Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wishes in SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
fistandantilus4.0
I was just looking over Dunkie's will today, and got to thinking about a couple of the bequests. Specifically, the ones that have the Draco Foundation "grant[ing] you one wish." There's also another rumored way to get "a wish" in T:AL at Chamber Rock, although it's suggested that you use the Wealth Power or something similar. But all this got me thinking about D&D and wishes and how it changes the balance and what it would be like in SR.

Then I started thinking about how much fun it would be for someone to get that ticket stub for Maria Mercurial's "one foray into Country music".

To any person who possesses a ticket stub to Maria Mercurial’s only foray into country music, performed at My Brother’s Place in the Nashville sprawl: present yourself to the Draco Foundation at any time, and the Foundation will grant you one wish. I believe the saying is, be careful what you wish for—you may well get it.

Something like the run with the Elemental Scrolls where everyone is going nuts trying to get the ticket stub and turn it in for the wish. Then I was thinking, what if the runners do it them selves? What if one of them tries to get a wish?

So what I'm looking for is some ideas of what people might wish for. Besides the stuff like 100 billion dollars. IF you could have one wish with a character, what would you wish for?
Lindt
Funny, I only missed one of his bequest dates by a few weeks. (born december 30th)

A free and clear SIN would be a pretty good start.
fistandantilus4.0
July my self. Now if only the crash would happen so that I can slightly alter my birth certificate......

BTW, there's like three different ways to get wishes in the will. The ticket stub, being born the day John Lennon died, and proving that you shoook hands with JFK (Because he seemed like a nice man).

So no wish Lindt?
Kremlin KOA
I wish that Dunky would return

Ah crap he's back as a cyberzombie AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
ShadowDragon8685
I'd have to Wish for Dunkie back, too.
hyzmarca
I'd like to know the motivation behind these three bequests. Was Dunkie just trying to mess witho our heads or is the Draco Foundation preparing some sort magic ritual that requires a ticket stub from this concert, someone who had physical contact with JFK, and someone born on the day John Lennon died to reunite the Beatles or something?

As for wishes, they always present problems. Altuistic wishes tend to backfire in worldshattering ways. If I wish for world peace it would probably be accomplished by killing every living being on Earth or it would create actuall world peace but the planet would be overrun by aliens armed with boards with nails in them after all weapons on Earth are destroyed. On the other hand, selfish wishes inevitably lead to the downfall of the wisher. If I wished for true physical immortality I'd probably be sentenced to life without parole. If I wished for wealth the IRS would probably smack me down.

Therefore, the only correct wish is one which benefits absolutly no one. I could wish for breasts, that's frivilous enough, but I could have some fun with them so I'd probably end up getting breast cancer. I could wish for the decriminalization of recreational drugs, also frivilous, but it is also an altuistic social change so it would cause unimaginable problems.

I can only think of some thing that is sutably frivilous and unselfish.
I'd wish for a ten story tall carnivorous sentient Teddy Ruxpin to be unleashed upon Detroit.
mfb
you know, i'm willing to bet that Dunk already knows what the people who will claim their wishes will wish for.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm still wondering why there havne't bee nany references to someone claiming the ticket one in canon. Has to have happened after 13 years.
Kremlin KOA
maybe not

or even worse

Me: "I wish for lots and lots of High grade, well bred, perfect quality, healthy, best in the world, PUSSY!"

GM: "You fnd yourself surrounded by top quality pedigree cats."

Me: "YAY! YAY! I GOT CATS!"

GM: "What?"

Me: "Just what I always wanted..."

GM: "You can't be Serious"

Me: "I start a cat breeding program, using my buddies here to hunt devil rats for food and raising these kitties for breeding and sale, making mucho nuyen in the process."

GM: "Huh?"

Me: "Given the ample supply of pedigree cats ya got me, and their high quality. I can breed enough Grade a Kittens for corporates' kids to support a luxury lifestyle and have the rest of the team as housemates."

GM: "but..."

Rest of the players "The Kitties are cute, we're in."

GM: "The mafia is going to muscle you out of this."

Me: "War on the Mob to protect our PUSSY EMPIRE!"

GM : *Bangs head on table*
Calvin Hobbes
A working spaceplane to go and solve that Mars pictures bequest. Plus, visiting fucking space.
ShadowDragon8685
Using one bequest to fill another? Niiiice.
nick012000
I'd wish for the IEs and GDs to reveal the truth about the Horrors to the public.
Muskie
Krem, Remind me never to grant you a Wish.

*sics DunkleZombie on you*
Muskie
I'd kinda wish for the Return of Dunkle-Sama myself, too, but that's cause I just get a Hard-on for dragons.

Maybe, say, half a million NuYen? Just enough for a permanent Luxurious Lifestyle. Oh. And that spaceplane idea sounds good too.. In Space, no-one can hear you Frag..
Ancient History
Cure for jack itch.
fistandantilus4.0
that's easy... jack powder
Ophis
eewww! thats ounds disgusting. Or is my mind just filthy?
Perssek
Dunkie´s a cyberzombie?!?!? When? Where? HOW?!?!
Ancient History
QUOTE (Perssek)
Dunkie´s a cyberzombie?!?!? When? Where? HOW?!?!

AH draws a circle. AH draws a picture of Perssek, outside of the circle.

The Dragonheart Trilogy
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Ophis)
eewww! that sounds disgusting. Or is my mind just filthy?

Knowing muskie, you were probably on the right track
SL James
QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes)
A working spaceplane to go and solve that Mars pictures bequest. Plus, visiting fucking space.

Watch your fucking mouth.
Kremlin KOA
why the fuck should he?
Nikoli
Funny, my dad fulfills the shook hands with JFK. He was on duty at his innargural ball and the Johnson and Kennedy we a little more than tipsy and stubled into my dad once or twice during the goings on. (He was with the 3rd Infantry, assigned to the detail that guards the President)
Calvin Hobbes
That is really cool.
ShadowDragon8685
That is in fact cool. Now all you have to do is have him cryo-frozen until such time as the Draco foundation exists, and he can get a Wishinator. smile.gif
mfb
pshaw. a Leonization treatment will fix him up right.
ShadowDragon8685
Unless he dosen't live long enough for those to become common/possible.
mfb
DO NOT QUESTION MY WISDOM
BookWyrm
Krem, you're a riot.
fistandantilus4.0
I wish I knew how to spell "pshaw" . oops... never mind !

Damn. Another wasted wish.
emo samurai
How do they grant wishes? Is it just an earthly ability to grant wishes given by their considerable resources, or is there a D&D djinni in a bottle that they have for the sake of collecting ticket stubs and hands lined with the vestiges of JFK's sweat?
fistandantilus4.0
I would assume it's an "earthly" thing. There was a Earthdawn version of genies called (IIRC) the Jinari. They had abilities like being able to create food and water, shelter, grant the ability to fly, and bestow some spell abilities. The Theran empire even trapped many of them in household items (like say... lamps). Oh, and the kicker, they had the ability to control horrors.
SL James
That's a pretty good ability to have.
fistandantilus4.0
yeah, not to shabby. IIRC, depending on how good they rolled, they could control the horror up to a year and a day. I think the minimum was either one hour, or one day. It's in the Thera boxed set.

That'd be funny to give to a shadowrunner. "Here is a jinari. They are what our legends of genies are based off of. They can create you food and shelter, grant the ability to fly, and even some spellcasting ability. Their greatest power.... well... honestly it's completely worthless for the next 2000 years. At least .... we hope so..."
emo samurai
Could they control Verjigorm?
fistandantilus4.0
technically, yes
likey?
hell no
emo samurai
Why not?
fistandantilus4.0
I don't know how familiar you are with the earthdawn system, but I'll assume not very since you're lacking most of the SR books.

So as best as I can explain it....

the jinari would roll it's spellcasting test. IIRC, their step dice would be around 10-15 for a skilled one. That has to beat Verjigorms spell defense, which is around 40. The Jinari's rol will average about equal to it's step dice. So that's already pretty unlikely, although not impossible.

There is a horror power called cursed luck. The horror makes it's spellcasting test (V's is around 32) against the spell defense of the jinari (around 12 I think). So that's pretty likely to succeed.Depending on the level of success (likely an excellent success at least) he would make 1 dice automatically come up as 1 for each level of success (average=1, good=2, excellent=3, extrordinary=4). On a step 15 test, they only get to roll 2 dice.(d20+d6 IIRC).

Plus, Verjigorm would most likely go first on initiative and kill the Jinari with one attack.

Does that explain better, or is it just more confusing? I may have missed something minor, like rolling against social defense instead of spell, but that's the gist of it.
Muskie
Hrmm. I just got one hell of an Idea. Thankyou.. n.n
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 9 2006, 08:46 AM)
I don't know how familiar you are with the earthdawn system, but I'll assume not very since you're lacking most of the SR books.

So as best as I can explain it....

the jinari would roll it's spellcasting test. IIRC, their step dice would be around 10-15 for a skilled one. That has to beat Verjigorms spell defense, which is around 40. The Jinari's rol will average about equal to it's step dice. So that's already pretty unlikely, although not impossible.

There is a horror power called cursed luck. The horror makes it's spellcasting test (V's is around 32) against the spell defense of the jinari (around 12 I think). So that's pretty likely to succeed.Depending on the level of success (likely an excellent success at least) he would make 1 dice automatically come up as 1  for each level of success (average=1, good=2, excellent=3, extrordinary=4). On a step 15 test, they only get to roll 2 dice.(d20+d6 IIRC).

Plus, Verjigorm would most likely go first on initiative and kill the Jinari  with one attack.

Does that explain better, or is it just more confusing? I may have missed something minor, like rolling against social defense instead of spell, but that's the gist of it.

You're right, I don't think Vergigorm would not waste karma on it, round one; virgy goes first, virgy eats djinn, virgy eats the guy that summoned the djinn, and then for fun throws them up and summones them as corpse cadavers then kills them again. Virgy is powerful enough to take on Lofwyr and another great dragon of your choice, and be confident of winning and almost certain of getting away alive.
ShadowDragon8685
Ankle, I find that somehow highly doubtful.

Frankly, I don't even want to contemplate the idea of the possibility of something powerful enough to take on Big D and Lofwyr in a rumble and do anything other than get it's ass totally pwned.

Now here's the rub, though. Are we talking Big D and Lofwyr, back in the Fourth World, or (since we're dealing in hypotheticals here), President Dunkhelzahn with the power of the United Canadian-American States and Lofwyr, Chairdragon and CEO of Saeder-Krupp Heavy Industries?

Because I think having access to Thor shots and strategic nukes will make a big difference.
Kanada Ten
Yes, Verjigorm using Thor Shots and nukes would make a big difference in the amount of suffering he could inflict.
hyzmarca
Verjigorm has access to astral space and may be dual natured so a thor shot or nuke wouldn't do much to it. If it has a single nature it could avoid the impact by shifting to the astral plane but it is more vulnerable. If it is dual natured (which is probably the case) it can just take a hit and keep on trucking because dual natured horrors only take wounds to one body at a time. If you kill its physical body its astral body will remain unharmed and it can simplly materialize a new physical form with some effort.
This ability is also what makes Nebis so dangerous to the adepts who try to fight it.

If the Jinari rolls agains tsocial defense then the best use of one would be to control Ristul. It doesn't have social defense.
Platinum
I would wish to run the Draco foundation for 1 year. Mix things up a little.
Kremlin KOA
Hyz that was a specific nebis trick

other horrors didn't get that level of duality

Also Dunk implied several times that this cyce the comb of magic and tech might be enough to defeat the horrors

ShadowDragon: Verjigorm is known as the hunter of great dragons. When he comes to town the GDs lock themselves up in themost secure shelters they can build, and hope he doesn't find them and break in. Dunk + Lof vs Verji = Vefji wins, Fatality

on the other hand if they each brought a carrier group and thor shots they could have a genuine chance

Wounded Ronin
I really think that Akira Toriyama did the best wish-based storytelling when he had Oolong jump in front of the general and waste the wish on the perfect pair of panties. It was so awesome not just because it was silly but because Oolong went and totally ruined it for someone who had been machinating for years to collect all the dragonballs.

That's what I'd want to happen in a SR campaign. Someone like Damien Knight gets the stub and is making this journey to the Draco foundation and after an enormous, terrific, epic struggle Harlequin or something steals it en route, only to be outwitted by [insert high powered cannon entity here] but in the end some moron gets it and goes and wishes for the perfect pair of panties.
Voran
Mmm. Or the perfect sandwich.
nick012000
GodzillaVerjigorm vs. Tokyo.
Muskie
Coming soon to a theatre near you: Dunklezahn Vs. Mothra!
craigpierce
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 8 2006, 12:52 PM)
That is in fact cool. Now all you have to do is have him cryo-frozen until such time as the Draco foundation exists, and he can get a Wishinator. smile.gif

his dad would also have to prove that it happened proof.gif

i would like to say that i'd wish for D. back, but i'm just not sure. a wish would go straight to your head like the money on 'deal or no deal'.

i'd probably do it as soon as i received the wish right there in the draco foundation so that they would all know i did it - in the hopes that he'd give me lots of money (or something equally great or greater) for my good deed on his behalf.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012