Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you a dude or a girl?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
there's even, i shit you not, a petrified wooden dildo. five thousand year-old sex toys.

Splinters. eek.gif That's all I have to say about that.
mmu1
I'm a human male.
Valentinew
QUOTE (mfb)
are there any 80% females out there?

lol

...ewwwww
hyzmarca
At is at this point that I'd like to restate my assertion that there is only one human gender that varies along a spectrum and the binary labels "male" and "famale" are, in fact, fallacious.
MK Ultra
funny
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 9 2006, 06:32 PM)
Yeah, very freaking funny.  There are no females on here.  Only naked, overweight men with grey hair sitting at their keyboards.

Dude, totally unrelated question. WR, you're on the dark continent right now, no? If so wherabouts are you?

Actually, I'm on the Federated States of Micronesia, formerly known as the Caroline Islands, in the Pacific ocean north of New Guinea.

BTW, I once knew a male who would pose as a female to decieve desperate and hopeless internet males. But I think he did it because he had female gender associations mentally and not just to giggle at how sad internet males really are.
Tiger Eyes
My group has 2 women in it and 4 men. You haven't seen fun roleplaying until you've had two hugely pregnant and very grumpy women playing characters with guns. Unless, of course, it was both of us nursing newborn infants while rolling dice to see how effective our grenade throw was...

Our GM has come a long way from the time, a decade ago, when he declared that "girls don't play shadowrun"... poor guy. rotfl.gif

Oh, and I'm one of the women.
Akimbo
Girl. There are more of us on the internet than most people think.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (ronin3338)

Personally, I've found that women bring a much-needed point of view to gaming groups, and I much prefer a balanced gaming group.

If you believe that I can't believe you missed this thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=11838
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
At is at this point that I'd like to restate my assertion that there is only one human gender that varies along a spectrum and the binary labels "male" and "famale" are, in fact, fallacious.

You're thinking of clownfish again.
nezumi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 10 2006, 04:41 PM)

You're thinking of clownfish again.

I think it's important to qualify hyzmarca's statement by pointing out he said 'gender', not 'sex'. There are two basic sexes with an assortment of possible anomalies, but gender has to do with a mental affiliation, and hence isn't so discrete.
Perssek
My gaming table now has 2 ever-present girls playing (one is my pregnant wife, the other is one of the guys´ girlfriend).

You can´t believe a woman can be more scheming, violent, blackmail-prone and overall destructive until you´ve seen her pregnant and playing SR4 with a full-cybered street samurai with 0.32 essence.

And shotguns with dikoted flechette - God, can´t forget that.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 10 2006, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Apr 10 2006, 02:25 AM)
Yeah, very freaking funny.  There are no females on here.  Only naked, overweight men with grey hair sitting at their keyboards.

Dude, totally unrelated question. WR, you're on the dark continent right now, no? If so wherabouts are you?

Actually, I'm on the Federated States of Micronesia, formerly known as the Caroline Islands, in the Pacific ocean north of New Guinea.

Oh ok, I seem to remember you saying you were doing some peace corp service, I thought you had said west africa...I could be thinking someone else if you're not in the peace corp.

Reason I asked: Ran accross a shot up mini-bus east of Korhogo at an abandoned rebel "checkpoint". They were long gone by the time we got there, but 3 volunteers were among the dead.

edit: Those were Red Cross volunteers, not peace corp...just thought I should clarify.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 10 2006, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Apr 10 2006, 02:25 AM)

Oh ok, I seem to remember you saying you were doing some peace corp service, I thought you had said west africa...I could be thinking someone else if you're not in the peace corp.

Reason I asked: Ran accross a shot up mini-bus east of Korhogo at an abandoned rebel "checkpoint". They were long gone by the time we got there, but 3 volunteers were among the dead.

edit: Those were Red Cross volunteers, not peace corp...just thought I should clarify.

Well, sometimes volunteers do die or disappear for a variety of reasons. There's a reason that Peace Corps has policies against getting involved in local political activities.

Actually, just very recently, a female Peace Corps volunteer in Tonga was killed by a shark. She had been at post just a couple of weeks and went swimming in the ocean with a local friend. A shark came and bit her only once as sharks often do when they realize that humans don't taste good to them. Unfortunately a single casual bite from a large shark can easily sever a leg at the thigh and that's what happened to this volunteer. She died very rapidly in the ocean from blood loss.

This is one of those deaths that is made more traumatic because the statistical odds of dying in a shark attack are very low; shark attacks are quite rare. It's one thing if someone dies of something common, like heart disease or an auto accident, because that happens to a lot of people. But when someone dies from something that is truly freakish and statistically remote like a shark attack I think that it really shakes people up more. The death really traumatized a lot of the Tonga volunteers; some of them quit service right after the death because they had been friends of the deceased.
TeOdio
QUOTE (FanGirl)

Hmm, I wonder what would convince you that I'm telling the truth about my gender. Perhaps I should tell you about what happens to my body when it's that time of the month? In rich and vivid detail? Believe me, no man could make that up. biggrin.gif

Unless they are married like I am. I am very familiar with Aunt Flo and her monthly visits to our house.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
"and she'll want you to taste the fruit of her loins,
but don't cause it'll taste like old rusty coins"
Stephen Lynch
Kremlin KOA
I grew up with a mother and two sisters
I am conversant with the machanics, psychology and general effects of PMS
Wounded Ronin
I read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus," and it made me deeply depressed. Now I honestly never want to get married, ever.
Kremlin KOA
Dude
Men are from Earth
Women are from Earth
Get over it
James McMurray
I answered dude, but that was probably fairly obvious from my name. smile.gif

WR: That book was designed to actentuate the differences between the "typical" members of the sexes. A lot of it was true, but it doesn't mean that there's no such thing as a woman you can't connect with because of your differences. Hell, if I didn't want differences I'd be dating guys. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Hell, if I didn't want differences I'd be dating guys. smile.gif

It makes me consider that ancient Greek idea that the closest and most meaningful relationships would be between people of the same gender. To borrow the words of another:

"Which relationship is more sincere? The one between yourself and a woman you feel attracted to, or to your male friend who you drink beers with, share interests with, and can always talk to? Just think about that..."

Some of the warmest and closest and most genuinely supportive relationships I've personally had with other people has been with sparring partners. But, unfortunately (and I seriously blame Barbie) it's a truly rare and exceptional woman who digs full contact and much to my disappointment in my personal experience they've often turned out to be lesbians.

To make this statement more applicable to general DSF membership, I've only met 2 women in the flesh over the course of my entire life who enjoyed RPGs.

Sometimes when I start to feel depressed about things like girlfriends in general I wonder if I'd be better off being gay. Maybe the ancient Greeks were really onto something.
Dranem
Hey, if you feel that way WR, go for it! Wouldn't be the first time a guy had trouble coping with that concept.
I, on the other hand, find little of physical appeal to the male form. I have more female friends than male friends... and after 10 years of marriage and 4 kids, I think I've more than confirmed for myself that I prefer women. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (The Tale of Genji)
Genji pulled the boy down beside him . . . Genji, for his part, or so one is informed, found the boy more attractive than his chilly sister.

~J
James McMurray
"Which relationship is more sincere? The one between yourself and a woman you feel attracted to, or to your male friend who you drink beers with, share interests with, and can always talk to? Just think about that..."

The one between myself and a woman friend I feel attracted to, drink beers with, share interests with, and can always talk to. smile.gif
nezumi
I'm with James. We fight for the dark beers. She demands I GM her RPG (it's her RPG because she's the only player because she didn't want to have to wait for other players). I can talk about anything with her and walk around naked in front of her, plus she's soft and squigy, which is pleasant. We have stopped sparring because she's pregnant and, in general, I accidentally hurt her in stupid ways (last time I stepped on her foot while I was barefoot and broke her toe nail).
Ankle Biter
Well one of the scariest characters I know in SR is run by female...

...though it could just be the specific female that runs that character.

I voted for dude, but only for lack of a bloke button. The oppression and sidelining of blokes in a dude-oriented culture must end!

I have played both males and females in gaming, mainly cos it's more or less a coin toss which I decide to go for in any specific game. I tend not to play females very well, as I end up playing a male steryotype of a female, and not notice until somebody points it out. I prefer playing males now as nobody minds if a bloke is hamming up a male steryotype.

There was a game where I played a rather young face character who had gone castrati in order to have a better vocal range for voice imitation purposes. Being able to pass as both a male and a female had certain advantages (for getting past guards looking out for you but as the wrong sex, for a really convincing yet easy to get into disguise, for comedy prank phone calls). For some reason all the other players thought I was sick. question.gif
John Campbell
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
There was a game where I played a rather young face character who had gone castrati in order to have a better vocal range for voice imitation purposes. Being able to pass as both a male and a female had certain advantages (for getting past guards looking out for you but as the wrong sex, for a really convincing yet easy to get into disguise, for comedy prank phone calls). For some reason all the other players thought I was sick. question.gif

Uh.... you know, they've got cyberware for that now.
Ryu
Sex? Yes plea... male it is.

Still trying to make my girlfriend join dumpshock, alltough not for gender-ratio issues.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (nezumi)
I'm with James. We fight for the dark beers. She demands I GM her RPG (it's her RPG because she's the only player because she didn't want to have to wait for other players). I can talk about anything with her and walk around naked in front of her, plus she's soft and squigy, which is pleasant. We have stopped sparring because she's pregnant and, in general, I accidentally hurt her in stupid ways (last time I stepped on her foot while I was barefoot and broke her toe nail).

Gee, lucky you. I've never met a female like that in the flesh. I've only seen a few on the internet who I am reasonably certain are female. (My joke about naked fat men aside.)

Re toe injuries I find that they're pretty common. I sprained my big toes several times in 4 years of judo and nasty toe jams against elbows are pretty common with any sort of standup. I'm a strong believer in wearing sneakers even if it means that kicks land a bit harder. I don't mind being kicked with sneakers or wrestling shoes at all.

I can take a harder kick to the gut but I'd rather not fuck up my toes again.
James McMurray
If you'll sparring frequently, especially with a wife / significant other, it would probably be a good idea to get soem padded sparring gear. Those big puffy shoes look silly, but they'll stop a lot of toe injuries.
Wounded Ronin
The santa boots? I used those a few times back when I was a teenager. Thing is, those were designed for point sparring. I don't think the foam will hold up very well to continuous full contact kicking. It only takes 1 year for that kind of thing to totally wear out and make holes at stress points in a pair of leather sneakers.

Still, though, it sounds reasonable enough to protect the toes if you really don't want to get clocked with sneaker.
James McMurray
By "sparring" (especially when girlfriends are mentioned) my mind instantly leaps to the low end of the spectrum, not the full contact end.
John Campbell
Helpful hint from a lady heavy fighter of my acquaintance: If you should happen to find a lady to spar with, and her doctor asks her where she got that nasty-looking bruise on her thigh, "Oh, I was fighting with my boyfriend," is not a good answer.
hyzmarca
And when the doctor asks you how you fractured your shin you can reply, "My girlfriend thai kicked me in the same spot repeatedly but she has a big bruise on her thigh because of it."

Of course, there is always the catchall answer of "Consentual Sadomasochism". That usually stops most inquiries.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 12 2006, 10:34 PM)
By "sparring" (especially when girlfriends are mentioned) my mind instantly leaps to the low end of the spectrum, not the full contact end.

Well, see, for me, that's precisely the problem. If all that I wanted was a McFlippy kick TKD woman, sure. But women who have the intestinal fortitude to train full contact who are not lesbians are extremely rare.

I never understand how there are young women all across the US in undergraduate colleges who are willing to jump on the extremely abstract and theoretical radical academic feminism bandwagon and yet there are almost none who are willing to learn to fight.

Note that fully resistant sparring can mean grappling as well.

EDIT: Which is less sensitive to body weight, you sickos! Man, glad I've caught that.
fistandantilus4.0
I felt secure in my ability to say 'dude', on my credentials of growing up in the California Bay Area. "dude" sadly is a regular part of my vocabulary in all honesty. Although I have never surfed or smoked out. Sad for me, I'm boring dude.

My wife.... well.... she hits first, back ,and later on when she remembers. We RP just the two of us occasionally, and with the group when they're there.

As for full contact... I have knocked my wife unconcious twice. She does have the occassional fainting spell now and again but she's mostly ok... biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
You're damn lucky. In the flesh I think I've only met 2 women who are really serious about RPGs and one of them actually sucked but didn't realize it.
James McMurray
Have you tried, or just hung out at the gaming shop with friends? Going to rennaissance faires with gaming friends you'll sometimes just stumble across them. Join a rennaissance dance class, too, they're all over the place in those. smile.gif
James McMurray
Note: I'm not saying that you should try, just being curious. Nosy, not preechy. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Have you tried, or just hung out at the gaming shop with friends? Going to rennaissance faires with gaming friends you'll sometimes just stumble across them. Join a rennaissance dance class, too, they're all over the place in those. smile.gif

That's a reasonable suggestion. The truth is that I haven't spent too much time at gaming stores. Usually they're very rare and hard to find. I've also never been to a RenFaire. And yet, your suggestion is very reasonable. Perhaps the next chance I get I should visit a gaming store or RenFaire.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
You're damn lucky.

I like to think so. Really, she can't fight for crap, but that never stops her from trying. The funny thing is, if we're messing around and she socks me in the jaw on accident, no big deal (although I hate being punched in the ear). But if we ever try to play racquet ball together... oh my GOD! Lawyers on the frickin' phone! sarcastic.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 13 2006, 01:54 AM)
You're damn lucky.

I like to think so. Really, she can't fight for crap, but that never stops her from trying.

Heh. I've actually known one obese woman who was like that. The problem with her was that she would just gas so quickly on account of her obesity.

On the flip side, though, I've seen some wonderful young women who fought very well for the amount of time they've been training. I've seen one, a bullshido.net poster, who after training for maybe a year had some wonderful head movement and evasion going on which some people who have trained for years still haven't implemented yet. There are some women who really fight well in spite of all the social odds stacked against that and for that they really have my admiration.

The funny thing is, if we're messing around and she socks me in the jaw on accident, no big deal (although I hate being punched in the ear).

Mwah hwah hwah, that's why you have to keep your guard up. It also helps to get punched a lot in the head so you get used to it. :3

But if we ever try to play racquet ball together... oh my GOD! Lawyers on the frickin' phone!  sarcastic.gif

Heh, blunt trauma. rotfl.gif
Taran
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
You're damn lucky. In the flesh I think I've only met 2 women who are really serious about RPGs and one of them actually sucked but didn't realize it.

If James McMurray's advice doesn't work for you, you can try evangelizing. I've got over a dozen woman gamers in my circle of friends, but I trained all but one of them myself.
fistandantilus4.0
I think that's called a "harem"

or in the case of 'evangelizing', a "cult"
Taran
Yeah, too bad they're scattered over the face of the United States, otherwise I could get my Waco on, and give gaming in general and SR in specific even more bad press. biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
and koolaid

remember, the first step is removing them from their other friends. Do that, then get them to move to you. The next step is to weaken their own identity. The easiest way to do that is to take away their names. Maybe have them all go by character names (you are making them all by hot lesbian elves with dikoted all spirits, right?). Then weaken their will by depriving them of sleep. Say.. all night gaming sessions. You're on the right track, you have the tools you need.

Good thing this is all hypothetical...... right?
nezumi
WR - CNN has been doing a bunch of articles on how violence in women is going up. Maybe your day is coming soon!!

Fistandantilus - The final step is those women who reach a particular level get to learn real magic and join your secret circle.
FanGirl
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
and koolaid

remember, the first step is removing them from their other friends. Do that, then get them to move to you. The next step is to weaken their own identity. The easiest way to do that is to take away their names. Maybe have them all go by character names (you are making them all by hot lesbian elves with dikoted all spirits, right?). Then weaken their will by depriving them of sleep. Say.. all night gaming sessions. You're on the right track, you have the tools you need.

Good thing this is all hypothetical...... right?

Reminds me of the Chick Track about DnD. . .

Don't be stupid, Debbie!
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 13 2006, 02:26 AM)
But if we ever try to play racquet ball together... oh my GOD! Lawyers on the frickin' phone!  sarcastic.gif

Hey! Lawyers aren't that bad, well I sure hope I'm not gonna be considered scum. nyahnyah.gif

Oh yeah, dude over here btw.
Just Pete
Dude here.

But....I have raised two (count them, 2!) female gamers. My job is done here.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 13 2006, 02:26 AM)

Hey! Lawyers aren't that bad, well I sure hope I'm not gonna be considered scum. nyahnyah.gif

Oh yeah, dude over here btw.

see , this is where I explain a joke which automatically makes it less funny.
The point being that when we play racquet ball that we fight so much that we start splitting up our things in the beginnings of a seperation. Thank god the game's only an hour long.

See , not as funny anymore. But hey, if you're a lawyer, I could call you. THat would be fine, as long as you're in the US. Long distance and all that. And me being cheap and poor to boot.

Fangirl: yay Dark Dungeons! That was the one that got me in to D&D! I love those little pamphlets!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012