Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A matter of firearm nostalgia...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pendaric
I started to reminisce about my days playing CP 2020 with the release of .3 and all the shotgun goodness of shotgun cocktails and Arasaka fully auto combat shotgun. Another favorite was the Tri Star pistol.
So in homage here's a simple house rule for heavy guage shotgun shells or otherwise known as the ball bearing shotgun round. This is not a classic duo round as there is three to nine ball bearingings in the shell. Enjoy

Stage the damage code up one as in shotgun flechette ammo but treat the intervening armour and barriers as a normal round.
The power of the shot decreases according to the set choke of the shotgun as per standard shotgun spread rules.
The width spread of the shot is done in half meter insted of full meter increments.

10 rounds cost 50 nuyen.gif

Simple but effective.
I loved scaring my players with these but remember they will end up in there hands at some point. Hope this is useful to some one out there.
KarmaInferno
Er, these shotgun shells differ from standard steel shot shells how?

And Auto Assault 12 for your full auto shotgun goodness. With 20 round drum.

Oooh that AA12 is nice. Especially with those explosive rounds.
Austere Emancipator
Meh. I prefer the CAWS. How can you not love tungsten buckshot that's effective at over 100 meters?
Shrike30
Define "effective?" H&K did, after all, try to bring the "effective" 20mm airburst grenade into existence...
Austere Emancipator
Alliant Techsystems was responsible for the 20mm munitions, so don't try pinning that on HK. mad.gif

It's a 3" brass belted magnum firing tungsten shot. With 00 or 000 buck, the individual pellets would be like .380 Auto bullets, only fired at a far greater velocity. Several of those should still be capable of hurting you at 100 meters. No idea how they managed with choke, though.
Blaze
If you're feeling incredibly sick and wrong, the Firearm Customisation rules do allow you to modify a BF weapon (saaaay, an Enfield AS7 with 50-round drum) to fire FA. Sure, you're taking an additional point of recoil and doubling the uncompensated, but when you've got the requisite Foregrip, Gas Vent IV, Shock Pad and Cyberarm Gyromount to compensate, it doesn't matter too much.

Query: How would you combine the rules for shotgun spread with the rules for searching/covering fire? It'd certainly make it easier- with all that shot in the air you're bound to hit something (even if it's yourself). wink.gif

-JH.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Blaze @ Apr 11 2006, 09:29 AM)
If you're feeling incredibly sick and wrong, the Firearm Customisation rules do allow you to modify a BF weapon (saaaay, an Enfield AS7 with 50-round drum) to fire FA.

I had a player do that.

Let's just say of "non-lethal" ammunition quickly becomes "quite lethal" when full auto comes into play.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Er, these shotgun shells differ from standard steel shot shells how?

And Auto Assault 12 for your full auto shotgun goodness. With 20 round drum.

Duo meaning two or binary. I did not say these shells did not exist in reality, I said they did not exist in SR. So enjoy.
Hmmm fully auto shotguns....
Blaze
Full-Auto shotguns are a great way of telling your players: Do not approach within 100 metres of this location.

Problems ensue, of course, when the players get hold of this kit and vaporise a gang hideout in a drive-by.

As an aside, I've employed the same rules mechanic (flechette damage/spread rules but dealing with armour as regular rounds) for handling dikoted flechettes.

Also, considering that shotguns are pretty much designed to fire buckshot, is it conceivable that standard flechette rounds for such a weapon (ie. your standard double-ought buck shell) should be costed as regular ammo as opposed to the extortionate price for fletch rounds?

-JH.
Pendaric
It only a problem when you havnt planned for it wink.gif, FIB forensic labs.....biggrin.gif
Fix-it
QUOTE (Blaze)
Also, considering that shotguns are pretty much designed to fire buckshot, is it conceivable that standard flechette rounds for such a weapon (ie. your standard double-ought buck shell) should be costed as regular ammo as opposed to the extortionate price for fletch rounds?

-JH.

that's what standard round ARE. flechette rounds are tungsten(or some other metal) darts.

Kinda like this
Wounded Ronin
I always thought that SR would benefit from less fantasy cartridges and more attention to real ammuntion, such as actual different types of shot for your shotgun instead of having magical flechette meaning "generic shot".
Shrike30
QUOTE (AE)
Alliant Techsystems was responsible for the 20mm munitions, so don't try pinning that on HK. mad.gif

*shrug* Okay, HK just advertised it.

QUOTE (AE)
It's a 3" brass belted magnum firing tungsten shot. With 00 or 000 buck, the individual pellets would be like .380 Auto bullets, only fired at a far greater velocity. Several of those should still be capable of hurting you at 100 meters. No idea how they managed with choke, though.

What kinds of velocities are we talking here? I'd assume the case design was intended to give the weapon higher operating pressures, so I'm curious what they managed to squeeze out of it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shrike30)
*shrug* Okay, HK just advertised it.

No worries, I was just making fun of my own rabid H&K fanboyishness. smile.gif

As for the velocity, I can only guess. The pressures will certainly be higher than with basic 3" 12G, but then tungsten shot is also a lot heavier so either that means less pellets or (I think more likely) some velocity is traded in. 9 tungsten 00-pellets weigh in at 1.6-1.8 ounces, which even a normal 3" 12G could fire at ~1200-1300fps. With that kind of load, you'd think the CAWS could manage at least 1400fps -- that'd make for about 350ft-lbs of kinetic energy per pellet at the muzzle, in 9x19mm territory.

[Edit]For reference, a basic 12G 2-3/4" 00-buck defense load fires 9 00 pellets weighing 54gr each at 1200fps, which means 173ft-lbs per pellet at the muzzle, and slowing down faster because of lower sectional density.[/Edit]
Blaze
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Blaze @ Apr 11 2006, 03:33 PM)

-JH.

that's what standard round ARE. flechette rounds are tungsten(or some other metal) darts.

Kinda like this

As I understand it, 'Regular' ammunition for a shotgun in SR is a slug- if you want to fire buckshot, then by the letter of the rules you have to buy flechette ammunition at ca. 20¥ a shell (away from books so I can't confirm that price). So as I said, when buying shotgun ammo, should 'flechette' shells (in actuality buckshot shells) be costed the same as Regular ammo rather than the extortionate rate?

As to actual flechettes in shotguns, this is interesting reading.

-JH.
Raygun
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
As for the velocity, I can only guess. The pressures will certainly be higher than with basic 3" 12G, but then tungsten shot is also a lot heavier so either that means less pellets or (I think more likely) some velocity is traded in. 9 tungsten 00-pellets weigh in at 1.6-1.8 ounces, which even a normal 3" 12G could fire at ~1200-1300fps. With that kind of load, you'd think the CAWS could manage at least 1400fps -- that'd make for about 350ft-lbs of kinetic energy per pellet at the muzzle, in 9x19mm territory.

Considering that there are a lot of conventional 12 gauge buckshot loads that advertise 1,325 fps, I'd definitely say that the CAW would push at least 1,400 fps. I think 1,700-1,800 fps would be possible, looking at how they'd intended to jack up chamber pressures.

Here's a head scratcher for you...

QUOTE (Daniel E. Watters)
Special Purpose Individual Weapons
While the SPIW/SFR projects were effectively dead, AAI never really gave up on the concept. In June 1978, AAI published the document "Proposal for the Development of Improved Small Arms Fléchette Ammunition." During the Close Assault Weapon System (CAWS) program of the early/mid-'80s, AAI's special 12 Gauge cartridge launched eight large fléchette, each reportedly weighing close to 31 grains, at nearly 1950fps. Olin, in support of HK's CAW, also offered a fléchette load, using twenty much smaller projectiles at a much higher velocity (~2950fps).

He's obviously not talking about the tungsten buckshot load, but still... 2,950 fps? Yikes.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
I think 1,700-1,800 fps would be possible, looking at how they'd intended to jack up chamber pressures.

I was originally going to say "could be anywhere from around 1300 to 1800fps", but then I started worrying about the recoil. 720gr of buckshot at 1800fps from a 9lb weapon would mean a recoil energy of 77.6ft-lbs @ 23.6fps and 6.81lb/s of impulse, assuming a modest 60gr of propellant. Even with an action that's design to reduce felt recoil, that seems pretty hefty.

QUOTE (Raygun)
Yikes.

Yeah, that sounds pretty scary. I guess it couldn't've been very effective or else they'd be using loads like that, but at least you'd think that'd extend the effective range of the CAWS well into the hundreds of meters.
Shrike30
I think your problem at those kind of ranges would be getting the flechettes to stick to a tight enough pattern to make hits reliable.

Nearly 3kfps, though? Damn. eek.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I think your problem at those kind of ranges would be getting the flechettes to stick to a tight enough pattern to make hits reliable.

Firing 200 flechettes in 2.5 seconds, you'd probably hit something. smile.gif
Shrike30
Yeah... your eyebrow on the rear of the scope nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Firing 200 flechettes in 2.5 seconds, who needs a scope? wink.gif

~J
Shrike30
You don't need it, necessarily, but it's mounted on top of the gun. You want to fire a belted 3" mag on cyclic without shouldering the gun, be my guest... nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Not on any picture of the CAWS I've ever seen. Link?

~J
Shrike30
hkpro.com is a decent picture resource. On further review, they don't *all* have scopes, but the handle was built to mount one.
Austere Emancipator
Notice how they've included a large rubber eye-rest for just such a contingency. smile.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I was originally going to say "could be anywhere from around 1300 to 1800fps", but then I started worrying about the recoil. 720gr of buckshot at 1800fps from a 9lb weapon would mean a recoil energy of 77.6ft-lbs @ 23.6fps and 6.81lb/s of impulse, assuming a modest 60gr of propellant. Even with an action that's design to reduce felt recoil, that seems pretty hefty.

It does, but I think you might be figuring the payload a bit heavy. Olin's patent for the tungsten buckshot wad (US4815388) states six to twelve pellets with a diameter between 0.6-0.7cm (0.236-0.275"), which would mean #4 to #2 buckshot. The patent regarding the tungsten alloy used (US4428295; directly referenced in the above patent) doesn't state an exact ratio, but suggests a range from 50/50 to 70/30 tungsten/lead. So, near as I can figure, we're looking at a payload that's around 444 grains for twelve #2 buckshot, 50/50. (A 70/30 mix brings the payload mass up to 575 grains.)

In that case, I'm getting 32.6 fpe @ 14.9 fps with an impulse of 4.61 lbs/s (60gr powder, 1800 fps MV, 9.5 lbs gun). Still a good chunk of recoil, but significantly more managable. The CAW appears to be long recoil operated (with the high pressure loads, anyway) and that would take most of the sting out of the recoil, and coupled with the low ROF, could even make burst fire useful. Still, an effective range of 150 meters seems like it's really pushing it.

Yeah, that sounds pretty scary. I guess it couldn't've been very effective or else they'd be using loads like that, but at least you'd think that'd extend the effective range of the CAWS well into the hundreds of meters.

Yeah. Watters is usually pretty good about fact-checking, but I can't help but question that figure. That's really fast. If they were anything like those listed on the Sabot Designs LLC site, we're talking about something like a 160 grain load. SDLLC talks about 19 flechettes moving at 1950 fps from a slightly higher-than-average pressure 2 3/4" load.

According to the patents, it looks like the flechette loads weren't getting the kind of accuracy they wanted at the ranges they were working at, so they developed the tungsten-lead buckshot load.

Oddly enough, mixed tungsten loads have been getting pretty popular over the last few years for waterfowl hunting on account of their ability to retain energy at longer ranges; Federal's Tungsten-Iron, Kent's Tungsten-Matrix, Remington's Hevi-Shot, etc... So CAWS did lead to something good for the commercial market. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Raygun)
Looking at Olin's patent for the tungsten buckshot wad (US4815388) states six to twelve pellets with a diameter between 0.6-0.7cm (0.236-0.275"), which would mean #4 to #2 buckshot.

Damn, gotta learn to check the patents. So I guess they went with the "less pellets" instead of lower velocity. smile.gif

QUOTE (Raygun)
According to the patents, it looks like the flechette loads weren't getting the kind of accuracy they wanted at the ranges they were working at, so they developed the tungsten-lead buckshot load.

It feels somehow strange on the face of it that the fast, aerodynamic arrow projectiles spread more than shot. The TGZ SPIW-article mentions the same sort of thing, though ("the AAI and Steyr fléchette cartridges were considered to be less accurate than their conventional projectile rivals"). Does the flechette pattern kind of blow out as they start arranging themselves right out of the muzzle, or is there some other effect here that screws the arrow-shaped projectiles?
Raygun
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 13 2006, 11:07 AM)
It feels somehow strange on the face of it that the fast, aerodynamic arrow projectiles spread more than shot.

EDIT: Sorry, that made no sense. Up a little too late last night, got the patents mixed up (I looked at quite a few of them last night).

The tungsten-lead shot was developed to outperform conventional lead-antimony 00 buckshot loads used by the military, not to compete with flechette loads.

Here's another kind of strange sabot design that they had figured out for the CAWS cartridge (US4479438). This one seems to suggest eight 000 buckshot, which would make for a much heavier load (685 grains 50/50). However, of the pictures of the CAWS ammo I've seen, the buckshot loads seem to go along more with the description from US4815388 rather than this one.

The TGZ SPIW-article mentions the same sort of thing, though ("the AAI and Steyr fléchette cartridges were considered to be less accurate than their conventional projectile rivals"). Does the flechette pattern kind of blow out as they start arranging themselves right out of the muzzle, or is there some other effect here that screws the arrow-shaped projectiles?

I'm not sure if there's much more than this going on, but here's something from another relevant patent:

QUOTE (US4935177)
2. Description of the Prior Art

It is well-known to provide an ammunition round, such as a shotshell, which contains a densely packed load of flechettes in place of ordinary round shot. A flechette typically has a long thin needle-like body with a pointed tip on its leading end and radially-projecting circumferentially-spaced fins on its trailing end like an arrow, or is heavy at the front and lighter at the back like a spear.

Due to their configurations, problems can arise if the flechettes are not properly packed and supported together in the shell casing. Flechette fins are thin and tend to bend upon launching if the flechettes are packed loosely together and inadequately supported relative to one another so as to allow contact between adjacent fins. Once bent the fins fail to properly guide the flechettes after they exit the muzzle of the gun barrel. Also, flechette misalignment and lack of adequate support to withstand accelerating forces can cause buckling and bending of the flechette bodies in the bore of the gun, resulting in undesirable yawing as they exit the muzzle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012