Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blood spillage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TheOneRonin
Come on guys...you don't seriously think that a taser dart has the velocity to penetrate a 1/2" to 3/4" ceramic plate, do you?

And yes, if you happen to get a lucky shot and miss the ballistic insert, sure. But that's gotta be what...4-5 net hits at least? That is not going to be a common occurrence. Which abstractly means that good body armor should pretty much make you immune to taser hits.
Kremlin KOA
some new armors have triet titaniumalloysto replace ceramic

much more expensive, but more effective
Azralon
Aaaaabstraaaaact.

Just keep repeating it.

Aaaaaaabstraaaaaaaact.
TheOneRonin
Agree with "abstract".

But "abstract" doesn't mean that that a non-magical, non-augmented metahuman can outrun a Ferrari Enzo.

"Abstract" doesn't mean that if I spill my Dasani bottle, the water goes up instead of down.

And "abstract" doesn't mean that a smaller, lighter, slower projectile has a better chance of penetrating a ballistic plate then a larger, faster, heavier projectile.

Just because Shadowrun rules are an abstraction doesn't mean that it's okay to abandon reason, logic, and physics.

Azralon
I just posted this elsewhere mere moments ago:

QUOTE (me)

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Apr 20 2006, 12:34 PM)
not a taser round, buildingignores stun damage

But, Krem! I shot it in the sprinkler system sensor, creating a short-circuit that lead to disruptive feedback across the security grid that caused every electrical junction box in the building to spontaneously ignite. The fire will consume the entire building shortly since the sprinklers are offline and the security guys can't even call for help.

So, yeah, I'm not advocating the abandonment of realism. I'm just saying that the game mechanics can't tell the whole story.
Gorath
Hmmm, just to make a new input into the lethal vs. non-lethal discussion.

As i read about minguns. What do you think about a minigun with gel ammunition used for surpressive fire. That knockdown effect could make things very worse for grunts that don't make their dodge... biggrin.gif

Gorath
TheOneRonin
If you are going to suppress, regular ball ammo is better than gel rounds any day.

Gel rounds are 50% more expensive and the "knockdown" effect is suboptimal when compared to the "sucking chest wound" effect of ball ammo.

James McMurray
Unless you don't want to kill them. smile.gif

Plus gel round ammo will drop them faster than ball ammo because it does better damage, often against lower armor.

You may not get the same psychological effect as you'd get when the guy explodes into red mist. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Why oh why would you use a minigun if you don't want to kill people? That's like using MLRS for crowd control.

Anyhow, M80 ball worked just fine for the Terminator.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Unless you don't want to kill them. smile.gif

Killing isn't the point of suppressive fire. Suppression is. Killing is just a nice bonus.

Plus gel round ammo will drop them faster than ball ammo because it does better damage, often against lower armor.

Too bad that makes absolutely zero sense, even though it is RAW. I think I'm going to go spill my milk and watch it go up...

You may not get the same psychological effect as you'd get when the guy explodes into red mist. smile.gif

The Psychological effect is EXACTLY what makes suppressive fire work. You will keep your head down because you don't want to die. If the worst case scenerio is bruises and minor concussion, then people will NOT BE SUPPRESSED.
James McMurray
Maybe because you want to really hurt them and suppress the area well?

The terminator doesn't live in a world where gel rounds do more damage. wink.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
The Psychological effect is EXACTLY what makes suppressive fire work. You will keep your head down because you don't want to die. If the worst case scenerio is bruises and minor concussion, then people will NOT BE SUPPRESSED.

I would be. Gel rounds can kill too, especially if I'm a mook with a single condition monitor. If I'm a runner I'd probably rather be dead than captured, depending on how evil my GM is.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Apr 20 2006, 01:11 PM)
The Psychological effect is EXACTLY what makes suppressive fire work.  You will keep your head down because you don't want to die.  If the worst case scenerio is bruises and minor concussion, then people will NOT BE SUPPRESSED.

I would be. Gel rounds can kill too, especially if I'm a mook with a single condition monitor. If I'm a runner I'd probably rather be dead than captured, depending on how evil my GM is.

You aren't someone trained to deal with firearm threats. Most people I know who are would glady take the threat of severe bruising if it increases the chance of being able to neutralize your opponent.

To me, part of what makes Shadowrun enjoyable as an RPG is the ability to apply conventional wisdom to most in-game situations and have it work. As a player, you shouldn't have to "metagame" to be able to figure out what actions do/don't make sense. The whole "I'm a mook with a single condition monitor" or "actions determined by evilness of GM" is all metagame thinking which shouldn't really influence a character's behavior. Ducking from incoming fire makes sense IRL, and makes sense in the game too. Standing in the middle of it because "ZOMG i got 15 dice in my dodge pool FTW!!!!!!111!!!!1!1" is pure craptastic thinking and totally blows one's suspension of disbelief. You might as well play a boardgame at that point.

If that works okay in your games, then great. But I think plenty of Shadowrun players like to play a game where you don't have to metagame your way to victory.

James McMurray
I never said I was trained. Heck, I even specified that I was a mook. smile.gif

I totally agree that you may as well play a board game if you're standing in the middle of a bunch of fire because you have a high dodge pool. Either that or a more cinematic game where that actually makes sense. smile.gif
Waltermandias
We generally use lethal force for several reasons. First of all, the non-lethal options tend to feel a little munchkiny to us. We've house-ruled them to be less badass, but they still leave a poor taste in our mouths. Now, if a run calls for it (i.e. kidnap this guy) obviously we'll use it. Plus, we have no trouble using them against civilians. We figure that it doesn't matter if non-lethal weapons are overpowered when we are using them against folks with no combat skills whom we could dispatch easily anyway.

Our second reason for using lethal weaponry is to force surrenders. We feel that most cops and security guards are pretty eager to surrender once it becomes clear that they are outgunned and their very lives are on the line. After a few guards get several limbs broken by our bone-laced spinning Capoera death-dwarf and the speedy elf adept of critical strikey goodness, they generally start thinking that discretion is emphatically the better part of valor and lay down their guns. We are always happy to accept a surrender and carry plenty of zip-strips. This sometimes kills people, but more often just leaves a bunch of people in need of medical attention that we presume the corp provides. Or doesn't. We don't really care really as we are Shadowrunners, not good people.

Finally, we use lethal force since we are BAD PEOPLE. We commit crimes for money. Sometimes pretty terrible crimes. We lie, cheat, steal, kidnap, murder, and blow stuff up. People often suffer substantially as a direct result of our actions. Actions we take for the almighty Nuyen. It seems a bit disingenuous to have a character that is willing to do these things, yet strangely holds to a strict no-killing morality.
James McMurray
Not morality, belief in the goodness of having fewer people want you dead. smile.gif
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I never said I was trained. Heck, I even specified that I was a mook. smile.gif

I totally agree that you may as well play a board game if you're standing in the middle of a bunch of fire because you have a high dodge pool. Either that or a more cinematic game where that actually makes sense. smile.gif

First off, I'd like to apologize. I decided to re-read the entire thread, and in addition to derailing it, my posts have come across pretty hostile. Not my intent, but it's just been that sort of day. sarcastic.gif

Secondly, I gonna harp on my disdain for the term "mook". It seems to be most often used to describe minimally statted opponenets that are nothing more than a minor roadblock for the runners. I firmly believe that this type of opposition should be the exception, not the rule. While sec guards may not be nearly as skilled as the runners, they should present a significant challenge...and do so if played properly. Now, I'm all for making the bookkeeping go faster, but I'll never use the word "mook" to describe opposition. I just think that paints the wrong picture for the runners.
Piecemeal
meh, if you use Stun Takedowns during a run with the objective of theft (as an example)... the owner of said yoinked item probably weighs the items theft far above any non-lethality incurred by his/her security contingent. and since 90% or more of the security contingent survives... you do indeed have more enemies to contend with later as they might be part of the recovery team.

six of one. half dozen of the other.
neither is the end all, be all.
use what you want; just be ready to accept the consequences.
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Not morality, belief in the goodness of having fewer people want you dead. smile.gif

So, ethics. cool.gif
Waltermandias
I certainly agree that leaving less bodies around is a good thing, I just feel that using "non-lethal" weapons isn't necessary. In our games, unless someone is an utter hard-ass, he falls down and stays down if he gets hit for any real damage. A security guard staring at 6-8 boxes of physical damage is hurt, and hurt bad. He needs medical attention, but he will probably survive if said attention is administered relatively quickly. In our games it is pretty rare for someone to take more then that in one go, so fatalities are usually avoided. Generally the only people who die are very unlucky people who take above average attacks and roll below average soaks, or fall off tall things, or what have you. And crazy hardcore types that don't surrender when they should. We shrug of the former as an unfortunate necessity of our line of work and the latter as people we would rather have dead than looking for us later anyway. The rest of our opponents are generally left lying on the ground either having surrendered in the place of superior firepower or after having received semi-serious but treatable injuries. In either case we have a low body count without resorting to tasers, gel rounds, and the like.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Between knocking a guy unconscious yet leaving him alive and killing the same guy, I'd say the former has a better chance of making him want you dead. Sure, there's always the possibility of family and friends, but there comes a point where it is far better to use lethal force.
Shrike30
Gel rounds, stick-n-shock, and tasers are all well and good, but they really suck when you find yourself trying to shoot through anything. For that matter, so do explosive rounds. The minute you get someone behind some glass, in a vehicle, or in some other random spot where I can generally rule there's an object between them solid enough to noticeably deflect a bullet, all of those ammo types largely become ineffective. Nothing quite like realizing you're about to get run down by a car, trying to punch off a couple of quick rounds at the driver before you dodge out of the way, and watching them go bang when that EX ammo hits the windshield. Startle the hell outta the driver, probably blow a big hole in the windshield, but a lot of this ammo is specifically designed NOT to penetrate hard surfaces... and I make people aware of that. Regular/APDS ammunition really does have it's place.
hyzmarca
Ex Explosive is just as good as APDS for shooting through barriers.
kigmatzomat
IMO the "smart" runners, aka the ones who do it professionally as a career vs. the ones who do it because they've got no other choice, tend to be big on flexibility. Gangers do what gangers do well and they really don't take jobs that don't hit their niche. A pro runner should be able to hit multiple job types without blinking. Carrying non-lethal ordinance is just as much a requirement as a good suit. Anyone remember the quote from the Ork Samurai archetype in the original Street Sam Guide? IIRC:

QUOTE (Ork Samurai Archetype)

I am very pleased to meet you.  Oh, I'm sorry, the tusks do tend to throw people off.  I've found that a nice suit, manners, and good grooming are better than firearms at getting into many places.  Although if you want I can play to form as the job requires.  Howsaboutit, whose legs ya wanna get smashed up?" 

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Waltermandias)
  Generally the only people who die are very unlucky people who take above average attacks and roll below average soaks, or fall off tall things, or what have you. 

...like being a mundane & getting hit by combat spells.
Waltermandias
Bah! Our mage isn't that badass, and thus doesn't cast spells at high force if he can avoid it. If he nails someone with a force 4 combat spell it is pretty unlikely to geek someone. Although, I do remember the time he got 7 or 8 successes on his casting and blew some poor slob to bits. But like I said, these cases are pretty rare.
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 20 2006, 03:11 PM)

Between knocking a guy unconscious yet leaving him alive and killing the same guy, I'd say the former has a better chance of making him want you dead. Sure, there's always the possibility of family and friends, but there comes a point where it is far better to use lethal force.

I tend to think that the average joe is highly unlikely to want to hunt you down and kill you for beating him up. The average father is almost certainly going to want you dead for killing his kid. But difference games have different styles, and as you said, lethal has it's place.
hyzmarca
Mathmatically, the relation between body count and the number of people who want you dead is an inverse parabola. At first, the number of potential revenge seekers rises as the body count increases. However, as you kill off more and more potnetial revenge seekers they'll have fewer survivors to take revenge.

This is the "and his whole family too" method of risk managment.

When just stunning them, the number of potential revenge seekers rises more slowly with respect to stun count but it never falls.
Voran
Heh.

Ah crap. We killed one of them. Darnit now we have to whack the whole building.
TheOneRonin
I think the revenge thing is REALLY over used on these boards.

First off, while many family members/friends would want revenge for the death of a loved one, most don't have the means to deliver that revenge. Not everyone has combat skills and underworld contacts. Most would just rely on law enforcement/corporate security to bring you to justice.

Secondly, there is the self-preservation thing. If joe-bob the salesman's wife gets killed in a high security corporate highrise by masked, SMG-toting people who managed to bypass the building's security system, I SERIOUSLY doubt he is going to have any delusions of being able to track them down and dispatch them. He's gonna be like "Yeah, if I would happen to see one of them somewhere, me and my 6 other corp suit buddies are gonna kick his ass!", but we all know how that would turn out.

Thirdly, the majority of corp-types are going to generally be law-abiding citizens. And as much as they want revenge, many will hesistate to commit murder to get it. They certainly don't want to spend the rest of their lives in prison, even if it means they killed their loved one's killer.

Fourth, when that middle-class joe decides that he has enough gumption and disposable income to actually try tracking down the team responsible for his wife's death, he is gonna run into a world of problems. First off, he is gonna stick out like a sore thumb when trying to work in the shadows. You will find out about his snooping LONG before he gets close to you. And second, he is likely going to be rubbing elbows with dangerous folk in his mission to find you. That is just as likely to get him killed as anything else.

So in general, I believe that Shadowrunners don't need to fear the "revenge factor" as much as these boards would lead you to believe.

Now, there are a few exceptions to this, and I'll list a few examples:

#1. The victim was related to/friends with someone wealthy/powerful. For example, that corporate secretary you geeked could be the favorite niece of a Yakuza Oyabun, or the daughter of a UCAS Senator. Those types of people have the means necessary to find you. But the rich and powerful are only going to have so many offspring/relatives. While a possible scenario, it's not very likely.

#2. The victim was related to/friends with a highly-trained person who could be a real threat to the Runners (other runners, Military SpecOps, Corp Strike Team, etc.) Again, this sort of people can make life for the runners complete hell. But it's not going to happen every run. Or every other run. Or anywhere near that fequent unless your GM is particularly nasty.

#3. The victim belonged to a tight-knit organization that has the means to seek revenge. Killing cops or mafiosi is likely to get you in this boat. This is much more likely to happen than either #1 or #2. And smart runners will keep this in mind.

Bottom line, geeking wageslaves is NOT an automatic death sentance from revenge-seeking loved ones. Not even close.
TheOneRonin
Oh, and I agree with Hyzmarca , but for different reasons.

Kill 5 people, "We want revenge!"

Kill 10 people, "This guy has to be stopped!"

Kill 50 people, "Fuck that! That dude is fucking DANGEROUS!"

James McMurray
Nobody ever said it was an automatic death sentence. Your'e absolutely right that not every death will involve you getting hunted down. But since you can't control who those goons are related to, the moral beliefs of their families, etc. etc. there is the risk.

Besides, killing 50 people makes others want to hunt you more.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Nobody ever said it was an automatic death sentence.

Search these boards. Some posters come pretty close to saying just that.

Your'e absolutely right that not every death will involve you getting hunted down. But since you can't control who those goons are related to, the moral beliefs of their families, etc. etc. there is the risk.

And using non-lethal weaponry doesn't really mitigate that risk. Especially will the elevated threat of being less likely to stop/put down your foe when the shit hits the fan. I would even go so far as to say it's less of risk than Shadowrunning in general.

Besides, killing 50 people makes others want to hunt you more.

So does pulling off more jobs, and being better at doing it than others. To take some poetic license with Murphy's laws, "Anything you do in the Shadows can get you killed, including doing nothing."

James McMurray
Like I said before, different styles, differen games. But I'll keep talking. smile.gif

Especially will the elevated threat of being less likely to stop/put down your foe when the shit hits the fan.

Nonlethal weapons are frequently more capable then lethal ones of putting down your enemies. Electrical weapons alone have a fairly decent chance of knocking out an aerage security gaurd by doing only a single point of damage. They are also fairly decent at dropping weaker technological foes (o.e. drones). Yeah, you'll want something for backup when someone comes along in a vehicle, but you should always have a backup no matter what your primary methods are.

So does pulling off more jobs, and being better at doing it than others.

Right. Who's going to get hunted faster, the guy that performed 6 jobs exceptionally well or the guy that performed those exact same 6 jobs exceptionally well but managed to kill 500 people while doing it? IMO it's the mass murderer. YMMV.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Like I said before, different styles, differen games. But I'll keep talking. smile.gif

Very true. I don't play RAW with everything in SR4 because some of it is flat silly. And I have a tendency to look at the game with my house-rules goggles on.

Especially will the elevated threat of being less likely to stop/put down your foe when the shit hits the fan.

Nonlethal weapons are frequently more capable then lethal ones of putting down your enemies. Electrical weapons alone have a fairly decent chance of knocking out an aerage security gaurd by doing only a single point of damage. They are also fairly decent at dropping weaker technological foes (o.e. drones). Yeah, you'll want something for backup when someone comes along in a vehicle, but you should always have a backup no matter what your primary methods are.

RAW pretty much agrees with you. I don't agree with the Taser/Gel-round stuff in the book, so that's pretty much why we are at odds.

So does pulling off more jobs, and being better at doing it than others.

Right. Who's going to get hunted faster, the guy that performed 6 jobs exceptionally well or the guy that performed those exact same 6 jobs exceptionally well but managed to kill 500 people while doing it? IMO it's the mass murderer. YMMV.

True, but we aren't discussing runners that actively try to achieve a high body count. We are talking about the practicality of using non-lethal weaponry over lethal weaponry, and what sort of impact having zero body count versus have a small body count has on the runners after the run is over.

The way I see it, professional runners don't start shooting unless they HAVE to. When the guns DO come out, the following rules of engagment apply:

#1. Elimminate the threat as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Or, one in the head is worth two in the chest.

#2. Implement Rule #1 so as to draw as little attention as possible from other threats.

Taser darts and gel rounds tend to fare rather poorly when the target is taking any sort of resonable cover. And if that cover is anything less than a Security rated door, 5.56 FMJ will not care.

I want to know that keeping me alive is more important to my teammates than keeping the opposition alive. And the carrying of non-lethal weaponry exclusively does not send me that message.
James McMurray
Ok, let me rephrase the example. You have two burglars. The first one breaks into a house, knocks someone unconscious, and steals some stuff. The second one breaks into a house, kills someone, and steals some stuff. Who gets more heat on them?

I agree that you shouldn't carry nonlethal weaponry exclusively. There are times when it's flat out stupid to be firing gel rounds, such as when someone is coming at you in a vehicle or has demonstrated somehow that they're using pain editors to ignore anything less than an actual wound.

EDIT: Cover is -4 dice no matter what weapon you're firing at them, so I don't see how taking cover changes things. If they're actually hiding behind something and you still have to drop them, then yeah, you'll need something capable of punching through the barrier rating of whatever they're using.
LynGrey
Well cover helps more agianst gel rounds... because..of the decreased power from most things that give stun damage.. the cover will provide its rating as armor if they shoot thru it. Given if they shoot thru it.

I personaly like to advoid conflict in everyway, i'm the face normally.. i usally talk my way out of it or what not. But if i do damage its a stunbolt or ball if i play mage, and if play my rigger/decker guy he uses gel rounds, always carry a clip of gel around.

If someone needs to be killed, we can put on in their dome afterward.. i mean a gel round point blank to the skull or eye will still kill. or you just load in that real bullet... POW! or the orc snaps their neck.
James McMurray
Cover doesn't have to be shot through, it can be shot around.
TheOneRonin
Your example is a little misleading.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Ok, let me rephrase the example. You have two burglars. The first one breaks into a house, knocks someone unconscious, and steals some stuff. The second one breaks into a house, kills someone, and steals some stuff. Who gets more heat on them?

A better example would be: Two teams break into a top-secret R&D facility, and steal an extremely dangerous biological weapon. Team one uses just non-lethal weaponry to deal with onsite security. Team two uses controlled, accurate fire from suppressed assault weapons and manages to fatally injure several security personnel. Who has more heat on them?

It doesn't matter. The fact that one team was lethal and the other wasn't totally pales in comparison to the theft of the biological weapon.

If your runs revolve around apartment complex B&E and petty trid-set theft, then by all means taser your heart out. My runs tend to be more like my example than yours.

I agree that you shouldn't carry nonlethal weaponry exclusively. There are times when it's flat out stupid to be firing gel rounds, such as when someone is coming at you in a vehicle or has demonstrated somehow that they're using pain editors to ignore anything less than an actual wound.

No agruments here.

EDIT: Cover is -4 dice no matter what weapon you're firing at them, so I don't see how taking cover changes things. If they're actually hiding behind something and you still have to drop them, then yeah, you'll need something capable of punching through the barrier rating of whatever they're using.

Yet another one of those silly, nonsensical abstractions. Here's what the game has to say about shooting through cover with different types of ammunition:

QUOTE (SR4 @ Pg 157, Shooting through Barriers)
If the weapon's modified Damage Value does not exceed the barrier's Armor rating (modified by the weapon's AP), then the weapon is simply not strong enough to pierce the barrier, and the attack automatically, fails.

And on the same page:

Heavy material:  Armor rating 6

So attempting to shoot through the Heavy Material cover with an Ares Predator IV [5P, -1 AR] loaded with Regular rounds, and then with Gel rounds [+2 DV, +2 AR], we get the following:

Regular ammo: 5P vs 5 AR (6 AR base, -1 from weapon rating). Regular round penetrates.

Gel ammo: 7P vs. 7 AR (6 AR base, -1 from weapon, +2 from gel). Gel round penetrates.

So RAW has both the gel round and regular round from a heavy pistol penetrating Heavy Material equally.

BUT WAIT!!! Here's what the book has to say about thost two types of ammunition:

QUOTE (SR4 @ Pg 313, Ammunition)

Regular Ammo: Standard FULL METAL JACKET rounds for all kinds of uses (mostly killing).  <emphasis mine>

AND

Gel Rounds: These non-lethal rounds use a hard jelly-like substance and are often employed for riot control.  They are usually semi-rigid slugs that FLATTEN ON IMPACT, disbursing their kinetic energy over a larger-than-normal area.  <emphasis mine>

So slugs that "flatten on impact" penetrate barriers just as well as "full metal jacket" slugs, eh? Sorry, but that is just as ludicrous as my oft-repeated "milk spilling up" comments.
James McMurray
They don't penetrate the barrier, that would use the "penetrating barriers" rule. They hit the parts of you that aren't covered by the barrier. IIRC barriers are immune to stun damage, so gel rounds can't hurt them at all.

Re: the biological weapon example: true, but not every run involves that sort of thing, at least not in my games. Like I said, different game styles.

Although you're still more likely to have killed someone whose surivors want you dead if you actually kill people. If you kill nobody, the corp (and whoever else) wants you hunted down. If you kill somebody, you run the risk of them having friends, family, or whatever that will also want you dead, putting two trackers on your tail instead of one.

But yes, as I said, there are times when killing is necessary.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
They don't penetrate the barrier, that would use the "penetrating barriers" rule.

That's exactly what they do, and the "penetrating barrier" rules are exactly what I was quoting. If your target is hidden behind a Heavy Material door and you wish to shoot through it with your Ares Predator, you'll have just as easy a time penetrating it with gel rounds than if you were using regular ammo, with the RAW. See, even you have trouble wrapping your head around such illogical crap.

IIRC barriers are immune to stun damage, so gel rounds can't hurt them at all.

Unequivocally false. Read the rules on pages 157 and 158 about damaging/destroying barriers. No where does it say anything about barriers being immune to stun damage. In fact, gel rounds have exactly as much DV when you are trying to destroy barriers as regular rounds/explosive rounds/EXEX rounds do.

Yeah...more inane sillyness.

Re: the biological weapon example: true, but not every run involves that sort of thing, at least not in my games. Like I said, different game styles.

True. I'll go ahead and give you this one. wink.gif

You're making a few assumptions here that aren't necessarily accurate.

Although you're still more likely to have killed someone whose surivors want you dead if you actually kill people.

This one is spot on. No arguements.

If you kill nobody, the corp (and whoever else) wants you hunted down.

Not exactly. Corps are most concerned about the bottom line. A run on a corp facility can be seen in terms of X cost to the company. If the bean counters figure it is going to cost more than X to steal back what was stolen in the first place, or that by the time they find the runners, the data/prototype/mark has already changed hands (most likely scenario), then any further expenditure just ends up cost the corp more money. Revenge doesn't work its way into the bottom line. Doing that is just throwing good money after bad.

If you kill somebody, you run the risk of them having friends, family, or whatever that will also want you dead, putting two trackers on your tail instead of one.

See my above comments and posts on companys/individuals tracking down shadowrunners.

But yes, as I said, there are times when killing is necessary.

Right. And that is just about any time a runner's life/well being is threatened.
James McMurray
That's exactly what they do, and the "penetrating barrier" rules are exactly what I was quoting.  If your target is hidden behind a Heavy Material door and you wish to shoot through it with your Ares Predator, you'll have just as easy a time penetrating it with gel rounds than if you were using regular ammo, with the RAW.  See, even you have trouble wrapping your head around such illogical crap.

Thanks for the insult when I agreed with you. See, even you have trouble not being an asshole.

You also seem to continually misunderstand me, and me you. You kept using the word cover in conjunction with the penetrating barriers rules, so I assumed you meant they were taking cover, not hiding completely.

Not exactly.  Corps are most concerned about the bottom line.  A run on a corp facility can be seen in terms of X cost to the company.  If the bean counters figure it is going to cost more than X to steal back what was stolen in the first place, or that by the time they find the runners, the data/prototype/mark has already changed hands (most likely scenario), then any further expenditure just ends up cost the corp more money.  Revenge doesn't work its way into the bottom line.  Doing that is just throwing good money after bad.

Whatever the consequences of a run, adding deaths to it increases the odds that someone will want revenge for you killing their friend / lover / brother / whatever.

Right.  And that is just about any time a runner's life/well being is threatened.

I disagree, but your groupss opinions are more valid in your games than mine is, and vice versa.
Kiedo
my characters tend to "leave the house" with gel rounds in the gun, and don't want to waste time in the middle of a firefight to decide to change a perfectly good clip.

This has a unique advantage, once they are KOed you can still kill them, and you have more time to think while your not in the heat of battle to decide wether killing them is nessicary at all.

But when I GM (which is most of the time), my PC's are firing EXEX or sometimes APDS (though not in SR4 yet), and leave a trail of bodies behind them, it's actually forced me to have to kill off and retire two PC's because they killed a few of the wrong people and made very powerful enimies.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That's exactly what they do, and the "penetrating barrier" rules are exactly what I was quoting.  If your target is hidden behind a Heavy Material door and you wish to shoot through it with your Ares Predator, you'll have just as easy a time penetrating it with gel rounds than if you were using regular ammo, with the RAW.  See, even you have trouble wrapping your head around such illogical crap.

Thanks for the insult when I agreed with you. See, even you have trouble not being an asshole.

Let me clarify. I wasn't insulting you with the"even you have trouble..." line. My point was that the rules are so inane, that anyone, including you (who so vehemently adheres to the RAW), has a natural tendancy to say "gel rounds cannot penetrate barriers". You (and everyone else) think that, because it makes SENSE. I know you were agreeing with me. And that was my point. Even a die-hard RAW guy thinks that gel rounds shouldn't be able to penetrate a barrier. The RAW says otherwise. Your common sense was "nope, they don't penetrate". The rules say they do. And we both agree that is silly.

My point from the beginning is that the rules in that regard do not make sense. And I was just trying to get you to see that.

You also seem to continually misunderstand me, and me you. You kept using the word cover in conjunction with the penetrating barriers rules, so I assumed you meant they were taking cover, not hiding completely.

Good point. Total miscommunication there. By the rules, if someone is "taking cover", the shooter looses 4 dice to hit them. And if the shooter instead decided to shoot THROUGH whatever it is the target is taking cover behind, he would lose 6 dice, and probably a lot of damage from whatever armor rating the barrier is.

Yet another silly convention. If a target is crouched behind an inch and a half of dry wall and has just his head/arms exposed, it's much easier to shoot through the drywall to hit him than to try and hit that exposed area. And though you can't see the rest of his body, it's pretty easy to guess where it is, and be right 99% of the time.

Okay, so I derailed the thread derailment. wobble.gif

Let me sum up my whole arguement.

REAL WORLD: It's not a good idea to pack non-lethal ammo because it will impact your fighting effectiveness (i.e. A target is behind soft cover that your ammo cannot penetrate, or body providing complete protection against such ammo). That sort of thing can get you killed.

Shadowrun World: No one would ever, ever pack ball ammo when gel ammo is so much more effective in ALL circumstances, because of the RAW.

I'm sure that wasn't the designers' intent, but that's the way it works. Hell, in the ammunition fluff, they even say Gel ammo flattens on impact. How in the HELL is that sort of thing supposed to be able to penetrate armor? But it does.

THAT is why I have house rules about non-lethal ammo.

Not exactly.  Corps are most concerned about the bottom line.  A run on a corp facility can be seen in terms of X cost to the company.  If the bean counters figure it is going to cost more than X to steal back what was stolen in the first place, or that by the time they find the runners, the data/prototype/mark has already changed hands (most likely scenario), then any further expenditure just ends up cost the corp more money.  Revenge doesn't work its way into the bottom line.  Doing that is just throwing good money after bad.

Whatever the consequences of a run, adding deaths to it increases the odds that someone will want revenge for you killing their friend / lover / brother / whatever.

I agree that deaths will increase the odds that someone will WANT revenge. Doesn't mean that person has the means/capacity to deliver that revenge. I've already peeled that potato.

Right.  And that is just about any time a runner's life/well being is threatened.

I disagree, but your groupss opinions are more valid in your games than mine is, and vice versa.

I can live with that.
James McMurray
I'd disagree that I "vehemently adhere to the RAW." My group changes what needs to be changed and ignores what is too crazy. But if the RAW works, we use it, even if it isn't necessarily the best approach.

I agree that deaths will increase the odds that someone will WANT revenge. Doesn't mean that person has the means/capacity to deliver that revenge. I've already peeled that potato.

The more deaths that rack up the more likely someone who wants revenge and can manage to attempt it will show up, and that can happen on the very first murder or the 500th. But we've both already peeled, mashed, buttered, eaten, and crapped out those potatoes. smile.gif
Waltermandias
All discussion of realism, adherence to the RAW, etc. aside I think that using all non-lethal weapons is antithetical to the setting and feel of the game. In a gritty, bloody, violent, noir-world like Shadowrun, it seems very antithematic to have people running around and NOT killing people. Obviously this doesn't mean that Runners should be racking up huge body counts or marking notches on their guns or anything. Those people are considered bloodthirsty monsters and any smart Runner should avoid working with them if at all possible. I think "professional" runners should avoid killing people by coming up with plans that don't involve shooting people, but when it hits the fan things should get bloody and nasty. That's part of the genre! I think that Shadowrunners should have no illusions that what they are doing is pleasant, or moral, or good in any way.

Of course, that's just in my games, and whatever is fun for a group is the "right" way to play, but I do think that the themes of the game back me up.
James McMurray
IIRC the first SR novels were about a guy that avoided killing.
Shrike30
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

How do you figure? Explosive and EXEX fragments/explodes when it hits a barrier. Gel rounds flatten out. Stick-n-shock sticks-n-shocks. If one of my players hits a wall with this stuff, he gets to roll to attempt to blow a hole in the wall with it.

Regular, tracer, and APDS ammunition don't do wacky things when they hit objects, so the shooter has a choice of whether or not he's trying to shoot at the wall, or through it.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Apr 20 2006, 04:35 PM)

Explosive and EXEX fragments/explodes when it hits a barrier.

Nope, nope....

Gel rounds flatten out.

....and nope. They SHOULD do those things. IRL, that type of ammuntion WOULD do those things. But RAW, they do not. As much as I hate it, I have to agree with Hyzmarca. If you go by the rules. those types of ammuntion have a very good chance to penentrate barriers. And yes, that is SILLY.

Regular, tracer, and APDS ammunition don't do wacky things when they hit objects...

[nitpick]Actually, they very often do. But that's another discussion for another thread.[/nitpick]

...so the shooter has a choice of whether or not he's trying to shoot at the wall, or through it.

So tell me...if I give you a 1911 with a mag of .45 ACP and a standard wooden door as your target, how do you decide if you are shooting at the door or through it?

Personally, I'd love to learn that level of technique.
grinbig.gif
Shrike30
While it's not the "rules" exactly, it details with enough thoroughness in the book what these rounds do when they hit something that it's really not a reach to say that firing a gel round through armored plate just doesn't happen. We're falling into the "common sense > exact interpretation of the rules" realm that some people hate, and others don't care about. The size the book would be if the devs had been forced to spell out every single situation, rather than simply leaving it up to the intellect of their various players to figure out, would be ridiculous.

If I'd said tracer, FMJ, and APDS ammunition aren't *specifically designed* to do "wacky things" like going bang or squish when they hit a surface, would that have helped any? nyahnyah.gif

As for "at" vs "through" a surface, that's pretty easy. In one of them, I'm trying to damage the surface itself, in the other I'm trying to damage someone on the other side. Shooting *through* the door, I can't even see the target on the other side, so I'm going to either fire where I think the guy is, fire off all 7-8 rounds of ammo in a larger arc hoping to hit the guy with one of them, or listen for a second and see if I might be able to get a bead on him. If I'm shooting *at* the door I'm either going to be aiming at the hinges/lock to destroy what holds the door in place, or firing into a tightly grouped area to try and punch a hole in the door.

grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012