Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any good SR webcomics?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
D&D has Order of the Stick; I'm hoping that SR has something of similar caliber.
Kanada Ten
Bulletproof was fun while it lasted. Anime style, so don't say you weren't warned.
Kagetenshi
I've been part of several abortive attempts. One is ready to roll if the artist ever returns to life, the other should hopefully be launching sometime early Summer.

~J
FanGirl
COMMISSIONED, a comic strip updating six days a week, features a cyberpunk strip based closely on SR every Friday. (By "closely based," I mean that the setting is essentially the same, but some of the names are changed--for example, they have "RemotoDoc" instead of "DocWagon.) I like this one and this one and this one. Also, this one has nothing in particular to do with SR, but as I've said before, it reminds me of Emo; I think that he probably wishes that China was really like that. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
I've already read all of Commissioned, and you only wish there were things that could repair cyberarms nearly so well.

And Bulletproof was excellent; I especially like how at the end they
[ Spoiler ]
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (FanGirl)
COMMISSIONED, a comic strip updating six days a week, features a cyberpunk strip based closely on SR every Friday. (By "closely based," I mean that the setting is essentially the same, but some of the names are changed--for example, they have "RemotoDoc" instead of "DocWagon.) I like this one and this one and this one. Also, this one has nothing in particular to do with SR, but as I've said before, it reminds me of Emo; I think that he probably wishes that China was really like that. biggrin.gif

That's some funny stuff smile.gif
Squinky
I started one a while back on Drunk Duck, called .25 cent life, but only got to about 10 pages (at the most) before I realized I had no plot. Since I have tried to start one up again, but always feel my writing is a bit lacking.
Platinum
The Pet Professional has some funny wetwork, but no magic.

nsta has a nice dystopian theme but no magic.

Post nuke Comic is kind of an after the bomb comic that lends itself to a dark theme. no magic either.

Level I think reflects shadowrun, there is some funky stuff happening, and it is amazingly well drawn.

Bulletproof mentioned above is the only shadowrun comic I could actually find.

As soon as I can get some clothing for Daz3d I am going to start a 3d rendered comic.

Put some screen captures together with photoshopped effects and I am hoping to turn out something appealling. Will probably need a writer to come up with good dialog and plot.

Edit: oops forgot Fabricari
HMHVV Hunter
Why did Bulletproof end anyways?
Platinum
She had too much workload in school, and was not allowed to produce the book.
she explains here http://kitsune.rydia.net/home.html

Forgot nyc 2123
PBTHHHHT
The artist had too much schoolwork, she's doing stuff with animation and such. Go see her deviantart site to see some of her other stuff. It's a bummer that the forums on her website is gone.
Bodak
The Midlands is set in the shadowrun theme and mainly focusses on the lives of a few characters rather than exciting runs and stuff.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Platinum)
She had too much workload in school, and was not allowed to produce the book.
she explains here http://kitsune.rydia.net/home.html

Forgot nyc 2123

T3h link is down. The first one, I mean.
Platinum
both work for me at home and at the office.
ChuckRozool
That NYC comic is pretty sweet, i especially like the nod to star wars in the fith issue
frostPDP
Squinky; I may stab you. I liked where your plot was sort of going. I also think that its very hard for someone to start a comic with a very strong plan.

You should have kept going.
Platinum
Just found another comic that is really well done and seems to have a strong shadowrun flavour.

http://www.windweaver3d.com/html/main.htm
Edit:

One more
http://www.daedalusblue.com/comics.php?show=20040830
Muzzaro
There are so many people here, couldn't people work together to create a Shadowrun comic? I can't draw, or i'd have a comic up and running. I just can't seem to retain the feeling of SR with badly drawn stickmen ;P
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Muzzaro)
I just can't seem to retain the feeling of SR with badly drawn stickmen ;P

Well, the comic strip, Order of the Stick, is all stick figures for the dnd game and it works pretty well... wink.gif
emo samurai
It can be simply funny.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Squinky @ Apr 26 2006, 05:25 AM)
I started one a while back on Drunk Duck, called .25 cent life, but only got to about 10 pages (at the most) before I realized I had no plot. Since I have tried to start one up again, but always feel my writing is a bit lacking.

does it realy need a story?

just do some runs, develop som charaters and play around with their interactions. sooner or later something or other is bound to just up and say aha wink.gif

to me it looks like thats how OOTS started, simply a rag-tag group of adventurers out to do a dungeoncrawl.
emo samurai
Dude, let ME plan the outline!
Platinum
Yes they can be funny .... but most of the time they are just silly and annoying. Drawing a comic takes a huge amount of time ... a commitment of 6-8 hours a week for a 4 panel page. Using sprites and poor drawing puts a very heavy emphasis on writing which is seldom strong enough to support it. Usually only the really essentric find it amusing, and usually you do not want those people around or you get annoying feedback.
Platinum
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Dude, let ME plan the outline!

If you let emo write.... please do not call it a shadowrun comic or have anything on your site that will let people know you play. Anymore links between the two would just be bad.
emo samurai
Insect shaman bad! Drop bears killing the UCAS president with power armor bad! Piss off Platinum and attract horrifically insincere "sympathy" bad!

Platinum, you are such a public opinion whore. Seriously.
nezumi
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Drop bears killing the UCAS president with power armor bad!

Hey, you got my vote! I'd love a drop bear comic.
emo samurai
Let's make a comic!
Squinky
QUOTE (frostPDP @ Apr 28 2006, 01:33 AM)
Squinky; I may stab you.  I liked where your plot was sort of going.  I also think that its very hard for someone to start a comic with a very strong plan.

You should have kept going.

Well, I am planning on starting up GMing a SR4th game here soon. I will probably use it for inspiration on a new project, unless I find out that I totally blow as a GM...

On a related note, is it actually legal to create fan-made SR comics? Or does one have to water it down and change the names to protect the innocent? I've made some amuateur games before, and am not completely unversed in intellectaul property laws, but was wondering if anyone could flesh it out some more.
Kagetenshi
Never mind digging for Fair Use exceptions, just go to the otherwise-worthless FAQ and take a look at the question "What is the policy for Shadowrun fan web pages?"

~J
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Let's make a comic!

"Let's?" Do I have to repeat the old saw about too many cooks?
It would be great if one of us DumpShockers made a Shadowrun comic on his own, but if a group of us had creative control, I'd be amazed if we even decided on a premise before the comic went down in flames.

Having said that, I'd love to be involved in writing a webcomic someday. I can't draw to save my life (and I doubt I'd ever get to the skill level I want to be at because of my fine motor problems, even if I practiced for years), but I'm pretty good at writing, especially at making up dialogue and plot twists--or so I've been told. The only thing I worry about is inspiration: I'm not sure that I could get enough ideas to maintain an consistent story over an extended period without running out of material. Perhaps if my co-collaborator made a plot outline, I could work off that....
emo samurai
I can't make a plot outline for you; that would be the campaign.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FanGirl)
"Let's?" Do I have to repeat the old saw about too many cooks?
It would be great if one of us DumpShockers made a Shadowrun comic on his own, but if a group of us had creative control, I'd be amazed if we even decided on a premise before the comic went down in flames.

IMO groups are best, but only for very small values of "group". One-man shows frequently suffer (from my observation) from hit-or-miss strips/arcs—this can be alleviated somewhat by having some people to run it by before posting, but then it's just a group effort with a primary driver. A handful of people (probably no more than four—I think two is the sweet spot) provide extra perspectives and additional inspiration, plus they remove the need for the single individual to be a master at everything (writing/art/lettering/etc.).

~J
PBTHHHHT
Oh by the way, the artist who does Bulletproof, she finally drew a picture of Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell.

Of course it helped that I donated a hundred bucks a while back as donation to her art fund. So I think that helped convinced her to draw it. nyahnyah.gif
mattness pl
Is DMZ shadowrunish (I'm Fallout fan, too, so I like it smile.gif )?
Platinum
http://merceneiress.com

So it is a little in the future, but a great webcomic, and it has a dark feel to it.

This one is most cyberpunkish.
http://leadsalad.com/
mattness pl
Platinum you're my hero smile.gif (I start to be addicted to those links nyahnyah.gif ).

And sorry about DMZ - it's comic, not webcomic.
mattness pl
Sorry for double posting, but I found something interesting:
The Long Tomorrow by Moebius.
Ed_209a
Check out NYC2123. The 6th and final ep came out recently. All are worth a read.

NYC2123

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012