Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grappl Gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
SR4 under the equipment description (sorry no page ref) mentions it can be used as a weapon, but I can't find a damage value or range for it anyplace.

Can someone help me out with this one?

TIA,

~GTT
Squinky
It's on the bottom of the page. 328, under exotic ranged weapon.
Voran
C'mere! Get over here!
Squinky
+10 cheesy points.

But really, the damage on that thing seems pretty unimpressive. Like-wise with the monofilament chainsaw.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Squinky)
+10 cheesy points.

But really, the damage on that thing seems pretty unimpressive. Like-wise with the monofilament chainsaw.

I also noticed that the monosaw is weak. Any suggestions from folks on a better damage code?
Squinky
An idea I thought of (as far as houseruling) was to change it's damage from 5p to str/2+5 if a character bought the exotic weapon skill. Could be overpowered, but it would still have that -1 die penalty for being unwieldly and be impossible to conceal or use in a stealthy manner.

Edit---It's got a -2 die modifier for attack and parry tests, so I think it would even out.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Squinky)
+10 cheesy points.

Character asking wants to cyber implant it, and see if he can add a shocker to it so he can shoot it at people.... /sigh
James McMurray
Why not? Sounds like a fun and not overpowered idea to me. He could just carry a grapple gun on him when doing a run and have a holdout taser in his cyberarm for the same general effect.
Aaron
QUOTE (Geekkake)
I also noticed that the monosaw is weak. Any suggestions from folks on a better damage code?

Uh ... use something that was actually designed to be a weapon?
juggertroll
well, chainsaw massacre in 2070!!!

imagine a big strong troll with a chainsaw using the rules said by Squinky?? the -1 penalty go to the trash because of the reach and the damage will be very high.

Very scary for anyone to see a 2,50 meter meat wall with a chainsaw (even beter in a cyber arm)
Aaron
Granted, there's a certain amount of coolness factor that goes with it, but I maintain that anyone who thinks to use a chainsaw as a weapon in any situation other than desperation has never actually used a chainsaw. Honestly, it's easier and more efficacious to wield a toddler. And just as intimidating, when you think about it.
Kremlin KOA
worst part is you can't aply ya strength with a chainsaw, the chain jams
juggertroll
looking for that angle, yes, you are right
Shrike30
Grapples aren't exactly designed to punch holes in people... giving them an impressive damage code wouldn't make much sense.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Aaron)
Granted, there's a certain amount of coolness factor that goes with it, but I maintain that anyone who thinks to use a chainsaw as a weapon in any situation other than desperation has never actually used a chainsaw. Honestly, it's easier and more efficacious to wield a toddler. And just as intimidating, when you think about it.

Hmmm... what would the damage be for wielding 2 dikoted toddlers in melee combat?
Also, they could substitute as white noise generators, just tell them "No candy for you" and set them under your table.
Also, they could function like a tougher watcher spirit...

And to stay on topic, a toddler on the end of a long rope can function like a grapple gun, but only for lightweight items.

wobble.gif
Shrike30
Shoot the toddler full of a mix of Cram and Jazz, and you can use them for much heavier items. They just get harder to keep quiet.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Why not? Sounds like a fun and not overpowered idea to me. He could just carry a grapple gun on him when doing a run and have a holdout taser in his cyberarm for the same general effect.

Oh I know, he's my one player that wishes SR functioned just like a comic book.

I explained he'd have to either make the modifications himself, or find someone to do that for him. I just think of it as a large caliber taser, lol.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Shoot the toddler full of a mix of Cram and Jazz, and you can use them for much heavier items. They just get harder to keep quiet.

So their rating as a white noise generator goes up... Bonus! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012