Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arresting Mages
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
shadowbod
How do you think Lone Star would deal with the tricky problem of arresting mages and transporting them back to a (presumably magically secure) holding cell? There is a mage in the game that I run that does not like to use violence, so he would probably surrender to the cops and then use illusions, mind control etc to escape.

What do you think would be standard cop procedure for dealing with criminals when any one of them might (although not particularly likely) be a mage?

Witness
Tranq patches?
Eryk the Red
Lone Star would definitely employ their own mages, so there'd be Counterspelling to contend with.

Also, a good blow to the head (or equivalent) to knock the mage out will do.
Oracle
There is this lovely item, which we all know under the name 'Mage-Mask'. Imagine something looking like a paintball helmet, but without any opening that would allow for vision and with an inbuilt white noise generator which messes with the subjects ability to concentrate properly.
Eryk the Red
I do rather like the idea of the Mage-Mask, but what happens when a clever mage decides to Powerbolt the mask when it's on him?
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (Eryk the Red @ Apr 27 2006, 08:14 AM)
I do rather like the idea of the Mage-Mask, but what happens when a clever mage decides to Powerbolt the mask when it's on him?

In SR3 that was only a possibility for great dragon-like mages. You can't keep those arrested, anyway.
If I recall correctly, the mask itself is made of very complex eletronic thingies (6+ threshold for spells, like a drone, for example), is covered with an anti-magic shell-like substance and creates a noise that makes it impossible to astrally project/percieve and also hinders the spellcasting abilties.
juggertroll
lone star great dragon mage mask squadron, the new divison specially maked to stop this pesky dragons, principally the denver destroyer, financed by ucas
Aaron
QUOTE (UndeadPoet)
If I recall correctly, the mask itself is made of very complex eletronic thingies (6+ threshold for spells, like a drone, for example), is covered with an anti-magic shell-like substance and creates a noise that makes it impossible to astrally project/percieve and also hinders the spellcasting abilties.

Mwr? Isn't anti-magic shell a D&D spell?

Seriously, I don't think you need an anti-magic anything for a hood. Highly-processed makes it hard enough to cast spells on it. The fact that it's an object means astral perception isn't going to help much. Astral projection isn't something I'd care about as a Lone Star cop: just inform the prisoner that he or she will be moved constantly until deposited into a living-walled or warded area; that should make the prisoner think twice before jaunting around in the astral.
UndeadPoet
I do not have my Magic in the Shadows at hand, so I can not look it up. The mage mask is covered by some substance that protects from magic, that's all I recall.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (UndeadPoet)
I do not have my Magic in the Shadows at hand, so I can not look it up. The mage mask is covered by some substance that protects from magic, that's all I recall.

No, I don't believe so. It simply covers the mage's eyes so he can't see, stuffs a tube in his mouth so he can breathe but can't make any verbal utterances, and pumps his head full of discordant sounds so it's very difficult to concentrate hard enough to cast anything. IIRC it's not impossible to cast spells with a mage mask on, but it's very tough. I can't remember if there are any drugs involved with the magemask per se, but that's another option.

There are also magecuffs (mentioned briefly in SOTA:64), which prevent mages from astrally projecting--they're filled with a magically active lifeform (I believe it's FAB--I don't have my book with me at this moment) that sets up a ruckus when the mage tries to go astral and sets off a taser, which shocks him back to his body.
Synner
QUOTE (winterhawk11 @ Apr 27 2006, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (UndeadPoet)

No, I don't believe so. It simply covers the mage's eyes so he can't see, stuffs a tube in his mouth so he can breathe but can't make any verbal utterances, and pumps his head full of discordant sounds so it's very difficult to concentrate hard enough to cast anything. IIRC it's not impossible to cast spells with a mage mask on, but it's very tough. I can't remember if there are any drugs involved with the magemask per se, but that's another option.

Some (more expensive) models would include electronic goggles tightened over the prisoner's eyes. These would allow him/her to see but only electronically reproduced visual data (and hence blocks LOS).

There are also magecuffs (mentioned briefly in SOTA:64), which prevent mages from astrally projecting--they're filled with a magically active lifeform (I believe it's FAB--I don't have my book with me at this moment) that sets up a ruckus when the mage tries to go astral and sets off a taser, which shocks him back to his body.

It's FAB. ;)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (UndeadPoet)
If I recall correctly, the mask itself is made of very complex eletronic thingies (6+ threshold for spells, like a drone, for example)

Most likely, the mask has a threshold of 4.
TBRMInsanity
The magemask was just a normal device that could be attacked with a power bolt spell but if it was put on there was very little a normal mage could do. It would be the equivalent of doing a -4 dice to all magical tests plus you can't use LOS spells, plus with the connecting hand manicals you can't use touch based spells.
Rotbart van Dainig
If you wear a mage-mask, you have certain LoS to it... vision modifiers are another thing.
Backgammon
IIRC the Mage Mask gave a +8 modifier to casting any spell. Not impossible, but very unlikely.
PBTHHHHT
And then there's the couple of goons next to the mage-masked mage who'll be there to give him a good whallop to the side of his head if they suspect something is happening. Oh heck, they should just do it every so often anywhere especially if that mage geeked some of their buds.
Edward
QUOTE (Backgammon)
IIRC the Mage Mask gave a +8 modifier to casting any spell. Not impossible, but very unlikely.

Combine that with the OR 10 (logically it would be made out of the most highly processed material available) and it is TN18 to power bolt the mask itself.

Single dice odds 1 in 216

Unfortunately in SR4 it will be far more likely, even if they take your entire dice pool you can long shot it and have a fair chance of success.

It would probably be a good idea to put the mos that glows with astral activity on the mask somwear so the goons with blunt objects know when to hit the mage.

Edward
Kanada Ten
Nanopaste trodes? Feed simsense without the fuss; though the magemask could have the trodes built in.
hyzmarca
The mage could have a dikoted spur that pops out of his face and slices the mask open from ear-to-ear at eye level.
Dissonance
I know that I've given samurai eyetool lasers for that exact same reason, because, honestly, if you have a mage-mask you aren't using, you might as well give massive penalties to the combat monster, too.

And, well.

Fuckin' Eye Lasers, man.
Voran
Generally speaking, at least in the case of runners, by the time LS has popped a mage mask on you, chances are you're already in deep penalties due to injuries/stun dmg. Unless you know, you gave up without a fight.
coolgrafix
Previous thread on this topic: here
SinN
I had a mage charactor once. And elf named Sinn(Hence the screen name) He was arrested and put to death for over 75 murders. Only commited about 30 of them or so. Beside the point.
When he was arrested, he had a narco jet injector place in the back of his head, reastrained with mage hoods and cuffs. And taken to blackstone prison. Think Alkatraz and Askaban(from harry potter) put into one. A huge mana warp that stopped you from casting spells. Nasty place. He didnt last long.
Mäx
QUOTE (SinN @ Sep 27 2008, 05:19 PM) *
I had a mage charactor once. And elf named Sinn(Hence the screen name) He was arrested and put to death for over 75 murders. Only commited about 30 of them or so. Beside the point.
When he was arrested, he had a narco jet injector place in the back of his head, reastrained with mage hoods and cuffs. And taken to blackstone prison. Think Alkatraz and Askaban(from harry potter) put into one. A huge mana warp that stopped you from casting spells. Nasty place. He didnt last long.

Isn't Askaban pretty much already Alcatraz for wizards.
hobgoblin
yep, some island castle turned deep prison dungeon...

one could probably also have a spirit sitting pretty in the astral just waiting for the mage to move...
Zak
Alright, let's assume this Mage Mask thing works (I'm not so convinced, but that should not matter for my point).
What about the mage calling a spirit to take the mask off? Sure, Lone Star or whoever can start fighting the spirit, but this also means constant surveilance.

The most reliable way should be drugging the mage or putting him on a BTL loop. The main question is: Is Lone Star allowed to do that on a SINner?
The ubbergeek
Nothing is fool-proof; it screw most mages in an Abu Grahib style (add things like handcuffs, straightjackets...), it should at least deter rebelious and violent intents.
hobgoblin
btw, where is the SR4 mage mask info located?
CoyoteNZ
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 28 2008, 07:43 AM) *
btw, where is the SR4 mage mask info located?

in the Arsenal book, page 66, which is the in the Manatech section of the book smile.gif
CoyoteNZ
I assume that most time when Lone Star arrest somebody, they don't assume them to be a mage. If they have reason to expect they are a mage, and expect that they may have problems transporting the prisoner, then the Magemask and Mage cuffs would probably be used. If the Mage was known to be a large/real danger, or if the mage tried to escape, a SOS call from the lonestar patrol car would go out, and a HRT team would be sent out to help them, which would include a law enforcement mage with spirits if there were problems.

If the mage escaped, then they would be magically tracked down, and when they got arrested this time, they would really be taken care of, including Mages and spirits on the arresting team, and lord knows what else. Drugs, a wack to the head, warded patrol van, BTL loop, etc...
kzt
Think the 1930s. How often were cops killers taken alive? "The ME determined the cause of death to be suicide, despite the alpha burst to the back of the head at contact range."

If players kill cops they are going to have a fatal "accident" in the course of their apprehension.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 27 2008, 10:13 PM) *
Think the 1930s. How often were cops killers taken alive? "The ME determined the cause of death to be suicide, despite the alpha burst to the back of the head at contact range."

If players kill cops they are going to have a fatal "accident" in the course of their apprehension.

The assumption is that there will be an aprehension in that case. Depending on the clout and firepower that the subject possesses, the cops just might ive him a wide berth and look the other way. No since getting themselves killed, too.
kzt
The authorities can always bring more firepower than any group of PCs. Cops don't give cop killers passes. It's not acceptable to the other cops and it's simply a stupid idea. It's like "looking the other way" about the meth freaks in the next apartment who you know are making industrial quantities of nitroglycerine while they tweak. After all, what could possibly go wrong?
Cain
All the magemask entry says is that actions that would normally be done automatically now take Will + Int (4) test to pull off. I think that they meant it affects all uses of magic; although by RAW this is not the case.
Ol' Scratch
Magecuffs are the new Magemask. Basically, every time the mage attempts to use magic (and it specificially states "use magic" not a specific type of magic), including projection and perception, they get hit with 12S electrical damage. I'm sure less humane versions are readily available or easier created (such as ones that inject a specific drug or drug cocktail, strangles, or even decapitates if you wanna go with some movie and novel ideas), too, though the default one is designed to be more PR-friendly.

A magecuff collar, a warded cell and a dedicated sentry drone should be more than enough to keep most magicians at bay.
kzt
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 27 2008, 11:44 PM) *
they get hit with 12S electrical damage.

Ouch. That would tend to leave a mark...
psychophipps
And we now get to the main reason why I strongly prefer the "chanting and hand waving" version of magic as mentioned in older SR versions as compared to the "I look at you and your head esplodie" version that has become RAW in the interim.

When exactly did this happen, and how was it explained that magic "magically" (for lack of a better term) changed to the new form in-game, BTW?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 28 2008, 08:44 AM) *
(and it specificially states "use magic" not a specific type of magic), including projection and perception

Actually, magecuffs are just a tiny bit unreliable since they use glowmoss as a sensor. Which means that the rules for glowmoss apply, which are the rules for the adept power Magic sense, which in return are the rules for the Spell Detect magic.

In fact, while dual characters will trigger it, adept powers won't - as won't Counterspelling, Banishing, etc.
And the range of the sensor is 10 meter radius, so if the mage ever gets near wards, foci or background count, he's toast.
Technically, two cuffs with glowmoss would trigger each other constantly, as they are both dual natured... but let's assume that glowmoss doesn't react to glowmoss.

Of course, if the mage actually enters even background count 1, the cuffs are rendered inert.

So... while the idea is nice, it's pretty much useless.
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Sep 28 2008, 09:53 AM) *
When exactly did this happen, and how was it explained that magic "magically" (for lack of a better term) changed to the new form in-game, BTW?

In the main book of SR3. It simply tells you that chanting and waving is for show-offs and that use of magic is just a matter of will.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 28 2008, 01:05 AM) *
In the main book of SR3. It simply tells you that chanting and waving is for show-offs and that use of magic is just a matter of will.

Ok, thanks for the info.
Fortune
Even way back in the first edition of Shadowrun, 'chanting and waving', while being described as being commonly associated with magic use, was also specifically listed as being not necessary in normal situations, and that a lot of magicians and even shamans did it merely for effect.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 28 2008, 05:47 AM) *
Even way back in the first edition of Shadowrun, 'chanting and waving', while being described as being commonly associated with magic use, was also specifically listed as being not necessary in normal situations, and that a lot of magicians and even shamans did it merely for effect.

But they do add some nice mimetic components as you cast. Similar to the rituals athletes do before a race or event or the exercises musicians perform to "Get in the zone". Maybe some bonus dice if you don't mind looking like an idiot as you cast?
Ravor
I figure that as long as the SINner wasn't someone important with money Lonestar can still do pretty much anything they wanted to, after all, who is really going to care?
MJBurrage
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Sep 28 2008, 09:54 AM) *
But they do add some nice mimetic components as you cast. Similar to the rituals athletes do before a race or event or the exercises musicians perform to "Get in the zone". Maybe some bonus dice if you don't mind looking like an idiot as you cast?
Covered under Geas (Street Magic, p.27). Each geas taken (the list includes both Gesture and Incantation) restricts magic use by forcing use of the chosen restriction, and gives the character 10 bonus Build Points.

Geas may also be imposed later after a serious Critical Glitch (Street Magic, p.30–31), or taken voluntarily to reduce the cost of Initiation (Street Magic, p.51).
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CoyoteNZ @ Sep 28 2008, 04:49 AM) *
in the Arsenal book, page 66, which is the in the Manatech section of the book smile.gif

figures, the one book that do not have a index...

thanks wink.gif
CanRay
Step One: NarcoJet Lethe Pistol.

Step Two: TranqPatches.

Step Three: Lots of TranqPatches.

Step Four: Wait for the wheels of Justice to slowly grind. Make sure the case is solid ("If the evidence exists or not, we'll find it.")

Step Five: Put the Magician away for a long, long time. On TranqPatches and SimReeducation.

Step Six: Act surprised that the amount of drug and mental abuse has burned out the Magicians magic.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 27 2008, 11:02 PM) *
The authorities can always bring more firepower than any group of PCs. Cops don't give cop killers passes. It's not acceptable to the other cops and it's simply a stupid idea. It's like "looking the other way" about the meth freaks in the next apartment who you know are making industrial quantities of nitroglycerine while they tweak. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

It depends on the circumstances. If the PCs are working for a mob boss who has a deal with the local brass so that all the cops know not to mess with his men, but there is this one cop who is a little bit too goody-two-shoes for everyone's good and he tries to arrest the PCs. In this case, the others cops would almost certainly look the other way, because they'd have had to kill him themselves, eventually, anyway and if the PCs had been arrested it would have jeopardized a very lucrative business arrangement.

Or, if the PCs have strong ties to a gang that isn't afraid to go to war with the police, they might decide that discretion is the better part of valor in order a to avoid massive retaliation, though they'd probably get around to it eventually.

And if the PC has local political connections of sufficient loyalty, that can prove more problematic to the department than a dead cop.
Cain
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 28 2008, 10:33 AM) *
Step One: NarcoJet Lethe Pistol.

Step Two: TranqPatches.

Step Three: Lots of TranqPatches.

Step Four: Wait for the wheels of Justice to slowly grind. Make sure the case is solid ("If the evidence exists or not, we'll find it.")

Step Five: Put the Magician away for a long, long time. On TranqPatches and SimReeducation.

Step Six: Act surprised that the amount of drug and mental abuse has burned out the Magicians magic.

That depends on the mage being SINless. If he's got a SIN, or one that stands up to scrutiny, then he actually has civil rights. Burning out the talent of a mage with civil rights is not a good idea; the new ACLU would be all over you.
MaxMahem
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 28 2008, 03:05 AM) *
Actually, magecuffs are just a tiny bit unreliable since they use glowmoss as a sensor. Which means that the rules for glowmoss apply, which are the rules for the adept power Magic sense, which in return are the rules for the Spell Detect magic.

In fact, while dual characters will trigger it, adept powers won't - as won't Counterspelling, Banishing, etc.
And the range of the sensor is 10 meter radius, so if the mage ever gets near wards, foci or background count, he's toast.
Technically, two cuffs with glowmoss would trigger each other constantly, as they are both dual natured... but let's assume that glowmoss doesn't react to glowmoss.

Of course, if the mage actually enters even background count 1, the cuffs are rendered inert.

Since those assumptions would pretty much negate the stated rules in the book for the device, I think it is safe to assume that these deficiency have been mostly designed around somehow. Though the GM should feel free to inflict a string of false positives on the player foolish enough to get captured by the star. "What do you mean I tried to astrally project in my sleep?"

----

Another option I have toyed around with is developing an awakened toxin that safely and temporarily negates a mages magic. It could be placed in the mages food/water, and response teams might even carry dart guns loaded with it. The effect of long term exposure to it would of course be at the GM's discretion.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cain @ Sep 28 2008, 08:34 PM) *
That depends on the mage being SINless. If he's got a SIN, or one that stands up to scrutiny, then he actually has civil rights. Burning out the talent of a mage with civil rights is not a good idea; the new ACLU would be all over you.

Unless someone decides to take his SIN away on a lark. nyahnyah.gif It's apparently a very common, very legal, and very nonchalant thing to do in the Sixth World! And no one ever says anything about it because, come on, his SIN's gone so he's clearly SINless now. Who's gonna believe a ghost? ohplease.gif

Sorry, pet peeve butted in again.
Cain
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Sep 28 2008, 07:03 PM) *
Unless someone decides to take his SIN away on a lark. nyahnyah.gif It's apparently a very common, very legal, and very nonchalant thing to do in the Sixth World! And no one ever says anything about it because, come on, his SIN's gone so he's clearly SINless now. Who's gonna believe a ghost? ohplease.gif

Sorry, pet peeve butted in again.

Taking a SIN away is apparently quite a painful process, requiring making edits in just as many databases as it does to creake a good fake one. Also, it's very difficult to get rid of a criminal SIN
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012