Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Rl corporation will be the first to go mega?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
eralston
Halliburton is an oil company, whoever said there wasn't one

I doubt wal-mart would find it cost effective to maintain something like an army. They have too many places to guard and those places are in urban centers. Certainly they could have sophisticated security forces, but no real army.

On the other hand, oil companies in the gulf of mexico would find myriad defensive uses for aircraft carriers and complex military infrastructure.

Anyone doubting that hundreds of billions of dollars isn't a lot of money, go look-up the annual budget for NASA (under 14 billion dollars).

Few aspects of US government spending really exceed those kinds of profit numbers. Military spending and welfare comes to mind...
Muskie
Well, seing as Berlin is now a Sony/Daimler-Chrysler Corp enclave..
BlacKat
What about Tycho.

Based out of the Bahamas, they have security contracts with government and public sources through ADT. They have their own private guard service (ala Securitas). Chinese manufacturing facilities with 300+ person dorms on site so the workers have a place to live on site, with stores and recreation available. They have their own medical and biotech development divisions, hard manufacturing divisions (pipes, machine tools, plastics, etc), software development divisions, security (manufacturing as well as manpower) divisions, and Semiconductor manufacturing.

Just saying even with their recent financial issues, the only places they are closing shops up are in the US. Their global operations are mostly unfazed by the issues with the ex-CEO.

BlacKat
ex-Tycho employee
stevebugge
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Cray74)
While ExxonMobil certainly set a record in 2005 and 2004, Walmart did have the net profits in 2005 to buy 2-3 complete carrier battle groups (planes and all).

1 Nimitz-class carrier: $4.5 billion
2 Ticonderoga-class cruisers: $2 billion
2 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers: $1.6 billion
1 Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate: $0.6 billion
2 Virginia-class submarines: $4 billion
85 F/A-18E/Fs, EA-6Bs, E-2s, C-2s, etc.: $3.5 billion
Logistics (to operate at extended range for a year or few): $3 billion, say

Meh, that comes up to just $19.2 billion. Much less than I expected.

And for everything else there is Mastercard. grinbig.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 27 2006, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Cray74)
While ExxonMobil certainly set a record in 2005 and 2004, Walmart did have the net profits in 2005 to buy 2-3 complete carrier battle groups (planes and all).

1 Nimitz-class carrier: $4.5 billion
2 Ticonderoga-class cruisers: $2 billion
2 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers: $1.6 billion
1 Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate: $0.6 billion
2 Virginia-class submarines: $4 billion
85 F/A-18E/Fs, EA-6Bs, E-2s, C-2s, etc.: $3.5 billion
Logistics (to operate at extended range for a year or few): $3 billion, say

Meh, that comes up to just $19.2 billion. Much less than I expected.

And for everything else there is Mastercard. grinbig.gif

...good one. Made my morning.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
emo samurai
Conquering the world... Priceless.
eralston
Hmmm, never heard of them, but I am by definition ignorant in international affairs, I'm an American.

They could have the mitsuhama-effect going for them where they can materialize out nowhere (part of keeping power is not letting on that you have it). Certainly, anyone with extreme notieriety in an industry, such as Microsoft, is likely to draw the attention of government regulation before a corp that could manipulate the system to produce favorable conditions before forcing the issue of them being their own super-power.
emo samurai
Oh god, what RL corporations would do that?
ShadowDragon8685
Any one of them whose cost-benefit analysists decreed it was a wise idea and nobody with an ounce of common sense told all those analysists they were now mail room clerks.
Shrike30
What's that South Korean company that owns something like 2/3 of the industrial production of the country? They make everything from cars to toasters to automatic shotguns... it'd seem pretty easy to see them go extraterritorial.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012