Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MI3... Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadow
I just got to see MI3 and it was awesome. I was watching it the entire time thinking, "this is Shadowrun".
mfb
so, ruin it for me: was it a well-plotted surprisefest like the first one, or a vaguely silly actionfest like the second? if it's like the first one, i'll definitely agree that it's SRish.
markusb
I have seen it yesterday, and yeah, it definitely had sr-ish elements

[ Spoiler ]
Oracle
QUOTE (markusb @ May 5 2006, 12:59 PM)
And the nicest thing: they are speaking german! The whole scene just screamed S-K black ops to me, it was just so german-efficiently and german-ruthlessly done.

There haven't been a lot of countries invaded by German troops in the last 60 years. Actually not a single one if we do ignore Serbia, which was an air defence suppression mission only. So I don't see what kind of ruthlessnes you are talking about. I'm sorry, but sometimes I get annoyed by WWII references. Todays German weapon of choice is called diplomacy.
markusb
I didn't even think of anything ww2 (or any war, come to think of it) related, chill out.

I meant german-ruthless as Saeder Krupp under Lofwyr's command is ruthless in Shadowrun
SL James

*re-reads markusb's post*

Wow.

*makes a note to never see this movie*

This makes Alias seem plausible.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Oracle)
Todays German weapon of choice is called diplomacy.

Are you kidding? Diplomacy is the most ruthless weapon of them all.

~J
Grinder
wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Oracle @ May 5 2006, 07:13 AM)
Todays German weapon of choice is called diplomacy.

Are you kidding? Diplomacy is the most ruthless weapon of them all.

~J

and Ruthlessly Efficient Diplomacy is what makes Germany King!
bustedkarma
I thought it was the conception of the Euro?
Grinder
Good joke - the € actually increased the price of nearly everything here in Germany (some products doubled in price). must be plan of the French then... bloody French...

biggrin.gif
Kremlin KOA
which was created through???
FanGirl
Yeah, a lot of French people don't really care for Germans, either: they're still a little mad about the whole "invasion" thing. I remember when I was in France as an exchange student, and my host family was going to take me to visit this couple they were friends with. The day before the visit, my host mother warned me, "You should know, Monsieur So-And-So doesn't really like German people." I thanked her for letting me know that, but couldn't see what it had to with me personally.

The next day we went to see the couple, and Madame So-And-So greeted us at the door. "This is the American?" she asked. "But you look so German!" When she said that, my first reaction was "I do?"--I knew that I have lots of German ancestry on both sides of my family, but had never thought of myself as looking like anything but a white Caucasian person. My next reaction was to freak out just a little bit; I was afraid that Monsieur So-And-So would assume that I was some kind of covert agent sent by the SS to scout out his home or something. Fortunately, he ended up being quite pleasant to me, although one of his fluffy cats was quite snotty towards me.
Grinder
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
which was created through???

The devil hmself!
James McMurray
So only the cat saw through your SS disguise? Good for him! smile.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Oracle)
QUOTE (markusb @ May 5 2006, 12:59 PM)
And the nicest thing: they are speaking german! The whole scene just screamed S-K black ops to me, it was just so german-efficiently and german-ruthlessly done.

There haven't been a lot of countries invaded by German troops in the last 60 years. Actually not a single one if we do ignore Serbia, which was an air defence suppression mission only. So I don't see what kind of ruthlessnes you are talking about. I'm sorry, but sometimes I get annoyed by WWII references. Todays German weapon of choice is called diplomacy.

There is a perception, at least in the United States, that Germany today has some of the most kick-ass military and paramilitary anti-terrorist forces in the world, comparable in efficiency and ruthlessness to the israeli Mossad but not nearly as much of a loose-cannon.
Kagetenshi
When did we get that impression?

~J
mfb
we think that? i dunno, i actually don't pay much attention to worldwide badass specops teams. i know it's supposed to be a pretty nice place to spend a two-year tour, and that everything there is made of chocolate.
Voran
I tend to think the Japanese are the best. Mostly cause I think they have ninjas and mechs.
Deamon_Knight
Yea, Vicious Germans? Why would anyone have that misconception?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 5 2006, 04:54 PM)
When did we get that impression?

~J

Have you ever seen an American news program that criticizes German police or spec ops? I certainly haven't. Every time I see a news program that mentions German law enforcement (which is quite rarely) they are presented as mysterious, efficient, and badass.
SL James
Well, using that rationale I can say that the Ethiopeans have the best program because I've never seen an American news program criticize their police or spec ops, either.

Actually, come to think of it, I've never heard them criticize the North Koreans' either. Their government, sure, but not for the quality of their cops or spec ops.
ShadowDragon8685
Rationale or not, I can say that I've always thought the GSG-9 were supposed to be some of the most bad-ass mother-fuckers on the planet, easily comparable with Navy SEALs or Special Operations commandos. Where I got that impression? Don't ask, I dunno.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Have you ever seen an American news program that criticizes German police or spec ops?

Very much so, though from the '70s so things could well have changed.

~J
Grinder
QUOTE (mfb)
and that everything there is made of chocolate.

That's Switzerland wink.gif

We are the beer nation.

About our police/ spec-op: you won't see much reports/ news about GSG-9 or KSK, but I heard that they're good trained.
Our regular police is mentioned more often, mostly in news reagarding strikes of them - they're underpaid, understaffed and overworked.
SL James
For as much as I hate Ronald Reagan, I like that he got away with firing the air traffic controllers when they went on strike.

I'm not a big fan of strikes. Or unions. Or workers, really.
Grinder
What's your profession? (out of curiosity)
toturi
A former commander of mine was sent to the German mountain jaeger course or something like that (can't remember the exact term). But yeah, the elite in most NATO spec ops/forces are so similar they might as well have been twins at birth. America has some of the best spec forces soldiers in the world, why do you think that merc/security companies are hiring these people? Anyway, from what I understand Europeam spec forces are often subject to less public scrutiny due the home country's control of the media, which makes them seem mysterious and badassed.
JongWK
I liked the movie. Cheesy and too compressed at times, but it was fun.

[ Spoiler ]

Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (SL James @ May 6 2006, 04:54 AM)
Well, using that rationale I can say that the Ethiopeans have the best program because I've never seen an American news program criticize their police or spec ops, either.

Actually, come to think of it, I've never heard them criticize the North Koreans' either. Their government, sure, but not for the quality of their cops or spec ops.

Ethiopeans lol, that's a good one

<3
shadowfire
never been a real big fan of MI movies.
i also would point out that i hate tom cruise......even before the "tom cruise is crazy" thing came up.
SL James
When wasn't he?
Kagetenshi
Third grade. He hit his head really hard on a pole and was completely sane for a good half-hour.

~J
Zolhex
I liked the movie well enough it had it's entertaing parts. But what I really liked was when he threw the grenade? and cause it had what an electro magnet in it it flew to the nearest metal and stuck at least till it blew up. Hehe who needs a throwing skill if the grenade is just gonna home in on the nearest metal object sounds fun to play with for Shadowrun.
SL James
Because if you time it incorrectly and have a cyberlimb, it'll home in on you (IOW, Rule of One).
Kremlin KOA
he made at least one sane chooice
Marrying Kidman
too bad he made the stupid choice of leaving her
BnF95
I thought it was the other way around???

Kidman left him because both of them were interested in SS relationships.
Zolhex
QUOTE (SL James @ May 7 2006, 11:13 PM)
Because if you time it incorrectly and have a cyberlimb, it'll home in on you (IOW, Rule of One).

Hehe I always play magic characters SL James so cyber is a bad option for me.

Now as for those meat shields running with me........hehe well guess I might need to get some new help.
SL James
Do they not teach grammar in Florida?
Kagetenshi
It isn't so much grammatically incorrect as it is totally ungrammatical. The morphemes are in all the right places, but there's no syntax at all.

~J
Zolhex
well first off I apparently clicked the wrong quote button so I had your comment as the quote SL James and secondly I had just woke up sorry for not typing correct grammar.

Although I didn't know we stood on formality around here.
Kagetenshi
It's greatly appreciated. What we really stand on, though, is intelligibility.

~J
Zolhex
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It's greatly appreciated. What we really stand on, though, is intelligibility.

~J

Well in that case Kagetenshi I cleaned it up hope it is more understandable as well as intelligent.
Kagetenshi
Perfect, thanks.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012