Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun in other countries.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
How big is it in other countries, like Japan or Germany? I know Germany gets its sourcebooks out first; what about Japan? I mean, there was a Sega CD game for Shadowrun that was probably much more Shadowrunny than any other Shadowrun video game, but that was only released in Japan.

Does the Japanese version of the sourcebooks downplay the Japanese corporate evil, and is there a Japanese version of the sourcebooks at all?
Synner
Germany does not get its books out first, distribution is just more centralized than in the US and it takes less time between the book leaving the publisher's warehouse and reaching local stores. All but one book the FanPro D releases every year is a translation of the English original.

That being said, SR is very big in Germany, ranking third most played from what I've heard (following FanPro's Dark Eye and WW's Vampire). There is a relatively big fan community in France which has led to Black Box picking up the defunct license from the previous SR licensee (Jeux Descartes) and get on the bandwagon with SR4, and a smaller but rabid one in the UK. There are a lot of players in Western and Eastern Europe though distribution and availability were issues until the pdfs started coming out.

The new japanese license is exactly that, "new".

There was much-talked -about mangaized adaptation of Shadowrun (with some significant setting changes - like no xenophobic antimeta Japanese, no big bad Japanese Imperial State and definitely no Yomi) during the early 90s by the previous license holder. Only the core book and a couple of releases came out, all significantly "adapted" to suit the percieved Japanese audience. The line was canceled early on. However, a hardcore fanbase in Japan who set up the JIS project (iirc) online in an attempt to create an official setting that integrated SR canon. The new license will entail translation rather than adaptation, and possibly some Japanese specific releases (such as are also in the plans for France).
Butterblume
Germany gets the first SR4 sourcebook out (München Noir, about Munich, Bavaria) but that's hardly the norm wink.gif. And we get a beefed up Hamburg section in Runner Havens.

The biggest RPG in germany is Fanpro's Dark Eye (which is quite fantastic love.gif ).
I don't know about Vampire, I actually don't know anyone (personally) who admits to ever have played that.
Shadowrun might very well be the 3rd played RPG. D&D and relatives never took that much ground, except as computer games.

We like to game. Richard Garfield said so (you know, the magic guy. He envied us wink.gif ).
Daddy's Little Ninja
I have no idea how big or if it even exists it is in japan. Just not soemthing I can easily bring up with my grandfather.
The ubbergeek
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Shadowrun might very well be the 3rd played RPG. D&D and relatives never took that much ground, except as computer games.

The shame!!! Shameless germans! D&D as minor thing?!? HEATHENS! SLAY THEM ALL!!

wink.gif At least, the Dark Eye seems nice.

For Japan, I guess that the rpg scene feel uneasy about the Imperial Japan State, maybe (like me and that rather inccorect Quebec - who sounds like it was written by a radical anglo). But then, japaneses are not so much fans of TABLETOP rpg in general, due to the constrained student and sararyman life
MYST1C
QUOTE (The ubbergeek)
The shame!!! Shameless germans! D&D as minor thing?!? HEATHENS! SLAY THEM ALL!!

It don't even know when the first German translation of D&D was published...

But when Dark Eye was released in 1984 it quickly spread - it was developed by FanPro but published by Schmidt Spiele (now defunct but in those days a well-known producer of board games etc.) which meant Dark Eye stuff could be found not only in book or hobby game stores but in most toy stores throughout Germany, toy sections of shopping centers etc.

(There is actually one older original German fantasy RPG, Midgard, first pusblished in 1980. It is still alive and has a well developed fan-base but it has never reached Dark Eye's status among German gamers.)
Firestorm
Not only Germany, L'Oeuil Noir came in France too through Schmidt, in almost all the game stores ( and not the specialized RPG game ones..... in places like Toy'R'Us ).
It was somewere in mid 80, a little bit after D&D ( Basic Set ) had been translated, and IIRC it was quite a hit.

nezumi
QUOTE (Butterblume)
D&D and relatives never took that much ground, except as computer games.

Ah, good taste in beer AND RPGs! Sometimes I think it a shame Germany didn't manage to conquer the world.
The ubbergeek
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ May 10 2006, 02:47 PM)

Ah, good taste in beer AND RPGs! Sometimes I think it a shame Germany didn't manage to conquer the world.

Seriously, btw - You know, peoples play D&D. Like it. Think it's good. Maybe it's time to stop a certain elitism rampant and admit that we have all our tastes? (at least, Shadowrun fans seems less rabid than WoD on that aspect)
FanGirl
I know what you mean, nezumi, but please don't even joke about that. frown.gif

I wonder if I should try and see if I can get ahold of some French sourcebooks; it could be useful when I graduate to GMing and want to send my players on a car chase through La Défense or smuggling goods across the Pyrénées or something.
Smilin_Jack
Seriously, btw - You know, peoples play D&D. Like it. Think it's good. Maybe it's time to stop a certain elitism rampant and admit that we have all our tastes?  (at least, Shadowrun fans seems less rabid than WoD on that aspect)

Only if you keep those damn 3etards... umm, I mean those 3e D&D players from doing the same to me for my 1e AD&D games. nyahnyah.gif
The ubbergeek
QUOTE (Smilin_Jack)
Seriously, btw - You know, peoples play D&D. Like it. Think it's good. Maybe it's time to stop a certain elitism rampant and admit that we have all our tastes?  (at least, Shadowrun fans seems less rabid than WoD on that aspect)

Only if you keep those damn 3etards... umm, I mean those 3e D&D players from doing the same to me for my 1e AD&D games. nyahnyah.gif

Still using that, dinosaur? Forget nostalgia, come hither! *back to joking mode* biggrin.gif cyber.gif
Smilin_Jack
Heh.

Yeah I'm still using 1e - didn't like the production quality on the 2e book and ran away screaming from 3e.

/derail

Anyways - Since Germany is getting an expanded section on Hamburg, are the US folks getting an expanded section on Seattle? Or would that more in line with a DS community project?
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
I have no idea how big or if it even exists it is in Japan. Just not something I can easily bring up with my grandfather.

Why? His english is getting much better.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Smilin_Jack)

I'm so proud of you. All hail the monk Grandmaster of Flowers and his Quivering Palm.

Really, first edition was awesome, but some of the names and titles.... biggrin.gif
MYST1C
QUOTE (Smilin_Jack)
Anyways - Since Germany is getting an expanded section on Hamburg, are the US folks getting an expanded section on Seattle?

Nope.

Runner Havens
- Detailed info: (1) Hong Kong, (2) Seattle
- Basic info: (1) Hamburg, (2) Cape Town, (3) Caracas

Schattenstädte
- Detailed info: (1) Hong Kong, (2) Seattle, (3) Hamburg
- Basic info: (1) Cape Town, (2) Caracas

As in the past the added German info is meant as an incentive for German gamers to wait some more months and buy the German translation instead of the English original (translation costs money which would be lost if everybody buys the original version instead).
Grinder
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ May 10 2006, 02:47 PM)

You never played The Dark Eye? biggrin.gif
Ophis
I thought Istanbul was in cluded in brief in runner havens.
Kremlin KOA
Nah that was constantinople
Ophis
But noone nows the difference but the Turks...
JongWK
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
Runner Havens

(4) Istanbul
blakkie
Not Constantinople?
MYST1C
QUOTE (JongWK)
QUOTE (M¥$T1C @ May 11 2006, 02:51 AM)
Runner Havens

(4) Istanbul

I knew I forgot something... biggrin.gif
Synner
QUOTE (blakkie)
Not Constantinople?

Now there's a story...
CorvusCoronoides
QUOTE (blakkie)
Not Constantinople?

But I have a date in Constantinople !
SL James
Oh, God... They won?!
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (blakkie)
Not Constantinople?

Istanbul was Constantinople once...
SL James
Yeah, but I don't think it's called Istanbul in RH and Constantinople in SoA without a reason.
Laser
QUOTE (CorvusCoronoides @ May 11 2006, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
Not Constantinople?

But I have a date in Constantinople !

She'll be waiting in Istanbul wink.gif
emo samurai
Is the Dark Eye any good? And why does D&D suck, outside of the randomized stats, the set classes, and the linear stat advancement?
Kremlin KOA
That place is Istanbul AND Constantinople
Grinder
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Is the Dark Eye any good?

The rules are nice imo, but the setting sucks. They tried to pack everything into a mid-sized european country, Renaissance, Middle Age, Barbarians, Elves (which are close to unplayable) etcpp.

And most of the players are rulelawyers and narrow minded about new ideas - that's at least the impression I have after some years and different gaming groups.

No real combat magic is another major flaw.
Oracle
Dark Eye has no Combat Magic??? What about the famous 'Fulminictus Donnerkeil' and 'Ignifaxius Flammenstrahl' spells? smile.gif

I'm not playing Dark Eye, because I don't like the background for the reasons told by Grinder. But obviously it appeals to a lot of people.
Synner
QUOTE (SL James)
Oh, God... They won?!

Not quite. Let's just say that renaming it was a statement and that statement no longer makes sense (or it's becoming strategically "convenient" to play up other aspects of the city's heritage)...
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ May 10 2006, 03:55 PM)
I have no idea how big or if it even exists it is in Japan. Just not something I can easily bring up with my grandfather.

Why? His english is getting much better.

Grandfather already thinks you are a little weird. Let's not add to that.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
That place is Istanbul AND Constantinople

Can't we just compromise and go back to calling it Byzantium?
toturi
Constantinople is Istanbul! OK, some places in that city is more Constantinople than Istanbul and some places are more Istanbul than C. But what's a little difference between monotheistic religions?
PBTHHHHT
Nothing a little inquisition and lots of fire won't be able to solve.
Janus
QUOTE (Synner)
The new japanese license is exactly that, "new".

There was much-talked -about mangaized adaptation of Shadowrun (with some significant setting changes - like no xenophobic antimeta Japanese, no big bad Japanese Imperial State and definitely no Yomi) during the early 90s by the previous license holder. Only the core book and a couple of releases came out, all significantly "adapted" to suit the percieved Japanese audience. The line was canceled early on. However, a hardcore fanbase in Japan who set up the JIS project (iirc) online in an attempt to create an official setting that integrated SR canon. The new license will entail translation rather than adaptation, and possibly some Japanese specific releases (such as are also in the plans for France).

Yes, SR2 was translated by "Group SNE", a major group of game writers. And it is true SR Tokyo by them are like you describe.

But, in my opinion, a schism in Japanese SR fans, not Japanese SR productions, is the biggest problem. With many factors, old fans tended to despise the newers and new fans tended to feel the olders are annoy. Group SNE translated SSC and Grimoire(I heard so at a major event), but couldn't publish them.

"the JIS project" tried to follow FASA Canon, but failed. And since the writer is a hardliner older, no little fans hate it.

Once, SR had many Japanse fans. Now, without news of Japanese SR4, only a few play SR(whether Japanese SR2 or English SR4).
I hope the news will breathe the hope into them and potential players.

Skarn Ka
QUOTE (SL James)
Yeah, but I don't think it's called Istanbul in RH and Constantinople in SoA without a reason.

Eh.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (FanGirl)
I wonder if I should try and see if I can get ahold of some French sourcebooks; it could be useful when I graduate to GMing and want to send my players on a car chase through La Défense or smuggling goods across the Pyrénées or something.

You won't find many (and the one you could find now is a rather scary thing), but give us sometime... wink.gif
Thanee
In germany, D&D is clearly (and by a wide margin) the most wide-spread RPG (just like everywhere else).

Even the FanPro-affiliated shop near the german FanPro headquarter has more D&D products than DSA products on the shelves. That should say enough. wink.gif

I'd say, that DSA (Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye) ranks in on 2nd place, followed by WoD and SR.

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
It don't even know when the first German translation of D&D was published...

Bye
Thanee
SL James
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 12 2006, 01:38 AM)
Oh, God... They won?!

Not quite. Let's just say that renaming it was a statement and that statement no longer makes sense (or it's becoming strategically "convenient" to play up other aspects of the city's heritage)...

Lame.
Synner
QUOTE (SL James @ May 12 2006, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ May 12 2006, 05:42 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 12 2006, 01:38 AM)
Oh, God... They won?!

Lame.

As so many people have thoughtfully pointed out it's only been 5 years since the Crash 2.0 and it takes a little time to rebuild and get the ball rolling again.

But the editorial reason is probably that FanPro thinks its better to give anyone interested the chance to play a hand (however minor) in the unfolding events rather than present the situation as a fait accompli. ..
Grinder
QUOTE (Oracle @ May 12 2006, 11:59 AM)
Dark Eye has no Combat Magic??? What about the famous 'Fulminictus Donnerkeil' and 'Ignifaxius Flammenstrahl' spells? smile.gif

You can't cause more damage then your current astral spell points are. That's far away from "combat magic".

I'm not playing Dark Eye, because I don't like the background for the reasons told by Grinder. But obviously it appeals to a lot of people.

It's scaring - seems that Germany has many rules-lawyers...
Kezarim
QUOTE (Grinder)

It's scaring - seems that Germany has many rules-lawyers...

na, we have no more rule-lawyers then any other country has.

nyahnyah.gif

From my experience i'd say DSA (Dark eye) is the most played RPG in Germany, followed by the whole World-Of-Darkness stuff (Vampire + Werewolf, though i personally hate Vampire). SR is almost as much liked as WoD, depending on where exactly you're from.

After that we have Cthulhu, (A)D&D and all the other systems.

Gee, finally stopped lurking around and started writing ^_^

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012