Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Contact Karma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PH3NOmenon
Is there a karma cost associated with aquiring new contacts during gameplay?

I seem to remember there was one in SR3... and it'd be great to have contacts as optional rewards for runs.
UndeadPoet
Is there a karma cost associated with aquiring new contacts during gameplay?

No.
I seem to remember there was one in SR3...

No.
and it'd be great to have contacts as optional rewards for runs.

Yes. biggrin.gif
TBRMInsanity
To create contacts you have to do it the RPG way. Find people and build a rep with them. If you need hard numbers go to your GM and ask. Use the book as a guildline (pg 278 and 279)
stevebugge
I think the pay 1 karma for a new contact rule dates back to SR 2. I can't remember if it survived to SR 3, and defintely not to SR 4.
mdynna
My goodness. Acquiring new contacts. Something without a number-crunching game mechanic! It actually *REQUIRES* role-playing. Rules Lawyers and super-munching-number-crunchers tremble with fear. How will they ever get new contacts?
Shrike30
They'll take their single 6/6 contact at character creation, and ask him to get them new contacts as "Favors." Mechanics, unite!
mdynna
QUOTE (Shrike30)
... and ask him to get them new contacts as "Favors."

Ah ha! I wouldn't let you say "I want to get a new contact" and roll some social dice. You'll have to role play it out!
PH3NOmenon
QUOTE (mdynna @ May 15 2006, 11:28 AM)
My goodness.  Acquiring new contacts.  Something without a number-crunching game mechanic!  It actually *REQUIRES* role-playing.  Rules Lawyers and super-munching-number-crunchers tremble with fear.  How will they ever get new contacts?

Contacts are an important asset to a face.

Guns are an important asset to a sam.

What, you roleplay every gun purchase?

Ofcourse there's more roleplaying involved in the matter, but if i'm not giving the mage karmafree initiations then i'm not giving away karma free contacts either darnit!
Kanada Ten

Most of them... And usually both contacts and guns cost money plus time to aquire, but not karma...

So, you're going to make mages pay karma to get contacts to get magical groups to get initiation?
PH3NOmenon
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Most of them... And usually both contacts and guns cost money plus time to aquire, but not karma...

Karma is money and money is karma, in a sense. At least they were in SR3, if i remember correctly.

So, you're going to make mages pay karma to get contacts to get magical groups to get initiation?

Yes. as an added bonus for this run, the mage gets in contact with an initiation group, the rigger gets a new drone, the sam gets a new gun. Options are plentyful, everyone goes home a winner.
Shrike30
I, uh... just let my runners add people as 1/X contacts if they find themselves in a position to interact with them and it goes well, leaving the NPC desirous of continued contact. This relationship improves if the players work at it or do a lot of business, and sours if they cause the NPC trouble or act poorly.
Jaid
yeah, i don't think much is required to gain a loyalty 1 contact. loyalty 1 is about what the cashier at a grocery store has towards you =P

(j/k, but really, loyalty 1 is pretty insignificantly small).

now of course, if we're talking a connection 6 contact, that's different... but honestly, to gain a fixer contact with loyalty 1, all you really need is an introduction IMO. there's really pretty much no obligation to it.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (mdynna)
QUOTE (Shrike30)
... and ask him to get them new contacts as "Favors."

Ah ha! I wouldn't let you say "I want to get a new contact" and roll some social dice. You'll have to role play it out!

As a GM I would respond by saying:
"You want new contacts ...
  • Get them yourself
  • it will cost you
  • what do I look like to you a doorway
  • , sure but you first have to...
NightHaunter
I generally "only" require roleplay to aquire new contacts.
They generally start with loyalty rating of 1, although occasionally it will be higher.
But I also say that contacts must be maintained in order to keep their loyalty rating, it swing both ways usually.
And it's possible to increase your contacts connection ratings as well.
Although that requires even more work.

Their shouldn't be a cost for anything requiring that much work.
mdynna
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
As a GM I would respond by saying:
"You want new contacts ...
  • what do I look like to you a doorway

rotfl.gif
TBRMInsanity
The only time the starting loyalty should be higher then 1 is if you saved the person's life and they feel obliged to repay the debt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012