Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vagina dentata today
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hyzmarca
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/controver...5302683893.html

The product's official site has some pictures.

So, shadowguys and lesbian shadowgals, be mindful of that 50 cent joygirl who promises 50 seconds of fun. She just might bite off more than you bargained for.

By 2060 they'll be DNI controled.
James McMurray
That definitely looks like something that will turn a rape into a murder. It's cool that it's being sold for 20 cents though, which kinda deflates the claim that it is being done to profit from fear.
emo samurai
Unless it has knockout drug or something on the tips... but yeah, I can see it removing the little control that the rapist had in the first place.
hyzmarca
Followed up with monkey steals peach and the threat of removing it without surgery (thus destroying the penis) should provide and would-be-rapist with exceptional restraint.
emo samurai
Hmmm???? Like, grabbing it and pulling or something? And what's "Monkey steals peach?"
hyzmarca
Monkey steals peach is a combat technique that involves reaching down, grabbing your enemy's testicles, and squeezing as if you were trying to get wine from a pair of large grapes. Used properly, it can provide exceptional control over a male subject although this isn't always the case.
HMHVV Hunter
Owwwwwwwww!

In any case, I think this thing needs to be more widely distributed around the world, personally. Though I pity the guy who gets taken home for a night of consensual action...and his date forgets to take that thing out... eek.gif
James McMurray
The problem is that as soon as it hits he drives the knife that he already had at your throat into your neck just by muscle spasming alone. This thing can cause you to die whther it incapacitates the guy or not, long before you have a chance to threaten to remove it for him.
Dale
This device was sorta in the novel Snow Crash.
Only it was a knockout injection as opposed to freaking hooks.
Hooks!
Jebus christ.
Was this designed by Clive Barker for a Hellraiser sequal?
hyzmarca
But there is a less than 2/25 chance of that hapenning. According to Bureau of Justice statics weapons are used in only 8% of all rapes. No tall of those weapons are knives and not all ar ehelf to the victim's throat and not all nives are sharp enough to cut deeply without the application of an unsual amount of force.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Dale)
This device was sorta in the novel Snow Crash.
Only it was a knockout injection as opposed to freaking hooks.
Hooks!
Jebus christ.
Was this designed by Clive Barker for a Hellraiser sequal?

Knockout drugs don't leave the asshole that tried to violate you howling in pain because of his own stupidity.
James McMurray
Ah, so then there's only about a 5% chance that my vagina insert will get me killed by a knife? And of course there's the possibility of the pain not stopping the guy. And if these things become common rapists might learn to stick a finger up there first. If they feel something they beat you senseless (or at least enough to make you take it out).

Personally I think self defense classes are a better bet then this. Obviously those take longer and cost more, but can be vastly more effective and less likely to get you killed (most rapists don't have combat training).

You couldn't use it in America though or you'd end up getting sued by your rapist. frown.gif
HMHVV Hunter
Better than doing nothing. Not everyone can afford self defense classes, and I'm sure many women would rather do something than nothing.

Assholes like the ones that make these devices necessary are why I support vigilante justice in certain cases. The minute you force yourself on someone, all your rights end - that's how I see it.
James McMurray
The problem is that it isn't necessarily better than doing nothing. If someone rapes you and you do nothing, you walk away damaged but alive. If someone rapes you and one of these things grabs his finger or pecker you may not be walking away at all. It's like giving possible rape victims a gun but not telling them that it has a chance of backfiring and taking their face off.

I agree wholeheartedly on the vigilante justice thing. If someone were to rape my daughter they'd better pray they get arrested so they can be safe from me. At least until I figure out a way to get them tortured by a fellow inmate and can scrounge up enough money to make it happen.
Kanada Ten
The Shadowrun uses are many: RFID tagging rather than hooking, drug injection ("I'm addicted to this chick; no, really."), drug injection for assassination... This is totally a Yakuza (or Chimera) style weapon.
Squinky
The women must be able to take this out, why wouldn't the rapist be able to?
hyzmarca
According to the FAQ it is inserted and removed with an applicator that is designed to catch the hooks.

Of course, alone it isn't very helpful but as part of a complete defense it can buy a few precious seconds in the event of a blitz attack and it protects against STDs. In South Africa, which has both the world's highest rape rate and a very high HIV infection rate, this function is very important.

Of course, its best use is for consensual sexual encounters with enemies. During the Vietnam War there were stories of VC agents working as prostitutes who would insert needles, broken glass, and razorblades into their vaginas before servicing American servicemen.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Of course, its best use is for consensual sexual encounters with enemies. During the Vietnam War there were stories of VC agents working as prostitutes who would insert needles, broken glass, and razorblades into their vaginas before servicing American servicemen.

Sounds like that story from the Underworld sourcebook, about how a kunoichi (female Yakuza ninja) researched a corporate schmuck's taste in prostitutes, then posed as one of them, delivering the fatal poison "in a VERY effective (and probably painful) manner."
FanGirl
I read the title and was immediately reminded of this.

It means no weiner, for the rest of your daaaays.... rotfl.gif
HMHVV Hunter
That's awesome FanGirl smile.gif

I'm more partial to Something Positive, but that comic and the "Charles Darwin's Chainsaw of Natural Selection" are some damn funny QoW comics smile.gif
Glyph
Hey, don't forget that Kestrel is in Something Positive now. smile.gif
HMHVV Hunter
Ah, very true! Though she's not often seen, I do remember that she's working at Nerdrotica (am I correct on that?)
Wen
One thing to say; AIDS.
James McMurray
You may want to expand on that a bit. Yes, this product protects against STDs, including HIV. But there are other things you can do to protect tot he point where he might kill you.

According to Bureau of Justice statics weapons are used in only 8% of all rapes.

Note that this product was originally created for use in South Africa where 85% of rapists are armed (at least according to a 1999 Unisa study). Additionally, 75% of those rapes are gang rapes, so even if the guy is incapacitated by pain his friends (Assuming they don't die laughing) can punish you, pull their friend out and finish the job, or whatever they want to do because the trap only works once.

http://www.speakout.org.za/events/stats/st...ciet_survey.htm

Reading just the statistical portion of that page makes me want to go out and find some testicles to stomp on. One in four South African men have raped. Seventeen out of four hundred of those became criminal cases, and only one out of four hundred actualy resulted in a conviction.

South Africa definitely needs soemthing to stop rape, and this thing might slow it down. But it almost assuredly will also result in the deaths of rape victims.
Squinky
QUOTE (James McMurray)
You may want to expand on that a bit. Yes, this product protects against STDs, including HIV. But there are other things you can do to protect tot he point where he might kill you.

I'm thinking that the aids reference refers to the higher likelyhood of the disease being transferred to you if your attacker has a bleeding penis....
Cain
Ah, so then there's only about a 5% chance that my vagina insert will get me killed by a knife? And of course there's the possibility of the pain not stopping the guy. And if these things become common rapists might learn to stick a finger up there first. If they feel something they beat you senseless (or at least enough to make you take it out).

Personally I think self defense classes are a better bet then this. Obviously those take longer and cost more, but can be vastly more effective and less likely to get you killed (most rapists don't have combat training).

You know, I'm all for self defense, but you've really missed the point on this one. Most rapists aren't some mugger in a dark alley; they're someone known to the victim. Your daughter is more likely to get raped by *you* than some stranger. Almost no self-defense course can adequately prepare you to hit someone you love. This thing, while it's not perfect, isn't affected by the shock of betrayal. It gives women some protection against everyone, which nothing else can really do.
James McMurray
I'm thinking that the aids reference refers to the higher likelyhood of the disease being transferred to you if your attacker has a bleeding penis....

True. That's another reason not to use this thing.
emo samurai
Edited out for confusion.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Cain @ May 18 2006, 01:26 AM)
Most rapists aren't some mugger in a dark alley; they're someone known to the victim.

Not in South Africa.

Besides, would you be wearing one of these things around the house? Either you're not expecting to get raped and wouldn't have it, or you are expecting to get raped and are in the same boat that hitting your attacker puts you in. If you are expecting to get raped then leaving is a much better option then this.
hyzmarca
It is a condom and it stays with the bleeding penis. It reduces the chances of contracting STDs or becoming pregnant as much as any other condom.

As for the possibility that it would throw an otherwise friendly and caring gentleman rapist into a murderous rage, that is a risk I am willing to take.

It should always be assumed that any attacker intends to kill. The false belief that an attacker will not harm you if you go along with him gets people killed. It doesn't just get you killed. It gets police and would-be recsuers killed. It gets innocent people minding their on business killed.

I have no sympathy for those who who think "If I just let him have sex me then he won't hurt me" just as I have no sympathy for those who think "If I just let them ram this plane into a skyscraper then they won't hurt me." Making no attempt to resist or register protest is tantamount to implying consent.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Making no attempt to resist or register protest is tantamount to implying consent.

Ok, now you're just being unfair to the victim.

Survival instinct is a hell of a strong thing, and who knows how that mindset could make someone's mind work? Maybe they really did think that they wouldn't die if they went along. Crazy as it might seem to us, human beings don't always think rationally when they feel threatened or their lives are in danger.

And like someone else pointed out, this device could buy such victims - scared out of their minds - some time to gather their minds together and take a better course of action.

You say you have no sympathy for those scared enough to believe they might not get hurt if they go along with it. Well, I have no sympathy for ANYONE that blames the victim in these cases for anything that happens to them. They didn't ask for that to happen to them, and we have no right to judge them for how their minds acted in a sitaution more terrifying than most of us can imagine, or have been through.
James McMurray
LOL! That's funny as hell. Stupid as hell too, but funny.

It is a condom and it stays with the bleeding penis. It reduces the chances of contracting STDs or becoming pregnant as much as any other condom.

Condoms are skin tight and have a reservoir to hold semen in place. This thing is probably not skin tight and has no visible means of keeping the blood from trickling out.

As for the possibility that it would throw an otherwise friendly and caring gentleman rapist into a murderous rage, that is a risk I am willing to take.

Are you the one out of every two South African woman in danger of being gang raped by armed men? If not, then the risks you're willing to take don't matter worth a shit. The women that use this will probably not be told of the risks. If not, then they're not being given the choice between giving in to rape and risking being killed.

Making no attempt to resist or register protest is tantamount to implying consent.

It's crap like that which gets rapists acquitted. All I can say to that is STFU. Hopefully FanGirl will come along and be a bit more eloquent. smile.gif
emo samurai
Somebody needs to make a FanGirl symbol whenever there's asshatery.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray)
It's crap like that which gets rapists acquitted. All I can say to that is STFU. Hopefully FanGirl will come along and be a bit more eloquent. smile.gif

Seriously, if there is no overt threat of force on and no overt complaint what is the difference between a rape and a quicky with a stranger?
If she says no it is rape. If he says no it is rape. If neither of them say anything? Well, most people aren't telepathic.
mfb
uh, McMurray, i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure women in South Africa are not the demographic that this product is primarily aimed at. besides which, just because something is a bad idea for someone who lives in a war-torn hellhole doesn't mean it's a bad idea for someone who lives in the first world.
Lindt
QUOTE (FanGirl)

I was wondering how long this would take to get brought up. <3 QoW.
mmu1
Am I the only one who thinks that this thing (aside from whether it has merit in its intended function) has amazing potential for misuse?

1. College "pranks".

2. The revenge of the venegeful ex / angry significant other

3. Entrapment (pun unintended) / extortion

I'm sure we're not going to end up with an epidemic of this sort of stuff, but I feel sorry for the few poor shmucks that end up on the wrong end of this invention through no fault of their own...
nezumi
It said it does no permanent damage, it has no metal parts, and looking at the pictures, I do question how painful it really is. But nevertheless, at best, it's still very embarassing, at worst, it's assault and battery (assuming the male was unaware the woman wasn't consenting).

I wonder, did anyone else read:
Some women's activists call the device regressive, putting the onus on women to address a male problem.

and think some feminists are clearly dumber than doornails? I guess we should put more pressure on lions to stop eating people, since it's a lion problem, rather than work to solve it ourselves.
Smilin_Jack
QUOTE (nezumi)
and think some feminists are clearly dumber than doornails? I guess we should put more pressure on lions to stop eating people, since it's a lion problem, rather than work to solve it ourselves.

Or put locks on our houses or cars because someone has a problem with stealing?

Feminists like that make be giggle. rotfl.gif

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (FanGirl)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Darn you, FanGirl, for making my laugh my butt off in a thread about rape. That's horrible! Now I feel like a bastard for laughing, but I can't get the song out of my head!

@Nezumi for questioning how painful it is: You're a woman, right?

In all seriousness, rape is a horrible horrible crime. I can think of a number of perfectly legitimate reasons to kill someone, but rape? Inexcusable. And obviously this...device will help the victim in some cases, and will get them killed in others. As for how they balance out, I have no idea.

It means no weiner, for the rest of your daaaays....
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Monkey steals peach is a combat technique that involves reaching down, grabbing your enemy's testicles, and squeezing as if you were trying to get wine from a pair of large grapes. Used properly, it can provide exceptional control over a male subject although this isn't always the case.

....all my characters are well skilled in this manoeuvre. It's even more fun when you use a stun baton on a called shot.

I had a good close friend raped one time. The worse part of it the is that judicial system often twists things so bad to make the woman the criminal and the rapist the victim.

My favourite form of punishment, a 9mm slug to the jewels.

[we need more mezzo sopranos]
vegm.gif

...for only .20 nuyen.gif apiece, I'm going to give all my characters a good supply of these devices.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (mfb)
uh, McMurray, i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure women in South Africa are not the demographic that this product is primarily aimed at.

Uh, mfb, did you even read the article?

Women in South Africa are specifically the demographic this product is primarily aimed at.

Seriously, if there is no overt threat of force on and no overt complaint what is the difference between a rape and a quicky with a stranger?

IF there's no threat then it is a quickie. But the second she says no it becomes rape. Even the typical nonresistant rape victim is going to say no. And even if they don't say no but they only do that out of fear, it's rape.

i'm pretty sure women in South Africa

Then you're not paying attention. Read the links. This was developed in South African, for South Africans, and will be distributed in South Africa for pennies (20 cents).
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 18 2006, 01:59 AM)

It's crap like that which gets rapists acquitted.

Much as I disagree with what you're responding to, if it gets people acquitted then it is the legally upheld view. Petition to have that changed by all means, and if you offer me some reasonable evidence that that is indeed the legally upheld view in any jurisdiction I have the right to petition in I'll do the same, but the law is what it is, not what you might like it to be.

Moreover, there is no such thing, legally, as an "acquitted rapist". Likewise "acquitted murderer", "acquitted arsonist", so on and soforth. If they're acquitted, they are, in the eyes of the law, not a [whatever the crime they're being charged with is].

~J
James McMurray
Who cares what the law thinks when determining if someone is a rapist or not? Just because your lawyer can convince the jury that you actually wanted to have sex even though you didn't doesn't meant he person isn'ta rapist. They aren't a convicted rapist, but if you've raped someone then you are a rapist.

It's wrong despite being the legally upheld view, and should be changed.
Kagetenshi
I care. Law is what is between us and mob rule, even if we do occasionally need some violent mobs to protect us from excessive laws.

Again, if it is as you say it is (and doubtless it is, since you haven't specified a jurisdiction and I know that there are places even more regressive than that), I'm all for changing it. Nevertheless, until it is changed it is the law.

~J
Moon-Hawk
Can we agree that there is a distinction between someone who is legally a rapist, and someone who is, in-fact, a rapist? Someone can be one, the other, both, or neither.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Can we agree that there is a distinction between someone who is legally a rapist, and someone who is, in-fact, a rapist?

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you're a rapist in fact but not in legality then the law needs to be changed.
hyzmarca
You mean to deny everyone due basic process and civil rights or to specificly declare one individual a rapist in violation of basic due process and basic civil rights?
Kagetenshi
I'm saying that while you're correct that the law probably would need to be changed in the situation that you appear to be presenting, it's very dangerous to start judging people without a legal basis to do so.

To put it another way, I do not consider presumption of innocence to be merely a legal guideline.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012