Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th Ed Timeline, Tool lyric reference?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
phasmaphobic
After reading through the timeline again in the 4th Edition rulebook, I noticed something for the first time. The last sentence of the second-to-last paragraph uses the phrase "learn to swim" for those in the LA area post-flooding.

Oddly enough, Tool has a song called Aenima, about how the self-obsessed corruption of LA needs to be washed away by apocalyptic tides. An oft-repeated lyric in the song is "Learn to swim."

Coincidence, or psychic phenomenon?

Tool:

"Some say a comet will fall from the sky
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still..."

Shadowrun:

Year of the Comet, Saito's invasion...
Earthquakes and tidal waves, faultline activities...
Cang
i vote world government conspiracy!
Nikoli
Or another set of musical artists is secretly played RPG's. After all there aren't many that do so publically, Vin Diesel is a hero in my group for that (and giving us Riddick)
James McMurray
Is the phrase used in the original reference to the flood? IF so, check the copywrite dates to see which came first. It wouldn't prve anything, but it could disprove it.
Kanada Ten
The Tool song came first, by years. Shadowrun uses song titles, lyrics, and lots of funny pop culture refences all over the place. One of the NAN adventures titles each chapter with a song from the 80s.
James McMurray
My question isn't about SR4. Which book first sank California? If that book used "learn to swim" and came before the Tool song then it isn't derivitive.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (James McMurray)
My question isn't about SR4. Which book first sank California? If that book used "learn to swim" and came before the Tool song then it isn't derivitive.

The sinking happened between System Failure and SR4, timeline-wise. Both published in the last year. Tool's Aenima album, on the other hand, came out ten years ago.
Kanada Ten
The Tool song (Oct 01, 1996) predates YotC (June 2003). And didn't LA sink in System Failure (August 30, 2005)?
James McMurray
I have no idea when LA sank. Hence the question. smile.gif If it was 2005 then yeah, Aenima was first by a longshot.
Demonseed Elite
Aenima way predates LA sinking in SR. Whether there is any lyrical reference, that I don't know.
SL James
Probably no more than Hate Thy Neighbor in Loose Alliances can be inferred to be a reference to One Tin Soldier.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Aenima way predates LA sinking in SR. Whether there is any lyrical reference, that I don't know.

Maynard's in the Seer's Guild. Or would you just call that wishful thinking?
eidolon
It bears mentioning that the "CA falling into the ocean during an earthquake" idea has been around a lot longer than the Tool song, too.
SL James
Albeit completely geologically impossible.
James McMurray
Yeah, but fun to think about. smile.gif
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (SL James)

Which is why it did not happen in my SR4 timeline. Also, I live in California, so I'm somewhat biased towards the state.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 21 2006, 05:15 PM)

Which is why it did not happen in my SR4 timeline. Also, I live in California, so I'm somewhat biased towards the state.

Well, technically there was no "falling into the ocean," but instead a massive amount of flooding.

Additionally, one of the funniest things ever is listening/reading gamers talk about any kind of rational impossibility in the context of a fantasy roleplaying game with dragons, elves, paracritters, and a "modern" world that didn't discover the wonders of wireless technology until 2064.
Dragonscript
Damn, weird. As soon as i clicked on this thread this song started on the radio....
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
Additionally, one of the funniest things ever is listening/reading gamers talk about any kind of rational impossibility in the context of a fantasy roleplaying game with dragons, elves, paracritters, and a "modern" world that didn't discover the wonders of wireless technology until 2064.

I really hate when people say that. So if the writers decided that having gravity suddenly change direction and hamburgers start talking was canon, we'd have to accept it because dragons exist?
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 22 2006, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (phasmaphobic @ May 21 2006, 11:19 PM)

I really hate when people say that. So if the writers decided that having gravity suddenly change direction and hamburgers start talking was canon, we'd have to accept it because dragons exist?

Yes. Welcome to the game world, as written by it's writers. I'll have my talking burger with extra mustard, please, and hold the mayonnaise.

I find a talking burger a lot easier to believe than the physics-breaking ideas that somehow allow a dragon to fly.

OH WAIT. I forgot. The dragon is MAAAAAAAAAGICAL!
The ubbergeek
Magic is the wild card.

It's not just something that is a deus ex machina, but a force, probably a force of chaos and paradox. So yes, they fly, like i or not.

Maic is probably the 5th force of the universe - the wild card one.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (The ubbergeek)
Magic is the wild card.

It's not just something that is a deus ex machina, but a force, probably a force of chaos and paradox. So yes, they fly, like i or not.

Maic is probably the 5th force of the universe - the wild card one.

Who said I didn't like it? In fact, I believe I said I found it all amusing. =)

And it is entirely a DEM. That's the whole point.
Dewar
QUOTE (Voorhees)

If my talking hamburger could access the matrix to find out what kind of condiments I liked and prepare itself accordingly, I'd accept it. biggrin.gif
mfb
the reason "magic and scifi tech exist" is an invalid argument for explaining why impossible things are possible is that both magic and scifi tech, in SR and in every setting worth reading, follow self-imposed rules. just because the fantastic is possible doesn't mean that anything is possible--only that anything within the rules that have define the fantastic is possible.
SL James
QUOTE (phasmaphobic)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 21 2006, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 21 2006, 05:15 PM)

Well, technically there was no "falling into the ocean," but instead a massive amount of flooding.

Uh huh. Feel free to kill each other over this nonsense again. Just don't expect to see me swinging an axe.
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (SL James)
Uh huh. Feel free to kill each other over this nonsense again. Just don't expect to see me swinging an axe.

I don't see anyone killing anyone here. I do see your axe wearing a cute disguise, though.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Dewar)
If my talking hamburger could access the matrix to find out what kind of condiments I liked and prepare itself accordingly, I'd accept it. biggrin.gif

I don't think talking hamburgers would exactly relish being eaten. Although, hopefully, science can cut the mustard and technology can catch up to what we idealize it as.
James McMurray
GOOOONG!!!
Fresno Bob
I hate myself sometimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012