Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the point of high force Shapechange?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
It seems that the only purpose of casting the spell at a higher level is to resist dispelling more easily.
James McMurray
I don't have a book handy. Is there a threshold for casting it? If so, then you'll need a force at least equal toy our threshold or you can't score enough hits.
HalloranElder
QUOTE (Shadowrun 4th Ed @ pg 204)
Add 1 to the critter’s Base attribute Ratings for every hit the caster generates. Her Mental attributes remain unchanged.

You can only count as many hits as the force of the spell, so the higher force means a (potentially) more powerful physical form.
Aaron
What HalloranElder said.

We had a adept that needed to do some urban recon, so our magician turned her into a dog to blend in. At Force 6. With 6 hits. It was the scariest fraggin' dog ever.

The adept's journal is at http://www.tablenaked.com/blogs/redfox/, if you're curious.
Cheops
The point is that with higher force you can get more successes which means more attribute increases in your shapechanged form. There's nothing scarier than the Orc Shaman turning into his totem animal with +6 to all physical attributes.

Bear is very scary now...
emo samurai
Cool...
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (Cheops)
The point is that with higher force you can get more successes which means more attribute increases in your shapechanged form. There's nothing scarier than the Orc Shaman turning into his totem animal with +6 to all physical attributes.

As long as Bear Is Not Driving!
emo samurai
How can this be?
phasmaphobic
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How can this be?

Bear-shaped Shaman Dance Party!
emo samurai
OH WOW IT MENTOR SPIRIT TOM CRUISE! YOU WANT THE MANA YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE MANA!

And would you be able to make super-powered puppy with the shapechange? You know, force 6 spell, +6 to all physical stats?
James McMurray
Yep. You wouldn't be very super powered compared to bigger animals, but you'd be one scary ass puppy in the box.
emo samurai
Heehee! Lethalest and adorablest puppy in the universe!
James McMurray
Sorry, you can't affect charisma, so you can't make it the most adorable puppy in the world.
emo samurai
NOOOOOOO!!!!!
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Sorry, you can't affect charisma, so you can't make it the most adorable puppy in the world.

But you can put an Increase Charisma spell in a, let's say, necklace sustaining focus and wear it when you are a puppy.
Cheops
There's also some more munchkiny things that should be added.

First off is the shapechange into superpowerful bird or fly--not uncommon to see flies in the company coffee room; uncommon to watch them fly off with the lead scientist!

Probably the most heinous thing is that anything paid with Essence is now considered to be part of your body and can be affected by magic. So your cyberware now comes with you when you shapechange. Bear with +2 to physical stats with Reflex Boosters and Wired Reflexes is scary to see.
Moon-Hawk
Whoa, whoa, slow down Cheops. I'd like to submit a slightly different interpretation. Anything paid for with essence is part of your body, I agree. So when your whole body is turned into a bear, your cyberware is also turned into a bear, not into a bear-shaped piece of cyberware. I would suggest that all cyberware is transformed into normal bear parts, just like the rest of your body is transformed into normal bear parts.
emo samurai
Dude, my dude has 8 charisma at chargen. I think he WOULD be the world's adorablest puppy.

Heehee, cyborg bear.
Apathy
QUOTE (Cheops)

Note however, that you can't change into anything too much bigger or smaller than yourself:
(page 206 of the BBB)[...]The subject can only assume the form of a critter whose base Body rating is 2 points greater or less than her own.

So you couldn't shapechange into a bear (estimating Body of 8 or 9) unless your normal Body value was at least 6. Similarly, no turning into a puppy (Body 0 or 1) unless your normal Body was 3 or less.
emo samurai
Maybe it's a fat puppy. Or maybe I'll use a Decrease Body spell.
Apathy
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Maybe it's a fat puppy. Or maybe I'll use a Decrease Body spell.

A full-grown guard dog or wolf has a Body of 2, and they're over a hundred pounds. Your fat puppy would have to be pretty damned fat.
emo samurai
Don't they have a body of 3 instead?
Cheops
Apathy:

you'll notice I said the orc shaman turns into a bear. Body 6 isn't tough for an orc. Similarily a puppy with body 1 isn't that tough for a human or elf to change into. It only gets tough when you are dealing with Body 0 like insects or huge animals like whales.

Moon-Hawk:

The way I figure it, if you can use cybereyes for targeting spells and looking astrally then you can use cyberware in a shape which doesn't require a massive body change (human => bird, snake, etc).
-X-
I might be tempted to let someone use whatever cyberware they had while shapeshifted, if they learned a specific Shapechange spell based on their particular cyberware map.

So instead of learning the generic Shapechange spell, or the specific caster variant, you learn one that incorporates your cybernetic and bioware enhancements at the time you lean the spell.
Ankle Biter
Don't forget, shapechange has no restrictions on turning into apes, only humans. Now, one of the stronger critters out there is the orangutan. They are also naturally quick, and agile as they have to avoid Tigers and the like. Yeah your bear is scary and all, but an ape with a ranger X bow is scaryer. Also nobody expects an orangutan to be dangerous, right until the point they drop on your head, and unscrew it.
emo samurai
Dude, puppy.

That would be a great hit. "Aren't you just a cute little OHMYGODMANABOLTINTHEFACE!"
Cheops
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
Don't forget, shapechange has no restrictions on turning into apes, only humans. Now, one of the stronger critters out there is the orangutan. They are also naturally quick, and agile as they have to avoid Tigers and the like. Yeah your bear is scary and all, but an ape with a ranger X bow is scaryer. Also nobody expects an orangutan to be dangerous, right until the point they drop on your head, and unscrew it.

All I have to say to that is bravo! That is a brilliant idea.
emo samurai
PUPPPPYYYY!!
cx2
I can't believe you guys missed this:
DROP BEARS!!!
nyahnyah.gif
emo samurai
Dude, they're magically active. You can't be a drop bear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012