Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tears of the little childern
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
shadowfire
i only have had one character and he tends to go out his way for childern no matter what the reason... which is probably why he has candy in his pockets all the time.
stevebugge
I have multiple characters whose moral codes and personalities run the full spectrum from slightly disillusioned do-gooder to zealous sociopathic terrorist. Their reactions to kids range accordingly, from lowering payment demands or even doing jobs involving saving kids for free to specifically targeting kids because they get more press coverage as victims.
James McMurray
Same here. Some characters would stop a run to save a child, others would strangle a child to complete a run.
eidolon
Voted no due to the caveat "no matter who or what they are".

The soft spot for kids cliche's applicability depends entirely on the character. biggrin.gif
FiveVenoms
Wow, uh....I don't know, that's never really happened!

Unless, you know, you count those diabolic spirits that only look like little children.

......screw those guys.
Kagetenshi
Strict policy, no women no kids among the survivors.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Hardened killers unconditionally going nuts over children is such a cliche. I disapprove of it. Unless your shadowrunner is actually 1980s era Michael Jackson, in which case it would be a funny cliche.
SL James
As opposed to 1990s MJ?
John Campbell
I charge extra for kids.

Not because I actually give a damn about the snot-nosed little brats, mind. I give a damn about getting paid more, and the "kids" thing makes a good excuse for upping my price.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SL James)
As opposed to 1990s MJ?

Basically, the 1980s MJ would be more germaine to the subject of SR. However, if you wanted to become increasingly Lovecraftian, I suppose you could use later versions of MJ.
Kyoto Kid
...three characters of mine in particular have a soft spot for kids

Leela, who herself is very child like in nature due to the severe emotional and physical trauma she suffered during the Serbian Blitz of Zagreb in 2054. As an NPC after her retirement, she established a foundation to help homeless and abandoned children, from not only her own country of Croatia but Serbia and the other Balkan nations as well.

Gracie, who was a former orphan and even had an orphanage director as a level 2 contact. After every run she would donate a percentage of her pay to childrens' concerns. Didn't matter if she got karma for it or not.

Violet, who was forced to grow up too quickly and basically missed most of her childhood and is trying to recapture those lost years.
Laser
QUOTE (FiveVenoms)
Wow, uh....I don't know, that's never really happened!

Unless, you know, you count those diabolic spirits that only look like little children.

......screw those guys.

I've had problems with those, actually. Some of them turned out to not be so bad, for all that.

Some of them.
SL James
QUOTE (John Campbell)
Not because I actually give a damn about the snot-nosed little brats, mind. I give a damn about getting paid more, and the "kids" thing makes a good excuse for upping my price.

The cops might also feel more pressure to find the culprit, too.
mfb
my main char is a consumate professional. he doesn't generally do kids partly because he's got a kid of his own, and partly because he believes that creating collateral damage and/or making things personal is unprofessional--and killing kids is almost always going to be one of those two things. that said, i can't see him refusing a contract on, say, a dangerous otaku hacker. if you make yourself a player, you're a player.

the character i'm currently building up would have no problem putting a kid in the hospital if s/he got in her way. but killing one... she likes to think of herself as a good guy; she only accepts contracts on people who 'deserve' it, in some vague and undefined way. kids don't normally fit that bill.

so, basically, my characters tend to differentiate between targets and non-targets based on their involvement in the business. low age generally retards involvement, so kids are generally off the hook.
Voran
The CBS show "The Unit" a few weeks back had an ep where they went to south america or something to get/steal back some SAM's from a local cartel dude. And the cartel dude had a buncha pre-teens mixed in with his crew guarding his complex. Something about pre-teens carrying AK's makes me a bit scared.

It was a nice ep, even though at the end the unit ends up betraying one of the kids who turned coat, they lied and promised to take him back to the USA, but when it came time for them to go, they instead gave him some cash, wished him luck, and left. pretty much knowing he was going to get caught and executed. Harsh.

Dawnshadow
Two characters would need a lot of convincing to go after a kid. Dangerous Otaku hacker? Maybe. Kid just witnessed something? Not likely. They might actually bodyguard the kid, in fact.

The other two.. well.. one has a lover, and would probably reject any contracts because she'd disapprove, but if it came down to take out the kid, or something bad would happen, he'd take out the kid. The last, I have no idea of, not for that. He might do it.. he might not. Would depend on which side of his totem is calling stronger.. hunter/killer or healer.
Kagetenshi
Why did they give him cash? God-damned bleeding hearts.

~J
SL James
As opposed to Bravo Two Zero where the only reason the kid didn't get killed was because he was too far for a knife and the Americans had taken all the silenced weapons before McNab's team got to them.
Tiger Eyes
We had a run where we were poised to make millions... millions... (sigh). Then we got double-crossed (of course) and were trapped - swat-team pinning us in underground, police on the way. We were in a tunnel system. We found several cells of expensive goodies, and one cell with three kids (the owner dabbled in the white slave trade). Our choices were to make a clean get-away, with some nice, expensive goodies, or to rescue the three kids and be pinned in a cellar by the ubber-swat team and the police.

We rescued the kids and called in a HUGE favor to get extracted, lost our mage in the fight (although he was the rat-bastard who double crossed us, as we found out later, so the swat team just saved us a bullet later on) and several of us ended up needing some hospital time...

Although our characters didn't have much choice - at the time, two of our players were moms with newborn infants. And the women in our group would have skinned the men alive if they had voted to abandon the poor little kids. biggrin.gif (Actually, considering the amount of sleep we were getting, we'd probably just have shot their characters. Don't mess with new moms.)

Apparently, we'd rescue kids no matter what. Still, I mourn the loss of all that pretty, pretty nuyen. smile.gif
hyzmarca
Kids are like dwarves with less hair, which would make them gnomes. All gnomes are munchkin magicians so there is only one sane philosophy. Geek the children first.
James McMurray
I thought they were all munchkin illusionist, meaning that when you thought you were shooting at them you were really shooting at your teammates.
Dale
I like kids. But if they bug me too much I WILL put a round through their face.

In the game I mean. eek.gif
Ancient History
Every time I run a group through Universal Brotherhood, the first flesh-form they meet is a little girl with pigtails. Sometimes she's holding an ant farm, sometimes she's just dropped her ice cream, and sometimes she's trying to pick the player's pocket...
Fix-it
think about how fast kids today are growing up and maturing.

now fast forward 50 years from now.

children will not be that innocent anymore. especially orks, who call people over 20 "middle aged"
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Violet, who was forced to grow up too quickly and basically missed most of her childhood and is trying to recapture those lost years.

That's exactly like MJ.

Hmm, this thread is recalling to me the logic of Fallout: everyone hates you if you directly kill a kid but at the same time the kid gets free hacks on you by throwing grenades or rocks at you.

Therefore, the key is to position yourself so the child is between you and a NPC enemy. Let the NPC enemy accidentally hit the kid instead.

I guess that's the best way to handle NPC kids in the campaign. Get their interfering butts out of the picture but have it not be your fault.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Therefore, the key is to position yourself so the child is between you and a NPC enemy. Let the NPC enemy accidentally hit the kid instead.

Or, alternatively, you can secretively deposit a container filled with high explosives and a timed detonator on their person and wait for them to blow to pieces.

Both are highly viable in SR.

Of course, you can just forget about being Mr Nice Guy, and hit the kid in the groin with a Super Sledgehammer.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Of course, you can just forget about being Mr Nice Guy, and hit the kid in the groin with a Super Sledgehammer.

Both of the other methods can be useful (impromptu armor and a self-guided bomb, respectively). What does this accomplish?

~J
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ May 24 2006, 04:46 PM)

...What does this accomplish?

At ghoul carnivals you can win a stuffed animal (provided the head hits the bell).
ShadowDragon8685
Now I remember why I read Dumpshock.

When I've been up for over 42 hours, everything you guys say that is completely and wholely immorally, soulless, soul-suckingly wrong makes me giggle.

And just about everything to come off your keyboards is completely and wholely immorally, soulless, soul-suckingly wrong. Y'all a bunch sick fucks, you know that? I love you guys.
Tiralee
Ancient History 
Every time I run a group through Universal Brotherhood, the first flesh-form they meet is a little girl with pigtails. Sometimes she's holding an ant farm, sometimes she's just dropped her ice cream, and sometimes she's trying to pick the player's pocket...

Good god Ancient

- I assume that a little later on you get the little girl to do a Linda Blair and have her run around, spider-fashion, on the ceiling urging the team to give up their violent ways and embrace the joy of the hive? In between the little girlish giggles and the deep, throaty howls for more "raw material"?

Because I know that would end up scarring my hard-bitten bunch of sociopaths (the players).

And in character? They'd be warped from then on in.

"Ok, we're rescuing the little girl"
<Dead silence>
"Uh, I'm SURE it's a little girl, this time."
<Rest of the team breaks out the WP, Assualt Cannons, MMG's and AV ammo>

-Tir
(Gonna do it one day:))
SL James
I'd be fascinated by the existence of any team which trusts children after going against a hive or into the Arc circa Shutdown.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012