Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasound Costs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lebo77
Dumpshock Gang-
I am trying to find out the cost and stats of Ultrasound viosion equipment, both implanted, drone sensor, wall-mounted, hand-held, goggles, Glasses and (dare I say it) contacts! It's not in the book (except for in the eyes of the Bounty Hunter). Does anyone have any ideas? I am sure it will be in one of the upcoming sourcebooks, but That does me little good for the run I am doing next week. smile.gif

- Lebo77
Aaron
Turn to page 324 of your hymnal.
Lebo77
Wonderfull. That handles most of my questions. But cybereye ultrasound is still a question. What should the capacity and cost be?
Kanada Ten
I just kept it the same; lets you put a lot of fab stuff into ware.
Lebo77
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I just kept it the same; lets you put a lot of fab stuff into ware.

In external gear, ultrasound is 10x more expensive then low-light. When packing it into a cybereye it should cost the same? Sounds very cheap to me. And this still does not answer the capacity question.
SuperSpy
Cyberware Ultrasound Sensor is on page 331...it's under headware rather than cybereyes.
Aaron
QUOTE (SuperSpy @ May 24 2006, 09:11 AM)
Cyberware Ultrasound Sensor is on page 331...it's under headware rather than cybereyes.

I figured it was too big to fit into an eye. We've got one at work (it's looking at me now ...), and even at an eighth it's size, there wouldn't be enough room left in an eye for anything else. If it gets too small, the physics of it just won't work (no, I don't feel like explaining that; go to college).
Lebo77
Doh!

Thanks for all the help guys. I need to search better.

- Lebo77
Edward
Aaron compare that ultrasound detector at work to a hand held camera. About the same size, you can have the camera in your eye in 2070

Edward
Moon-Hawk
It's not that simple. There are wavelength restrictions.
Shrike30
I'm trying to imagine what having an ultrasonic device inside of a cybereye might do to your normal vision, were the ultrasound active as well. I have this image of everything blurring faintly...
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I'm trying to imagine what having an ultrasonic device inside of a cybereye might do to your normal vision, were the ultrasound active as well. I have this image of everything blurring faintly...

Yeah this has me asking the same question. So is the emitter in your eye/contact lense as well? I just said "Yes" and left it alone.
Shrike30
I haven't encountered a problem yet, but I'm probably going to disallow ultrasound contacts. If you can't fit it in a cybereye, you damn well can't fit it in something you can wear on a cybereye.
Butterblume
I agree wink.gif.
SuperSpy
I would just call it an external device that can wirelessly transmit its data as display to your contact lenses.
Shrike30
I'm fine with that... it's just an Image Link, then. It's the people who want the entire system to fit IN A CONTACT LENS that I have issue with nyahnyah.gif
Toptomcat
QUOTE (Aaron)
Turn to page 324 of your hymnal.

Your smart-assed way of referring to the BBB is making the Google ads above the forum try to hawk me Bible stuff biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
FanGirl
Really? I don't think the ads have ever been anything but "DDO Gold supply on Sale" and "Dungeons and Dragons Online"--in that order--for me.
cx2
I read somewhere that ultrasound can display as an overlay on your vision, so no blurring. Don't you just love AR? wink.gif
Sean Bad
The blur effect would be caused by the ultrasound emitter's vibrations in your eye. The human eye is sorta like a big grape, only filled with Jell-o instead of fruit. The eye can actually deform a bit without pain or damage, and the ultrasound's vibrations would definitely cause this. Most likely, this would result in the lens jittering or waves in the vitreous humor (eye goop).

Ick, I wonder if prolonged use could actually cause separation of the retina? It sure would suck to be blinded by your vision enhancement.
Shrike30
That'd mostly depend on the magnitude of the vibrations, I think. The blinding headaches you'd get from having your vision blurring very faintly would probably be a bigger issue nyahnyah.gif
Kanada Ten
I doubt vibration would be a problem with cybereyes.
Aaron
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Why not? I imagine they're more rigid than normal eyes, and so I would think they'd be more susceptible.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 25 2006, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 25 2006, 02:41 PM)

Why not? I imagine they're more rigid than normal eyes, and so I would think they'd be more susceptible.

Spring suspension and the technology that corrects the issue with the ultrasound itself can compensate, I think. Plus, the software that converts the camera data into sensory input could correct for this sort of thing, at the very least.
Teulisch
in SR3, the ultrasound was an eye/ear implant. even then you had a finite amount of space in the eye to work with.

in SR4, its headware. so it goes in your head. the head dosent exactly have THAT much room, especialy in the forward arc. So the question becomes, if i dont put it in the eyes/ears, where does it go and what does it look like?

there IS a prcedent for putting headware in an eye/ear. remember the datajack that plugged into your eye? you can still do that. 1 capacity, and plug in.

further, ultrasound is listed specificaly as a vision enhancement, and has no listed restrictions of where it could be put. you could start with an ultrasound monocle (availibility 12).

I can think of only one reason not to put the ultrasound in the cybereyes- active ultrasound is a very good target for anyone with passive ultrasound and a gun.

Shrike30
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 25 2006, 11:41 AM)

We *were* talking about contacts... nyahnyah.gif
wavydavy
My tuppence:

Basically, to be used, the information from a sensor (thermo, low-light, ultrasound, vision magnification) needs to be added to the user's normal vision. This can be achived via AR. As long as the user has a display link (in goggles/contacts/cyberware), the information from the sensors can be composited togther in the AR view.

It's the placement of the sensors themselves which is the question for me.

Vision is a directional sense, it can only be received in one direction (with a certain field of view). Therefore, vision based sensors (thermo, low-light, magnification) must be closely inline with the users view to be helpful. This would usually mean in goggles, cybereyes, or helmet (i.e. it must turn with the head).

Sound is omni-directional, can be received from any direction. An ultrasound sensor could therefore be located anywhere, and any source could be used[1]. Hence it not being a cybereye accessory, but a bodyware one. Cybereye space is precious, so no need to have one there if in's not necessary. Even if you need the sensor inline with the eye, you probably wouldn't want the transmitter to be (as discussed already).

I think the confusion comes because of the goggles based ultrasound accessory. I read this as simply a conveinient place to locate both the ultrasound emitter and sensor, as goggle 'real-estate' is not as precoious as cybereyes. I would allow any ultrasound sensor to feed to an AR display, and assume that any ultrasound sensor includes a transmitter.

HTH

[1] Although I'm not sure about this. I would imagine, from my basic physics, that to get detailed information about ALL the surroundings (not just the source of ultrasound), you would need to to know the exact position of the source to interpret the ultrasound reflections correctly. Although I could well be wrong.
Shrike30
If you've got the source and the reciever built into your skull (or goggles), you know their exact location. Where the walls and stuff that they're mapping are is relative to the user anyway.
cx2
www.soundforesight.co.uk

Real life ultra sound use. It's directional, since you can't make an ultrasound reciever omnidirectional and still be of use (wouldn't know where the contact was).

Only one is needed for range since it measures time between pulse transmission and receipt. You ojnly need two if you're using a passive sensor of some sort, like eyes. There could be computer tricks for cameras I guess, calculating the angle of the ground and where the object's feet/base was, or a shadow for something airborne.

Besides, where on your head would you place ultrasound that has u nobstructed line of sight all around without looking conspicuous? I mean scientists know today taht dolphin ultrasound is in their foreheads, but the sound can't go all directions from there. The whole point of ultrasound is it *doesn't* pass through objects particularly well, at least not solid objects (explaining the medical use). It can't get through the side of your skull.

And I agree the idea of ultrasound contacts is patently absurd, although glasses is possible but dubious to me at present (at least for this level of detail). I'm not even sure how contacts can magnify or give thermo/low light, but there you go
Kiedo
Well in theory, correct me if I'm wrong, the ultrasound could be purely passive, working on ambient noise. Even a sound proof room, produces about 20dB of noise, true soundlessness doesn't exist (outside a vacuum) so your ultrasound, would work every where, but at a lesser degree in some places. That would save room, since you wouldn't need an emitter, just a reciever and processor. and technically you could wistle in really quiet places.

But then the book does say this ultrasound detects temperature differences. Which is a bit troubling, since I can't even imagine how a technology like that would work.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Spring suspension and the technology that corrects the issue with the ultrasound itself can compensate, I think. Plus, the software that converts the camera data into sensory input could correct for this sort of thing, at the very least.

I know it's not what you meant, but I got this image of an eye jacked up like a monster truck with big springs and shocks... grinbig.gif

I would think software could handle the blurry image, but the minute vibrations being generated in your brainpan are going to eventually cause headaches, maybe even irritability...
Passive would be the way to go, you could always drop something to 'ping' a target.
Kanada Ten
People in the future don't get headaches! cyber.gif

And who says you [e]can't[/e] use contacts and cybereyes together?
Tarantula
Who says you can't?
Kanada Ten
That's what I meant. Damn it.
Teulisch
technicaly.... you could just have contacts with your basics (image link and smartlink), and then where goggles with various vision upgrades over that. a lil more bulky and expensive, but much more availible.

hobgoblin
and gives me nightmare about how to handle LOS from magic...

still, they dropped the optical "zoom" for magicans in SR4 right?
Tarantula
Well, you can't buy optical zoom in cybereyes anymore, but you could buy a pair of regular old glass zoomed binoculars.
Butterblume
Lowlight and IR wouldn't work for mages if external, since those are electronic...

So, the magician can use astral perception, which makes him vulnerable, or cybereyes, which isn't for every mage nyahnyah.gif. Hm, or just accept the modifiers. Or munch, sorry, play a metahuman.
Tarantula
Or he can buy a flashlight.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Well, you can't buy optical zoom in cybereyes anymore, but you could buy a pair of regular old glass zoomed binoculars.

heh, did a bit of reading after my post and found that the flavor text for the zoom covers both optical and electronic.

btw, there are ways of doing optical low-light, its a matter of using the right lenses and stuff to gather more of the light or something like that...

ir would be harder tho.

i take it that hooking a ir sensor into a simsense feed and pushing it all thru a trode set is allso a kind of external source?
Tarantula
What do you mean? Technically, you don't need the binoculars, since you can see the person with or without them, they just make more sense.

Simsense is just that, simulated sense, not your natural ones, so no good for that.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kiedo)
But then the book does say this ultrasound detects temperature differences. Which is a bit troubling, since I can't even imagine how a technology like that would work.

Sound waves travel through different densities of material at different speeds. Hotter mediums tend to be less dense (as the molecules in them are higher energy and bounce off each other more violently), so the speed that the vibration is conducted through the medium would be lower. This is why sound travels faster through steel than through air, and it would make sense that you could use this principle to determine temperature.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012