Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stat Pedestrians
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NightHaunter
Ok I was wondering what stats pedestrians have in 4th ed.
Do they standardly have 3 in each +/- metatype modifyers?
Or is it different.
Obviously i'm speaking about an average.
mdynna
That's how I play the "average" person.
Squinky
Gang members would be pretty close, adjust from there if you need.
NightHaunter
Cool thats how SR3 did it. But with the overall stat reduction I wondered if it might be 2.
Squinky
Pg. 62 lists a stat of 2 as being underdevoloped, 3 as being Typical. It does feel weird when you think of how it would compare to SR3 though, makes one wonder if 2 translates to a 3rd edition 3....
Ophis
I run two basic sorts of pedestrians. Jocks have 3 in the physical stats and 2 in the mental. Nerds have 2 in the physical and 3 in the mental. Some special pedestrians have a different spread of four 2s and four 3s.
FrankTrollman
The basic pedestrian seems to be about four 2s and four 3s. Looking at the drop in attributes from mooks in SR2 to SR4, that seems to be the trend.

-Frank
NightHaunter
Cheers.
I can extrapolate what I need from there.
Corywn
A few buddies and I discussed this a while back; it really does seem that the "average stat = 3" is a holdover from SR3, but no longer applies.

Of particular interest is the "sample grunts" on ~p275

It seems to indicate "Professional Rating 0" (which would include most civvies) averages to just over 2 for all stats

Professional Rating 1 (gangers) comes in at 2.5 (four 3s, four 2s)
Professional Rating 2 (mall security) comes in at 3 average
Professional Rating 3 (LS officer) comes in at almost 3.5
and it just continues from there.
ronin3338
So, PR of 0 would be all 2s with one 3, maybe?

PR of 3 would be 4 stats at 3 and 4 at 4?

Seems a pretty reasonable progression, how's it work in play?
Shrike30
Mostly depends on how well your PCs follow the guidelines for what stats and skill ratings mean at character creation.

If they go the route of "this is what I do, so I do it really well," the NPC stats really don't hold up. The PCs tend to steamroll them.

If they go the route of "this is what I do, and this is the number the system describes as being the rating that represents my skill level," the NPC stats do fine.
Teulisch
If you have a random dude on the street, no backstory or anything on him, lets say a hotdog vendor, i would say go ahead and give him all 2s in stats (or raciam min+1). that would put him at 160 BP or more. 12 points of knowledges free.

i would suspect he would have pilot ground craft 1, negotiation 4, etiquite 2, con 2, computer 1, data search 1, first aid 1, perception 4, club 1, and a few points in gear for the hodog stand and licsence. enough dice to be able to do his job and make a living, but nothing outstanding.

i would put the random NPCs at a limit of two skills at 4, or 1 skill at 5. cap attributes at 5 (or the racial +4 equivilent).

now if that hot-dog vendor happens to be a troll, then your looking at an 'underdeveloped' strength and body of 6, with everything else at 2. and with that bonus, he will only have half as many skills.
Ryu
Random pedestrian? Use 2-4 dice according to whim or desription of said NPC. Donīt think about it. Unaugmented + untrained + underequipped = no match for the PC anyway.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (Corywn)
A few buddies and I discussed this a while back; it really does seem that the "average stat = 3" is a holdover from SR3, but no longer applies.

Of particular interest is the "sample grunts" on ~p275

It seems to indicate "Professional Rating 0" (which would include most civvies) averages to just over 2 for all stats

Professional Rating 1 (gangers) comes in at 2.5 (four 3s, four 2s)
Professional Rating 2 (mall security) comes in at 3 average
Professional Rating 3 (LS officer) comes in at almost 3.5
and it just continues from there.

This however is even better.

Seems balanced to work well, i'll try this out.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Teulisch)
If you have a random dude on the street, no backstory or anything on him, lets say a hotdog vendor, i would say go ahead and give him all 2s in stats (or raciam min+1). that would put him at 160 BP or more. 12 points of knowledges free.

i would suspect he would have pilot ground craft 1, negotiation 4, etiquite 2, con 2, computer 1, data search 1, first aid 1, perception 4, club 1, and a few points in gear for the hodog stand and licsence. enough dice to be able to do his job and make a living, but nothing outstanding.

i would put the random NPCs at a limit of two skills at 4, or 1 skill at 5. cap attributes at 5 (or the racial +4 equivilent).

now if that hot-dog vendor happens to be a troll, then your looking at an 'underdeveloped' strength and body of 6, with everything else at 2. and with that bonus, he will only have half as many skills.

wait in your world hot dog vendors have negotiation 4. Hot dog vendor = politician, diplomat, socialite, senior manager. How often do hot dog vedors haggle of the price of a dog in your city. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012