Full Version: RL Arcology
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
rlemansky
Follow the link-saw it on TV...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_City

Deus Ex Machina, I propose.

R
Lindt
Its not a new idea. I actually got to attend a Palo Solari lecture a month or so ago (he has been credited with 'inventing' the archology). Really brillant guy.
Jrayjoker
This is a very complex system that is being proposed. Does anyone know how it compares in scope to the largest SR arcology?
Kagetenshi
Not sure about the largest arc, but as compared to the Renraku Arcology:

Over twice as tall (2,004 meters vs. 969 meters)

Base perimeter almost identical (2,800 meters vs. 2,860 meters)

Intended permanent population about seven times as large (~700,000 people vs. ~100,000 people).

Fusion reactor count infinitely smaller (zero vs. three)

Rogue AIs: ? (? vs. two)

~J
Platinum
the reactor count is smaller right now, but if it ever went forward, you would find at least 1 reactor in there. There is no way you are powering that thing on solar. especially with a few industrial levels
Kagetenshi
Oh, doubtless. That said, it's far from guaranteed that we'll have workable fusion by the time this or something like it starts being built—fission's still more likely.

~J
Panzergeist
One huge problem with all of these arcology ideas: You would have to clear a shitload of space for them. In Tokyo, that's pretty unlikely. I could see an arcology being built on the edge of a city which has somemore or less undeveloped land at it's perimeter, but good luck clearing six or more square kilometers of downtown Tokyo. And believe it or not, a couple of even bigger Tokyo arcologies have been proposed.
Kanada Ten
They were talking about building some of them on the ocean, rather than clearing landspace.
emo samurai
That is insane. What does everyone feel about it? Would you like living in the arc, not seeing the sun for weeks on end?

Then again, it actually sounds really spacious; the people in the arc wouldn't be nearly so cramped as the people in the SCIRE, so I guess I'm torn. And Tokyo as it is is really clean, and that's without the modular layout and level of automation the arc definitely will hvae...
Kanada Ten
What prevents you from seeing the sun? Besides simsun and such, there are people that go months without seeing the sun today... But in the case of arcologies, there will still be gardens and parks with sunlight directed deep inside using mirrors and such as needed.
emo samurai
I might actually like the SCIRE, I mean Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid. It also seems as if there will be a lot more space for each unit than there is in an average apartment. At 50,000,000 square meters for 240,000 residential units, that's about 200 square meters for each apartment, or about 14 meters on each side. That's really, really good.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (emo samurai)
What does everyone feel about it?

I feel awesome about it.
Would you like living in the arc, not seeing the sun for weeks on end?

Leaving aside fancy methods like piping sunlight in via fiberoptics, take another look at that picture—it looks like a bunch of suspended apartment buildings. it's probably only somewhat less sunny than a dense downtown area is today.
Then again, it actually sounds really spacious; the people in the arc wouldn't be nearly so cramped as the people in the SCIRE, so I guess I'm torn.

Where did you get the idea that the SCIRE was cramped? As long as you aren't a Troll or large Ork, it was quite roomy by all accounts. Consider that, even ignoring the larger industrial areas, the SCIRE is probably not that much less than half the volume of this place while having one-eighth the permanent residents.

~J
emo samurai
I edited my above post to include my calculations of living arrangements.

Does anyone have any other information about it? Like traffic handling, power, etc.?
Kanada Ten
Three fusion reactors in the basement...
Kagetenshi
An AI for traffic handling…

~J
emo samurai
A few automated hospitals for near-future sci-fi horror...
Teulisch
its japan. it will probably have a school in there... im betting on tentacle monsters. posibly from a disgruntled genetic engineer. sushi for everyone!

and then theres fun with zombies....

in all seriousness, i hate to think what a good earthquake or tsunami will do to one of those things...

emo samurai
Dude, anything made in Japan can stand a nuke to the FACE.

But seriously, I'm sure that 80-90% of the buildings in Tokyo now could easily withstand an earthquake, to say nothing of a SOTA arcology.
Kagetenshi
Just don't touch it with a katana.

~J
Kanada Ten
...i hate to think what a good earthquake or tsunami will do to one of those things...

[The pyramid] would probably have a better chance against [earthquakes or tsunamis] than the rest of Tokyo:
Because the world's seismically active Pacific Ring of Fire cuts right through Japan, the external structure of the pyramid will be an open network of megatrusses, supporting struts made from carbon nanotubes to allow the pyramid to stand against high winds, earthquakes, and tsunamis.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
...i hate to think what a good earthquake or tsunami will do to one of those things...

It would probably have a better chance against them than the rest of Tokyo.

I don't understand your use of pronouns!!! mad.gif
Nasrudith
The price of "land" in an arcology must be obscene from the construction costs. Also it's probably extremly vulrnable to 9-11 style attacks.
Kanada Ten
How is it more vulnerable than another skyscraper? The trusses wouldn't "soften" from a fuel fire as the steel did, so they'd be a bad target. Even taking several sections out wouldn't hurt the structure as a whole due to the spherical transfers. The biggest target would be the cables supporting the individual buildings inside the super structure. In terms of damage, that's more or less equivalent to a plane to building attack, AFAIK.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nasrudith @ Jun 1 2006, 10:08 PM)
Also it's probably extremly vulrnable to 9-11 style attacks.

Guess what it's also extremely vulnerable to? Meteor strikes, controlled demolition, missiles, and the laws of physics!

~J
nezumi
I read somewhere the thing is made so it can all move under ground in the case of giant monster/mecha attack.
Witness
QUOTE (Lindt)
Its not a new idea. I actually got to attend a Palo Solari lecture a month or so ago (he has been credited with 'inventing' the archology). Really brillant guy.

Ah yes, the Arcosanti guy. Now there's a fast paced project.
QUOTE (Wikipedia)
It has been noted that at the current rate of construction, it may take several hundred years for completion of Arcosanti.

Reminds me of the Sagrada Familia which I visited recently. The really impressive thing was going inside and seeing them (still) building it.
This pyramid would be really breathtaking, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll actually get built. Economics is the biggest threat to something this ambitious.
Well, economics and giant monsters/mechas, obviously.
bishop186
QUOTE (nezumi)
I read somewhere the thing is made so it can all move under ground in the case of giant monster/mecha attack.

Well that kind of thing does seem to happen a lot in Japan. Probably should make sure they've got a secret agency that gives all of its projects sacralicious codenames, too. I'm assuming that's what the research section is for.

With that dense of a population, though, wouldn't it be more susceptible to common illnesses, what with all the people in such a small place (then again, that's like... all of Tokyo anyway). Not to mention bioterrorism. Mmm, rampant disease.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Witness)
This pyramid would be really breathtaking, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll actually get built. Economics is the biggest threat to something this ambitious.

You do NOT understand the nature of Japanese economics, apparently. On a small island with an insignificant fishing village, they have a bigass wall to block out any possible tsunamis along with a rising platform large enough for everyone in the village to get on to rise above the tsunami, in case the billion dollar reinforced concrete wall weren't big enough. If it is cool and evocative of human pride enough, they will fucking build it.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Nasrudith @ Jun 1 2006, 10:08 PM)
Also it's probably extremly vulrnable to 9-11 style attacks.

Guess what it's also extremely vulnerable to? Meteor strikes, controlled demolition, missiles, and the laws of physics!

That is amusing, but he has a point. The issue is not its vulnerability to airplanes but its vulnerability as a giant, extremely accessible target of enormous economic, ideological, and human value. There are concrete vulnerabilities and there are abstract vulnerabilities.
Witness
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jun 2 2006, 12:18 PM)
If it is cool and evocative of human pride enough, they will fucking build it.

I used to study architecture, and sadly I'm aware of a number of cool Japanese conceptual buildings (like that mile-high blade shaped skyscraper) that never actually made it off the drawing board.
I could mention North Korea here as well. Now there's a country with all the infrastructure in place for massive ego-driven state-sponsored construction projects, but just look at the sad case of the Ryugyong Hotel.
I guess I'm just a bit more cynical about these things these days. But I'd gladly be proven wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012