Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alphaware? Where did it go?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
Did the cyberware grades dissapear with SR4? I mean, it's the only real way to get Wired Reflexes 2 without crippling yourself for further Cyber. Not to mention Wired 3, which practically requires deltaware to be installed in anything other than an organic gun-drone of a security wageslave.
FanGirl
Check out the table on page 303 of your Bible for cyberware grades.
ShadowDragon8685
I.

Fuggin'.

LOVE.

You!

My DM didn't think Alpha was still available at chargen, we just haden't seen it. smile.gif
Teulisch
as an added bonus, non-cultured bioware can be in grades as well. if you can afford it anyhow.
Butterblume
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
I mean, it's the only real way to get Wired Reflexes 2 without crippling yourself for further Cyber.

Hey, my char has standard wired 2.

Admittedly, he's at 0,01 Essenz right now. But he has a lot of usefull stuff implanted.
Of course, i would have bought it as alpha grade, but there was this 50 BP limit for equipment ... wink.gif.

as an added bonus, non-cultured bioware can be in grades as well. if you can afford it anyhow.

Cultured bioware can be, as well. As was discussed numerous times. If you have the money.
mdynna
I always thought there were only 2 grade of Bioware: Cultured and non-Cultured.
Butterblume
I won't go into how I thought it was in SR3 biggrin.gif.

In SR4 all bioware is available in the grades standard - delta. Cultured Bioware has to be custom made for its recipient, even the standard grade. That seems to be the only drawback. (And the costs, of course nyahnyah.gif).
Calvin Hobbes
I don't think that's true.
Brahm
Please use Search. This has been discussed to death, including an email reply from Rob at Fanpro. SR4 cultured bioware is available in grades from Standard through Delta, with applicable cost adjustments.

So you can get Synaptic Boosters III implanted for only 0.75 Essense, but it'll cost you 2.4 million nuyen.gif before street cost adjustments.
Shrike30
I think the only difference between "cultured" and normal bioware is the custom-made descriptor (which would seem to exclude getting "used cultured bioware," although I don't believe the rules explicitly state this).
Brahm
Cultured bioware must be tailor-made for the intended
recipient, so it is more expensive and takes longer to acquire.

That does strongly suggest that used cultured bioware would at least require serious alterations before implanting, and it seems entirely reasonable that it would either be more expensive than new or outright impossible. The Street Cost modifier on page 303 for "Item used" is only -20%. That doesn't leave a lot of margin for custom alterations of an implant.
Butterblume
I think it strongly suggests that cultured bioware normally can't be used for someone else...
Voran
QUOTE (mdynna)
I always thought there were only 2 grade of Bioware: Cultured and non-Cultured.

Beta grade bioware roughly takes the place of cultured bioware in SR 4. And now you can go one step further and go delta, course, with the cost requirements on even 'regular' grade bioware, delta cost mods seem a little insane for the essence modifier, so beta (in my opinion) still seems to be the most bang for your buck.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Voran)
Beta grade bioware roughly takes the place of cultured bioware in SR 4.

Um ok I have a question about this first line you said.

If previous cyber grades are Standard, Alpha, Beta, and Delta and previous bio grades are Standard, and Cultured then under the new rules following the grade levels as they are printed wouldn't the bio grades be Standard = Standard , and Cultured = Alpha?

Which leaves 2 levels Beta, and Delta of upgrades to go on either Standard, or Cultured?
Butterblume
That cultured bioware counts as betaware is a SR3 thing, and not in SR4.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Casazil)
QUOTE (Voran @ Jun 7 2006, 05:10 PM)
Beta grade bioware roughly takes the place of cultured bioware in SR 4.

Um ok I have a question about this first line you said.

If previous cyber grades are Standard, Alpha, Beta, and Delta and previous bio grades are Standard, and Cultured then under the new rules following the grade levels as they are printed wouldn't the bio grades be Standard = Standard , and Cultured = Alpha?

Which leaves 2 levels Beta, and Delta of upgrades to go on either Standard, or Cultured?

It works like this...

Cyberware: Standard -> Alpha -> Beta -> Delta
Bioware: Standard/Cultured -> Alpha -> Beta -> Delta
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012