Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The flavor is in the wine...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadowmeet
This topic was inspired by previous posts on unusual skills, and the hymnal having Elven Wines as a listed skill.

Personally, I love wines. I love to learn about new wines as well.

And as some of you, or all of you, may know, much of how a wine is classified depends on the grape. Pinot Noir, riesling, etc.

So, I was wondering, with the Awakening, and with Gene therapy, and other modifications, has anyone come up with strange ideas for new grapes and wines?

Something like MoonGrape. This grape is very hardy and actually is best if pressed after a freeze, and made into an eiswein, or Ice Wine. This provides more sugar, and makes it more of a dessert wine. This grape is an awakened offshoot of the riesling, and provides interesting intoxicating effects to Awakened people, such as seeing only in the astral, or seeing the astral in a negative image of how they normally perceive it.

Any other ideas?
Geekkake
This is a great topic for game flavor. Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about wine to make any interesting comments. The only thing I can think of offhand is differently colored grapes by genetic modification. So fortified wine connoisseurs like myself who have had their bitter affairs with MD 20/20 won't be the only people to experience orange "wine".

You know this would bring in the lowbrow folks who like anything in a bizarre color.
Glayvin34
Yeah, Geekkake's got a good one there. Awakened grapes might have orange or blue or black skin, which leads to different color vintages than we are used to.

Adding the concept of the Awakening to all the organic goodness that goes into wine could have several effects:
1. Grapes. Besides color, the fruitiness, sugar content, and texture could be altered by an Awakened grape.

2. Aging. Special Awakened Oak or something?

3. Effect. Some Awakened wine could have an effect on a Mage's ability to cast, perhaps causing unintended effects, Astral Perception (The Deepweed Effect), a healthy glow, that kind of thing.

4. New hidden flavors. I went wine tasting once and I drank a vintage that had "strong hints of toast". An Awakened wine might appeal to more common or uncommon pallets. Imagine the glass with a beefy finish.

5. Fermentation. Awakened yeast might ferment sugar into an entirely different substance in addition to the alcohol, such as the aforementioned deepweed effect, a luminescent or flourescent wine, who knows what else?

More importantly, I bet many Vineyards would tout their position in a "High-Magic Area", regardless of the effect or lack thereof on the wine.
stevebugge
Considering where Tir Tairngire is located a good place to start might be researching present day Oregon Wineries, well not as well known as either California or Washington wines Oregon produces some very good reds, no reason to think this stopped because elves took over. Grape varieties aren't likely to have changed much, there may be a few awakened varieties that have popped up. However the Immortals that run the country probably have literature on vinicultural technique and oenology and the long life spans of regular elves give them a great deal of time to perfect their craft.

EDIT: added a wine link
GrinderTheTroll
Ripple 2070 gonna make my Toxin Filter work overtime me thinks. wink.gif
Lagomorph
Gene tech yeast could withstand much higher alchohol contents, turning wines into seriously alchoholic beverages. Or they could output some other chemical rather than alchohol from the sugar, you could have Acid wine, novacoke wine.

In my game, there was always a distillery in the barrens that sold trollshine. The rigger I played used it do degrease his engines.
Shrike30
Don't forget that you can make "wine" out of things besides grapes...
Shadowmeet
True, some of my favorites are made from other things

Rocky Mountain Meadery has an awesome selection of meads, and there is a place called St Kathryns that sells cranberry wine, and strawberry rhubarb.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Ripple 2070 gonna make my Toxin Filter work overtime me thinks. wink.gif

...dont forget ol' ThunderTrain 20-20. Mmm...mmm...now that's what I call tres chic drinkin'.

Available now at your nearest StufferShack
Shrike30
Wonder why they'd advertise that a cheap booze would keep your vision perfect... ThunderTrain 20-100 or something would probably sell faster smile.gif
Lagomorph
"ThunderTrain 20-100, Filled with nano lazik bots!"
stevebugge
http://www.bumwine.com/

These should all be updated for 2070
neon_samurai
Keep in mind, the REALLY good wines were probably bottled pre Awakening.

As for my offering...

Santa Margaretta Pinot Grisio...AKA "Yum in a Bottle"
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (neon_samurai)

As for my offering...

Not always C man. In fact, not mostly. Most wines are bottled and meant to be imbibed within 1 to 5 years. Only a small percentage is meant to be aged. In addition, several wine magazines have had reviewers who scored young wines higher than aged wines. It all depends on personal taste, as well as circumstances around the making of the wine.

Teulisch
http://www.tomasellowinery.com/

i got a bottle of this from the grocey store. blackberry wine is good stuff smile.gif

personaly, my tastes run towards lambic, which is technicaly a beer imported from belgium.

at the local wine store (where they stock lambic), theres a brand called 'cheap red wine'.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Shadowmeet @ Jun 16 2006, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (neon_samurai @ Jun 16 2006, 12:05 PM)

As for my offering...

Not always C man. In fact, not mostly. Most wines are bottled and meant to be imbibed within 1 to 5 years. Only a small percentage is meant to be aged. In addition, several wine magazines have had reviewers who scored young wines higher than aged wines. It all depends on personal taste, as well as circumstances around the making of the wine.

Very true, and for a bottle to last even a few years it has to be stored properly, otherwise the cork dries and shrinks and the wine oxidates.

Though, pre awakening port would be something else..
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

As for my offering...

Very true, and for a bottle to last even a few years it has to be stored properly, otherwise the cork dries and shrinks and the wine oxidates.

Although, a lot of highly reputable wine makes are moving towards artificial( read: plastic) corks that work as well, without the threat of cork taint.

Nothing worse than paying 2 grand for a pre-awakened port, and having cork taint.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Shadowmeet)
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jun 16 2006, 12:39 PM)

As for my offering...

Although, a lot of highly reputable wine makes are moving towards artificial( read: plastic) corks that work as well, without the threat of cork taint.

Nothing worse than paying 2 grand for a pre-awakened port, and having cork taint.

Paying 20 grand?
Kyoto Kid
...not out of the question. Especially if it has been cellared properly.

I paid $165 for a bottle of vintage 1963 port back in the 90's. Very tasty I might add.
Shadowmeet
Well, I actually stated 2 grand, but there are wines that have gone for tremendous amounts, and will likely only be opened when some rich guy is on his deathbed.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Teulisch)
at the local wine store (where they stock lambic), theres a brand called 'cheap red wine'.

Sold.
Lebo77
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Jun 16 2006, 01:15 PM)

Sold.

I actualy had a bottle of "Cheap White Wine" a while back. Not too bad actualy.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Geekkake)

Sold.

...I've seen it too.

There has been a rash of overly "cheeky" wine brand names as of late like:

Big House Red
Big Ass
Wine by Joe
neon_samurai
Yeah, you really can't put aged and young wines in the same scoring category, because one of the masteries of making wine is the abillity to create a wine that will survive the aging process. You can drink a wine up to 6 months after racking. Mead after 1 yr.

Plus taste and flavor are subjective, some would always choose an aged over a fresh young award winner. Just depends on the pallate.

Long live BOXED wine! LOL
JongWK
Try some Tannat if you can. It's Uruguay's specialty. facelick.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Teulisch)
personaly, my tastes run towards lambic, which is technicaly a beer imported from belgium.

Not quite. The bulk of Lambics are crafted in Belgium, this is true. Not all Belgian Beers are Lambics. Lambic specifically refers to a style of beer that is fermented by wild yeast (as in yeast is not added in the brewing process, it comes from the outside environment) and these beers often are also flavored with fruit.
Geekkake
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Jun 16 2006, 10:15 AM)

Not quite. The bulk of Lambics are crafted in Belgium, this is true. Not all Belgian Beers are Lambics. Lambic specifically refers to a style of beer that is fermented by wild yeast (as in yeast is not added in the brewing process, it comes from the outside environment) and these beers often are also flavored with fruit.

Wild... yeast... not added... so do they brew it in some kind of horrible, man-killing yeast-cloud, or what? Seems like that'd be expensive.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jun 16 2006, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Geekkake)

Sold.

...I've seen it too.

There has been a rash of overly "cheeky" wine brand names as of late like:

Big House Red
Big Ass
Wine by Joe

or cheecky nicknames. Charles Shaw I think got the nickname 2 buck chuck. Since at trader joes it was sold at 2$ a bottle.

Not a wine person, occasionally I'll drink port whcih IMO is totally different. For me wine is just there to make sangria. Now beer and hard booze oh yeah. Gosslings rum, old portero rye whisky, various barley wines are all yummy. As long as my liver markers keep coming up 17/17 I'll keep drinking.
Geekkake
I'm with you on the liquor, and that brings up questions of Awakened or genetically modified sugar canes, wheat, corn, potatoes, agave, etc, as well as the horrible, man-killing yeast-cloud plague of 2038, which decimated the population of three counties in Kentucky.

Wine, is my estimation, is mostly just good for making Brutal Hammers (one glass half decent vodka, half robust red). They're the ultimate weapon in drinking competitions.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jun 16 2006, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Jun 16 2006, 10:15 AM)

Wild... yeast... not added... so do they brew it in some kind of horrible, man-killing yeast-cloud, or what? Seems like that'd be expensive.

The stuff is pretty expensive, at least compared to other beers. Methods vary but some I've come accross in research involve using the same brewing vessel year in and year out, without sanitizing to kill the yeast culture in between or leaving the brew in a well ventilated upper floor room. At least those are traditional methods, commercial brewers may well be using a yeast culture derived from a strain found in one of the traditional ways. The fruit is probably added to hide undesirable flavors from the wild yeast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012