Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rigging / Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DgrenJ
I am fairly new to Rigging in general, and definitely new to SR4.

I am trying to find some quick and dirty answers as to the basics of using drones.

Some Questions I have...

1.) I know the amount of drones a Rigger can have going at once, is based on his commlink, but with proper programming (autosofts) could the drones that are subscribed to be doing their own thing?

For example... Could I have a doberman patrolling, a Linx walking with my group with orders to engage anything my party engages, and perhaps a Roto Drone flying above with orders to warn me of incoming people?

I really do not know how far one can go with Drones, and if multiple drones can essentially take care of themselves, and have several go at once.

2.) I read that Drones get 3 initiative passes, is this true?

3.) If a drone fires a Full Auto weapon, does it have to account for recoil like a metatype would?

Those are my basic questions, but any other suggestions/tips would be much appreciated, im not looking at figuring out complex stuff at the moment, mostly just the simple "how to" of drones and rigging.

Thanks in advance.

- DgrenJ

Aaron
QUOTE (DgrenJ)
1.) I know the amount of drones a Rigger can have going at once, is based on his commlink, but with proper programming (autosofts) could the drones that are subscribed to be doing their own thing?

This is essentially the case. The limit is the number of drones a rigger can actually be in contact with simultaneously. A drone that's off doing its own thing doesn't need to be subscribed all of the time, and so could be cut loose to allow for other connections.

Also, the rules mention that the drones can be subscribed to one another, and so a rigger could use one drone to relay commands to a set of other drones. I'm sure your GM will thank you for it.

QUOTE (DgrenJ)
2.) I read that Drones get 3 initiative passes, is this true?

Yep. Page 239 of your hymnal.

QUOTE (DgrenJ)
3.) If a drone fires a Full Auto weapon, does it have to account for recoil like a metatype would?

Signs point to yes. The rules don't say that it does, but the recoil rules are inclusive, not exclusive; it doesn't say that the recoil rules are for metatypes, or not for drones, it just says that guns cause recoil. An argument against recoil for drones would be pretty weak, but this is Dumpshock, so somebody will probably attempt to make that argument.

You might also want to expose yourself to the unmitigated joy that is this thread, entitled "Rigging/Hacking: Help!" for further information.
DgrenJ
And can the multiple drones then just pilot themselves and run around doing what they were ordered to do?

Also... could anyone with a bit more experience than myself perhaps give me some example "Orders" that one might give a drone, and what the likely reaction and behavior of the drone would be with those orders?

Thanks

- DgrenJ
Aaron
QUOTE (DgrenJ)
And can the multiple drones then just pilot themselves and run around doing what they were ordered to do?

Also... could anyone with a bit more experience than myself perhaps give me some example "Orders" that one might give a drone, and what the likely reaction and behavior of the drone would be with those orders?

Yes, the drones can act autonomously. It can make decisions and distinguish between people and situations.

Some sample orders:
  • Fly a certain pattern and report any weapons you see.
  • Remain here and shoot at any person who comes from that direction.
  • Attack these targets.
  • Go home using a semi-random route.
  • Drive to this address, allow a person to put a pizza into your cargo area, and drive home.

See also "Pilot Programs" on page 213.
Demon_Bob
Can I benefit from a smart link while jumped into a Drone?

Does being hot linked while Jumped into a Drone offer +2 die to manuvering and gunnery?

Does the hot SIM Mod Stack with Controll Rig bonus?

What kind of target numbers and processes are needed to take over control of a Drone: spot its hidden node, find the controlling comlink, spoof the com's command, Hacking the com is fairly well defined.

Other than increasing Firewall, Analyze, and Encryption can anything really be done to keep a dedicated hacker out of your remote Drones.

Are there any mechanical tricks such as rotating frequencys?
Jaid
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
Can I benefit from a smart link while jumped into a Drone?

Does being hot linked while Jumped into a Drone offer +2 die to manuvering and gunnery?

Does the hot SIM Mod Stack with Controll Rig bonus?

What kind of target numbers and processes are needed to take over control of a Drone: spot its hidden node, find the controlling comlink, spoof the com's command, Hacking the com is fairly well defined.

Other than increasing Firewall, Analyze, and Encryption can anything really be done to keep a dedicated hacker out of your remote Drones.

Are there any mechanical tricks such as rotating frequencys?

as far as i can tell, you can benefit from a smartlink on a drone mounted gun.

Hotsim in rigging is hotly debated. personally, i say yes. many say no.

If the hotsim modifier applies to rigging, then yes it would stack with the control rig.

same as finding anything else. i'd go into more detail, but the SR4 book has already done it for me in the wireless chapter =D

as far as protecting your drones, i would include such things as biometric readings to command your drones, or maybe a passkey. basically, the same kind of things you might see in a secure network to make it harder to hack. you could also, if you so choose, load it up with IC as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012