Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dikote
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mister Juan
I did a search on the boards, because I was convinced someone had already converted Dikote to SR4 rules... but I couldn't find anything.

Quite frankly, I am rather unsure on how to handle dikote weapons in SR4. If someone has an idea (or if the whole thing was already done but I couldn't find it), please speak up wink.gif

Thanks a bunch.
James McMurray
+1 DV -1AP seems about right to me.
stevebugge
I'm not sure if it's been done or not. It should certainly improve a weapon's AP value and Damage Value, the question is how much? Also in Shadowtech the flavor text mentioned that Dikote was conductive so it should be incompatible with the "noncondutive" option for armor in my opinion.
Geekkake
NOOOOOOOOOOOO GOD NOOOOOOO

Please, just let me have this nice, quiet time before Dikote is reintroduced in Arsenal.
Kyoto Kid
...ooops sorry (cover your ears Geekkake)

I would say on edged weapons (including bladed polearms) it would augment the AP factor by an additional -1.

As to blunt weapons I never really could see that it would give an advantage though it did up the damage code in SR3. Maybe adding +1 to the item's DV would work. Of course it would have to be made of material which could withstand the temperatures used in the treatment process (like say a steel pipe or titanium staff)

I never really bought the idea of treating armour (save for maybe Military Grade) for the same reason above, the high temperatures involved in the process.
James McMurray
Oops! I forgot to specify. My +1DV / -1 AP is meant for edged weapons only.
Moon-Hawk
I like Dikote, but I think it's been historically overpowered. I think +1DV/-1AP is more than enough of a bonus. I'd lean more toward something like -2AP, myself.
Lagomorph
It should add +15dv and make anything = to hardened vehicle armor because it is so COOOL!

Ahem, In actuality, I was glad to see it left out of 4th ed because it's applications didn't make a whole lot of sense, but +1dv -1 AP sounds reasonable.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I never really bought the idea of treating armour (save for maybe Military Grade) for the same reason above, the high temperatures involved in the process.

It was quite clearly stated in M&M that cloth, plastic, etc. cannot stand the temperature required to make the special diamond molecules angry enough to increase the damage caused by any coated object, and only objects made of ceramics and certain metals can be Dikoted. That means flexible body armor is right out.

Anyhow, I completely agree with Geekkake. Unfortunately it's pretty much guaranteed to make a reappearance, but right now things are good.
HappyDaze
I can understand increased AP on an edged or piercing weapon, but why an increase in DV? The weapon shouldn't actually hit any harder. Likewise, for blunt weapons there shouldn't really be any offensive effect (defensively the weapon may be slightly harder to break, but if it's just a "candy-coating" then the underlying material will still fail at about the same time it normally would - it should help hold an edge longer though).
Mister Juan
So the general consensus would be something like:
+1DV/-1AP
or
-2AP

Thanks a bunch guys biggrin.gif
James McMurray
If it's better at cutting through steel it's probably better at cutting through less dense materials like bone and sinew.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If it's better at cutting through steel it's probably better at cutting through less dense materials like bone and sinew.

Actually, no. Hardened steel is already way harder than bone or sinew, and you can make it just as sharp, and as such will cut through an unmodified human body with equal ease. Unless, of course, you assume that the steel edges are always somewhat deformed (dented, chipped, etc.) and that the extremely thin angry diamond film somehow makes the blade immune to such deformation.
stevebugge
I've always found Dikote to be much better as a tool enhancement, my all time favorite being Dikoted Bolt Cutters.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Unless, of course, you assume that the steel edges are always somewhat deformed (dented, chipped, etc.) and that the extremely thin angry diamond film somehow makes the blade immune to such deformation.

This is shadowrun. Nothing is perfect, including edges on weapons. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Except when they're Dikoted?
mfb
i've always assumed that when you dikote a blade's edge, you first sharpen the edge with a laser, or some other means by which you can hone the metal to an edge so fine as to normally be useless (because it will chip the first time it smacks into something hard). you then lay the dikote on overtop of that.
James McMurray
Except when they're Dikoted?

Nah, Dikote blades are imperfect too, they're just not a imperfect. wink.gif

mfb's response works alot better than mine. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Swordcraft isn't my strongest suit, but AFAICT when a sword is first sharpened, there is no reason not to make it "inifinitely" sharp, ie. completely remove the bevel and make the cutting edge as thin as whatever sharpening method you're using allows. I doubt a thin diamond film would bestow enough strength to the blade to allow a significantly more acute final sharpening angle (which is the main factor when considering the possibility of denting and chipping). If the sword is not of good quality or it has been banged against hard objects beforehand, then that might give a slight advantage to the blade with the angry diamonds on it, but otherwise a Dikoted sword would not cut more efficiently.

It's much easier to digest an increased damage if, instead of a thin diamond film, it's some sort of treatment of the materials,probably during the original manufacturing of the item, that greatly increases its hardness and strength overall.
James McMurray
He's not saying you make the sword sharper than normal, just that it will stay that sharp instead of being blunted the moment it strikes something.

I ain't saying it works, but Dikote is something I've never tried to explain with RL science. Huge chunks of most games fall apart when you try that, so why bother? smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (James McMurray)
[...] blunted the moment it strikes something.

If the first thing you strike with your 70 RC edge is an armor steel plate, then sure it gets blunted -- regardless of whether its got diamond on top or not. If, on the other hand, it's flexible body armor fibers, flesh and bone, you can keep going for quite a while before your cutting ability is significantly diminished, with or without Dikote.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
I ain't saying it works, but Dikote is something I've never tried to explain with RL science. Huge chunks of most games fall apart when you try that, so why bother? smile.gif

I have no problems with that approach. I'm just discussing what the effects would realistically be, because apparently there are some in this thread that are interested in that aspect.
Red
Wasn't Dikote introduced as an in-game stopgap to address the fact that melee weapons weren't lethal enough? Sort of like the introduction of IPE grenades? If the SR designers believe they've got melee damage right, there may be no reason to reintroduce dikote at all.
James McMurray
There's no reason to introduce it except for historical continuity. There will be a lot of upset folks out there if it doesn't appear.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I've always found Dikote to be much better as a tool enhancement, my all time favorite being Dikoted Bolt Cutters.

...or a dikoted chainsaw chain.

[Note: only availble in Texas and Adams County Wis.]
NightmareX
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Ahh, so you know of the hell that is Adams county. wink.gif Word of mouth or (shudder) personal experience?
Cray74
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Jun 28 2006, 10:13 PM)
Actually, no. Hardened steel is already way harder than bone or sinew, and you can make it just as sharp, and as such will cut through an unmodified human body with equal ease. Unless, of course, you assume that the steel edges are always somewhat deformed (dented, chipped, etc.) and that the extremely thin angry diamond film somehow makes the blade immune to such deformation.

Improving the surface hardness of a cutting implement does help cutting performance. Ultra-hard deposited coatings (including diamond) are common enough in carbide cutting tools.

I ain't saying it works, but Dikote is something I've never tried to explain with RL science. Huge chunks of most games fall apart when you try that, so why bother?

Dikote's behavior is definitely based on real science, it's just exaggerated.

To continue the exaggeration into SR4, something like a -1AP bonus or -1 AP, +1 DV for edged weapons would get my vote.

A +1 bonus would be reasonable for armor, too.

Blunt weapons shouldn't benefit.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cray74)
Improving the surface hardness of a cutting implement does help cutting performance.

I can understand that, when the object being cut comes anywhere near the hardness of cutting edge of the blade. I don't see why it would make a difference in cutting meat whether the blade is HRC 70 or whether it's coated with something even harder. Or is there blunting constantly going on at the edge of even the hardest steel when it cuts through flesh?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jun 28 2006, 08:28 PM)

Ahh, so you know of the hell that is Adams county. wink.gif Word of mouth or (shudder) personal experience?

...actually kind of in between since I knew someone when I was at UWSP who hailed from nearby there. Had lots of interesting tales & trivia.

To think, there's a town there called "Friendship".

Gives me the willys just thinking of it

Slump
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Jun 29 2006, 09:12 AM)
Or is there blunting constantly going on at the edge of even the hardest steel when it cuts through flesh?

You also have to consider that, in shadowrun, the flesh contains suprising amounts of metal.
2bit
QUOTE (James McMurray)
There's no reason to introduce it except for historical continuity. There will be a lot of upset folks out there if it doesn't appear.

Knowledge.... lost in the crash!!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Cray74)
Improving the surface hardness of a cutting implement does help cutting performance.

I can understand that, when the object being cut comes anywhere near the hardness of cutting edge of the blade. I don't see why it would make a difference in cutting meat whether the blade is HRC 70 or whether it's coated with something even harder. Or is there blunting constantly going on at the edge of even the hardest steel when it cuts through flesh?

This is. This isn't a result of the edge wearing down. It it the result of the edge bending. The edge of a sharp knife is very thin and the thiner the edge the more easily it will bend. It doesn't matter how sharp your knife is if the cutting edge isn't pointing in the right direction. This can be corrected with a sharpening steel. Harder materials more less likely to bend.

Actually, steel makes a crappy cutting edge compared to some other materials. This is obvious when looking at even the best steel blade under a powerful microscope. The steel edge is very uneven. The best edges come from chipped obsidian. Unfortunatly, with hardness comes brittleness. The extra performance of an ultra-hard edge isn't worth the the extra fragility that comes with in for most applications. Cutting meat is a great use for chipped obsidian blades. Combat, on the other hand, requires something far more durable.
mfb
Swordcraft isn't my strongest suit, but AFAICT when a sword is first sharpened, there is no reason not to make it "inifinitely" sharp, ie. completely remove the bevel and make the cutting edge as thin as whatever sharpening method you're using allows.

from the information i've picked up from bladesmithing hobbyists, you don't want a razor-sharp edge to a fighting blade. if it's thin enough, it will chip, ding, dent, etcetera when it hits anything hard--bone included. remember that hardness is not everything, when it comes to what breaks what. i've seen a pine branch driven through the trunk of a palm tree, by hurricane-force winds.

all that said, i've always thought that SR3's +1 DL is a bit on the way-too-high side. i think adding +1 or maybe +2 to the power is plenty. after all, the edge isn't doing more damage; if you accidentally cut your thumb on it, your thumb's not going to fall off. it just allows you to bypass hard materials such as armor or bone--the end result of which may very well be more damage. but it's not guaranteed.
Cray74
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Jun 29 2006, 02:12 PM)

I'm just sharing empirical data. A diamond coating makes a noticeable difference between a bare tungsten carbide tool and a coated tool, so I take that to mean that dikoting can have an impact even in the most extreme examples. Steels, even tool steels, ain't in the "most extreme" category, so dikoting will have a distinct benefit with them.

SR exaggerates the benefit, but it's a benefit based on RL.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
Swordcraft isn't my strongest suit, but AFAICT when a sword is first sharpened, there is no reason not to make it "inifinitely" sharp, ie. completely remove the bevel and make the cutting edge as thin as whatever sharpening method you're using allows.

from the information i've picked up from bladesmithing hobbyists, you don't want a razor-sharp edge to a fighting blade. if it's thin enough, it will chip, ding, dent, etcetera when it hits anything hard--bone included. remember that hardness is not everything, when it comes to what breaks what. i've seen a pine branch driven through the trunk of a palm tree, by hurricane-force winds.

all that said, i've always thought that SR3's +1 DL is a bit on the way-too-high side. i think adding +1 or maybe +2 to the power is plenty. after all, the edge isn't doing more damage; if you accidentally cut your thumb on it, your thumb's not going to fall off. it just allows you to bypass hard materials such as armor or bone--the end result of which may very well be more damage. but it's not guaranteed.

What mfb said.

With a harder edge you can get away with a sharper edge but there comes a point where an edge is just too sharp. This is true for a combat weapon or a food preperation tool. An infinitly thin edge is a very weak edge. It is will bend or break with the slightest pressure. Few cuts are perfectly straight and fewer edges are perfectly straight. As the blade us use tortion will be applied to the edge and even a small amount of tortion will cause a very thin edge to bend, dulling the blade untill it can be repaired. At the same time you don't want the edge to be too hard. Hard steel is brittle steel. This is true for most materials. A brittle edge is likely to chip or break if it strikes a hard object, such as bone, with significant force.

Actually making a servicable cutting tool is an exercise in balance. Too much hardness and you're screwed. Too little hardness and you're just as screwed for different reasons. Too sharp and your screwed. Too dull and you're just as screwed for different reasons.

I'm baffled about the mysterious superpowers of dikote, myself. It should be very helpfull when cutting or drilling very hard objects as it is in reality. However, cutting or drilling very hard objects has never required a very sharp tool. It simply requires a tool that is sharp enough and that won't erode quickly. In fact, extreme sharpness is disadvantageous when cutting very hard materials.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
from the information i've picked up from bladesmithing hobbyists, you don't want a razor-sharp edge to a fighting blade.

I've tried to read up on this, in swordsmith interviews at the ARMA site, in the modest medieval arms related book selection available to me, etc., and what all that is saying to me is that, first, "razor-sharp" means different things to different people, and some of those definitions are not a problem in a sword (e.g. that the absolute edge of the blade is perfectly sharp at whatever angle chosen), while others will make for a shitty blade (e.g. too acute a final sharpening angle, leading to too thin a blade for a significant length from the edge).

In other words, if possible, the leading edge of the blade may as well be made perfectly sharp, but the blade geometry is quite different from that of a razor. And my understanding is that deep denting, chipping etc. would not be really protected against by a thin diamond coating, while the slow erosion of the leading edge under certain circumstances would be.

QUOTE (mfb)
if it's thin enough, it will chip, ding, dent, etcetera when it hits anything hard--bone included.

Since executioners' swords went through a lot of sharpening, I imagine in certain circumstances this is very much true. However, executioners' swords had blade geometries quite different from those of combat swords, having a much more acute sharpening angle and a far thinner blade, and were constantly hacked against very heavy bones and, I imagine, wooden blocks. They were also probably closer to HRC 40 than HRC 70.

QUOTE (Cray74)
A diamond coating makes a noticeable difference between a bare tungsten carbide tool and a coated tool, so I take that to mean that dikoting can have an impact even in the most extreme examples. Steels, even tool steels, ain't in the "most extreme" category, so dikoting will have a distinct benefit with them.

I agree that there will be a benefit. I'm just not convinced it's a serious benefit for directly causing damage to the human body. If, on the other hand, the main purpose of the sword in question is to whack holes through thin metal sheets all day long (closer to the purpose of said tools), then the benefit would no doubt be distinct. Which is why, even though it is possibly a heavy exaggeration, I'm not principally opposed to an armor penetration benefit from Dikote.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
At the same time you don't want the edge to be too hard. Hard steel is brittle steel. This is true for most materials. A brittle edge is likely to chip or break if it strikes a hard object, such as bone, with significant force.

Taken to an extreme, definitely. I once had a fancy carbon steel screwdriver head shatter on me while trying to remove a rusted in screw. I simply figure that if medieval swordsmiths managed HRC 55+ without making the edge too brittle for a combat blade, HRC 70 shouldn't be too out there for 6th world metalsmiths. Based on the pictures of sword edges (which, AFAIK, were somewhere around HRC 45-50) that have been smacked on mail, mild steel plate and other swords, denting is a far more likely outcome as long as the blade geometry is fit for the job, you don't overdo the hardness and the steel is of good quality.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
..actually kind of in between since I knew someone when I was at UWSP who hailed from nearby there.  Had lots of interesting tales & trivia.

To think, there's a town there called "Friendship".

Gives me the willys just thinking of it

Try growing up in Juneau county (right next door, specifically 15-20 miles away tops) dead.gif

It's a wonder I'm sane....... wobble.gif rotfl.gif
Cray74
I agree that there will be a benefit. I'm just not convinced it's a serious benefit for directly causing damage to the human body. If, on the other hand, the main purpose of the sword in question is to whack holes through thin metal sheets all day long (closer to the purpose of said tools), then the benefit would no doubt be distinct. Which is why, even though it is possibly a heavy exaggeration, I'm not principally opposed to an armor penetration benefit from Dikote.

I'm not convinced its worth a +1DV, either, but...

Frankly, ANY benefit from dikote in combat would be too small to be really perceived by the Shadowrun game system - it doesn't have the "resolution" to pick up the percentage improvement.

So you're left with two options: ignore dikote or give it some minimal bonus, like a +1DV and/or -1AP. If it makes enough players happy, I'd let it have both.
Moon-Hawk
I say -1AP. -2 if the former makes you cry.
It still makes your weapon *better*, but by the smallest amount the system's granularity allows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012