Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making Strength stronger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dread Polack
This is inspired by the poll that seems to elect Strength the most useless attribute. I would have to agree. If all the attributes cost the same in BPs, then they should be equally useful. Here's the question: how can you make it more useful through houserules?

1) encumbrance rules?
2) using Strength to offset recoil?
3) enforce strength minimums to use certain guns?
3.5) allow strong character to use 2-handed guns one-handed?

and here's one I've been thinking about, untested, and probably controversial:

4) change base melee damage from Str/2 to Str. This will increase the damage done by melee weapons from 1-4 points, typically. A troll with a sword could do 10+ points of damage. Really, a strong troll should be able to chop an unarmored person in half with a sword, but is this getting too harsh?

Any other ideas?

Dread Polack
stevebugge
I think except for changing the damage codes, those all sound like pretty decent ideas. The Melee damage change could quickly run in to problems from a balance perspective and would really need some playtesting.

2 and 3 could be combined, maybe add a recoil penalty to really low strength characters for certain types of guns, while allowing characters with really high strength to offset some recoil.
James McMurray
Encumbrance rules already exist, so there's no need to house rules those. Either the gear book or the 'ware book will incorporate the optional rule for strength supplying recoil compensation. I assume it will work like SR3 did, as opposed to the earlier versions which were too beefy.

3 and 3.5 seem unnecessary to me.

Actually, I think it's logical for strength to be an undervalued ability 60 years from now. We're already at a point where being strong is mostly used for people doing labor jobs and people wanting to look buff. 60 years from now the trend will probably continue so that people strong enough to do really heavy lifting might be a massive minority.
Apathy
We already have encumbrance rules:
[ Spoiler ]

Do you mean encumbrance rules that are significantly tougher than that? In that case, I'd vote no.

I think #2 is sufficient to make strength more attractive to a lot of characters, but it does make the troll merc with the HMG really, really scary.
September
Well, the book does specifically mention big trolls firing Panther cannons, when done carefully.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
This is inspired by the poll that seems to elect Strength the most useless attribute...how can you make it more useful through houserules?

Any other ideas?

Dread Polack

Enforce gun control.
Shrike30
I'd be a bigger fan of the encumberance rules if they'd bothered to include any vague suggestions as to how much half the shit in the game weighs. I work off RL knowledge for most of it, but telling a non-gunner friend "look, dude, that much armor, ammo, grenades, and weaponry easily runs 30+ kilos" can get annoying after a while.
ShadowDragon
I've always used the houserule that strength adds RC. Glad to see others use it too smile.gif

Specifically, 6 str is 1 RC, 9 str is 2 RC, 12 is 3, and 15 is 4. But I'm considering lowering this to 5, 8, 11, and 14 to make it more attainable - my players so far have ignored the houserule and still dump strength and don't pick orcs and trolls :/

Another thing I do to make strength more worthwhile is I've changed the running and swimming rules. Now running is a free action that doesn't prevent the character from taking other free actions, but doing it more than once doesn't stack. So if you have enough dice to reliably avoid glitching (which makes you trip), you might as well use the skill to add an extra meter or two per IP.
Butterblume
You also could change armor encumbrance from Body*2 to Strength+Body.
Lilt
I like Butterblume's suggestion of having armor encumberance based on Strength+Body.

Allowing free RC based on strength is something which has appeared in previous editions and makes enough sense for me to allow it if good enough rules could be made for it.

Just so that it actually gives a penalty to weak characters, I'd also suggest a revamp whereby the 'no recoil from the first bullet' rule is removed. How much recoil compensation to provide, however? Str/2, Str/3, or Str/4? Round up or down?

I personally think that it should round down, so that someone really weak (str 1 or 2) has 0RC and so would be on a penalty to fire most weapons if the 'no recoil from first bullet' rule was removed. Perhaps free RC = Str/3, rounding down, with recoil from every bullet

If you're still keeping the rules whereby there's no recoil from the first bullet then perhaps Free RC= STR/4, rounding down
Geekkake
Or, you could just put PCs who ignore the STR stat into a situation that requires STR to save their lives.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Butterblume)
You also could change armor encumbrance from Body*2 to Strength+Body.

I'll second that statement as well. Relying on body only to reflect the ability to wear armor and effectively move is not realistic. I personally have a better than average body (based on my size, nothing more) but my strength (especially for purposes of endurance) is probably on the low average side of the scale. Wearing armor will wear me out faster than any of my skinny friends with average strength simply because I have to wear more armor and carry my above average self around along with it.
Thanee
Adding recoil compensation is an obvious one (and certainly will be an optional rule in some upcoming book, as it was before).

Also switching armor encumbrance from Body to Strength might be worth a thought.

Bye
Thanee
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Thanee)
Adding recoil compensation is an obvious one (and certainly will be an optional rule in some upcoming book, as it was before).

Also switching armor encumbrance from Body to Strength might be worth a thought.

Bye
Thanee

Personally I would see armor, with the exception of FBA, using Body + Agi if anything other than just body. All it would really serve to do is make trolls and orcs even stronger for their BP cost than they already are.

Also, to one of the suggestions above, how can you possibly even consider adding recoil to the first shot? There is no recoil until AFTER it has been fired. Ergo the first bullet cannot be affected by it.
Lilt
QUOTE (Geekkake)
Or, you could just put PCs who ignore the STR stat into a situation that requires STR to save their lives.

The problem is that there are very few areas which require personal strength, or even require actual strength at-all. I need to move that heavy object, do I? A mage can levitate it or summon a strong spirit to move it. It could be blasted through, or worked around, ETC. The enemy is grappleing me? Thank goodness I have shock frills or touch-range spells.

@X-Kalibur: Hmm. Having never fired a firearm, I'm no expert on this. What you say makes sense though, so I'll retract the suggestion for now.
Zen Shooter01
You can give bonuses to intimidation tests for characters with high Str. A lot of visible muscle helps to intimidate.
Lilt
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Personally I would see armor, with the exception of FBA, using Body + Agi if anything other than just body. All it would really serve to do is make trolls and orcs even stronger for their BP cost than they already are.
Erm... Making strength more powerful/useful is the whole point of this. As both trolls and orcs get an equal or larger bonus to body than they do to strength, I don't see how this woudl make them more powerful. The one race it would make more powerful is Dwarves. Dwarves get a larger bonus to strength than they do body, but dwarves are so strong anyway (and strength is so useless) that I've never seen a non-melee dwarf put a point in strength. 3 is usually fine.
Lilt
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
You can give bonuses to intimidation tests for characters with high Str. A lot of visible muscle helps to intimidate.

Well, that's covered already with the 'subject is physically imposing in some way' modifier, which maxxes at +3 dice. I suppose you could increase that cap slightly, or add direct mechanics for it, but as it stands I don't see why ultra-big muscles would be more of a bonus than some other displayed physical ability.

Also, I'd have said that size (more accurately a function of body and strength) was just-as or possibly more important than plain-old biceps. I mean look at cats who arch their backs to look bigger, or peacoks who have the big tail fans to frighten-off would-be attackers.
stevebugge
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Also, to one of the suggestions above, how can you possibly even consider adding recoil to the first shot? There is no recoil until AFTER it has been fired. Ergo the first bullet cannot be affected by it.

I would agree that having a recoil penalty prior to the first shot makes no sense at all. I think to penalize very low strength characters perhaps they should lose a dice because being physically underdeveloped makes it difficult to hold a gun steady, as an example I am a much better shot with a .22 rifle on a bench rest than prone or standing and using the encumbrance rules I'd probably have a 4 strength. I would also say that really low strength characters might get an additional recoil penalty, maybe +1 on the second shot as the gun bucks further off target.
sorcel
It might be hard to implement, but I'd like to see certain physical skills currently based only on Agility incorporate Strength as well. For example, real-world gymnastics depends easily as much on pure muscle power as on coordination. There's a reason why the Iron Cross is considered really challenging.

Also, I second the notion of Intimidation in combination with Strength. Hell, I think Intimidation can come in many forms -- basically anything bad-ass enough to strike fear into the heart of one's adversary. The whole William Tell, shoot-an-apple-off-my-head thing... that's pretty terrifying. Envision a ganger's reaction when you part his mohawk with a bullet. smile.gif

-S
ShadowDragon
I'm no gun expert, but I do have a bit of experience firing different types of firearms. There certainly is recoil in the first shot. The gunpowder in a bullet explodes while still in the chamber, which is what causes the kick. It happens quick, but it's slow enough to affect your aim. Take a shotgun for example: when you're shooting skeet, you're generally only going to need one shot (and with many shotguns you have no choice). Does that mean you can shoot at the hip? No, you still need to hold the stock against your shoulder or your shot is going to be way off because otherwise the recoil is going to throw you off balance. And even then, a 100 lb girl is going to have a tougher time than a 200 lb man.

Now game balance wise, I think the gun skills simulate this initial recoil well enough. I don't like the idea of penalizing characters for having low strength beyond having less goodies than someone with high strength. Characters SHOULD have a dump stat because stats are so expensive. I thought the idea behind this thread is to make strength more attractive so players will consider using a different stat as a dump stat, not force characters to have 3 strength or more.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
There certainly is recoil in the first shot. The gunpowder in a bullet explodes while still in the chamber, which is what causes the kick. It happens quick, but it's slow enough to affect your aim.

Theoretically as soon as the bullet and the propellant gases start traveling forward inside the gun there is some recoil force acting on the weapon itself. However, the timeframe within which such a force would have to screw up your aim to affect the accuracy of the first shot is measured in microseconds.

Let's assume a 5" barrel from which a projectile will exit at 1200fps, and that the projectile will undergo constant acceleration within the barrel. The average velocity of the bullet within the barrel is then 600fps, so it clears the muzzle in ~0.0007 seconds. Even ignoring that the propellant and the projectile are still contained within the weapon at this point and the effect this has on any mechanical work the weapon does on its surroundings (like the shooter), how far do you figure the force of the recoil will manage to shift the muzzle before the bullet is well out of it?

That's a rhetorical question, BTW.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Take a shotgun for example: when you're shooting skeet, you're generally only going to need one shot (and with many shotguns you have no choice). Does that mean you can shoot at the hip? No, you still need to hold the stock against your shoulder or your shot is going to be way off because otherwise the recoil is going to throw you off balance.

That's got nothing to do with recoil. With a long arm, even with no recoil whatsoever, firing from the shoulder with one hand on the grip and on on the fore end is the most accurate firing posture because it allows 3 points of contact to the weapon.
Lagomorph
In my (limited) shooting experience, the only reason recoil affects aim in a single shot is because the shooter is over compensating for the recoil before they actually shoot. Reactively pulling the gun down to counter the recoil before the recoil happen, and that would be from a lack of skill, not strength.
X-Kalibur
Well, to be fair I could see low str players getting penalized for firing Long Bursts or Full Auto, but certainly not SA or Short Burst.

As for strength being more attractive, lets face it, there are going to be situations where guns aren't available. Now what?
Dender
as my team's Troll with destructo-levels of strength, i have to say, i am for the built in RC, and for giving a penalty for having 1 str, i am for having rules on using a gun in one hand that really shouldn't be (a shotgun or a machine gun for instance), but i am against having melee weapons changed to str.

very opposed to that. Why? combat ax. for balance purposes, it makes melee combat ultra deadly and pushes my base damage to 15P. Sure, a troll with an ax should have a one shot kill most of the time if he hits, but thats enough to take down most materialized spirits when a mundane is the one doing the swinging.

I like the idea of making strength more useful, but regrettably, its never going to happen in my group. They already think its too powerful and want to nerf it. As if being a troll wasn't a penalty enough...

oh, and as an afterthought, changing armot limit to body + str is good too.
ShadowDragon8685
From my own experiance with shooting, I would also say that it is precompensation that affects the first shot's aim. When someone's been taught to aim properly but has never actually fired a live round before, their first shot is almost always right where they were pointing it.

The rest of learning to shoot is learning to properly compensate. ^_^
Llewelyn
How about also having jump test be STR + Gym instead of AGL + Gym? I have also thought about averaging STR and AGL for some skills though haven't really tried it out or given too much thought on which besides melee combat.

@Lilt I have always thought casting spells requires gesturing and thus are not able to be performed when subdued since they "cannot take any actions requiring physical movement."

Though to make STR more important I have just two words TROLL ARCHER. I mean doing 17DV (21DV with calling a shot) out to 900 meters, it is perfectly legal and there is nothing the GM can do about it! grinbig.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Llewelyn)
[...] there is nothing the GM can do about it! grinbig.gif

Other than saying "No."
ornot
I wouldn't have a problem with high levels of strength granting recoil compensation, but I think penalising low strength characters is a dubious concept.

A low strength character is already limited from firing large weapons by the weapon's weight. I'm sure that there are many weapon experts here who can quote the weight of an SMG or even a machine gun, but given that a character with strength 2 can only carry 20kg without incurring a penalty... well, you can see what I'm getting at.

Strength does come in handy in many situations, and if a group has noone with a strength above 3 they are going to be in trouble whenever those situations arise. The most obvious is of course melee combat, but they could also need to lift something heavy, such as a sewer grate. An example I have from a game I ran recently follows.

2 Street Sams had fought their way into a mob boss's compound, to restrict their pursuers they used their prodigious strength to shove a big chest freezer up against the door. If they hadn't both been pretty buff (with certain 'ware to help them) they wouldn't have been able to move it fast enough.
Butterblume
QUOTE (ornot)
I wouldn't have a problem with high levels of strength granting recoil compensation, but I think penalising low strength characters is a dubious concept.

I am with you on that. After all, why should low strength be punished this way. when all the other stats are not?

For example, I wouldn't give a char an extra penalty in social tests just because that chars happens to have low charisma, or an extra penalty on a toxin resistance roll because his body is low.

Changing melee damage to Str instead of Str/2 is a NO. This would really unbalance damage for chars with higher strength.
WhiskeyMac
But ornot the obvious cop-out to your situation is: "MAGIC"

Because the mage/shaman/spell-slinger just could have conjured up a "strong" spirit to do it "so much faster", which is what Lilt is getting at.

I think STR is important for more than just melee. I support the RC based off STR extra rule and carrying weights are a little hokey. I, personally, as a GM would not allow a single person with a 1 in any stat (no matter what), because each of them are useful in and of themselves.
stevebugge
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
I, personally, as a GM would not allow a single person with a 1 in any stat (no matter what), because each of them are useful in and of themselves.

I agree with this position, if you're going to have an extreme high or low stat it needs to be cleared with the GM and it needs to make sense in character. Further if you take a 1 in a stat you should get disadvantages fot doing so, I don't think handing out a penalty to someone with 1 Strength trying to fire an Ares Predator that represents 20-25% of his total carrying capacity is unreasonable (Ok at the low end the carrying capacities get a little silly).
Thanee
My recoil house rule:
Recoil compensation (p. 142) is increased by one for every 2 points of the firing character's Strength beyond 4. When holding a pistol- or SMG-class weapon with both hands, recoil compensation is increased by one for every 2 points of the firing character's Strength instead.

wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I don't think handing out a penalty to someone with 1 Strength trying to fire an Ares Predator that represents 20-25% of his total carrying capacity is unreasonable (Ok at the low end the carrying capacities get a little silly).

If the carrying capacity is that silly, then going out of your way to house rule additional penalties related to it is pretty unreasonable. I could only ever be considered STR 2 by ruling out STR 1 as "crippled" or "adolescent", and I never had trouble with a 1kg handgun or a 3.5kg assault rifle.

I would have been in trouble if I had to fire a very heavy weapon (in the 7+kg range) from the shoulder without support, especially at long ranges -- fortunately the FDF standard LMG can't really be fired like that. Otherwise, well, keep in mind that the #1 weapon of choice of child soldiers everywhere is the 4.3kg empty AK-47.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I don't think handing out a penalty to someone with 1 Strength trying to fire an Ares Predator that represents 20-25% of his total carrying capacity is unreasonable (Ok at the low end the carrying capacities get a little silly).

If the carrying capacity is that silly, then going out of your way to house rule additional penalties related to it is pretty unreasonable. I could only ever be considered STR 2 by ruling out STR 1 as "crippled" or "adolescent", and I never had trouble with a 1kg handgun or a 3.5kg assault rifle.

I would have been in trouble if I had to fire a very heavy weapon (in the 7+kg range) from the shoulder without support, especially at long ranges -- fortunately the FDF standard LMG can't really be fired like that. Otherwise, well, keep in mind that the #1 weapon of choice of child soldiers everywhere is the 4.3kg empty AK-47.

Ok I was using 2kg or 2.5kg for the Predator (which may be wrong that was from memory) and the carrying capacity rules which state that you can lift and carry STR x 10kg without requiring any lifting test (which means that a loaded AK would account for 50% of your carrying capacity!). My understanding is that Carrying Capacity is representative of your total load carrying ability (so add up clothes, accessories, a backpack etc) meaning that to have a strength of 1 (ie only able to carry a grand total of about 22 pounds) is a catagory that most healthy adults don't fit in.

It's a case of bad rules inconsistency because at the low end which is described as weak a Person could only carry 10kg. However Maximum Unaugmented Strength means being able to carry 60kg or roughly 135lbs. However for all the weirdness at the extremes 3-4 work pretty well 30-40kg (66-88llbs) because the typical to slightly above average person probably could throw on a pack with 50-60lbs and go hiking. Carrying capacity also completely fails to account for load distribution, but that's a whole new subject.

However putting all those issues aside 10kg x Strength is the way the game was designed and given those parameters a 1 Strength character should in my opinion have more difficulty handling a 1-2kg Pistol than a 2 Strength character and the 1 Strength character may not be even able to use an assault rifle. My issue isn't so much the realism as it is the fact that I disapprove of dumpstats and I think that there should be consequences for building extremely min-maxed characters.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Ok I was using 2kg or 2.5kg for the Predator (which may be wrong that was from memory)

Yeah, it weighed something like that according the books. That, too, is unreasonable. smile.gif

QUOTE (stevebugge)
However putting all those issues aside 10kg x Strength is the way the game was designed and given those parameters a 1 Strength character should in my opinion have more difficulty handling a 1-2kg Pistol than a 2 Strength character and the 1 Strength character may not be even able to use an assault rifle. My issue isn't so much the realism as it is the fact that I disapprove of dumpstats and I think that there should be consequences for building extremely min-maxed characters.

If you aren't looking for realism, then saying this is kinda pointles... but "STR 1" people can definitely fire most assault rifles and handguns just fine in the real world. If you can hold 2lbs relatively steady 2 feet in front of you, you won't have trouble with most long arms.

With firearms as heavy as those described in canon SR3 there might be trouble. Fortunately, as a general rule, people don't make guns that stupid. Like I said, though, I would've had trouble firing particularly heavy weapons from the shoulder without support, and I'm not going to say a STR 2 guy should realistically be able to fire a 15kg machine gun from the shoulder with perfect accuracy, but I really feel that sort of thing shouldn't need any specific rules.
Shrike30
One of the fastest ways to show people why you shouldn't dump strength is to have them try to drag an unconcious teammate or move a large object. Admittedly, summoners can get around this, but even with them present, you can get around this (for example, there could be astral surveilance looking for bigass spirits... summoning one to carry something would draw fire).
Lilt
QUOTE (Llewelyn)
@Lilt I have always thought casting spells requires gesturing and thus are not able to be performed when subdued since they "cannot take any actions requiring physical movement."

QUOTE (P171)
SORCERY
Sorcery is the art of shaping mana to create specific
magical effects. It can be used to cast spells (Spellcasting and
Ritual Spellcasting) as well as to protect against or eliminate
them (Counterspelling). Different traditions teach wildly
different philosophies and methods of interacting with
magical forces. Regardless of these differences, however, a
magician doesn’t have to do anything other than concentrate
in order to cast a spell. All the chanting, gestures, dancing
and other things are just window-dressing.
All traditions
cast spells using the same rules.
The same was true in previous editions, although there were options to take geasa to offset magic loss and similar which I'm sure will come back in Street Magic. One of these was 'gesture', whereby mages would need to gesture to cast spells at full power. If the geas was broken mages could still use magic, albeit at a higher TN, so mages have never really needed to gesture in shadowrun.

@ornot: Strength can be used to overcome obstacles, but many characters don't need personal strength. IE: I can dump strength, but still rely on summoned spirits or levitate spells to overcome obstacles through 'strength'. A well-stocked, large, chest freezer would probably weigh 400KG or so and have an OR of 3. That's based on this big-looking freezer here. Casting levitate to move it would require a threashold of 6, thus a force 6 spell with DV 4. A good mage with the levitate spell (fairly common from my experience) could thus probably cast the spell, given a coupple of attempts, and take the drain on average. Once the spell is cast, however, moving the freezer should be much faster. That's only one character, and if there's a strong sammie around too (or two mages) then a mid-force earth spirit (or two) should be able to move it as well as the sammies.

@Shrike30: That situation strikes me as being somewhat contrived. Why would dragging the downed teammate out anyway draw less fire? If the answer is that the fire is purely astral then a levitate spell should suffice and couldn't be stopped from the astral alone.

The only situation I can think of where personal strength is needed more than anything else is if someone demands an arm-wrestle with the character in a social situation. I've never seen such a situation arise, however, and probably won't spring it on my current party who have an uber-strong troll (str 11?). Even then, I suspect any roll would be strength+body rather than pure strength.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
If you aren't looking for realism, then saying this is kinda pointles... but "STR 1" people can definitely fire most assault rifles and handguns just fine in the real world. If you can hold 2lbs relatively steady 2 feet in front of you, you won't have trouble with most long arms.

With firearms as heavy as those described in canon SR3 there might be trouble. Fortunately, as a general rule, people don't make guns that stupid. Like I said, though, I would've had trouble firing particularly heavy weapons from the shoulder without support, and I'm not going to say a STR 2 guy should realistically be able to fire a 15kg machine gun from the shoulder with perfect accuracy, but I really feel that sort of thing shouldn't need any specific rules.

Yeah I agree that in reality the average guy probably wouldn't have much difficulty with an M-16. I would imagine that most weapons procured by an army (US or or foreign) probably are looking for effective firepower in a lightweight frame that's easy to use (which pretty much describes none of the canon cannons). Most of the sport rifles I've fired (mostly .22) didn't require much strength to handle at all (and for tha matter probably weighed less than the canon predator). I won't go so far as to say I don't care about realism but I'm probably more willing than most around here to give some up for game playability or or balance. Still good to know about the reality of firearms though, for personal edification if nothing else.
Shrike30
*shrug* If your group is hiding somewhere downrange and trying to carry a wounded/unconcious teammate with them, they might be trying to hide. Whipping up a force 6 spirit to help them carry their too-heavy sammie teammate is a real good way for the opposition's mage to mark their position on AR and have his teammates start launching grenades at it.
Lilt
That is a forseeable circumstance, but summoning a low-force spirit should still pass unnoticed.
[ Spoiler ]
Domino
QUOTE (Geekkake)

So kill the weak and Might makes Right?

Great plan.

Next you can make the Sammies fight just magical threats. ohplease.gif
Llewelyn
QUOTE (Lilt)
The same was true in previous editions, although there were options to take geasa to offset magic loss and similar which I'm sure will come back in Street Magic. One of these was 'gesture', whereby mages would need to gesture to cast spells at full power. If the geas was broken mages could still use magic, albeit at a higher TN, so mages have never really needed to gesture in shadowrun.

I never really played SR before SR4 I was basing that off the noticing magic on page 168. I don't know that I like magic just being only concentration, but that is more a personal thing as I like there to be a ways to spot and then to restrain a mage with out knocking out or killing them.

As a side note it doesn't seem that a mage would be able to use a touch spell unless he breaks free of subduing since the act of touching requires a melee attack. He could then still drop a mana ball on his position and hope his grappler doesn't have any counter spelling available.
Llewelyn
QUOTE (Domino)
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Jul 13 2006, 12:07 PM)

So kill the weak and Might makes Right?

Great plan.

Next you can make the Sammies fight just magical threats. ohplease.gif

I was thinking more of balancing adventures/runs so that people have to be flexable and not completely specialized. Making a low str person have to run and there by make str checks doesn't seem too bad to me, it is after all something that they could have points in unlike a Sammy with magical threats.
Demon_Bob
Trouble is that 400BP isn't really that much.

If a player wants his character to be an expert in his field then he must spend several points for it. These points must come from areas that are less important to the character's concept and resposibilities.

Putting such an emphasis on Str penalizes everyone who plays a character whose '
Str is less important to his job, such as a Hacker.

Making players roll for fatigue if they have been running is fine, but as a Player I need to know why I have to run instead of attempting to sneak up, or casually walk up and bluff an guards into believing that I should be there.

If encumberance rules are to be used then it would be useful to have some weights listed for the equipment. seam of them I can look up and figure out, but others I really have no Idea. Ex: How much does a Tool Kit weigh? How big is it? The one I have at work I move with wheels.
Dender
QUOTE (Llewelyn)
How about also having jump test be STR + Gym instead of AGL + Gym? I have also thought about averaging STR and AGL for some skills though haven't really tried it out or given too much thought on which besides melee combat.

Though to make STR more important I have just two words TROLL ARCHER. I mean doing 17DV (21DV with calling a shot) out to 900 meters, it is perfectly legal and there is nothing the GM can do about it! grinbig.gif

oddly, the troll i play uses a bow, at my GM's recommendation. then after i told him that i do more damage with a single (javelin sized) arrow than an assault cannon, he capped damage at 8. then at 6. I still haven't actually USED it.

he's pretty much implied i won't be getting anything better weapon wise. And that is the GM's peroggative. And for the record, i don't actually approve of maxing out damage like that. When you make something like that, theres only one thing that character can do, and they'll be able to out perform everyone in the party by a disgusitng amount.

21P is equivilent to 9 kilos of rating 7 commercial explosives. At that point, you're using a arbalest or a ballista with pinpoint precision. Don't complain when "you take 2P of fire damage which you can easily resist, and oh yea, your bowstring snaps." slips from your gm's lips.

as for gymnastics: try not to get things too complicated. The logical conclusion would be "well, since it requires coorination, timing, agility, power and precision, you would average these 4-5 stats and add it to the skill". Gymnastics works off agility. Running works off strength. Its a fair trade.
ornot
My example wasn't supposed to supply a situation where strength trumps all else, merely one where it is useful. There ought to be multiple ways of solving a problem anyway. In the example I gave there was no spell slinger about and in fact I didn't put the freezer there to be used as a barricade. There happened to be a big freezer as they had entered via a storage room behind a kitchen and the decision to barricade the door with it was their own.

Frankly saying strength is useless 'cos a magician can always summon a spirit to do heavy lifting is like saying guns are useless cos a magician can always sling a combat spell. It doesn't help out non-magic types much.
Lilt
QUOTE (Llewelyn)
I never really played SR before SR4 I was basing that off the noticing magic on page 168. I don't know that I like magic just being only concentration, but that is more a personal thing as I like there to be a ways to spot and then to restrain a mage with out knocking out or killing them.
Well, spotting is still possible even if they don't need to gesture. They can vary it from spell to spell, and if they don't gesture then they'll make-up for it in different ways, like chanting. if they choose not to gesture or chant, then they may just sit there looking constipated, grunting, and convulsing. Regardless, only concentration is needed to cast the spell but the spell as as easy or hard to notice as the noticing magic rules say it is.

Sadly, I don't think any mundane forces will ever be able to restrain a mage without knocking out or killing them. Even if the mage did need to gesture, he could still astrally project and summon a spirit to free him.

In 3rd edition MitS added the Magemask, a hood specifically designed to restrain spellcasters. Not only did it block LOS, I think it also had a high OR (it was hard to destroy with a powerbolt), and a white noise generator which gave +6 on magical TNs (probably -6 to magical dice pools under 4th edition) and meant that casters had to make a fairly tough willpower test to project. That was good, especially with the fact that casters couldn't summon when projecting in 3rd edition, but unless you had some form of awakened support then the mage could just project (most mages could do the will test given a coupple of attempts) and get help from friends.
QUOTE (Llewelyn)
As a side note it doesn't seem that a mage would be able to use a touch spell unless he breaks free of subduing since the act of touching requires a melee attack. He could then still drop a mana ball on his position and hope his grappler doesn't have any counter spelling available.
You only need to make a melee attack if you need to touch an unwilling target. Cuddles the troll is most willing to touch you, in-fact that's part of the problem.

In any case, if the GM chooses that interpretation then the caster can still Mannabolt or Control Thoughts his assailant as long as he can see them. If he can't see his assailant then he can summon something.

Grapples are a fairly good way to take-out weak non-mage characters, however. They're one of the very few ways (bows are the other one) that damage can be based on strength rather than strength/2. Still, shock frills are a good way to defend against grapples, so any potential grapplers should really grab armor with the Nonconductivity modification.

@Dender: There's a troll with a bow in my game, but he's not used it yet. This is largely because it's too hard to transport stealthily. It is, after-all, probably somewhere between 8 and 10 feet long. That's easily less concealable than a sniper rifle, the ammunition is more expencive than sniper rifle ammo, and sniper rifles can choose to use more powerful ammunition if they wish to (such-as AV, EX-E, Flechette), the skill to use sniper-rifles is more versatile (it covers some full-auto and burst-fire weapons too, plus shotguns which allow for the use of the spread rules), and sniper rifles don't require a huge strength to use (how many BP/nuyen.gif did you spend boosting strength?). Perhaps point some of these factors out to your GM if you want him to change his tune.
Lilt
QUOTE (ornot)
My example wasn't supposed to supply a situation where strength trumps all else, merely one where it is useful. There ought to be multiple ways of solving a problem anyway. In the example I gave there was no spell slinger about and in fact I didn't put the freezer there to be used as a barricade. There happened to be a big freezer as they had entered via a storage room behind a kitchen and the decision to barricade the door with it was their own.

Frankly saying strength is useless 'cos a magician can always summon a spirit to do heavy lifting is like saying guns are useless cos a magician can always sling a combat spell. It doesn't help out non-magic types much.

And my counter-example was to show that the DM can throw very few situations at a party that require strength. The same could also be said about guns, no situations require them. I don't think that anyone would complain if a party was made without guns, making them 'dump-equipment' if you will, but as it stands strength is a fairly common dump-stat and some people don't like that by concept.
ornot
I'm pretty certain you don't need to see a subject you can touch. I'll try and find you a page reference, but I don't have my RAW with me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012