Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not getting caught
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Smokeskin
It's not necessarily about immediate capture - if any authority has your biometric data pointing to an adress they can pick you up at, you're hosed anyway.

But getting links to previous crimes that's the problem. Imagine the lowly B&E detective getting this call from the crime lab "About that chip prototype theft at OptoCrafters? The clean room air filter isn't supposed to really have anything in it, being a clean room and all, so I analyzed the bit of dust in there and got some DNA from it. Turns out it it's the same guy from the 34th Street hostage situation last year where we lost 2 guys from SWAT. I've already been contacted by 2 detectives from homicide." And now Lone Star is turning up the heat on every snitch in town about who is interested in prototype optical chips these days.

I'm not asking what the runners like. They'll probably say they like getting new toys and better stats, and they really wished they didn't have to bother with legwork.

But the fact is that they won't enjoy themselves unless they overcome challenges. They love their guns, take them away and see how they handle themselves, they'll probably enjoy it - afterwards.

Having their past catch up to them once in a while is also interesting, forensics is a great way to make that happen. If they suddenly, in the middle of another run, Lone Star tries to arrest them for something they did months ago (or puts on a surveillance), and they have to hide while still completing the run and figuring out why Lone Star is after them and getting that to go away somehow - it will be interesting, and give them a sense that their actions matter.

If they get the feeling that "damn, I can't believe we're never getting caught" (like the OP) they'll lose immersion. Instead, making getting caught a real risk will make runs more exciting. Having them use all sorts of countermeasures (even though they will hardly get mentioned on most runs) will get both more realism and make the players feel like pros.

Think HEAT, think Enemy of the State (how cool is it to just blow up your safehouse the instant you find it compromised?)

Try to keep NPCs around them that aren't as pro, to make the players feel that way. Let rumours circulate about other teams getting caught by the law, maybe even one of their contacts.

I just got an idea about getting a Lone Star detective on their back, like in HEAT, meeting with him from time to time in one of those veiled threat dinners, "you know, you'll mess up one day and I'll get something solid on you". Would be great fun. Should probably start with him getting some solid proof on them that he acquired illegally, so he'll lose his career if he goes public with it, but it'll work as life insurance. Maybe it's even the source of his bitterness, that he knows and has proof but he's not man enough to value justice over his own career, something that contradicts his understanding of himself.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Witness)
I don't know if you've noticed but most shops like to make a big deal about prosecuting shoplifters, even if the cost of the goods was tiny. The reason being that they don't want to look like chumps who are ripe for the robbing. And if you're an exec you may (desperately) want to prove to bosses or shareholders that you can make good after you messed up. For a SR corporation cost and inconvenience are nothing when weighed against pride and reputation, IMO.

That's a good point. Also, you don't want all competing corps going "we need to steal some research to get ahead on the market, lets go for Shiawase, we can get some runners cheap because they never try to track intruders down".

Also, Lone Star doesn't cost the corp anything except the time spent talking to them, and they can be discrete.
nezumi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
Also, Lone Star doesn't cost the corp anything except the time spent talking to them, and they can be discrete.

You clearly don't run Lone Star like I do. In my game, Lone Star only costs cash if you actually want them to do something after the interview.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (nezumi)
You clearly don't run Lone Star like I do. In my game, Lone Star only costs cash if you actually want them to do something after the interview.

You have Lone Star cost cash? They're contracted by the city to do all the law enforcement work, at no cost to citizens or businesses except the taxes they pay.
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (Smokeskin)

You have Lone Star cost cash? They're contracted by the city to do all the law enforcement work, at no cost to citizens or businesses except the taxes they pay.

Well, since most corps hire out their own security, and are responsible for their own coverage...I could easily see Lone Star adding a surcharge for "Territory Zone Change" whenever they have to enter one of the Megacorps territories.
nezumi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 2 2006, 11:00 AM)
You clearly don't run Lone Star like I do.  In my game, Lone Star only costs cash if you actually want them to do something after the interview.

Lone Star is contracted to keep crime at a reasonable level in areas populated by tax payers. If given the choice between prosecuting two vehicular manslaughters by Joe Smiths who were driving while talking on the cell phone and got into accidents, or one homicide second done by a professional who has gone through great pains to cover his tracks, the Star will choose the former. It's cheaper, looks better for statistics, and impacts more people (since the latter is more likely to be covered up and therefore won't have any publicity).

So the Star will come in, look around long enough to realize the perp won't immediately present himself, make a show of doing an investigation, and head home. If they're feeling especially productive, they'll collar some dumb ork down in Pullyup and pin the crime on him.

Now if the corp mentions they'll be helping the investigation through investing say $100,000, the officer in question will probably do a DNA scan and make a reasonable attempt to collar a person of at least the same race. Alternatively, if the case is all over the news, the Star will actually get the guys with the "CSI" jackets in and do the whole astral tracking thing.
Smokeskin
We're pretty much agreed here - Lone Star is a corporation, they want results from their employees, not lots of man hours wasted on cracking hard cases.

Of course, you can always be unlucky and have your crime picked out to be a case story for the upcoming annual report, showing how Lone Star teams of mages and techs can crack even the most impossible case wink.gif
Charon
I'm with nezumi on this.

I usually run Lone Star like that too. They are in it to make money. I usually tell my players Lone Star will use full ressources to track them down only if they are splashing all over the news and making the Star look bad.

The corp isn't so much interested in arresting criminals as they are interested in not losing their contract for law enforcement in the city to a competitor while still turning as big a profit as possible.

If you are so thorough in your crime hunting that Seattle is 100% satisfied with your services but you end up losing 100 millions at the end of the year, you are running a stupid business. Lone Star presumably won the contract by bidding to offer law enforcement services for a lower cost than the competition. Now they must deliver a satisfactory service but not have costs in excess to what they're paid to provide the service.

Logically, Lone Star would focus their ressources on keeping crime down in the community that matters and having a reasonable success rate of resolving crimes that make their way into the news, especially those that shock the voters. The rest? That's where you cut your effort in order to increase the bottom line.
kigmatzomat
One thing runners should avoid is repeat hits on the same entity. It is ultimately unavoidable but the trick is to do it so rarely that their awareness of you never breaks the background noise. I'm confident that all the forensics data is uploaded into servers and each event is compared to past break-ins looking for similarities in methodology, equipment, targets, and personnel.

But those servers are private to each entity; Fuchi doesn't share with Ares and no one shares with the Azzies. So by limiting how often you touch those entities, you cut down your exposure.

technical tricks:

use chem-seal armor. If it keeps out bioweapons, it will keep in your DNA.

Keep nanopaste disguises on hand and lots of light nylon windbreakers of different colors. If you're really good, the windbreakers will have inflatable bladders to mimic different body styles. (needs the Disguise skill at that point, though) The camera data becomes much lower in value if you can change who you are between exposure points.
-Bonus points for using a disguise to look like another runner or an inside person.

Get the forensics skill and leave bogus data. False leads will increase your lead time. Beware of being caught by repeat methodology, though.

Be an utterly evil person and blatantly spread a bioweapon behind you. Even if you leave DNA, the corp will likely be forced to kill everything via radiation or chemicals rather than take the risk of spreading the disease. You are, however, immediately chucked into the "psychotic" category and the use of the bioweapon may be shared with other entities.
Adarael
For the next time I run a SR game that's 'high-level':

Get your runners outfitted with blood-change valves, along the lines of what current day heavy-duty dialysis patients sometimes get.
Before every run, have your friendly neighborhood streetdoc cycle your blood with Oxygenated Fluorocarbons that have air/light activated carcerands in them. Make the carcerands contain ammonia.

That way, when you get shot, you don't leak blood - and the carcerands should take care of whatever white blood cell/platelet DNA is left behind in the Fluorocarbon splatter.
Witness
You might not leak blood, but I doubt you'd stop leaking everything else without real blood and its healing properties.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Witness @ Aug 2 2006, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Cardul)
All, in all...the reason the Corps don't go actively hunting Shadowrunners is not that it is difficult to track down the runners..but instead that it is inconvenient and costly to track them down, so they generally choose not to.

I don't know if you've noticed but most shops like to make a big deal about prosecuting shoplifters, even if the cost of the goods was tiny. The reason being that they don't want to look like chumps who are ripe for the robbing.

They prosecute shoplifters who are caught. They don't send armed mercenaries out the ventilate the shoplifters who got away. Its not like these big modern department stores can't afford death-squads. They most certainly can. But, they cannot afford to assign a death-squad to every one of their facilities.

And then there is the fiasco that happens when the woman you kill on suspicion of stuffing a basketball under her shirt turns out to just be pregnant.
James McMurray
Not their problem, or did you miss the "This store not responsible for dead pregnant ladies, enter at your own risk" sign?
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 2 2006, 05:59 PM)
And then there is the fiasco that happens when the woman you kill on suspicion of stuffing a backetball under her shirt turns out to just be pregnant.

Sigged for truth and absolute hilarity.
Cardul
QUOTE (Witness)

I don't know if you've noticed but most shops like to make a big deal about prosecuting shoplifters, even if the cost of the goods was tiny. The reason being that they don't want to look like chumps who are ripe for the robbing. And if you're an exec you may (desperately) want to prove to bosses or shareholders that you can make good after you messed up. For a SR corporation cost and inconvenience are nothing when weighed against pride and reputation, IMO.

Actually, from the novels, that is exactly why the Corps do not try to track down Runners after a drop...I am sure when Runners first came into being, the Corps DID try and prosecute them..but eventually, just got tired of the resources that were getting bogged down, and started letting them go.

Also, ADMITTING that runners got in and stole something or someone would hurt their reputation. Who outside the corp would know of someone making a break in into any facility other then an arcology? Keeping things quiet and discrete is SOP for the Corps and for good runners.

Besides: The death benefits the corps would have to pay the families of the people who get killed going after the runners would be so high that it REALLY is not worth it...and THAT would make things more public...which the Corps do NOT want..so...why would they go after runners full force every time?
Witness
QUOTE (Cardul @ Aug 2 2006, 07:24 PM)
Also, ADMITTING that runners got in and stole something or someone would hurt their reputation. Who outside the corp would know of someone making a break in into any facility other then an arcology? Keeping things quiet and discrete is SOP for the Corps and for good runners.

The runners who got away would know, and their Johnson would know, and sooner or later all of the shadows would hear the rumours. The exec who dropped the ball and let the runners win would know, and sooner or later his bosses would know.

Some corps might actively let some runners go in some circumstances, but that's certainly not my rule of thumb.

EDIT: And as for paying out death benefits, well they should have thought about that before they went all extraterritorial and started hiring their own gun-toting personal armies. wink.gif
Charon
QUOTE (Witness)
The runners who got away would know, and their Johnson would know, and sooner or later all of the shadows would hear the rumours. The exec who dropped the ball and let the runners win would know, and sooner or later his bosses would know.

Some corps might actively let some runners go in some circumstances, but that's certainly not my rule of thumb.

You know, banks let slide most fraud for exactly the reasons mentionned earlier. They don't want to appear weak.

It's not rare that when an employee is found embezzling some funds he'll just be fired and told : Don't ask for reference.

Note how whenever a bank fraud ends up in the news, it's 99% because it started with a customer calling the cops. If it can be buried, it usually is.

Banks don't want to be seen as vulnerable, as a rule of thumb.

No, I'm not talking SR here. RL. So I figure a lot of the same rational would apply to corp. No need making a big deal out of tracking runner and appear vulnerable if there is nothing left to be gained by capturing the runner except for salvaging some pride.

Takes a special reason to track runner days after the run. Oh, I can come up with quite a few. But the typical run wouldn't qualify.
nezumi
Also look at computer security. It's speculated that less than about 30% of all computer security incidents in the private sector are actually reported, even when the company is being actively extorted. Bad PR drives away investors, and it's ALL about the investors. I imagine Ares would much rather lose a prototype that will make $1M than $5M in investors' money (especially when they don't think the prototype will actually be sold). Even if the prototype is worth $10M, Ares will pursue it quietly, on their own, likely using shadow assets to do so. They won't break out the big guns unless it's already public they've been stolen from, or it's a serious load of cash they risk losing.

(And I doubt Ares cares a lot about their reputation among the shadow community, as so few of their investors live in the barrens. They only want the shadow community to know that they aren't an especially easy target, which can be served how it is now - sentry guns, guards, all the security we already set up. No reason to hunt people down, because that stuff is expensive and it's forgotten tomorrow.)
Smokeskin
Data theft are reported a lot more often than not these days. It just isn't embarassing or strange anymore to suffer from it - everyone realizes it doesn't mean you have crap security, just like someone stealing from your warehouse doesn't mean your company can't be trusted. Those data crimes not reported are mostly own employees stealing from the company, which is often settled without the police. It is difficult to prove and if the company loses it also auto-loses a lawsuit for an unlawful firing - much better for all parties if the employee agrees to quit. Hackers breaking in, generally they don't get any breaks.

If a prototype was stolen, all of the people working on it would know, which means it would probably leak in corp circles too.

If the project manager didn't inform his boss about the theft, he'd get fired if the boss found out, and this goes on until we hit the CEO. If the CEO didn't tell the board, they'd fire him. And the board is hired by the stockholders, who would fire the board if they found out they hadn't been informed of it. Probably there's going to be jailtime involved too.

Then there's the fact that investors value correct information greatly. If Ares got into the habit of covering up their mistakes, investors would stay away from their stock, costing them a lot more in the long wrong. If you lose credilibility, your stock plummets. Investors accept the risk of losing money because the corp they bought stock in makes a mistake. They don't accept the risk of investing in a corporation that really is worth much less because their research was stolen last month and they just covered it up.

Also for that exact reason, companies with stock on the exchange are required to give regular reports of their company status, and in general announce events that have major impacts on their value. I don't know what the penalties are for not doing this, but I'm guessing jail for the CEO, and possibly board members, and massive fines.

Some of this might not apply in the world of 2070, but other stuff certainly will. And it doesn't fly that the corps have their own law, so what do they care what anyone thinks? They need the exhanges to trade their stock, they need their stock to remain high, and the real kicker: when corps cover something up, they're not just cheating everyone else, they're cheating the very owners of the corp. Sure some guy in the command line may decide that it's his ass on the line and so try to cover it up, but it certainly isn't corp policy and he'll be prosecuted, probably by the corp's own draconian laws, if it is ever found out.
Witness
Obviously at some point somebody in the corp decides 'Ok let's give it up. We've lost'- probably shortly after executing or imprisoning the lower-ranking exec who screwed up.

But I still don't think they'd give up and roll over immediately (as a rule). Somebody (probably the exec who screwed up and doesn't want to be executed or imprisoned) will probably try very hard to pursue the runners and the missing target.

After all, if something was worth hiring runners to steal then it's worth hiring people to get it back.
Moon-Hawk
Oh sure, the runners will be persued while they still had whatever it is they stole. They have to be real careful and lie low until they make their meet with their Johnson. But it's the Johnson that the company is mad at, not the runners. If one crime boss whacks another, you don't get mad at the gun he used, and you don't try to get rid of guns, either, you get back at the other boss. (in this example, the runners are the guns)
Now certainly, the corp would want to capture the runners to interrogate them about Mr. Johnson's identity, which is one of the main reasons the Johnson protects their identity. It protects the runners as much as it does him, and it's vital to the shadowrunning system (which, in general, the corps want).
nezumi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
Data theft are reported a lot more often than not these days.

Clearly you don't read the FBI computer security surveys. I haven't checked this year, but I believe last year they expected 60+% of all data theft is unreported. Huh, speaking of which, I got another invitation to the CSI conference. Lemme see if that links to the FBI's latest survey...

Here we go.
QUOTE (FBI CSI survey)

The percentage of organizations reporting computer intrusions to law enforcement has reversed its multi-year decline, standing at 25% as compared with 20% in the previous two years.  However, negative publicity from reporting intrusions to law enforcement is still a major concern for most organizations.

48% of respondents indicated negative publicity would hurt stock/image
36% said competitors would use the information to their advantage

It is worth commenting that participation in the survey was voluntary, so we can safely assume companies that didn't want to report incidents to law enforcement before, did not want to partake in the FBI's survey (this is an ongoing criticism of the survey in question). As a result, we can say with some degree of confidence that in excess of 75% of all computer security incidents are NOT reported to law enforcement.

If the project manager didn't inform his boss about the theft, he'd get fired if the boss found out, and this goes on until we hit the CEO. If the CEO didn't tell the board, they'd fire him. And the board is hired by the stockholders, who would fire the board if they found out they hadn't been informed of it. Probably there's going to be jailtime involved too.

The news will travel up the grapevine a few levels, until it reaches someone with enough authority to say "handle it quietly". Then it travels back down. Shareholders never find out, so there's no drop in stock. If news gets out, Ares can deny it because the fact the prototype existed in the first place probably was not public news, or if it was, it wasn't concise enough to pin down what exactly the prototype looked like. Stockholders rarely have any idea what the company they invest in is actually producing, they just know its monthly revenue. Investors don't care a whit if the company they invest in is stolen from regularly or not. They care that revenue continues to go up. If investors were actually as intelligent and discerning as you seem to think they are, we'd never have had the dot com crash.

Smokeskin
Obviously (and surprisingly) US businesses feel differently about data crimes than Danish ones.

Private investors aren't that smart. The smart guys are the professional investors and the analysts. If they decide you're crap, your stock will fall, and a lot of private investors will follow. The other way around (like happened before the dot com crash), the professionals drive the stock artificially up, then get out before the stock falls. A lot of people made a lot of money on the dot com crash.

Remember Enron? Did coverups work for them? Why do you think everyone is so keen on proving how good they are at corporate governance these days? Credibility is widely recognized as one of the most important traits for keeping up your stock value. Even revenue isn't very useful if the investors don't trust what you're saying about what will happen next year.

And the theft of a prototype isn't just an image event. It means that a lot of research funds suddenly won't give you an edge on the market because a competitor now also has it.

nezumi
Most "professional investors" aren't going to hear about illegal activity if it's well covered up. Enron was a scandal only because people found out about it. Before the trials, Enron was doing very, very well on the market. How many corporations do you think got away with the same thing and never got found out? Why are corporations cleaning up their acts? Because of new government laws requiring them to do so, and to avoid PR fallout. That's it. They'll do exactly as much as is required to look nice and tidy, then it's back to making profit.

And the theft of a prototype isn't just an image event. It means that a lot of research funds suddenly won't give you an edge on the market because a competitor now also has it.

Depends on the details of the situation. Regardless, if Renraku now has the Ares prototype, there is nothing Ares can do about it except try to push their product out first, before Renraku has the time to reverse engineer it. Alternatively, Ares can send out shadow resources to retrieve it. What else are they going to do? Publicly say "Renraku stole our prototype and we're looking for it?" Then everyone invests in Renraku (or in both, to hedge their bets). They can't take Renraku to corporate court, they have no grounds for it since they can't prove Renraku has it. They can't directly use their forces against Renraku for the same reason. Squashing the runners after the delivery is a red herring, so there's no benefit there.

Once the runners have dropped off the prototype, Ares best course of action is to release the product first. That's really the only alternative open to them. Sure, some low level people, mostly security guards, will get canned or moved around, but anything else is a waste of time. There is absolutely no benefit to letting the information go public.

Shrike30
QUOTE (Adarael)
Before every run, have your friendly neighborhood streetdoc cycle your blood with Oxygenated Fluorocarbons that have air/light activated carcerands in them. Make the carcerands contain ammonia.

That way, when you get shot, you don't leak blood - and the carcerands should take care of whatever white blood cell/platelet DNA is left behind in the Fluorocarbon splatter.

I have this vivid image of a runner catching a stray round in a gunfight, and dying of ammonia toxicity as the ruptured cells from the temporary cavitation dump a bunch of it straight into his bloodstream.
Charon
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 3 2006, 02:58 PM)
Remember Enron? Did coverups work for them?

Yes. Without coverup they'd have had a quiet bankruptcy a decade before they did.

Enron was never 'found out'. It crashed because it could no longer keep up the pretense that it was rolling in gold when in truth it had been leaking red all over the place for over ten years and the only division that kept them afloat was using criminal activities to bring in the cash (The futures trading on California energy market). It self desructed, it wasn't brought down by savvy investigator and analysts. The company simply wasn't making any money and none of these pros could even figure that most basic of fact before it was far too late.

That was one whopping failure on the part of your 'Professional' investors. By the time they figured out the boat was sinking, there was water in the captain's cabin and sharks eating the passengers.

These days, we're trying to improve the situation by forcing more disclosure, and if anything the US is at the vanguard with more severe laws than most any other countries. But in the SR context, the situation would revert back to the wild 90s and 80s and then become even worse. With Extraterritoriality and various free havens it would be hard as hell to get any significant disclosure in the dystopian SR world.

PS : I'm surprised you insist things are that different in Europe. There a lot of very ancient and proud institutions over there that would rather swallow cyanid than publicly admit they've been had.

Try making a Swiss Bank admit they've been defrauded, just for fun. Perhaps the Dane are a rare breed but still...
Adarael
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Aug 2 2006, 03:38 PM)

I have this vivid image of a runner catching a stray round in a gunfight, and dying of ammonia toxicity as the ruptured cells from the temporary cavitation dump a bunch of it straight into his bloodstream.

Well, nobody said non-detection was without risks, neh? I mean, look at the Pain Editor, the Adrenal Pump, and many other pieces of ware. Gearing yourself up does have drawbacks. Shit, oxygenated fluorocarbons by themselves drastically increase the chance of your runner having a sudden bubble embolism.

You might not leak blood, but I doubt you'd stop leaking everything else without real blood and its healing properties.

By the rules, this isn't the case. They don't explain why you can still heal when you have oxygenated fluorocarbons instead of blood, but my assumption has always been the OF replaces the red blood cells, while white blood cells, platelets, macrophages, et cetera continue to be produced and work as normal.
Brahm
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Aug 2 2006, 03:38 PM)

It kinda reminds me of the Underworld movie. The first one with the liquid UV light slugs. wobble.gif
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Charon @ Aug 3 2006, 11:13 PM)
Enron was never 'found out'.  It crashed because it could no longer keep up the pretense that it was rolling in gold when in truth it had been leaking red all over the place for over ten years and the only division that kept them afloat was using criminal activities to bring in the cash (The futures trading on California energy market).  It self desructed, it wasn't brought down by savvy investigator and analysts.  The company simply wasn't making any money and none of these pros could even figure that most basic of fact before it was far too late.

That was one whopping failure on the part of your 'Professional' investors.  By the time they figured out the boat was sinking, there was water in the captain's cabin and sharks eating the passengers.

You're getting the owners confused with the employees. The employees (like the CEO) might want to hide the fact that they're not doing a good job. So they'll keep on cashing their fat pay check for a decade while running the company to the ground.

The owners do very explicitly not want that. The want the CEO to come clean when it starts going wrong, and either correct it or the owners can find a new CEO who can make sure that they won't get hit by a bankruptcy dropping their stock value to zero.

And you can be sure that given extraterritoriality, the owners will make sure that if someone is covering things up and keeping them in the dark, they'll have laws that punish them at least as severely than what happened to the Enron CEOs.

The same mechanism works for potential owners. If they think there's a big risk they're being tricked into buying their shares too expensively, they'll just stay away. If you lose credibility, a lot of people will not want to buy or own the stock.

First off, a corp who is dependant on developing their products repeatedly loses a significant amount of their research or whatever to shadowrunners will be dead anyway. It will never get any edge over the competition, so it'll sink whether or not anyone finds out about it.

Second, when the corporation releases a press statement saying "the status of our research projects are good and we'll really cash in out it next year", and investors think that for all they know about the corporation's credibility, the research might as well have been stolen or botched already, then they won't buy the stock. A corporation that is credible on the other will be able to increase their stock value alone on the market's expectation of future profits through research. Of course there's a risk of the research going wrong still - probably shadowrunners are the smallest risk, more often research projects fail because their new painkiller causes cancer in rats or that new techno-gizmo is really smart but it can't be produced at a competitive cost or something like that.

Of course coverups happen, but it is almost never company policy, because it usually hurts the company more in the long run. Individuals covering their own butt is another case, but a lot of this stuff can't be covered up in any meaningful way and a smart suit will know that it'll just hit him worse at a later date. A lot of suits think they can walk on water of course and recover the lost ground before it catches up to them.

Corporations will probably rutinely try to cover up things that are only image-related and/or only will cost something if found out, like their top researcher likes snuff BTLs or a toxin spill. Trying to pretend that their prototype hasn't been stolen when it has, that'll hurt them too much in investor credibility when it is found out (and the thiefing corp will make sure it is).

But whatever, SR isn't about simulating corp behaviour the right way. The way I see, extraterritoriality means that corps revert to the same methods that enemy states use towards eachother - espionage, sabotage, and being corps they've outsourced it, hiring runners on a per mission basis instead of maintaining their own set of agents. They are still corporations though, focused on shareholder value instead of sovereignity, forcing them to act in many ways like corporations do today - they need credibility, and they inform a lot to the public because what really gets their stock up is their potential to generate even more revenue in the future. I also have them treat a lot of their employees very well - of course the minimum-wage crowd doesn't get benefits, but above that they cater well for their people and try to motivate them to attract the best people (and to get them to drop any social life outside of the office of course).

Others may like to have their corps act like alien overlords, filled with wageslaves that are treated like shit and all hate their job and their boss and would love to help some runners blow it all up.
Witness
QUOTE (Adarael @ Aug 3 2006, 05:06 PM)

By the rules, this isn't the case. They don't explain why you can still heal when you have oxygenated fluorocarbons instead of blood, but my assumption has always been the OF replaces the red blood cells, while white blood cells, platelets, macrophages, et cetera continue to be produced and work as normal.

By the rules of biology I'm pretty sure it is the case. Red blood cells get bound up with the coagulation factors like bricks between mortar. I don't suppose anybody has thought to test whether clotting would work just fine without RBCs but my educated hunch says no.
Anyway, RBCs don't contain DNA, while white blood cells etc do. So I don't quite understand the point of replacing the former and not the latter!
Who are 'they' exactly?

QUOTE (nezumi)
The news will travel up the grapevine a few levels, until it reaches someone with enough authority to say "handle it quietly". Then it travels back down. Shareholders never find out, so there's no drop in stock. If news gets out, Ares can deny it because the fact the prototype existed in the first place probably was not public news, or if it was, it wasn't concise enough to pin down what exactly the prototype looked like. Stockholders rarely have any idea what the company they invest in is actually producing, they just know its monthly revenue. Investors don't care a whit if the company they invest in is stolen from regularly or not. They care that revenue continues to go up. If investors were actually as intelligent and discerning as you seem to think they are, we'd never have had the dot com crash.

Heh. Double Whammy. You rob the corp of one of its major projects, then you blackmail them with the threat of revealing the fact to shareholders!
ornot
While red blood cells do bind to the fibrinogin matrix that is formed in the clotting process, they are not a vital part of the clotting procedure. I'm not convinced that ammonia being released from spilt blood is a good idea though.

In my experience running games the characters' armour protects them from taking physical damage most of the time anyway. Somewhat ironic really since the combat characters have more physical boxes than stun but take stun more due to armour and the non-coms (mages, hackers and the like) have more stun boxes than physical but take physical more when in combat since they have less armour!
Charon
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 4 2006, 02:46 AM)
You're getting the owners confused with the employees. The employees (like the CEO) might want to hide the fact that they're not doing a good job. So they'll keep on cashing their fat pay check for a decade while running the company to the ground.

The owners do very explicitly not want that. The want the CEO to come clean when it starts going wrong, and either correct it or the owners can find a new CEO who can make sure that they won't get hit by a bankruptcy dropping their stock value to zero.

I'm not confusing things, I'm specifically talking about Enron, which you specifically brought up. The Professional Investors had no idea the boat was sinking until it was too late. That was in reply to your previous post where you said because of professional investors and analysts, you couldn't hide the sort of fraud/runs we're talking about in this thread and gave Enron as example.

My point was yes you can, Enron specifically did worse than that for at least a decade. Not minor frauds perpetrated against them but a major fraud perpatrated by the CEO and other officers themselves, plus the ouright criminal manipulation of the California futures energy market. It's not hiding the fraud that killed them, it's the simple fact they had been losing money for years but hid this fact through creative accounting tricks while borrowing heavily that did them in. Basically, they were bleeding to death but convinced the world, analysts and professional alike, to keep investing.

So Enron didn't sink because of the fraud. They survived for ten year more than they should have because of the fraud. And their stock soared for these ten years in which logic dictate it should have sunk to the bottom! And when they ran out of accounting tricks, they were leaking red ink all over the place and the bankruptcy was ten time worse than if they had never frauded and died quietly in 1995 or so as they should have.

Compare this to simply hiding the fact you've been hit by runners in SR and there is no common measure! If you can hide a Enron-type of fraud to analysts for 10 years, you can easily cover up the effect of mosts runs.

So yeah, you can pull the wool over theyes of these savvy analysts. Especially for minor things. Especially in SR were corps suffer this kind of hassle routinely and it therefore makes it almost a zero sum game when you compare the financial statements of your rivals at the end of the year. And in SR, the accountability is dramatically lesser than what it is today, making it even easier than it would be for a Caiman Islands bank to do the same today.

BTW : in Enron's Case, Ken Lay was the chairman of the Board and very much part of the Fraud. And a major shareholder, not an 'employee'. He started unloading a bit before things went to hell. And technically, the CEO and high officers we're all substantial shareholders of the company. They received large bonus in options and had a strong incentive to keep the stock raising at any cost, hence a good part of the mess.

But the stockholders that weren't part of the inner circle of Lay and the CEO (Skilling?) never saw it coming and most got shafted hard.
Smokeskin
What Enron did was very specifically not something the owners want to happen. Facing up to the problems and trying to change strategy and get company on track, at least they'd have had the chance. That a few individuals cook the books to make a lot of money while running the company to the ground, resulting in a bankruptcy, that's completely at the expense of the owners (ok, the majority since these people got lots of shares as part of their salary). This is not what the owners want.

And of course analysts don't spot such things. They analyse the markets and the info the companies release. But a lot of coverups are found out - like Enron shows, most stuff you can't cover up forever, because in the end it will have economic impacts that you can't hide (it won't always bankrupt the company like Enron). One day your announced projects have to become marketable products, or analysts will notice and the company will not only lose share value because the project didn't succeed, they'll also lose credibility. If you don't have credibility and you get a breakthrough on a project, you don't see your share rise when you announce it - unlike if you were credible. Same with announcing an expected increase in revenue next year, if people don't trust it they won't touch the stock.

The stock market encourages credibility. Investors just don't like buying stock because project X looks promising, when X really got nicked by the competion 6 months earlier and the corp just didn't feel like telling it. If they think there's a risk of that, they'll steer clear of the stock, or at least value it lower because of the higher risk. So low credibility means lower share value, current shareholders want higher share value, therefore they enforce that company policy is to remain credible. Covering up just doesn't make sense, especially considering that you're just postponing the share drop from the bad news, since at one point it will become evident that you won't get the revenue that everyone expected the project would bring in.

We can argue this all week. I simply don't agree that corporations of 2070 will look at Enron and say "wow, that was smart, we should do that too". Enron is a text-book example of how to completely and utterly destroy a company - the proper response when something goes wrong is not to cover it up, it is to change strategy and try to work with you got. The world is full of example of companies who started losing bundles, realized they were on the wrong track and managed a turnaround.
Charon
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 4 2006, 09:21 AM)
What Enron did was very specifically not something the owners want to happen.

But it did.

It was huge and yet it wasn't spotted for a decade.

And so it is damn easy in comparison to hide the aftermath of a normal run to the investors in the dystopian and unregulated world of Shadowrun when compared to the diffculty of hiding a fraud the size of what Enron did for over a decade in a more regulated environment to the same investors.

And so it doesn't makes much economical sense for Megacorps to expand ressources to doggedly track runners after the fact just to make an example of them. They're more likely to dust up the mess, keep quiet, and to set up their own run against the opponents who contracted against them in an effort to gain back the lost ground. For they are in the business of making money, not in the business of tracking runners for revenge if it's going to have no appreciable benefit to the bottom line (Sometime it does, often it doesn't).

And that was what we were aguing about, right?

---

QUOTE (Smokeskin)
We can argue this all week. I simply don't agree that corporations of 2070 will look at Enron and say "wow, that was smart, we should do that too".

You got lost in the Enron example. It was never my point.

Just that they covered up an Elephant in the boardroom and no one noticed. So don't tell me it's hard to keep investors from learning about the ups and downs of the shadowruns led by and against the corporation should you want to, especially in the world of SR which is 10x more favorable to that kind of things due to extra-territoriality and low regulations.

As Nezumi pointed out, the majority of corporations today already don't report most computer crimes commited against them

I'm just saying it would be much the same with shadowruns. And should the corporation have a significant amount of public stock, it wouldn't be hard to prevent the shareholders to find out.
nezumi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
What Enron did was very specifically not something the owners want to happen.

Keep in mind, the majority of owners are people like me. I have $4,000 tucked away for retirement in the market. TSP, mutual funds, IRA, Coverdell. However, I could not name a single individual corporation my money goes to because that's not how the system works. I just know I have X amount in "International" and Y amount in small cap, so on and so forth. And I"m certainly not unusual in that fact. So most owners really have absolutely no idea where their money is or what it is doing right now. In this case, that means that while I, as a partial owner of Enron, don't want it to go down, I really don't know enough to have much of a say in how Enron runs. My broker might have a say, but he mostly looks on the growth and returns Enron has been publishing (plus, of course, any obvious statements that their research has been stolen by shadowrunners). It's not his money, and he really does get paid regardless (even if he did get a percentage cut, because the money is distributed so much between investments and investors, it really doesn't make a real difference to him). So us owners have no idea.

The CEO and the few named investors who owned 40% of Enron or whatever were PROFITING from Enron covering up. It became a pyramid scheme. They were making money by convincing other people Enron was stable. As soon as news gets out that Enron is going down, THEN they lose (because their stock becomes worthless). So the owners, and by this I mean ALL the owners, do not want information about scandal to get out until after they've sold their shares. Since I own .00001% of Enron, they don't care enough to tell me. But the big name owners know, and they know when to jump out. That's all they need, keep the ship together and give us warning if the crash is inevitable. Stealing the Ares prototype does not make the crash inevitable. These owners, BTW, cashed in on the fraud and got away with hundreds of millions in their golden parachute. The small time owners like me maybe lost $50 at most, since my money is so spread out. The people who really got screwed were the employees, who got no paycheck and worse, no retirement.

But a lot of coverups are found out - like Enron shows, most stuff you can't cover up forever,

This is a load of hooie. Of course, it really depends on the size of the coverup. A lost $100,000 can be swept under the rug in a corp the size of Ares.

They analyse the markets and the info the companies release.

This is exactly the point. The info the companies release. If Ares reports every six months that something has been stolen, they lose credibility and their stock drops. Not only that, but they get a reputation for being easy to steal from, creating a vicious cycle. Despite what you say, there's nothing to show that every hidden problem is eventually revealed (and the owners, BTW, would prefer that nothing is ever revealed to the public. They lose money if the public finds out.)
Ravor
I'm fairly sure that I've seen this point already made in this thread, but I think it needs to be repeated....

Many research projects will either fail or be delayed in providing results from non-Shadowrun causes, such as causing cancer, not being cost-effective, being just a little 'too-good', or simply being the second to market.

As for the Corp hiring the Runners in the first place 'making sure' that knowledge of the theft got out, tell me why they would risk exposing their own illegal actions again after they've already gotten away with it? Seems to me that with most things, everything will simply be swept under the rug by both parties and Corp A might try to hit Corp B back of they know who Corp B is.

Now, don't get me wrong, people are still people, and if the run has wounded the pride of someone with enough power and budget to track the runners down, he very well might, even though he'd have a real hard time justicifing his actions to his Bosses if he doesn't provide results before they find out.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Witness @ Aug 4 2006, 04:35 AM)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Aug 3 2006, 05:06 PM)

By the rules of biology I'm pretty sure it is the case. Red blood cells get bound up with the coagulation factors like bricks between mortar. I don't suppose anybody has thought to test whether clotting would work just fine without RBCs but my educated hunch says no.
Anyway, RBCs don't contain DNA, while white blood cells etc do. So I don't quite understand the point of replacing the former and not the latter!
Who are 'they' exactly?

If you really want to obfuscate DNA evidence what you do is specify on your character sheet that you are a tetragametic chimera and be explicit about which parts of your body grew from which zygote.

Now, since you are your own fraternal twin you would have two distinct sets of DNA in your blood and possibly two distinct blood types. Before going out on a run have your street doc filter your blood so that it contains only blood of one type. After the run have your street doc put the old blood back in and filter out the blood of the other type.

Simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild
Witness
Chimeras are seriously rare, and often quite difficult to detect, and you still only have two genomes, which are related. So a geneflux-type treatment would be better, IMO.
Smokeskin
How about a sustained sterilize spell? Seems anchoring will be back with street magic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012