Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underground Bunkers and Complexes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlakJacket
I've been reading this article in the paper about how the Chinese government has apparently built a massive bunker able to accomodate over two hundred thousand people for up to a fortnight under Shanghai on the quiet. It's also connected to the subway system and a number of residential and office buildings. That's one hell of a civil defence project.

Which got me thinking, how prevalent are underground locations in people's games? We already have the major canon places like the Ork Underground, the sub-levels of the Renraku Arcology or to a lesser extent Halferville down in San Francisco, but what else have people come up with? Secret underground corporate bases, old decommissioned US military complexes, modern day military facilities? And what other large underground places are there in the canon Shadowrun world that people can think of?
Anythingforenoughnuyen
I have always thought that underground facilities would be very common in Shadowrun. As an after effect of the "Resource Rush" there would be literally tens of thousands of played-out mines around the world-extensive underground complexes ready made for Corps. and other groups to snap up and modify into secure facilities. And given how dangerous the world is, as well as the advantages to not only physical but also magical security that underground facilities provide, it would actually make since for underground facilities to multiply rather rapidly.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about mining, so anyone out there with a better handle on that end of things might be able to provide you with a more realistic appraisal of my view.

AFEN nuyen.gif
Grinder
A complex built completly underground provides a very good defense against magic scouting, so I think they're very common.
Slump
Another advantage to underground facilities is that they also provide excellent physical security as well.

In an office building, every window is a potential entry point. In an underground facility, the entrance, and the ventilation tunnels are potential entry points. There is no practical way to monitor every potential entry point on a building, but it would be quite simple to have cameras on every underground access point be monitered 24 hours a day.
stevebugge
A lot of the left over cold war bunkers and command facilities would be in NAN Territory, though it would be hard to say what their status is now (in use, demolished, sealed up). Big corps would likely build secure labs and facilities at least partly underground, possibly using depleted mines, natural formations, or starting new.

A few things to keep in mind when locating one of these underground lairs. Soil composition. In Seattle for example the high sand content of the soil makes building anything underground difficult (hence no subway IRL). Water Table: Good luck building an underground complex in New Orleans, a couple feet down and you've hit the water table. Not to say these would be impossible, just more difficult and expensive.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 31 2006, 10:50 PM)
A lot of the left over cold war bunkers and command facilities would be in NAN Territory, though it would be hard to say what their status is now (in use, demolished, sealed up).

Well the US wasn't all that well disposed towards the NAN as it was pulling out of the West so I figure they destroyed or tried to puit beyond use anything they could. Can't remember the name of it but they attempted to cave in/block off the base they'd carved out the middle of a mountain near Denver to try and deny it to the NAN.

Of course they'd of been rushed, under pressure and more than likely under-resourced so the demolitions might not have all gone completely according to plan. smile.gif
Frag-o Delux
Mount Cheyenne or NORAD?
FlakJacket
Cheyenne Mountain and NORAD now that you jog my memory. Was mentioned in the Denver boxed set.

[ Spoiler ]
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Cheyenne Mountain and NORAD now that you jog my memory. Was mentioned in the Denver boxed set.

[ Spoiler ]

I forget, where was the Nexus built? I seem to remember on an airforce base in that area. I do remember the place being littered with wrecked and burnt out vehicles that hid tons of sensors to monitor people approaching it.
FlakJacket
Based out of the old USAF Academy in Colorado Springs I think.
SL James
Yep. The Air Force Academy.

Pueblo's great for this. There's all sorts of shit buried in the mountains.
Adam Selene
Fallout shelters are located in every single major U.S. city. They're not hardened against nuclear strikes but they stand up to almost anything else.

Here in Fort Worth the fallout shelter is located two levels underground, for instance. Not a bunker, but for a shadowrunner it'll do.
Frag-o Delux
When you say fallout shelter do you mean any public building ran by the municaplity that has the black and yellow radioactive signs?

Some buildings are also designated as fallout shelters like phones offices. But if America was invaded by an army comparable to ours I would not be hiding in a phone office, as they would probably be a prime target for bombing to cut communications, much like we do in other countries.

And howmany structures are hardened against nuclear strikes, I mean other then Greenbrier, Norad and our own nuclear silos? Does camp David have a hardened bunker?
Lindt
IIRC yes, as does that congressional bunker in the Allegheny Mountains. And Mount Weather, Berryville, Va. and Raven Rock Mountain in Pennsylvania. Former Ft Devens in Ma is rumerd to have on as well, though thats a little more sketchy, being ON a fort and all.

Fallout shelters are a dime a dozen, my hometown has 5 just in the rotery area. They are used to store stuff in now for the places that rent the entries.
Gabriel (Argus #2323)
Mister President!
We cannot ALLOW a mine-shaft gap!
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Gabriel (Argus #2323))
Mister President!
We cannot ALLOW a mine-shaft gap!

Great movie, even better while blasted out of your mind on LSD.
Fix-it
And then there's the Ork Underground in Seattle, which is an entire community underground.
Grinder
The questions was, which other underground complexes are there, besides the already known (=mentioned in canon) ones?
nezumi
Wasn't there something in some source book about underground moving walkways between busy office buildings? I've incorporated that into many of my office buildings, basically an underground sidewalk complex, to let people cross between buildings without worrying about rain or cars.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Fix-it)
And then there's the Ork Underground in Seattle, which is an entire community underground.

FYI, though the Ork underground is developed out of Underground Seattle, which wasn't originally built underground but buried after a fire burnt almost the entire city in the late 1800's. Rather than clear the debris the city decided to raise the street level and parts of the old city were now underground. Ostensibly the Ork Underground merged this with old storm drains and some unused or abandoned basements and some new excavation. In addition to this in Seattle there is a bus tunnel that runs from I-5, under Westlake Mall, then down 3rd Avenue to the International District. In my game this is also incorporated in to the Underground (the bus tunnel was abandoned when the monorail went in to service). There is also an underground walkway that connects a series of office buildings and shopping areas (I can't recall the names) a little south of Westlake mall. This I usually leave out of the Ork underground and as one of the underground walkways described by Nezumi, though not all of it has moving sidewalk.
Shrike30
What with the light rail rebuild of the bus tunnel, you could arguably say that the Ork Underground now has it's own high-speed rail connection to Sea-Tac airport in your game, steve nyahnyah.gif
Butterblume
Thinking about it, there are so many underground structures over here, so I probably can invent one every time I need to and get away with it nyahnyah.gif.

Bomb shelters, underground factories and storage space, nazi bunkers from WW II.
Further west, old cavesystems from WW I.
Old Mineshafts from as far back as a few thousand years, to new ones.
Bunkers and underground storages from the time of the cold war, on both sides of the iron curtain.

(Just what I thought of right now).

Cellars from Monasteries or Breweries. Catacombs. Cisterns. Fuel tanks.
Grinder
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Bomb shelters, underground factories and storage space, nazi bunkers from WW II.

With nazi gold and nazi tech and surviving nazi cults - Pulp! comes to Shadowrun! biggrin.gif cool.gif
Butterblume
It's a fact, a lot of them still exist, only the entrances are sealed, so nobody gets hurt.

The gold and the tech was looted, mainly by americans and russians. Reemerging cults could be a good campaign. Some magical threat would be viable, too. Some stuff might have been useless in the fourties, but after the awakening the same stuff might be dangerous... I feel a cheesy campaign coming up cool.gif.

Probably starting with detective work in Munich (finally, an excuse to buy the -german- Munich Sourcebook wink.gif), ending with a big hack&slay somewhere in an old nazi bunker in the Alps.
Grinder
Did you buy Munich Noir?

Most of the nazi gold and tech may have been looted, but maybe not all. A good excuse for a little dungeoncrawl without the usual corp security stuff.
BlacKat
I personally like using sites like these for inspiration when designing my own underground areas, or "thought to be sealed off" entrances to corporate complexes.

http://www.actionsquad.org/

BlacKat
stevebugge
QUOTE (Shrike30)
What with the light rail rebuild of the bus tunnel, you could arguably say that the Ork Underground now has it's own high-speed rail connection to Sea-Tac airport in your game, steve nyahnyah.gif

What with the awakening and Ghost Dance war only 6 years away that will never make it out of the Impact Study phase. The Man has it out for the Ork and the Ork ain't even around yet! ork.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Shrike30)

Oh, speaking or rebuilds. Are they going to go ahead and effectively run a highway over Pioneer Sqaure or what?
stevebugge
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Aug 1 2006, 12:36 PM)

Oh, speaking or rebuilds. Are they going to go ahead and effectively run a highway over Pioneer Sqaure or what?

Doubtful. Very Doubtful in fact. The fate of Highway 99 / Aurora Avenue / Alaskan Way Viaduct is still very much up in the air, as is the Viaduct itself (for now anyway). After Boston's problems with the Big Dig I think the Tunnel is falling out of favor with everyone but the City Council (Some things in New Seattle are very accurate 2065 City Council could care less what the actual city dwellers want, same in 2006). Some of the other options are, build a new Elevated Freeway, retrofit the existing one, or build a new freeway at ground level. If the retrofit, upgrade, new freeway what ever plan actually gets done, they might connect it to the I-90 off ramp that ends a mere two blocks from the existing Viaduct. Of course for SR Seattle this is no big deal because Pioneer Square gets flattened to make room for the Arcology, and as far as I can tell 99 either ran through the arcology or around it somehow.
Lindt
Well when you hire the lowest bidder...
And its my tax dollers at work... I love my state, its so disfunctional...
stevebugge
QUOTE (Lindt)
Well when you hire the lowest bidder...
And its my tax dollers at work... I love my state, its so disfunctional...

I think Washington's policy is to see what everyone else did, then copy them including all the mistakes in an even more expensive manner, all against the will of the voters. Trust me as dysfunctional as your state may be, Seattle City and Washington State Goverment will find a way to get lesser quality without using the lowest bidder.

This reminds me of another great source of underground complexes, unfinished transportation projects! Also public infrastructure contracts would be a great source of Shadow Employment (including for whoever was looking for ideas on demolition runs) as major construction companies try to land these lucrative jobs. They would be hiring to sabotage bids, ruin the each other's rep by sabotaging each others completed projects, steal key employees away from each other, sabotage materials, etc. Lots of work, also chances are these would be A and B tier companies at most, or arm's length subsidiaries of the AA's and AAA's given that public contracts usually give preference to local companies.
Dog
Three words: free. earth. elementals.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Aug 1 2006, 07:38 PM)

A couple of months ago my family was on vacation in Normandy, and we took a tour of some of the important Operation Overlord sites. My favorite had to be Pointe du Hoc, the site of a bunch of fortified German artillery emplacements that were stormed by the 2nd Ranger Batallion on D-Day. (You may remember Pointe du Hoc from the 1962 film, The Longest Day, or from the 2005 video game, Call of Duty 2.) During each of the past three summers, Texas A&M has sent a team to do an archeological survey of the site. This Pointe du Hoc Battlefield Monument Project page has lots of information about the site, including some nifty maps and photographs. Some interesting comments from the surveyors:
The value the Germans placed in the strategic advantage of Pointe du Hoc fueled the drive to provide the labor and resources to construct a modern fortified city, impenetrable from the land and sea.  It is this strategic value and its subsequent realization through the construction of bunkers, gun emplacements, trenches, and tunnels that forced an Allied counter strategy bordering on the impossible....Though significant points of the overall story are well known – the creation of the “city”, the movement of the guns, the difficult ascent of the cliffs, and the eventual Allied success – many of the important details...remain hidden.

The Command Post, gun emplacements and bunkers at Point du Hoc were evidently connected to one another by a series of open trenches and concrete-covered passageways....[T]he Germans had evidently been successful in obscuring the location of many of their concrete covered trenches from aerial reconnaissance....

Co-registered GPR and magnetics data have revealed buried voids and reinforced concrete structures....The EMI measurements have revealed unambiguous signs of metal fragments in the bomb craters and complex buried metal structures.

Here's how I'd see myself running this:

Although the folks at Texas A&M stopped studying Pointe du Hoc several decades ago, a team is sent back there one lovely June day to continue their excavations. A professor at A&M has recently uncovered evidence of a new and historically significant artifact that is buried somewhere on the site, and the team has come to look for it. Shortly after the excavators begin their work, however, they are taken hostage by terrorists, who are of course interested in acquiring the artifact as well. The terrorists have already killed some of these hostages, and are threatening to kill more if the excavators don't find the artifact and hand it over quickly. One of the excavators is a young grad student who just happens to be the offspring of a wealthy and influential CASer, and Daddy is willing to pay anything to get his little scion back. The runners' mission is simple: invade the site, stop the terrorists, and rescue the Aggies.

(FYI, I haven't figured out what the artifact is, or what the terrorist group's purpose and goals are. I'm sure they'll both be a part of a Byzantine conspiracy that will span the entire campaign, though. biggrin.gif )

EDIT: I found the project's official website, which has much more detailed information.
SL James
That reminds me of the end of Crimson Rivers 2 that takes place inside some of the tunnels and bunkers that formed the Maginot Line.
Kagetenshi
That's what the midwest needs: gigantic rows of dragon's teeth.

~J
Dog
Related movie: The Bunker (appropriately enough!)
BrianL03
In Chicago, there are several underground locations that would be interesting to explore:

First off, in the SR world, the Wind Transit Terminal is a gigantic bus depot, situated underground, on the north edge of the Core. I want to say it takes up twenty-five square blocks of land underground. Bug City mentions it being abandoned when the Containment Zone went up.

In real life Chicago, there is a series of tunnels originally built for freight rail and telephone wiring underneath the downtown Loop (now the Noose). Whether the fall of the Sears Tower would have damaged these things further, it's unknown (but probable). Chicago actually flooded in 1992 because of a rupture between the tunnels and the river. In addition to the subway tunnels just east of the tunnels, would make for some great anti-bug fighting.

Also in the Loop is a series of underground pedways, where pedestrians can walk from one place to another without going outside.

And of course, you can't forget Lower Wacker and Lower Lower Wacker Drive!

Granted, though, all (except the Wind Transit) are in the Loop, now a no-go zone for the most part, so their use is a bit more limited.
Frag-o Delux
iI may be mistaken, but isnt there a large naval base close to Chicago? Im just wondering what sort of things they do there and would they have bunker facilities for that purpose?
stevebugge
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
iI may be mistaken, but isnt there a large naval base close to Chicago? Im just wondering what sort of things they do there and would they have bunker facilities for that purpose?

The Great Lakes Naval Training Facility possibly. A hardened bunker is probably not likely for a training center.
BrianL03
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 2 2006, 11:36 AM)

The Great Lakes Naval Training Facility possibly. A hardened bunker is probably not likely for a training center.

It is the Naval Station Great Lakes (officially), located between Chicago and Milwaukee. That's where a lot of Navy training goes on (a friend is enrolled there). Most of it is just training purposes. Not much in the way of actual deployed ships. Think of it as the Navy's boot camp for the prairie states.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (stevebugge)

Wasnt sur what kind of base it was, so couldnt hypothosize what wold be there. But I agree, a training base doesnt seem like a place to have hardened bunkers.

A sub base or something should, to house nuclear weapons and such.
BrianL03
Well, as the UCAS now has the Algonkian-Manitou Council on the north coast of Lake Superior, it's possible that the NSGL could be expanded due to its alredy high-built status.

Otherwise, Sault Ste. Marie on the tip of the Michigan Peninsula would be a good choice as well for a major Great Lakes naval base for the UCAS.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (stevebugge)
A few things to keep in mind when locating one of these underground lairs.  Soil composition.  In Seattle for example the high sand content of the soil makes building anything underground difficult (hence no subway IRL).

...similar reason why there could not be a subway in Portland despite what the TT sourcebook says. When they bore the West Hills Max tunnel aroung six years ago, they had a devil of a time with soft clay which is what most of the city is built on. Coupled with the usual Rainy Season (Oct - June) it really makes for some fairly unstable ground.

Also Portland is more of a prime target for a massive earthquake than either Seattle, San Francisco, or Southern Cal. due to subduction of the Juan De Fuca plate off the coast. Not a place I would want to build deep underground that's for sure
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (BrianL03)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 2 2006, 03:31 PM)

It is the Naval Station Great Lakes (officially), located between Chicago and Milwaukee. That's where a lot of Navy training goes on (a friend is enrolled there). Most of it is just training purposes. Not much in the way of actual deployed ships. Think of it as the Navy's boot camp for the prairie states.

...the site where the City of Milwaukee now holds its annual Summerfest was originally a Nike Missile base during the 1950s & early 60s.. Don't remember if there were any underground facilities there.

Meanwhile, upstate in Stevens Point Wis, there is a series of tunnels and rooms under the University campus there. One rumour has it the complex was to serve as the alternate state capitol should Madison have been destroyed (or the Packers lost the Superbowl).

...duck and cover cheeseheads...
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (stevebugge)
A few things to keep in mind when locating one of these underground lairs.  Soil composition.  In Seattle for example the high sand content of the soil makes building anything underground difficult (hence no subway IRL).

...similar reason why there could not be a subway in Portland despite what the TT sourcebook says. When they bore the West Hills Max tunnel aroung six years ago, they had a devil of a time with soft clay which is what most of the city is built on. Coupled with the usual Rainy Season (Oct - June) it really makes for some fairly unstable ground.

Also Portland is more of a prime target for a massive earthquake than either Seattle, San Francisco, or Southern Cal. due to subduction of the Juan De Fuca plate off the coast. Not a place I would want to build deep underground that's for sure

Let's not forget that Portland is at least Theoretically in a place that could be affected by a significantly large Pacific Tsumani. Not likely but there is a small possibility that with the right origination point a sufficiently large tsunami couuld travel a ways up the Columbia and affect some of the riverside parts of town. All those underground facilities would make a nice drain though silly.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 4 2006, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE (stevebugge)

Let's not forget that Portland is at least Theoretically in a place that could be affected by a significantly large Pacific Tsumani. Not likely but there is a small possibility that with the right origination point a sufficiently large tsunami couuld travel a ways up the Columbia and affect some of the riverside parts of town. All those underground facilities would make a nice drain though silly.gif

...that was one of the local news topics following the one that hit the Pacific a year & a half ago. On the coast, there have been numerous drills since then, but allas, nobody here in P'Town takes the threat seriously, even after the '96 spring flood which near;ly inundated the city centre.
Dog
That's the sort of thing that usually just gets covered in the "It's the future, they have new technology." rationalization. Good enough for some; not for others.

Somewhere around here in the interlake region is a series of limestone caverns. Their location is kept a secret, and tourists are not allowed, so they don't interfere with the "scientific research" going on there.

There's also the Narcisse snake pits. Hardly an "underground complex," but a good jumping off point for extrapolating into some kind of hidden shamanic power site. http://www.greatcanadianlakes.com/manitoba...g/eco_page4.htm
HullBreach
Due to the nature of my former employment IRL I cannot comment about the military usuage of underground facillities, but I can comment about some other civilian spots I know of that Im sure the corps would have jumped on!

Most folks dont know this, but Detroit (Ares Macrotech's home town) sits on top of some pretty vast (and mostly depleted) salt mines. Last I heard there was talk about converting some of them over for HAZMAT storage, but I think that got nixed given that the largest freshwater supply in the world (the great lakes) is next door.

Florida (my newly adopted home) has extensive phosphate and sulfur mining activities just south of Tampa that would lend themselves to conversion. Most sit at the bottom of huge man-made craters too, which Im sure the corps would love as "Defensive Landscaping".

I also think it likely that an easy way to conceal and secure a facillty would be to find a depleted strip mine, build your facillity in the bottom, seal it up, then flood the mine with water to create a nice artificial lake. Hell, you could even use the newly created waterfront property as a nice 'perk' to corporate personell.

Remember that hiding in plain sight works best. A busy legitimate facillity is the best camoflage for somthing more nefarious. Plus it can provide a nice reason for all of those secure semi-trucks rolling in and out at all hours of the night.

Also, remember that most relastic and plausible Arcology designs have been primarily subterranean. The Japanses have dubbed these Geo-Fronts, and theres some pretty cool info to include diagrams availible out there (Google is thy ally).

I dont know specific locations, but Ive heard about some pretty massive natural caverns out in the middle of nowhere in Canada, and Im not even sure how well documented those are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012