Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Mekalus
Is this closed now? If not then I have a couple different character concepts Ive run up including a mage. Ill keep an eye on this and if its open will submit one of them post haste.
LilithTaveril
Okay, once my character gets checked over, I'll post the background.

I'll note that any and all similarities to a certain archetype in a certain book that is both big and black are entirely intentional.
Samaels Ghost
Mekalus: ARKARY submitted a mage, but if your concept fits better with the run (whatever that is going to be exactly) then we could....

HAVE YOU BOTH FIGHT TO THE DEATH! WINNER PLAYS ONLINE RPG! HAHA!

Lilith: My math may be wrong but you've spent 410 BP
Here's my math
[ Spoiler ]
LilithTaveril
I was actually comming on to correct the knowledge section. Reread that part and did the classic forhead slap when I saw the mistake. biggrin.gif

Okay, I'll correct. Background will be up a bit later. Mainly because I can't seem to read my own handwriting right now.
Samaels Ghost
Am I wrong about the 410?
LilithTaveril
As far as I know? No. I dropped a skill group by one rank, upped the knowledge skills.

Edit: Yes, you were. Here's the breakdown under the current setup:

[ Spoiler ]

I'm upping the influence skill group back to 4. Remember, Edge starts out at 1.

Oh, if this character isn't appropriate, I have another rigger I can use...
Green Eyed Monster
Samaels Ghost, hacker +, dwarf
FanGirl, thief, human, female (always need someone who can go in the Women's restroom without causing a commotion wink.gif)
silentmaster101, Sammie, elf
ARKARY, mage, human
LilithTaveril, rigger/face

TheOneRonin,
Mekalus, POST Hastily
JonathanC,
tisoz
I'll take a magical type from adept to full. It looks like the mage we have leans toward spellcasting.

I am going to assume that you all have worked with each other at one time but not as a regular team. If you want to have deeper relationships between characters, you may post them or PM them as we give the stragglers one last chance to get a character in. I still am not sure if this is a weekend posting game or not. Weekend posting is my preference.

It looks like we will start on Monday, either with a straggler or with what we have. I'll start an IC, In Character, thread and an OoC, Out of Character, thread and link them. Please turn off your signatures in the IC thread. This can be done globally from your control panel (I think) or for individual posts as you post from the POST OPTIONS panel below where you are typing your post. Uncheck the box by Enable signature. If you forget, you can edit your post and turn it off then. Remember to disable it when otherwise editing your post.

IC thread is for describing what your character is doing. OoC thread is for OoC questions, dice rolls, and stating dice pools, the behind the scenes stuff. I think I am going to make all the rolls, because I plain old do not trust people. It may sound like I am expecting a lot of trust in return, but I ran an SR3 game that I saw some awesome dice rolls that just broke the expected results table. I can roll physical dice or use a computer dice roller (the one with the NSRCG) at the groups choice.

So far I have not wentoverany character with a fine tooth comb. I looked and tried to get a feel for what they were and hopefully how they could contribute. Contacts, I pretty much glossed over. If you are anal retentive and feel the need to know exactly what or why stuff happened or is happening, I would suggest having many different contacts to question for such information. Or save the BPs and trust me that there are reasons for about everything I am thinking of including. At the Con the players figured out almost everything.

Hurry up stragglers.
Relationships and finishing touches for others.
Good luck all, see you Monday.
LilithTaveril
Okay, character history. This is my usual style, so be prepared for some reading. Oh, and please forgive if the ones for 2060 are wrong in several areas. Remember she was a little mind-fragged during that time.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
silentmaster101
computer rolls are fine, or by hand makes no difference to me, as i would have been using the same program as you ( i have a bad habit of losing real dice). so it really makes no difference who does the clicking. i will give a physical and personality description after i get home from work, as i want it to fit my character sheet which is at home...

on a side note it might be nice to have either another mage or a sam that is good with heavy weapons or demolition work.
Mekalus
Okay here is my character for submision history included at bottom:

[ Spoiler ]
Samaels Ghost
Don't want to go too detailed with my history. Leaves me open to improvise a little. If you insist on anything more detailed than this I'll be happy to oblige.

[ Spoiler ]
LilithTaveril
I'm still trying to decide if I should add more content to the history portion. I have at least another four months of journal entries I could write and still manage to keep it simple.
Samaels Ghost
I don't know, Lilith. A lot of the stuff in your journal entries is stuff our character wouldn't know much about. While it's great you're building your character ahead of time, isn't it more important to build the story together? If we all get lost in our own character histories it may just turn into completely disconnected storylines. Is detailed history and character development that important before we even meet?
silentmaster101
you two are either up really late, or up really early haah
LilithTaveril
I'm figuring hearing the name Deus from a group of guards isn't implausible... She's just assuming Deus is a person, and after all of that, she still doesn't know for sure. The rest wouldn't be difficult to figure out.

However, if you want, I can simply edit it. Not a big deal.
silentmaster101
perhaps hearing it in your head at a bad moment might make things interesting
Samaels Ghost
No I mean, why would I know any of this about you? Did we sit down and talk? A brief summary might reflect what our characters know about each other. The kind of stuff that's likely to be said over drinks. Conversational stuff. "Got busted once doing blahblah" Or "I'll never do this again..." Not that your stuff is far fetched to have happened at all, just that it doesn't seem neccesary to tell us these things. Our characters don't know this, I'd rather go in and actually learn about your character through IC interactions. But that's just me, i guess.

And it's summer for me, a week until I go back to class. I stay up if i'm bored or don't have stuff to do the next day. 3:00 isn't lated for me lately
LilithTaveril
Oh! Okay, I'll have a small right-up for you. Just that this is a bit different than the way I'm used to doing it. Normally, only the GM bothers to read my history writeup, so this hasn't been an issue before.
silentmaster101
only things i would want the other characters to know about Garrett would be street rumors, and maybe from working together on a run or two would be these:
-has some sort of connection to the tir government (in the black daggers, but they don't really need to know that much)
-high ranking member of the ancients, and good friends with sting and green lucifer.
-takes the cause of metas very seriously mainly elves, but does not share the same xenophobia that many elves seem to have.
-worked for many years on the tir border patrol as a medic and scout.

physically he wears a black lined long coat over his gear when not on runs and black combat boots, over the chamealian suit. carries his pistol in a holster under his right arm, as he is left-handed. He carries his rifle slung on his back under his longcoat. all other gear is in a small pack on his back, or the medic kit on his left thigh, and the survival kit with a few common use tools on his right thigh. He has a neon green ancients symbol tattooed on the left side of his neck, obscured by the coat collar, or in missions his chamealian suit hood. Has Black hair about 8-11 inches long spiked up sort of resembles a tuft of grass you would find at the beach, so mostly up and fanning out.
-He henerally wears "punkish" style clothing and such.
-He is 50 years old, which is still just reaching maturity in elves terms, his personality is mature at the critical points but noticably laid-back but curious when with friends or in a place he feels is at least mostly safe.
JonathanC
I'm figuring the adept/magician slots are all taken at this point...what else would the group need a backup of? Another street sam? A backup hacker? A secondary rigger? Or maybe a dedicated face?
Green Eyed Monster
QUOTE (JonathanC)
I'm figuring the adept/magician slots are all taken at this point...what else would the group need a backup of?

If I take on a 7th PC, they need to be magical. Especially if someone leaves Spirit Bane: Blood Spirits. (That, by the way, is a hint to choose one of the 6 common types.) And I thought you could only have 25 points worth of Positive qualities?
Samaels Ghost
35 BP worth
Samaels Ghost
What silnetmaster has is the kind of thing I was thinking. Also, I wasn't thinking that your backstory stuff was for the GM only. That makes some sense. But yeah, some for us and some for the GM.

As for Hayter....
He's young for a Dwarf, 20 years old. Due to early exposure to illegal activities and the risks involved, he's a little more mature than the average 20 something year old. This maturity shows, but he still looks young. He's more likely to atttend meetings on the Matrix than in the flesh, to avoid judgment based on his age.
What other runners know? 'trix wiz, capable of on site hacking. Not a liablity for stealth. Decent rep. Failed once in the past. Got shot after the gunbunny blew their cover. Knocked out cold.
He's not ex-military or anything. Specializes in hacking and has some drones, but otherwise does not excel at much. He's the team hacker, through and through, right down to the slow RL reflexes and lack of dexterity. It is curious, though. Some say Hayter couldn't sneak of his life depended on it, some say his infiltration techniques were impressive. It seems to change from story to story.
Samaels Ghost
GM Question!

Can we use anything from Street Magic in our characters?
silentmaster101
ok so i was thinking, we need to figure out a way that we all know each other. so i figured i would toss out an idea, maybe we all frequent a club, type to be determined, and infrequently do runs for a local johnson there? so what im saying i guess is maybe we all have done at least a run or two with each of the other members, but not all at once, maybe two chars went on one run, and three on another or something. then in the beginning of the game such one could say, "remember that run against fuchi two months ago...", and maybe use past experiances to get out of tight spots or at least know we could rely on each-other.

let me know how this sounds.
Mekalus
QUOTE (Green Eyed Monster)
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Aug 20 2006, 02:23 PM)
I'm figuring the adept/magician slots are all taken at this point...what else would the group need a backup of?

If I take on a 7th PC, they need to be magical. Especially if someone leaves Spirit Bane: Blood Spirits. (That, by the way, is a hint to choose one of the 6 common types.) And I thought you could only have 25 points worth of Positive qualities?

Ok sorry. Changed it in the character posting. Went with blood originally as it went with his background.
FanGirl
I don’t want to set my character’s background in stone, but since everyone seems to be providing theirs in some detail, I’ll succumb to peer pressure:
[ Spoiler ]
Green Eyed Monster
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
GM Question!

Can we use anything from Street Magic in our characters?

Such as?
Samaels Ghost
I didn't want to even look if I wasn't going to be able to use anything. But since you ask, Adept powers maybe?
Samaels Ghost
Who do we have so far?

Fangirl - Silver Thief, melee proficiency
Samaels Ghost - Adept Hacker, some stealth
silentmaster - Ancients Sammie, Medic
ARKARY - Spellslinger, no background (thats okay)
Lilith - Excellent Face and rigger. Worked in arc
Mekalus - average skills, ninja! Former military

Well, FanGirl and I might know each other because I'm not afraid of breaking into a place and have probably stolen goods right along side her. silentmaster and ARKARY are both useful on bigger runs where many bases have to be covered, so I might have worked with them one or twice. I might even know Lilith from trying to buy stuff from her, I do have a drone or two and she might have deck/comm parts that I could use. Mekalus could very well be a decent theif too, so maybe I helped him with tech-security a time or two.

That's all I can think of. Maybe we can change our fixers to the same guy/girl.
Samaels Ghost
Eidetic Sense Memory
Multi-Tasking
Sustenance
Three-Dimensional Memory

These are all ones that I may consider getting now or later.
Green Eyed Monster
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I didn't want to even look if I wasn't going to be able to use anything. But since you ask, Adept powers maybe?

Which ones? The ones you have already taken are quite questionable in my opinion. You no doubt want magic to work in cyberspace, and from everything I have ever seen or heard, magic will not work in cyberspace. If you want to point me to why it should work, discussion or what-have-you, feel free.

Eidetic Sense Memory, Multi-Tasking, Sustenance, Three-Dimensional Memory are "better" than the questionable ones and feel free to swap them out.
Green Eyed Monster
If you did not get into the game or if you want to play a game with a pre-made character, watch for this thread to resurface. If I lose a current player, I will dredge this thread back up and try to find a replacement player.

And another set of links to the IC/OOC threads:
Moo-Juice Marathon OOC Thread
Samaels Ghost
Technical skills are covered by the Improved Ability power. The Cracking skills are technical skills, after all. Why is that questionable? My intuitions and understanding of hacking and such are augmented by mana. Think of it as tapping into the collective unconscious. The mana doesn't manipulate the Matrix, it has changed me.

I'm considering getting Sustenance and Multi-tasking right now becuase they're interesting hacker flavor bits. Staying up all night, forgetting to eat and sleep could have spawned the need for Sustenance. Multi-tasking would also be something a hacker would develop over time having to split his attention between many different feeds and data streams. I like the idea of typing on forums and trying to have RL conversations at the same time. Could lead to comedy biggrin.gif
Green Eyed Monster
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Technical skills are covered by the Improved Ability power. The Cracking skills are technical skills, after all. Why is that questionable? My intuitions and understanding of hacking and such are augmented by mana. Think of it as tapping into the collective unconscious. The mana doesn't manipulate the Matrix, it has changed me.

I'm considering getting Sustenance and Multi-tasking right now becuase they're interesting hacker flavor bits. Staying up all night, forgetting to eat and sleep could have spawned the need for Sustenance. Multi-tasking would also be something a hacker would develop over time having to split his attention between many different feeds and data streams. I like the idea of typing on forums and trying to have RL conversations at the same time. Could lead to comedy biggrin.gif

SM.23 agrees with you. Adepts will truly rule the world.
Samaels Ghost
Too bad they're such a small percentage of the population, or else things would be even more interesting ork.gif

I'll be posting minor changes in a little bit
Samaels Ghost
Hayter - Revision

+1 Magic = (4) Magic (-1 from implants)

-1 Connection = Hardware Tinker (2/2)

-1 Disguise = 2 Disguise (camoflage)

-Guts quality

Powers (.25 points left over)
Eidetic Sense Memory (.5)
Multi-Tasking (.5)
Sustenance (.25)
Three-Dimensional Memory (.5)
LilithTaveril
Sorry for my delay, but here's the summary that people would know about the character. Took me awhile to boil it down.

Jumpin Jill is perhaps one of the more interesting riggers. She got her start in the Arcology, doing a bit of rigging for the survivors there while trying to escape. All that's known about her time there is currently in a UCAS evidence file, lost somewhere on the East Coast. Her time in the shadows is punctuated by the occasional job she's pulled off, mainly as the driver, along with all of the repairs she does for others. Need a drone repaired? She's your girl.
Green Eyed Monster
The Title is no longer in limbo, but the game is languishing there. Moo Juice Marathon, links in first post, need some replacement players, perhaps some replacement PCs.

If you want to jump into a game without having to create a character, this is the opportunity. Take over an existing abondened PC.

[ Spoiler ]

PCs will be replaced based on longest innactivity of player.

I considered recruiting new players with their own PC, but think it would be too hard to introduce and disrupt what little continuity exists.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012