Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tisoz's Second Shadowrun Fiction Contest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Backgammon
Angels: Ahh, now that was good stuff. Best one so far by a large margin. I actually didn't like the many "fast forwards", like "three weeks later" and stuff, but it was integral to the story, of course. Anyway, the crafting is perfect, no confusion, very good character depth, interesting. Yup, all very very good.
SL James
Part of the problem with We'll Meet Again is that it is written in the context of something else. Plus it doesn't really have an ending.

Same with Poland. It's set during the Eurowars, which isn't very shadowrunnerish. Plus it's a horrible copy that clearly hasn't been edited.
Fyastarter
angels good short story told in an interesting way i could already happily read a longer story with those characters but perhaps it works better as a short.

I liked that you took a look at racism within the sr world in inhuman without it being the main focus of the story (though a heavy theme), i haven't read much of the sr fiction, but racism seems to have been mostly neutered in 4th so far as i could tell. How do you all handle racism in games? I guess a lot of groups don't want to touch it, it can be sensitve but the oppurtunities for RP, certainly the darker the world the more likely it is too crop up.

ok getting off topic and rambling now.

knasser
QUOTE (Critias)
Speaking as the author of __________________, I appreciate it. Feedback -- that actually says something, not just "all these stories sucked a dick" -- is always welcome. I wouldn't write for these things, if I didn't want to know what people thought about my stuff.

I'm happy to offer feedback to anyone who's interested in my opinion. PM me, if so. But wait until after the competition is decided and identities revealed!
coolgrafix
Ok, I finally finished them all last night.

Overall, I must confess to enjoying all of them. I just enjoyed spending a little time in the Shadowrun world (I rarely get to play). Sure, some had typos, misplaced words and other anomalies, but writers can't (repeat CAN'T) edit their own stuff. That's what editors do, and these stories weren't edited.

As to the concern that some of these "aren't really stories, just descriptions of events," I say hogwash. This is not an academic exercise. Grammar, punctuation, spelling, and even adherance to conventions is not, or should not be, a criteria. Speaking of criteria, here is the only criteria that was provided:
  • SR setting - not the impossible by SR rules
  • Pre-2065
  • Length - long enough to tell the story, short enough to withstand ADD.
  • Must be fresh fiction, not posted somewhere before.
That's it. It should be pointed out that not all of the stories actually adhere to this list. One mentioned Augmented Reality, commlinks, and AR gloves, for example... technicalities that could easily be removed without affecting the story whatsoever (probably why tisoz let it in anyway).

The Samaritan - Hadn't seen this one before but apparently it's been around. Nice read, but it seemed a little silly for Razz et al to be singing such praises in this manner.

Better Run, Runner - Razz and the gang (sans The Samaritan) show up again in this story presumably by the same author. Totally different feel, though. Liked this story alot and appreciated the narrative regarding the drug's effects. It's hard to get that sort of feel from just reading the rulebook. Of all the stories I think I probably had the best time reading this one. Keep it up. Can't wait to hear what jams Kim, Razz, Big C, and the others get out of next time. And for me, that's what this is all about.

Another Night in Poland - Reads like it was written by someone with armed forces experience. Or at least someone who reads alot of military fiction/nonfiction. Liked the story. Flavor seemed more technical than action-oriented... didn't get my juices running.

Curtains - The transition from memory to current events was unclear the first time I read it. Had to back up and re-read some to get things straight. The presence of 2070 technology was a little jarring, but in the end didn't impact the story at all. Not sure why it bothered me so much that it was there in the first place, other than that I specifically remembered the guidelines were pre-2065 stories. Bothered me that we don't have any clue what actually happened to Graveyard, other than that Aztechnology was being held accountable for her death. The cryptic Citizen Kane-esque "I still can't feel my pinky" left me wondering what reference to not feeling pinkies I had missed earlier in the story. I went back and found it. Perhaps more should be made of the pinky numbness when first encountered, as I had completely forgotten about such a detail by the end of the story. It's hard to relate to the main character's desire for suicide. This story didn't grab me.

All Good Things... - Seemed a little clumbsily constructed. Perhaps I felt that way due to it's brevity. Perhaps I just disagreed with the author's interpretation of spirit totems. Not having read any of the published Shadowrun novels, and not having played in games where spirit totems interacted with players in this way, I was left with a "what the hell" kind of feeling. Ok, that and also the fact that I don't see how a bug can point a leg at anyone, much less how someone could tell such a thing was happening from across the friggin room. wink.gif It's also very unclear what the title is referring to. Is it the end of the world? The end of his relationship with Morrigan? The end of his life prior to this new committment to discover the uberplot that Wolf eludes to? I think this one needs some work.

We'll Meet Again - Maybe it was getting late but I found this one very confusing. A lot of pronoun usage with no clear antecedents. A lot of name dropping and acronyms that must mean something to someone who recently read System Failure, but not me. =) Did I mention that I found this story confusing? Ok, specifically I guess I found the facts of the backstory confusing. I think this one needs to be rewritten for a longer length. Oh, and am I missing the last paragraph or something because it just friggin ends. =)

Angels - What to say that hasn't been said? This is arguably the most well-crafted piece of the lot. Clearly a lot of thought and time was invested in this effort and it should be applauded. Perhaps it was the baby boiling that turned me off. Perhaps it was not understanding why Deke just didn't get a pain editor. Or perhaps it was how the Maulers seemed so over-the-top and Firefly Reaver-esque. Hell, even the ghouls in Redmond must avoid these fraggers. A little too "boogeymanish" it seems. At least the Reavers had some backstory reason for being psychotic "rape-em-to-death-and-wear-their-skin" nutjobs. Just my opinion. In the end, I appreciated the craftsmanship but not the story.

Inhuman - Another well-crafted story I just didn't care for. It was also a little confusing and portions had to be re-read a few times. Not sure if it was a word choice issue or if it was just late and my mind was too fuzzy. It also sucks when the bad guys really, really win.

Just my thoughts. =)
coolgrafix
Oddly enough, now that I've finished reading them all, the system won't let me vote. Says I have voted already. I remember clicking the button to "see the results only" but that must have disqualified me somehow. Well crap. Oh well. =(
mfb
looking at the results without voting counts as a null vote. it makes sure that your vote isn't affected by seeing what everyone else voted for.
Backgammon
Inhuman: Uhm, good story. Great story. I'm really pretty confused though. I got the general drift of it, but for a reason I can't pin down I could hardly follow what was going on at all. I have a suspicion it has something to do with sentences that are too long, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's very well written, but, yeah, confusing.

My top 3 are Angel, Inhuman and Jungle Fever.
SL James
Jungle Fever lost me at, "Kaplow, kaplow!"
coolgrafix
QUOTE (SL James)
Jungle Fever lost me at, "Kaplow, kaplow!"

lol
SL James
To me, writing out sounds is like writing foreign languages into a story: Don't.

Especially because, just like the last contest thread, someone does the latter only to have someone who speaks the language tell them they fucked it up.
coolgrafix
Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who hits something in a story and just can't get past it. =)
tisoz
Hey all! I've been busy with GenCon since last Wednesday and feel kind of sick today, but I wanted to see if people were open to a suggestion. It is kind of obvious from the poll that one story deserves a win. That author has already received his selected book when we met at GenCon (I wish it wasn't while I was busy GMing a game and could have visited.)

I am pleased with the quality and quantity of the entries this time and think there should be at least a second place winner and perhaps a third. If you agree and would like to help determine that outcome, I am thinking of opening another thread without a poll, but where posters could list their first, second and third place choices, as well as any comments about merit that may sway or influence the judge (me) as to why one is more deserving than another. You would be giving up some anonymity, but those that have given desired feedback already, have pretty much done so already.

I would leave Angels in this second vote for purposes of those of you that voted for other stories to win. I am thinking of counting a first place vote as 3 points, a second place vote as 2 points and a third place vote as 1 point and the top 3 totals win. I am wondering if there will be certain drop offs in points between stories and am hoping the top 3 stories have a sizeable lead over the rest. If there is a cluster of 4 top stories, I may be swayed to award even a 4th place finish. If they all wind up in a close cluster, I will likely revert to my usual ways of deciding for myself what I like while open to comment and persuasion. smile.gif

Sound Good?

coolgrafix
Not sure I'm understanding you exactly, but it's your contest! LOL =) Seems like a good idea to keep everything in this thread, though, but that's just me.
SL James
I'd vote for Inhuman to be the second-place winner.
tisoz
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
Not sure I'm understanding you exactly, but it's your contest! LOL =) Seems like a good idea to keep everything in this thread, though, but that's just me.

I was quite pleased with the quality of the submissions and think more than one warrants an award.

Basically voting for a second or more place finisher to be awarded. Giving those that voted for Angels a chance to express their opinion. (That is over half the people who took the time to respond, and their opinion might influence the shape of the current poll results when not counting Angels.)

Starting another thread is partly due to how long this one takes to load and perhaps alerting those that already read and voted (and are avoiding the long load time) that their opinion is still desired in awarding other submissions. I can post links at the beginning and end of this thread to the proposed thread, and link the proposed thread back here.

QUOTE (SL James)
I'd vote for Inhuman to be the second-place winner.

1st and 3rd? I'm assuming Angels #1, but everyone knows how "ass u me" breaks down.
SL James
In the context of the first contest:

1. Angels
2. Inhuman
3. There is no 3.

For the second round:

1. Inhuman
tisoz
QUOTE (SL James)

1. Angels
2. Inhuman
3. There is no 3.

For the second round:

1. Inhuman

No third, not even, you know, that one?
Zolhex
Angels [ 13 ] [59.09%]
Inhuman [ 3 ] [13.64%]
Curtains [ 2 ] [9.09%]

Wouldn't this be the winners as far as the number of votes go.
tisoz
QUOTE (Casazil)
Angels [ 13 ] [59.09%]
Inhuman [ 3 ] [13.64%]
Curtains [ 2 ] [9.09%]

Wouldn't this be the winners as far as the number of votes go.

Kind of depends on if those that voted for Angels agree. Those that did not vote for Angels got to express their opinion and their opinion has already been shown to differ from the majority. What caused about 60% of the voters to choose Angels, might cause them to choose a story other than the current second and third place stories.

If it turns out everyone agrees those are the top three stories, so be it.

And btw, I'm emailing you those tss, looks like it's taking another half hour to go. Slow dial up.
SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 13 2006, 11:08 PM)

1. Angels
2. Inhuman
3. There is no 3.

For the second round:

1. Inhuman

No third, not even, you know, that one?

Nope.
mfb
Angels and Inhuman are my top two picks. Another Night in Poland gets my vote for third.
tisoz
Here is a link to the more winners thread.

It will make tabulating the vote easier for my lazy self.
Critias
Hey, Tisoz, any idea when the authors'll be posted for these puppies?
tisoz
Authors credited.
knasser
QUOTE (tisoz)
Authors credited.

Well, bugger. I voted for MFB! eek.gif

wink.gif

How come SL James had two entries in there?
Critias
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 22 2006, 03:11 PM)
Authors credited.

wink.gif

'Cause he submitted two stories?
knasser
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 23 2006, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Aug 22 2006, 03:11 PM)
Authors credited.

wink.gif

'Cause he submitted two stories?

Well okay. That answer is factually correct. Where I'm coming from is a preconception that in a competition, each entrant would only submit a single story. That said, it's not an advantage to submit more than one in a story competition as those who like your style will divide their votes between both.
coolgrafix
Ah, but if one totally sucks then you actually INCREASE the liklihood that your other one will be voted for! =)

Hey, if I had other stories in the hopper I might have sent them in also. I think there was some discussion about multiple entries early in the contest and it wasn't a problem.

I'm still waitiing to see if there was a second place awarded. If someone has been awarded second place already, and is reading this, please say something. =)
emo samurai
Critias, your story was really, really good. Very original story construction and exposition, and you did a great job of creating the Barrens. It's a wonder none of your submissions was ever accepted by FanPro. :.(... (The periods are tears)

You should set up a dedicated fiction page. I heard you submitted a crapload of stories, and I'd like to see some of them. smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 23 2006, 10:29 AM)
Well okay. That answer is factually correct. Where I'm coming from is a preconception that in a competition, each entrant would only submit a single story. That said, it's not an advantage to submit more than one in a story competition as those who like your style will divide their votes between both.

Well, it's an incorrect preconception. Tisoz's contests always allowed for multiple entries.

That said, the only reason I submitted the second "story" (We'll Meet Again) was because this contest has dragged out long enough and I wanted to kickstart the actual contest and tisoz needed one more submission.

I submitted Another Night in Poland back in like February, which is also why by the time the contest finally came around I had completely forgotten (until it was posted) that I sent tisoz an obviously unedited draft of Poland by mistake instead of the cleaned-up one that I have. I wrote that story more than a year ago (like Critias said, as a prologue to a EuroWars campaign that never materialized) and hadn't looked at it in months when I cut & pasted the file to DS.

As for We'll Meet Again, some peoples' comments were dead on. It's not a closed story. It is an interlude I wrote for one of my campaigns, and the closest one I had that was guaranteed to be 100% canon-compatible. The rest of the story has been (and continues to be) played on out Shadowland for the last ten months. But I was more concerned with moving this forward than going through 20 different archives of runs and fiction that already exist to give the full story.

As for whether it's an advantage or not, since my submissions received no votes between them I don't think it particularly matters.

As for Crit, there's a good reason why that's not the case with official Shadowrun webfic. But he does have many of his stories archived on Shadowland, as do I, including links to the fiction he wrote for Iron Kingdoms which he may have parlayed into a gig writing for Privateer Press.
Critias
Critias, your story was really, really good. Very original story construction and exposition, and you did a great job of creating the Barrens. It's a wonder none of your submissions was ever accepted by FanPro. :.(... (The periods are tears)

Thanks, I'm glad folks liked it. For once it wasn't something based on one of my own characters (or anyone else's, really), I just had a weird idea for a story and started writing -- the only angle I'd had originally in mind was "man, drug abuse sucks in Shadowrun," an everything else kind of grew from there. It seemed like an Elf would be a good target for rapid deterioration (to hit home the "golden boy" image), and I thought the selling-off-his-own-chrome would be a powerful spin on the usual drug-abuse weight loss. All in all, I was very happy when I was finished writing it up later that afternoon.

Oh, and I've only submitted one story to FanPro for on-line publication, and it's really neither here nor there why it didn't get posted -- their editor at the time apparently didn't like it, so it's a done deal. I'm content taking all Tisoz's old first edition books, right now. wink.gif

You should set up a dedicated fiction page. I heard you submitted a crapload of stories, and I'd like to see some of them.

The easiest place to get all my fiction together would be over on Shadowland, under Main/User Pages/Talondel/Fiction. I've got a dedicated folder over there with all my various stuff -- some Rokugan, some Forgotten Realms, Warhammer 40k, all my various Shadowrun, and a link to (as James mentioned) my fairly long-running Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms stuff. I've posted a lot of the Shadowrun stuff here on DS before. I guess if there's interest I can throw another thread full o' links up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "submitted a crapload of stories" -- I've written a fair amount, but the only ones I've ever "submitted" anywhere have been the one I sent to Shadowrun itself (which isn't posted anywhere, and really no one but me, my wife, and the then-Shadowrun editor has seen), and the two that've been in Tisoz's contests (this one, and Rooftops), which DS has already had the chance to see.
emo samurai
Can't open it...
Critias
Can't open it? Shadowland itself? (a) do you have an account? (b) do you have javascript enabled?

Or is it a "I can't open that particular folder, after logging into Shadowland," which is a whole different ball o' wax?

Well, regardless, I guess I'll post a thread with a bunch of fiction links, later today or something. I could PM it to you, but I'm an attention whore at heart so I'd rather have other people read 'em, too, in case they're interested.
emo samurai
Folder. Can't open the folder... frown.gif
Critias
Huh. That's weird. I double checked the privs and they're all a-okay for "default access" to read. If you're on SL right now, come to genchat (click on the horrible gaping maw mouth button, third from the left).
emo samurai
It works!!!
Critias
QUOTE (emo samurai)
It works!!!

Of course it does -- after I posted every single one of them, right here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012