Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On The Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
zeb.hillard
I am ALL for gritty and lethal gameplay, but after fully reading through On The Run I was struck with the thought that it may be just a little too lethal for a beginning crew that isn't totally min-maxed to blow through the opposition. Did anyone else get this feeling?

I plan on running my group through it before starting them independently on the SR Missions and will most likely run it as printed, but I was just curious if any others have had experience GMing it and would like to make some comments?

EDIT: I'M AN IDIOT. My stipudity knows no bounds. On the Run, not First Run. Gah.
fool
I just got done gming OTR, and my team barely had any combat.
The things I found broken were more in the plot line. SPecifically- how are the team supposed to know that they have to get NABO's commlink to get the info they want ( I suppose that a character would know that but my players did not and pursued talking to him.) and how were they supposed to know that the commlink would be upstairs in the dressing room. I'd think that the commlink would be on the person at all times.
The other major flaw I found in it is the mechanic of Data Search overriding the need for any contact legwork. The mage in the group was the hacker too (kind of) and had a data search of 4 and program 5 so could buy 20 successes on an extended test. That meant that I had to subtract dice form his pool in order to limit the number of times he could roll.
The other problem of course was that they pissed of their Johnson by selling out (that meant that they didn't have to die in the finale.) I suppose that that should mean that they never work in this town again, but I think that it will mean that they just get screwed by johnsons more often. grinbig.gif
booklord
No,

I felt that on the run was more beginning level.
For my player group I felt the need to "beef" up the opposition.

They then completed the run without getting into a single fight.
And they wouldn't even consider selling out their Mr. Johnson.
Shrike30
The only situations in that scenario that I could see getting really lethal are
[ Spoiler ]

Proper use of cover, half a brain, and making an effort to avoid trouble when they don't need to get into it makes this a pretty low-intensity adventure. I'm a fan, personally.
zeb.hillard
Wonderful.

My only real continuity problem with the mission is the "Nabo's commlink" connection, because it seems to be an odd leap of logic to make the proper assumptions (Unless of course he kept it active while it's upstairs, and they trace back to his PAN...hmm...). It's an assumption that would make me suspicious of a player reading the adventure ahead of time, personally.

The senario in the graveyard seems like it could go south, but with the divided attentions of each group, I can see where if they balance things well and try not to offend the buyers too badly, they could fight their way out.

Thanks for the comments.
Shrike30
If the commlink thing is too much for you, just keep it on him. Or keep some device he's got on him subscribed to it. The group's hacker should be able to spot that with a Matrix perception check.

At worst, they can try talking the info out of him.
Adam
Admin post: I edited the thread title to be "On The Run" instead of "First Run" -- two different books! smile.gif
Ancient History
That's good, 'cause I for one was damn confused.
Brahm
That just means the meds nurse is running late on her rounds today. Want to borrow some of mine?
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (Adam)
Admin post: I edited the thread title to be "On The Run" instead of "First Run" -- two different books! smile.gif

Thanks Adam, it was my mistake as I was starting to read a second book as I was commenting on the first.
fool
HOpefully no one is reading this who isn't supposed to. I don't know how to do things like make spoilers and fancy boxes around quotes.
But the way I dealt with the commlink issue was that when the pc's didn't figure out to go upstairs, I had the riot break out early, and as Nabo's bodyguards are hustling him out the back door (he's resisting of course and trying to keep peoforming... he's got hez,) his comm link falls off and one of the pc's slipped and fell on it while chasing him out the door.
As for the lethality of the finale, if they don't sell out, they get attacked is how i read it. Not once, but twice. Pretty fraggin deadly even for an ubermench team, and in this case I wouldn't give them the chance to use social skills to get out of it.
Tiger Eyes
Well, my group made one-game characters who were exceptionally silly, but not particularly lethal. Yet, they mowed through every scene, killing pretty much as many people as they could. Sheese! Then, the last scene... well, let's just say after succeeding at a certain perception test, they handed the stuff over and ran away with their tails tucked between their legs. Wimps. Alive, but total wimps. biggrin.gif

Actually, we all enjoyed the adventure. Easy to run as a GM and pretty fun for the players.
Critias
Hey, if the team's first run doesn't have them facing off against a team of Red Samurai and a Cyberzombie, it's not too dangerous. Have previous editions taught us nothing?!
WhiskeyMac
How bout a cyberzombie and a vampire? biggrin.gif Hehe, then that would be the ultimate first run ever!
ornot
I haven't run "On the Run" as yet, but my major concern with the plot is more along the lines that once they have the loot, there is no real incentive to poke around at it. However, the poking around at it is a large chunk of the adventure. The only other answer would be to have the Johnson be unavailable until such time as the other interested parties show up, or the characters get curious.

This may not be a problem for everyone, I just know that if I ran it with my regular players they'd want to take it straight to the Johnson and get paid.
James McMurray
My group went through it with no combat (well, none related to the run). They didn't investigate the disk, opting for the more professional route of taking it straight to the J.

That's one thing about published runs that makes portions of them useless to some groups: they always expect you to get nosy. Most players in my group tend to make characters that don' get nosy.
Charon
I don't think many experienced players would choose to even attend the secret meeting in the cemetary.

Assuming PC are just a little professional they'll know they can't burn J on their first run in Seattle! Especially since it would typically burn another contact. Typically a GM will use one of the PCs fixer to introduce them to Johnson. So if they screw up Johnson, they screw up their fixer who vouched for them.

It's a really, REALLY bad beginning for their career.

Assuming they realize they can't be selling out their employer for no valid reason on their first run, why would they even go listen to the offer?

What good can possibly come out of it?!

---

If the runner have avoided all confrontation thanks to savvy handling of the situation and are not going to the meet, I'll ambush them with the opposition runner team on the way to meeting J.

And if they have been so good that it's hard to conceive of how the runner team could possibly have tracked them down, I'll assume they tracked down Johnson instead and so the confrontation will occur in sight of their employer.

A good opportunity to get even higher in his good grace if they save his hide. Maybe they'll get the contact at 4/3 instead of 4/2 in this case, a suitable reward for having done everything in their power to get the job done without a fuss and professionnally and only be prevented from a total silent run by GM fiat in search of a climatic ending.
zeb.hillard
Thanks for your tips on the Commlink, everyone. Just need to get to the day of the game to see how smoothly things go now, I suppose!
Kyoto Kid
...was in one of the aforementioned groups involved in this. We basically had three characters, so avoiding combat whenever possible was a good thing. Unfortunately none of our characters had any contacts even remotely involved with the media or music & recording industry (which would have been a big help). This is why we fell back on having out hacker/mage using data search more.

Not to throw in a spoiler, I would have welcomed tangling with a cyberzombie over the actual NPC we met in the graveyard. Basically in the end it was one of those damned if you do - damned if you don't scenarios. you either piss of the Johnson (& possibly your fixer), or you risk getting...well those who have been through the final segment of the module may get my drift.

Needless to say time for KKs Hacker buddy contact to perform a little more than just a spoof of her datatrail.

coyote6
I was worried that my group might just turn over the chip (and thus dodge a big chunk of the adventure), but:

[ Spoiler ]
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (coyote6)
I was worried that my group might just turn over the chip (and thus dodge a big chunk of the adventure), but:

[ Spoiler ]

...nice solution I must say. I'd give bonus karma for that one.
Charon
QUOTE (coyote6)

[ Spoiler ]

Well, that's good roleplaying.

That's hardly professional in the traditional runner sense but good roleplaying.

You might want to think about steering your gang toward becoming permanent crew of a reasonably moral organisation who needs shadow work or something of the genre.

They don't seem quite cut out for the 'professional mercenaries' paradigm (nothing wrong with that). I mean, if morals didn't allow them to complete that mission, this is about to become a recurring problem. Like, every run.
WhiskeyMac
It doesn't say in the book but what would have if, and this is a big IF, you give the disk to the vampire, she gets attacked by the other team, you kill her and then give the disk to the Johnson? Do you basically get paid twice as well as getting rid of a big threat? Or is it not possible to kill the vampie (which is lame)?

I was just wondering because in my head, that's probably what my character and some of my player's characters would do. She's not the rightful owner and we do want to do good on our first run, but that is a lot of money she's throwing around.
ShadowDragon8685
I never got to play or DM for On the Run, though I tried. But here's my thoughts, anyway.

[ Spoiler ]
booklord
My advice would be to have it so the guy made a copy, and that the runners track that copy all the way to the cemetary. Then once in the cemetary the vampire asks for the copy the players already have because it want anyone else to have a copy.

This solves the motivation problem. It also solved another problem I had. My players took the guy with the disk and interrogated him until he told them everything he knew. "snooping" became irrelevant since they learned through other methods what was on the disk.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
It doesn't say in the book but what would have if, and this is a big IF, you give the disk to the vampire, she gets attacked by the other team, you kill her and then give the disk to the Johnson? Do you basically get paid twice as well as getting rid of a big threat? Or is it not possible to kill the vampie (which is lame)?

Nothing wrong with that solution. Of course she can be killed. It won't be easy, of course (especially for a team of newbie runners), but it's certainly possible.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Cheops
The vampire shouldn't be much of a problem for the group. Once the mage clears out the cannon fodder (which should be aided by the Shangri-La team) it just leaves the other runners and the vampire against the team.

The first game I ever ran for 4th edition had the team go up against a Wendigo. One character was an uber-mensch street sam and the other two were a technomancer PI and a native physmage. Needless to say the group was very underpowered but they were still able to take the wendigo down. And if you ask me Wendigo's are much more frightening in a fight than vampires are.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Cheops)
The vampire shouldn't be much of a problem for the group.  Once the mage clears out the cannon fodder (which should be aided by the Shangri-La team) it just leaves the other runners and the vampire against the team.

The first game I ever ran for 4th edition had the team go up against a Wendigo.  One character was an uber-mensch street sam and the other two were a technomancer PI and a native physmage.  Needless to say the group was very underpowered but they were still able to take the wendigo down.  And if you ask me Wendigo's are much more frightening in a fight than vampires are.

....Vampires have influence powers, so unless you are a mage with a boosted WP you are basically putty in their hands. The rules also state that the adept power of Spell Resistance or the Magic Resistance Quality do not work against citter or innate powrers.

Also, there oare only a few ways to destroy a Vamp. Since the characters are unwares she is one at the outset, they wouldn't be packing any wood weapons.

Of course since the encounter, KK now carries her Bokken as well as several wooden stakes a mallet and has garlic hanging all over her doss.

Where the hell is Buffy when you need her...?
booklord
Also, there oare only a few ways to destroy a Vamp. Since the characters are unwares she is one at the outset, they wouldn't be packing any wood weapons.

Read the Regeneration rules in SR4, they don't work the same way as in SR3. They're significantly weaker.

On average regeneration heals (Body+(Magic or Essense depending on how you interpret the rules)) / 3 boxes per turn.

In addition damage from combat spells, adept powers, weapon foci or called shots to the head cannot be healed through regeneration.

Under these rules.....

Just keep shooting her until her head falls off.
ShadowDragon
I ran the module for my first mission. I'm a new GM and my players are also new to SR4 (and SR in general), so I dumbed down the encounters to be safe. It was a good call too, because both the fight in the junkyard and the cemetary knocked out half the PCs. The cemetary fight I had to dumb down though because I didn't like how it's supposed to become a threeway fight to balance it - it just seems too contrived. The players had some trouble with the storyline, so I had to nudge them a few times, but nothing too bad. They didn't have the issues with Nabo's commlink like other posters reported.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (winterhawk11)
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)

Nothing wrong with that solution. Of course she can be killed. It won't be easy, of course (especially for a team of newbie runners), but it's certainly possible.

She works for others, so killing her is not getting rid of the threat - though you could get paid twice like this. It might also hurt your rep though. My PCs killed the vampire (without trying to get paid twice, they refused her), and I gave them a noteriety point for gaining a powerful enemy. I plan on using the people she works for in a future mission. If they tried to do the double pay thing, I might've given them two points of noteriety.
Charon
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Aug 5 2006, 08:36 PM)
My PCs killed the vampire (without trying to get paid twice, they refused her), and I gave them a noteriety point for gaining a powerful enemy. I plan on using the people she works for in a future mission. If they tried to do the double pay thing, I might've given them two points of noteriety.

You make that a real lose-lose situation.

If they betray their first Johnson on their first run they gain a notoriety point too, and rightfully so. So basically you were giving them notoriety no matter what. That kind of situation happens but I'd reserve it for more momentous occasions.

Beside, Risa the Vampire represents JetBlack. That's a 'powereful enemy' that would encourage other shadowy player to back away from the team a bit according to you? Well, I disagree.

"Should I deal with these guys, Mac?"
"They're new but I hear they didn't sell their employer when presented with a substantial offer."
"Good, Good. I like them already."
"But word on the street is they killed an unknown Vampire and as a result Jet Black is pissed at them."
"Jet Black? Rock star, died in 2045 Jet Black?"
"Yeah, that guy."
"Whoah, We don't touch them then. They are pissing of the dead! Next they are gonna make an enemy out of Elvis. What about Farrell's team? Lung and his triads are still calling for their heads or are they safe to use?"

rotate.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. JetBlack isn't known to be alive and not that powerful anyway. And his street gang barely register on the Seattle underworld scene. This couldn't possibly make the PCs contact very nervous (Or else they are due for retirement).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (booklord)
Read the Regeneration rules in SR4, they don't work the same way as in SR3.  They're significantly weaker.

On average regeneration heals (Body+(Magic or Essense depending on how you interpret the rules)) / 3 boxes per turn.

In addition damage from combat spells, adept powers, weapon foci or called shots to the head cannot be healed through regeneration.

Under these rules.....

Just keep shooting her until her head falls off.

...it's not so much the regeneration that bothers me as the influence spells she had. KK would have been brain fodder against her with only a 3 WP considering only one net success would be needed for a Mental Manipulation spell to work. The way things were set up, KK would not have even been able to get within striking range before she got zapped..

The unnerving part of all of this was that Risa made the initial contact with KK . That means she knows who KK is & where she lives etc. etc. etc. in spite of the adept having her Hacker buddy contact (Loyalty 6) covering her wireless ass every moment of the day and night.

As Fool mentioned above, it appeared should KK have turned the offer down, she would either be dead-dead or the walking dead.

coyote6
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
I mean, really... The music industry? What kind of non-metagamer takes such a useless contact?![/spoiler]

There were a few 1e & 2e SR adventures (Mercurial, One Stage Before, Dark Angel, ) that involved musicians, so maybe an old-school shadowrunner? smile.gif

Add in all the other entertainment media (sports, simsense, trideo, reporters, etc.), and entertainment industry contacts aren't bad ideas.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Aug 5 2006, 08:36 PM)
My PCs killed the vampire (without trying to get paid twice, they refused her), and I gave them a noteriety point for gaining a powerful enemy. I plan on using the people she works for in a future mission. If they tried to do the double pay thing, I might've given them two points of noteriety.

You make that a real lose-lose situation.

If they betray their first Johnson on their first run they gain a notoriety point too, and rightfully so. So basically you were giving them notoriety no matter what. That kind of situation happens but I'd reserve it for more momentous occasions.

Beside, Risa the Vampire represents JetBlack. That's a 'powereful enemy' that would encourage other shadowy player to back away from the team a bit according to you? Well, I disagree.

"Should I deal with these guys, Mac?"
"They're new but I hear they didn't sell their employer when presented with a substantial offer."
"Good, Good. I like them already."
"But word on the street is they killed an unknown Vampire and as a result Jet Black is pissed at them."
"Jet Black? Rock star, died in 2045 Jet Black?"
"Yeah, that guy."
"Whoah, We don't touch them then. They are pissing of the dead! Next they are gonna make an enemy out of Elvis. What about Farrell's team? Lung and his triads are still calling for their heads or are they safe to use?"

rotate.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. JetBlack isn't known to be alive and not that powerful anyway. And his street gang barely register on the Seattle underworld scene. This couldn't possibly make the PCs contact very nervous (Or else they are due for retirement).

Charon, I laughed at your dialog hehe

Yes, if you look at it that way it seems silly. I don't think word would get out that the PCs killed a musician groupy. What they would hear is that the team pissed off a faction of vampires by going out of their way to kill one of them; they noticed she was slowly regenerating so they removed her head to make sure she was dead, yet purposely let her lackies live to tell the tale. If the PCs let her live, ran away, covered their tracks, or didn't go to the graveyard in the first place, they would not have gotten a notoriety point.

Any organized vampire faction is a powerful group IMC. I think you're underestimating them - the book only hints at how powerful Jetblack and his people are. It never says he's not that powerful, infact it says " he can be an implaceable and deadly enemy if he is crossed." Risa herself is a grade 3 initiate! The only reason they're not major players in Seattle is because the nature of vampires is to be discret, which only makes them more powerful IMO. They're in the background pulling strings.

It's not the end of the world anyway. 1 point is a drop in the bucket in the long term. It's a warning, so that the players will think about how they act and know that their actions have consequences. I also wanted to foreshadow the posibility of a future plot hook.
booklord
While Jetblack might prove a dangerous enemy, his group is a rather secretive bunch. I doubt they'd advertise the fact that they plan to seek revenge against the runners. They'd be quiet about, let the runners get complacent, then strike when they least expect it.

As such I don't think a point of notoriety applies. Notoriety should only apply when you piss someone off enough that they start bad-mouthing you. When you betray a Mr. Johnson that's worth a point of notoriety because he bad-mouths you to his fellow Johnsons. But kill a vampire from a group almost noone knows exists? ( and those who do know won't talk fearing the vampire group would "silence" them ) I don't think so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not to say they couldn't get creative. JetBlack's group could go and slaughter a bunch a bunch of squatters and then spread the word the runners did it. Next they could hire a Mr. Johnson that the runners have never worked with to claim the group took his money and then refused to do a run for him. And finally murder a bunch of Lone Star officers and pin the murders on the runners. The runners' notoriety would be skyrocketing and they'd have a new major enemy with Lone Star.
Charon
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Aug 7 2006, 02:18 AM)
Yes, if you look at it that way it seems silly. I don't think word would get out that the PCs killed a musician groupy. What they would hear is that the team pissed off a faction of vampires by going out of their way to kill one of them; they noticed she was slowly regenerating so they removed her head to make sure she was dead, yet purposely let her lackies live to tell the tale. If the PCs let her live, ran away, covered their tracks, or didn't go to the graveyard in the first place, they would not have gotten a notoriety point.

Well, Jetblack is first and foremost a musician and while he wasn't portrayed as harmless in the original adventure, it was obvious pissing him off wasn't like pissing off the mafia, both in terms of danger and in terms of notoriety.

But you can play him as ruthless and powerful as you like, especially if the players never heard of him before anyway (re-using Jetblack is a somewhat obscure nod to old timers).

While I still don't think this warrant a notoriety point because the secretive nature of JetBlack, the PCs did seem to go out of their way to piss him in an optimal fashion.

If it seems feasible for JetBlack's gang to track them down, you can organize a messy retaliation and that could be worth a notoriety point (who wants to deal with runner who seems to attract this kind of attention?). He risks exposing himself if he takes it too far, tough, but hey, you could chronicle the emergence on the Seattle Underworld scene of a vampire gang immersed in the goblin rock scene with a secretive leader. Why not. It's your JetBlack and there's a known gang of ghouls already roaming the streets!
Gomez
My group decided to terrorize and kidnap Marli Bremerton. eek.gif (Just because she lied to them after they asked to see her in the flesh. She said that she was not in Seattle at the moment and could only talk to them by holograph.)

I am still going over the possible repercussions.

winterhawk11
QUOTE (Gomez)
My group decided to terrorize and kidnap Marli Bremerton.  eek.gif (Just because she lied to them after they asked to see her in the flesh. She said that she was not in Seattle at the moment and could only talk to them by holograph.)

If you're going by the canon adventure, that is going to piss off JetBlack in a way that failing to obtain the disk won't do. Marli is a close friend and one of the few people out there who know he's still alive and know what he is. He won't take kindly to her having been screwed around with. And if they kill her--that's going to get them a very angry multi-level-initiate vampire and his buddies as enemies.

Have fun. smile.gif

(Of course, you might see it differently--that's just my take when I wrote the adventure.)
Charon
Some players have a keen sense of what is profitable and what is not.

They'll bug the game down trying to loot everything that isn't nailed to the floor and then turn around and turn around to do idiotic things that can only cost them in the long and even short run.

It reminds me of one the time my PCs chased a NPC through downtown, starting in a hig class restaurant. They cornered her and extracted the necessary information (She was complicit in a crime).

Then as they are going to leave, one PC declare he kills her. ''I leave no witnesses''.

No witnessess? He had started the chase in a high class restaurant. There were dozens of witnesses incluing security cameras. If they they had left that high society woman go and she wouldn't have cooperated with the police because she was neck deep in a scandal. But they killed her and what do you know, they have their face plastered in the news. ''Terror at (Insert fancy restaurant name)''

Weee.

The Upside is that most other PCs weren't too keen on the idea and when things went to hell they knew for sure it wasn't smart. They've played smarter since then and it feels more like an espionnage movie than a comedy these days which is good.
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (winterhawk11)
(Of course, you might see it differently--that's just my take when I wrote the adventure.)

If you don't mind a question or two, then...

What logical steps did you believe the 'runners would follow to find the information on Nabo's commlink (And the location of the commlink itself)?

...and...

Is it just natural curiousity that leads you to believe all runners will decrypt the disc before giving a heads up to their Johnson about it's possession?

This is all I really have for now, just musings from an interested person.

Gomez
QUOTE (winterhawk11 @ Aug 7 2006, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Gomez)
My group decided to terrorize and kidnap Marli Bremerton.  eek.gif (Just because she lied to them after they asked to see her in the flesh. She said that she was not in Seattle at the moment and could only talk to them by holograph.)

If you're going by the canon adventure, that is going to piss off JetBlack in a way that failing to obtain the disk won't do. Marli is a close friend and one of the few people out there who know he's still alive and know what he is. He won't take kindly to her having been screwed around with. And if they kill her--that's going to get them a very angry multi-level-initiate vampire and his buddies as enemies.

Have fun. smile.gif

That’s how I see it. JetBlack is really pissed off and concerned for Marli's safety. Now he tried to negotiate for the disc and Marli's safe return through he agents in the cemetery. Though the players turned down the offer and that’s when the Shangri-la group attacked. At first my players thought that the Shangri-la and JetBlack groups were together though it soon became apparent that they were fighting each other.

They killed Risa but left her body. I gave a clue that she was a vampire to one of the players but he didn't follow up with it so she will regenerate and report back to JetBlack.
Gomez
QUOTE (zeb.hillard @ Aug 7 2006, 10:16 AM)
Is it just natural curiousity that leads you to believe all runners will decrypt the disc before giving a heads up to their Johnson about it's possession?

My grouped called the Johnson and said they had the disc before they tried to decrypt it. They were really pressed for time to figure out what was on the disc before their planned meet with the Johnson.

They even called the Johnson to ask for more time.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (booklord)
While Jetblack might prove a dangerous enemy, his group is a rather secretive bunch. I doubt they'd advertise the fact that they plan to seek revenge against the runners. They'd be quiet about, let the runners get complacent, then strike when they least expect it.

As such I don't think a point of notoriety applies. Notoriety should only apply when you piss someone off enough that they start bad-mouthing you. When you betray a Mr. Johnson that's worth a point of notoriety because he bad-mouths you to his fellow Johnsons. But kill a vampire from a group almost noone knows exists? ( and those who do know won't talk fearing the vampire group would "silence" them ) I don't think so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not to say they couldn't get creative. JetBlack's group could go and slaughter a bunch a bunch of squatters and then spread the word the runners did it. Next they could hire a Mr. Johnson that the runners have never worked with to claim the group took his money and then refused to do a run for him. And finally murder a bunch of Lone Star officers and pin the murders on the runners. The runners' notoriety would be skyrocketing and they'd have a new major enemy with Lone Star.

People know that vampires exist. They're not secretive that they exist, they're secretive about who they are and what they do. Word got out that my PCs pissed off a group of vampires, and that they might be a target in the future. If they're a target to a group of vampires, does that mean they're less likely to finish a mission Johnson gives them? You bet.
booklord
People know that vampires exist. They're not secretive that they exist, they're secretive about who they are and what they do. Word got out that my PCs pissed off a group of vampires, and that they might be a target in the future. If they're a target to a group of vampires, does that mean they're less likely to finish a mission Johnson gives them? You bet.

Without context the word that a bunch of vampires are after the characters is meaningless. It could even be a reason for street cred. Story is this vampire group tried to intimidate the them into giving up this disk, but they stayed loyal to their Johnson. Things got a little messy and the runners taught those bloodsuckers a lesson they won't soon forget. Put in that context it's a positive.

In any event the biggest reason it won't come up is because the questions won't stop with who the runners pissed off.

"Rumor has it there's a group of vampires gunning for them."
"How did that happen?"
"Here in Seattle"
"There's a group of vampires here in Seattle?"
"How'd they piss them off?"
"Apparently they got into a fight over an old recording of Jet Black songs"
"Jet Black? Didn't he disappear several years ago?"
"yep. I wonder what the connection between Jet Black and a group of vampires is?"

Jet Black doesn't want that can of worms opened. He lets the word out that he's gunning for the runners and that word may come back to haunt him as curious folks try to figure out why. Once they find out that there was a vampire in Seattle with an interest in undiscovered Jet Black songs they might start coming up with some interesting theories.

Gaining notoriety requires that the runners do something makes others want to bad mouth them. Betray a Johnson and he bad mouths you to other johnsons. Get seen Killing needlessly and you get bad-mouthed by folks who think you're an out of control killer. But in Risa's case.... you've got the Shangra-La team and the vampire's team. Jet Black doesn't want it known there are vampires in Seattle interested in Jet Black music so he'll make sure Risa's team keeps quiet. The Shadowrunners hired by Shangra-La probably aren't going to make the connection. That only leaves the runner team to spread the word they've tangled with a vampire. And you can be sure the runners would put a postive spin on it.
Charon
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Aug 7 2006, 11:15 AM)

If you decide JetBlack is at the helm of a vengeful group of Vampires, one whose actions is suspected in some circles of the shadows, sure. Go ahead with one notoriety point.

But it's far from obvious just from the run that he has even a single other vampire acolyte beside Risa. If he had a bunch of them, it's likely there would have been at least one other vampire at the cemetery instead of a bunch of useless flunkie.

This is actually an issue you need to have an answer for when inquisitive players will wonder where all this firepower is suddenly coming from. Two more vampires in the cemetery and there would be no need for revenge because JetBlack's troops would have won. But presumably JetBlack didn't have two more vampire to spare and so presumably he isn't heading a vampire cabal.

If you are creative with the answers to this question it can work. But you probably have to change JetBlacks objectives. You don't gather a significant group of vampire to you for the sole purpose of creating rock music. Even Lestat wouldn't do that! wink.gif

There is such a thing as a Vampire Conspiracy, btw. Did you know? 'Threats' and 'Prime Runner' contain most info about it. Their objectives don't have much to do with JetBlack's and are instead suitably sinister. Who knows, perhaps JetBlack is a small cog in their machine after all. Perhaps the music he wanted to recover bears striking similarity to stuff he produced after his death in one way or another and it could help ID his current location and organization, which in turn would hinder the plans of 'The Vampire Conspiracy ™' for Seattle. At first it was just Jet Black and his lieutenant but now the Conspiracy is sending back up and Jet Black decides to use some of these assets for personal vendetta and because he worries the PCs might piece things together. Something like that. Or something completely different. Either way, it got to be about far more than music!

Because without creative tinkering with the basic facts, having JetBlack as an enemy is not that a big a deal. It's worth an encore story at some point but I'm sure they'll get far worse in their career than an angsty (un)dead rock star. And then what? You hand out 3 notoriety point a pop when they tangle with the Yakuzas and 5 when they do an ops that slight the honor of a Tir prince with accesss to the Ghosts?
winterhawk11
The way I see it, whether JetBlack has one vampire or a whole herd of them at his disposal is up to the individual GMs. The only thing to keep in mind for sure is that he's been a vampire since 2048--22 years--and he's bound to have initiated a few times between then and now. He's a powerful guy, but he's got his own agenda. I think that the likelihood of his taking an interest in revenge against the runners depends on how they handle the situation. Even if he doesn't end up with the disk, I can see arguments on both sides of the "will he seek revenge" issue--it all depends on how the individual GM interprets his character (and what the GM wants to do with the campaign).

Don't forget, too, that he's trying to revive his career (this time, as a Matrix idoru, so he doesn't have to reveal that he's still "alive"), so it's probably in his best interest not to draw too much attention to the JetBlack persona.

Like I mentioned above, though, I think the only thing that would seriously piss him off and make him a very dangerous enemy is if the team kills or seriously injures Marli. The release of the disk is annoying, but the death/wanton injury of a very close friend is going to have repercussions.
Cheops
May I also point out that in Shadowrun when you talk about vampires you are actually talking about a bunch of diseased Humans. This isn't Vampire: The Requiem where Vampires are powerful and a force to be reckoned with. If I were GM the conversation would be more like this.

"They're having some trouble lately with a bunch of vampires."
"Oh really? Didn't realize there were still some around in Seattle."
"Apparently there are."
"Huh. Well they didn't get infected or anything did they?"
"None of them are showing signs of HMHVV so I don't know."
"Well maybe we should give them a pass until this whole thing blows over."
ShadowDragon
lol you obviously haven't read the stat block for vampires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012