Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Casting Rules Disagreement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
eightball1011
This week we had our first run using new SR4 rules. I am playing a mage, so naturally I spent days reading over all the rules for mages before the game. There became a disagreement between the GM and I about how a certain spell was cast. I had hoped that someone on here could help resolve this issue before the next gaming session.
I was casting the spell Influence using 10 dice (spellcasting 5 + magic 5). I had 4 hits! The GM, reading the casting rules from SR4, decided that it was a successful cast. Then I had to re-roll those dice so that the Defender could make an opposed test. (This is where the problem came in) I thought that he would use my 4 hits to roll his Opposed test against, but apparently the rules seem to state a separate Opposed test. This doesn't seem correct. Apparently he only believes these rules to apply to Manipulation and Illusion spells. Can anyone set us straight? Do we have to re-roll so the defender can oppose? or do the original hits count as the target?

Thanks in advance.
James McMurray
The original hits are used for the opposed resistance test.
m00p
The Game Master can certainly organize spellcasting that way, if he likes, but that makes it slanted against you in that you will be more likely to glitch. The way the rules are described, the Opposed Test is one-in-the-same with the test to cast the spell. Just like combat, if you roll no hits with your attack, your attack strictly failed; if you roll zero hits while casting a spell, it fizzles, but if it is successful, than it is successful to (number of hits) degree, and must be opposed as such.
Aaron
Tell your GM that we pointed you to the rules on page 202 under "Mental Manipulations." You might want to tell him that you thought he was right until we pointed those rules out, to help smooth things over with him; you don't want an annoyed GM.
eightball1011
Thanks everyone. I couldnt prove it, but I knew I was right. Thanks Aaron for the page reference. I appreciate it everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012