Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell design= useless?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
It takes too fragging long, and it doesn't make spells easier to learn.
Serbitar
But you get your own spells, with exactly the effects you want! Thats the point.
Moon-Hawk
You got your freaking spell design rules and you're STILL bitching!? emo, you have your head so far in the gift-horse's mouth you're peeking out its ass.
emo samurai
I'll shorten the interval, with an option to pull one out of the metaplanes the way you would an ally formula. I think that's good enough.
booklord
I always thought the purpose of the spell design section was to provide rules for spells the designers didn't think of.

So when a player wants to learn and cast.....

Giant Rolling Snowball

you have some base rules to figure out drain, etc from.

The rules for time to learn would have to be atrocious before it would be a problem for me. I don't have Street Magic yet. Could you give an example of the time to design a spell compared to just learn one?
Brahm
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You got your freaking spell design rules and you're STILL bitching!? emo, you have your head so far in the gift-horse's mouth you're peeking out its ass.

But...but...it just isn't AWESOME enough! Emo's funny with his standards that way. biggrin.gif
stevebugge
I love the design options, anything which allows for creative wackiness is a plus!

@booklord, have you statted the Giant Rolling Snowball?
booklord
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I love the design options, anything which allows for creative wackiness is a plus!

@booklord, have you statted the Giant Rolling Snowball?

No. I just thought of the "Giant Rolling Snowball" when I wrote that post. I won't even have Street Magic til my pre-order arrives at my local game store.
Shrike30
We just need to wait until emo figures out that the elemental effect he attaches to a combat spell could consist of powered armor showing up and blowing the crap out of whatever it was he was targeting.
LilithTaveril
Um, if the times weren't long and limited, what would be the point? Why bother designing spells at all when any child could do it? What, you want to buying the next novahot bot killer from some teenage punk who simply decided to use his library card? What's next? You want seven year olds to be designing nextgen milspec weapons?

It may take a long time, and it may not make spells easier to learn, but when you have a spell that can strip the secretary of all of her clothes, set her boss on fire, electrocute both of his security guards, and create an exit by blowing up part of a wall, it's worth it. Even if it does take you three years to create the spell.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
What, you want to buying the next novahot bot killer from some teenage punk who simply decided to use his library card? What's next? You want seven year olds to be designing nextgen milspec weapons?

Are you familiar with emo samurai?
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 10 2006, 12:42 PM)
What, you want to buying the next novahot bot killer from some teenage punk who simply decided to use his library card? What's next? You want seven year olds to be designing nextgen milspec weapons?

Are you familiar with emo samurai?

I've been reading some of his posts. Besides, every once in awhile, I like to let my bad side out.
booklord
Even if it does take you three years to create the spell.

Well that would qualify as atrocious. I'm actually inclined to be quite generous when it comes to spell design times. ( Although not so generous I'd make them less than normal spell learning times ) After all if the player goes through the effort to design his own spell then he normally has something interesting and unique in mind.

Interesting and unique are almost always good for the game.
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (booklord)
Even if it does take you three years to create the spell.

Well that would qualify as atrocious. I'm actually inclined to be quite generous when it comes to spell design times. ( Although not so generous I'd make them less than normal spell learning times ) After all if the player goes through the effort to design his own spell then he normally has something interesting and unique in mind.

Interesting and unique are almost always good for the game.

I only specified that length of time because of all of the effects my sample spell has in it. I'd say a good ten to fifteen individual spells combined into one. Depends on how much the secretary is wearing. biggrin.gif
Lebo77
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)

I only specified that length of time because of all of the effects my sample spell has in it. I'd say a good ten to fifteen individual spells combined into one. Depends on how much the secretary is wearing. biggrin.gif

What is the drain on a spell like that anyway?
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (Lebo77)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 10 2006, 01:01 PM)

I only specified that length of time because of all of the effects my sample spell has in it. I'd say a good ten to fifteen individual spells combined into one. Depends on how much the secretary is wearing.  biggrin.gif

What is the drain on a spell like that anyway?

Well, if you fail, you instantly die... I'd suggest innitiating a good six times before casting it.

But, hey, what a way to leave a lasting mark on the Johnson who stabbed you in the back wink.gif
eightball1011
could anybody quote the rules for spell creation, I have a runner who wants to do that but I have to wait another 2 weeks for the Street Magic book. *wish I had highspeed internet for PDF* frown.gif
Slithery D
Muahaha! I just thought of the best control manipulation spell not provided for in any previous SR book: Self Control, a modified Control Emotions that keeps you on an even keel. Figure out some way to have it protect against Fear and similar powers if you must; I just want some way to let characters with mentor spirits avoid exploding or acting like mad men at socially inopportune moment. Finally, your Adversary black magician can join the Marines...

Customize it for your particular phobia/quirk, let each net hit provide an extra die on your Wis + Cha test, knock some drain off, put it on a sustaining focus. Voila.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (eightball1011)
could anybody quote the rules for spell creation, I have a runner who wants to do that but I have to wait another 2 weeks for the Street Magic book. *wish I had highspeed internet for PDF* frown.gif

I'm pretty sure the Freelancers would hate that. Not only that, but the rules for spell creation would take up a lot of room. It's quite long.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (eightball1011)
could anybody quote the rules for spell creation

No. Pasting a rules system in its entirety is pretty much copyright infringement, and may lead to decreased sales of the book.

Why do you hate Shadowrun so much that you want to see FanPro/Wizkids go bankrupt? sarcastic.gif
Samaels Ghost
I doubt anyone's going to buy the book for spell creation rules. But yeah, once one rule gets posted, lots more follow.

If you really want them, e-mail someone that seems to have the PDF to send you it. At least that way you're not hurting SM sales that much. It sounds like you're still buying the book, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I meant the spell creation section, not the entire PDF, btw
Frag-o Delux
Yeah, you are a shadowrunner, dont publicly ask someone to help you cheat and steal, do it privately.
Jaid
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Yeah, you are a shadowrunner, dont publicly ask someone to help you cheat and steal, do it privately.

lol.... someone send this to the clue files or something =D
hyzmarca
QUOTE (booklord)
I always thought the purpose of the spell design section was to provide rules for spells the designers didn't think of.

Well, that would certainly be more useful than making up spells that are already in the book.

(I actualy did this once. I wanted a touched ranged stun spell so I used the MitS rules to create Stuntouch. Several hours later I noticed that stuntouch was already in the book with the exact same stats that I calculated.)
Slithery D
Incidentally, what's the dumbest high drain area effect elmental combo combat spell anyone's come up with? I rather liked that they replaced Hellblast with Napalm this time around. The water/fire combo is both slightly more useful and cooler than fire/blast. (And they got the drain right. Which edition was it that listed Hellblast at (F/2)+6?
FrankTrollman
I'm pretty sure the Freelancers would hate that. Not only that, but the rules for spell creation would take up a lot of room. It's quite long.

I doubt they all would. Techno anarchism and copyright infringement have a... history... together. I would think that many of the freelancers for Shadowrun would be in favor of the Pirate Party.

From a completely different standpoint, posting enough of the Spell Design rules to get people talking about the section would probably increase sales of the book rather than decrease it. Forum discussions about decent and/or useful rules rarely cause people to decide that they don't want/need a book.

For ecample: let's make a spell called Rolling Snowball. wink.gif

Rolling Snowball (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P * Range: Special * Damage: P * Duration: S * DV (F/2) + 4
You create a temporary 2 meter diameter sphere of ice and snow that rolls around and crushes things. The tremendous sphere is created touching your body and begins rolling around at a speed equal to your Magic attribute in meters per combat turn for as long as you susain the spell. You may roll the snowball up hills or even upstairs, but if you ever lose line of sight to the sphere it immediately stops. Any creature or object that the center of the sphere passes within one meter of may be hit as per a normal indirect ice element combat spell. You may not attempt to hit the same creature more than once per initiative pass with the ball.

There, it's Physical, Elemental (Ice), does physical damage, it's technically an area of effect, but it has a limited range.

That's +1 +2 +0 +2 -1 or DV (F/2) + 4.

Rolling Snowball, it's just that easy.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012