Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Magic reviews?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
You heard me.

What does everyone else think?
kigmatzomat
Would you care to give those of us whose FLGS have yet to receive them a decent capsule review of the book? Parsing through the other thread is a p.i.t.a.
LilithTaveril
I give this thread a -9.7 due to use of leet. And that's on a scale of 5.

As for me, I think you should give a full review. Like the previous poster said.
Jrayjoker
I am currently 1/3 of the way through it and I am pleased at the production quality and the fact that nothing appears broken, or underpowered, or overpowered.

Large kudos to everyone involved.
Brahm
I've gone through about 60% of the book, although not in a linear fashion. So I can't really comment on parts of it, especially The Awakened World chapter. My biggest quibble so far is a small one, what I see as confusing wording for the Adept's Power Throw. On the flip side I see some excellent and creative defusing of some old bugaboos without resorting to just flat out cutting, such as converting Geasa to a Negative Quality and the new implementation of Magic Loss and Adept Centering.

All in all I concur with Jrayjoker, excellent book. Outshines the BBB in quality. I'll save up the full round of kudos till I finish it, though I don't see any reason to expect that it isn't coming.
Mr. Unpronounceable
Biggest negative to the book - power creep.

3 of the 4 new spirit types (available only to the new traditions, not a hermetic or shaman) have access to the "Magical Guard" power (effectively counterspelling) - NO hermetic or shamanic spirits have this power.

Otherwise, pretty good.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
Biggest negative to the book - power creep.

3 of the 4 new spirit types (available only to the new traditions, not a hermetic or shaman) have access to the "Magical Guard" power (effectively counterspelling) - NO hermetic or shamanic spirits have this power.

Otherwise, pretty good.

Not that big a deal, really. Magical Guard is not quite counterspelling - it's a spirit power that has the same game effect as counterspelling. Which means that like any other spirit power, it must be maintained and the spirit can't do anything else very useful while it's using it. So you take summoning drain to be able to protect some people you don't want to keep LOS on and protect yourself, and maybe get a couple of extra dice, too. Big whoop.

And although these things are hard to directly compare, I'd say as a matter of basic powers the new spirits are offensively weaker than the standard six. You have to dip into their optional powers before they become useful as much more than roving spell protection in a combat situation.
Thufar_Hawat
I've had a quick look through it all and am about 50% thru reading carefully. So far a big thumbs up 8 or 9 out of 10.

I just hope Arsenal and Unwired will be as good.

JRDobbs
At about the halfway point through I have to say that SM has rekindled my interest in SR4, after the new BBB almost completely killed it. Suffice it to say, I'm impressed. I particularly like the focus on new flavors for traditions and the focus on the grittier side of magic--particularly in the corporate context.

My biggest complaint is that many of the game effects are percentile-based (i.e., an ordeal reduces the cost of initiation by 20%, rounded down). Given that no other element in the SR4 system is percent-based, it seems a bit jarring.
HappyDaze
My biggest complaint is that many of the game effects are percentile-based (i.e., an ordeal reduces the cost of initiation by 20%, rounded down). Given that no other element in the SR4 system is percent-based, it seems a bit jarring.
How about Essence cost for custom bioware/cyberware?
James McMurray
Those aren't percentile, they're decimal. You don't lose 20% of your essence for installing something, you lose 0.3.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Those aren't percentile, they're decimal. You don't lose 20% of your essence for installing something, you lose 0.3.

i think he is referring to alpha, beta, etc. which is percentile based.
James McMurray
Doh! Yeah.
knasser

I haven't finished it yet, I'm about 40% through it due to limited time. But so far I would give it 10/10.

I was going to give it 9/10 because I really think it's that good. But then to be fair, I asked myself what could be better and I honestly couldn't think of anything. I asked myself what I didn't like and I came up with a mild conflict between the way I want to portray the metaplanes and the way they're described in the book which is purely personal and easily omitted from a game anyway, and that I haven't quite made up my mind on what I think of the Islamic Magic section, though I don't find it offensive and it's well written.

Without going into specific content, the book is beautifully laid out and polished, clearly written, has a good balance (and separation) of fluff and rules, is very clear with almost no ambiguity in the rules that I have found so far, easy to read and delightfully dense.

In terms of content itself, there is obviously a lot of stuff from previous books such as Magic in the Shadows but this isn't a problem for me and I doubt for most people. It's all been rethought and rewritten. You want it. There is also a lot of new stuff. lots of variety and lots of imagination.

So as I say - 10 out of 10. It sounds outrageous but there's nothing in the book so far that I can really point to and say this should have been done better. The best that I can come up with is that some of the narrative introductions aren't amazing. You could ask for more artwork as there's not so much, but that would eat up word space and they've used every available inch. You definitely cannot say that you don't get value for money.

Get it. Enjoy. Manaball shit up.
Geekkake
I hate friggin' magicians. I'd be playing Cyberpunk 2020 except that I can't condone any game system where hair bands are character classes. Nevertheless, I wanted to play a mage after reading it.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Geekkake)
I hate friggin' magicians. I'd be playing Cyberpunk 2020 except that I can't condone any game system where hair bands are character classes. Nevertheless, I wanted to play a mage after reading it.

you know there is a V3 of cyberpunk out now, right?
the classes are gone. alltho now you have altcults that have diffrent distinctive techs nyahnyah.gif
(alltho you can build up the "giri" to get hold of it even tho you started out in a diffrent altcult)
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Geekkake)
I can't condone any game system where hair bands are character classes.

You do know that "Rocker" was one of the character archtypes in the first two editions of Shadowrun, right?
SL James
Shhhhhh. You'll ruin his undeserved air of righteous superiority.
emo samurai
KILL THE BEAST!!! (I mean Geekake)
Zen Shooter01
A big, big sigh of relief.

When 4th ed. came out, a giant and finely textured world went pretty much out the window - Shadowrun was reduced in size to one volume. And the BBB could only give us an idea what 4th ed. was like. We couldn't know until the core rulebooks started coming out.

I am thrilled with what I know.

The densely packed Street Magic is worth every cent of its $25 PDF price. There's a wealth of new character options sufficient to keep your magicians going for the next five years. It broadens the scope of 4th ed. enormously. It a great book, and I hope it is the mold for the core books to follow.

My complaint is that 4th ed. came out a year ago, and only now are we seeing the first of the core rulebooks. RH and CE are useful, but the core books - Street Magic - is a lot more useful, and I'd rather see the core books first.

(Also, the atunement metamagics are seriously underpowered.)
KosherPickle
QUOTE (emo samurai)
You heard me.

What does everyone else think?

I'll withhold judgement until I get it from my LGS. May or may not give full review; I think the upcoming Corp Enclaves is more deserving of that sort of attention.
BookWyrm
From what I've seen of the PDF previews, it appears to be the SR4 upgrade to Awakenings & Magic In The Streets. But I'm going to wait until I get the book in my hands before I make a final review.

Don't get me wrong, I love the magic books. It's one of the reasons why I still pick the books up.
Sepherim
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
My complaint is that 4th ed. came out a year ago, and only now are we seeing the first of the core rulebooks. RH and CE are useful, but the core books - Street Magic - is a lot more useful, and I'd rather see the core books first.

Believe if I tell you that Street Magic has been a book that has gotten all the care that someone could possibly give it. I've seen the process of its writing (participated little) and I can tell you it underwent big changes, discussions and modifications just to make it as perfect as everybody wanted it. And, obviously, that takes time.

That is why the core books weren't the first ones to be finished, though they have been working on them for more than six months, they take much more time than adventures and all the rest: brainstorming, writing, testing, brainstroming, re-writing, testing, proof-reading.... it's a hard and long process.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, really the only thing we could have done to make the release time shorter is to have started writing Street Magic while the SR4 core book was still being written or to have held off releasing the SR4 core until the rules supplements were further along.

But I'm not sure we have enough freelancers to have done the former and I don't think we wanted to sit on SR4 long enough for the latter.
Shrike30
I think Street Magic has probably benefitted from months and months of observing the DSF crew tear the BBB magic rules apart, if nothing else. nyahnyah.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I think Street Magic has probably benefitted from months and months of observing the DSF crew tear the BBB magic rules apart, if nothing else. nyahnyah.gif

That's true, to an extent. I mean, many of the writers do read these forums (and others) while we're pitching ideas, writing, and playtesting and a lot of that feeds back into what gets to print.
Sepherim
edit: delete this post.
Geekkake
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Aug 10 2006, 05:23 PM)
I can't condone any game system where hair bands are character classes.

You do know that "Rocker" was one of the character archtypes in the first two editions of Shadowrun, right?

I don't recall that for SR2. Not that I doubt you.

I suppose I'll have to go burn down my apartment, now...
Geekkake
QUOTE (SL James)
Shhhhhh. You'll ruin his undeserved air of righteous superiority.

Hi! Eat a dick!
emo samurai
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new forum asshole!
James McMurray
Now emo, I wouldn't consider you an asshole. Misguided and extreme perhaps. wink.gif
Synner
And after that amusing little interlude how about we stop calling people names and get back to the business at hand before a moderator has to step in?
James McMurray
Heh. I'm just killing time until someone posts a real review. I got the pdf but haven't had time to actually read it yet. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
So, waiting silently can help. Trolling can't.

I suppose what we are doing is rating the book, not reviewing it. With that in mind I will write up a full review of the quality of writing, content, ease of use, etc. whenever the hell I get around to it. Hopefully within a week, probably never.

That being said...

The new Sourcebook, "Street Magic" (Fanpro 26004) is a well crafted, well edited, well thought out expansion to the Shadowrun 4th Ed. magical rules. It incorporates most of the rules expansions that we remember from our SR3 days, but updated and streamlined (not necessarily simplified) for use with the SR4 architecture.

Specifically regarding the crafting of the book, I have the PDF, so I can't comment on the physical structure, but it is layed out in a pleasing to view manner, and functions well. Its form is similar to SR sourcebooks from ages past (i.e., representing an online, and commented upon shadow document) with art work that ranges from "Wow, I would hang that in my house!" to "Meh." I am not an art critic, so lets leave it at that.

Much of the verbiage will seem familiar to those of us who have poured over the magic supplements from previous versions of Shadowrun, but it has been updated and re-re-edited for clarity and correctness. I am not currently reading the book as an editor, but I have not caught any glaring errors (i.e., "then" instead of "than", gross spelling errors, repeated lines, etc.). The re-use of text is not a detractor because enough of the book is new and SR4 specific that I felt more comforted by the continuity the old text supplies than feeling that the authors were trying to pull a fast one.

The information is divided into logical sections and flows well from one section to another. The table of contents is quite complete and as helpful as an index in its own way, and the index is as good as I have seen in a Shadowrun book. That is to say, helpful in general, but not like the index in the "Joy of Cooking" (check it out, seriously. The "Joy of Cooking" has an index that should be used as a paradigm).

Without going into rules and listing all the changes and additions, this book adds good, balanced rules and additions to the SR4 rule set. If you play SR4 you should seriously look into purchasing this book.

I give it a 9/10 for the 50% of it I have read thoroughly, and from what I have skimmed and peeked at, it will probably stay right about at a 9/10.

So there...
Jrayjoker
That is my general review. Any thoughts I have on the rules as written that haven't made it to other threads, well, you can ask for them.
James McMurray
Waiting silently can't help people read faster, or type reviews faster, so I fail to see how it can help speed this thread to it's desired goal. smile.gif

Jrayjoker
Just consider yourself lucky I was in a good mood and did the general review. wink.gif

Specific reviews for game balance, rules lawyering, etc. I will leave to others...
James McMurray
Ok. Thanks! smile.gif
emo samurai
Invoking is awesome. When you invoke a spirit, assuming you don't meet a mage, you fucking win.
knasser
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Invoking is awesome. When you invoke a spirit, assuming you don't meet a mage, you fucking win.

Yeah, but you're lying on your arse with the mother and father of all headaches. The larger the force, the easier it is to turn it into a Great Form, but at the same time, that drain goes through the roof.
Slithery D
QUOTE (emo samurai)

No, absorption rules. When you have a buddy/Spirit of Man/ally spirit throwing DV 1 Force 5 spells at you to charge up your drain nullifying energy bank, you win. It's just about the only way to cast Napalm...
Slithery D
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Aug 11 2006, 11:50 PM)

Yeah, but you're lying on your arse with the mother and father of all headaches. The larger the force, the easier it is to turn it into a Great Form, but at the same time, that drain goes through the roof.

Sure, but that happens on your day off. For force 6 and up you've got a good shot of knocking yourself out, but even then you don't lose the spirit, you just don't add to the services. Dropping a couple of storm strikes on a corp compound is worth that hassle and extra time/nuyen.
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 12 2006, 01:41 AM)
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 12 2006, 01:38 AM)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Aug 11 2006, 11:50 PM)

Sure, but that happens on your day off. For force 6 and up you've got a good shot of knocking yourself out, but even then you don't lose the spirit, you just don't add to the services. Dropping a couple of storm strikes on a corp compound is worth that hassle and extra time/nuyen.

Fair point. But as you pointed out in another thread just now, It's a risk to invoke a Force 6 spirit. If you do it habitually, something bad is going to happen.

Average drain is 8, but one good role could make that 15 or god help you, more! And then you have a n uncontrolled Force 6 Great Form. And that's when you need a mage. And that's when you realise your mage is lying on the floor pooping himself. And that's when the mage's player finds out just how loyal his friends actually are! biggrin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 12 2006, 01:41 AM)
For force 6 and up you've got a good shot of knocking yourself out, but even then you don't lose the spirit, you just don't add to the services.

Just noticed this. Have I misread the invoking rules (can't remember)? If the invoking test fails, then the spirit remains non-great. But I thought that the invoking had to take place during a binding ritual, so if you knock yourself out during it, you get an uncontrolled spirit.
Slithery D
RE-binding knock outs don't result in an uncontrolled spirit; that only happens the first time you bind (SR4 pg. 181). So bind, then invoke/rebind. Don't go for it all in the first shot just because you can.
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D)
RE-binding knock outs don't result in an uncontrolled spirit; that only happens the first time you bind (SR4 pg. 181). So bind, then invoke/rebind. Don't go for it all in the first shot just because you can.

Ahhhhhhhhh *sound of enlightenment*.

That's going to change things. Force 6 Storm power it is, then.

(Mind you, averaging over a thousand nuyen a service, that may just be the World's most expensive grenade grinbig.gif )
Ophis
What does being great form allow now?
Brahm
QUOTE (Ophis @ Aug 12 2006, 03:55 AM)

It can enlarge the Materialized size (for +1 Reach), boost Attributes, change LOS powers to Area of Effect in LOS and changing Engulf to within LOS, and grant extra powers picked from the normal spirit type list. Which of these is determined by the number of hits rolled on the Invoking test.
knasser
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Ophis @ Aug 12 2006, 03:55 AM)

It can enlarge the Material size (for +1 Reach), boost Attributes, change LOS powers to Area of Effect in LOS including Engulf within LOS, and grant extra powers from the normal spirit type list. Which of these is determined by the number of hits rolled.

It's more like how many of these is determined by the number of hits, actually. You progress up the chart. And the special powers that a great form can get... they're something else! Endowment is wonderful - not game breaking in any way at all, but can you imagine the whole party with Elemental Attack?

Another very nice mechanic is the way that the success of turning a spirit great form and the extent of its powers increases with its force. This makes the Force 2 Great Form that I always thought silly less likely and means the bigger the spirit you invoke the meatier it gets. Of course, that also means that the drain becomes harder, faster and losing control... smile.gif

Oh, you really need to get this book if you haven't got it!
Slithery D
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 12 2006, 04:14 AM)
And the special powers that a great form can get... they're something else! Endowment is wonderful - not game breaking in any way at all, but can you imagine the whole party with Elemental Attack?

I can imagine them missing a lot. "No, your hobby of pissing on campfires does not give you Exotic Ranged Weapon skill of three."

Influence from Task spirits is what I fear. Or for Guardian spirits, giving everyone a Heavy Weapons of 6. Forget selling that truckload of merc gear you acquired...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012