Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What can Posession Do?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Slithery D
Of course, the existence of the megacorps is the most economically illogical thing in SR. It's far less realistic than the idea of the Shiawaise decision. So knock yourself out with whatever justifications you need for a cash economy.

Hey, if my spirit possesses a quarter can it jump back out of the coin slot when I'm doing my laundry? I already know I can make the washer just open the coin basket door...
SL James
You know, there are people IRL without bank accounts that function just fine. Poor people.

And ATMs... Well, they tend to be for people with bank accounts.

Shiawase isn't completely illogical or without some legal standing.
mfb
QUOTE (Slithery D)
I'm talking about from the perspective of the in world powers that be. They don't use cash. Their customers that make them money don't use a lot of cash. The government and corps don't want it easy to use cash.

that's just it--they do. corps and governments both interact with the shadow economy to get things done. if a gummint or corporate Johnson wants to pay his low-end shadowrunners, or buy a traceless gun off the street, or do any small-scale shadow-related economic interaction, what's he do? whip out his credstick? try and pay the guy standing on the street corner with a coat full of used pistols with certified cred, or bearer bonds? i submit that the corporate/gummint Johnson uses cash. and with cash in such common use, the continued existence of ATMs makes sense.
hobgoblin
well, there are allready cash card systems in place at some colleges and universitys. so it can be done. but i do belive that its stated, even in SR4, that cash is still around, but only just.

and with the comlink, only the poor will use a physical device to pay, even if they dont pay in cash nyahnyah.gif maybe they drop by the local welfare office to pick up their monthly sertified credstick or something?
SL James
Yeah, then they can have even more ignorant fucks talk shit about them on the Matrix for carrying around thousands of nuyen on certified credsticks because no bank on Earth (or above it) will give them an account.

Sorry. Bitter. Remnant of the bad old days of flame wars with half-wits.
Slithery D
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and with the comlink, only the poor will use a physical device to pay, even if they dont pay in cash nyahnyah.gif maybe they drop by the local welfare office to pick up their monthly sertified credstick or something?

You don't get welfare without a SIN!

Worst subject hijack ever.
FanGirl
For goodness' sake, it's not as if access to fiat money is the only thing that keeps us all from starving to death. Why hasn't anyone mentioned the barter system yet?! There's no reason why the SINless shouldn't use some form of bartering to acquire goods and services, and if they really need some kind of standard medium of exchange, they could use common commodities (such as cigarettes or condoms) as their currency.
mfb
that probably happens fairly frequently. but you can't expect corporate/government Johnsons to keep big stocks of valuable items just in case they need to negotiate with low-end runners. for that, you want cash.
FanGirl
And I agree with you on that count. It's just that it seems like some people on this thread seem to be under the assumption that SINless person who can't get access to paper fiat money cannot trade with anyone anywhere, and that's what I'm contesting.
mfb
eh... yeah, maybe. i don't think barter would be as common as cash exchanges, even among the SINless, at least in 1st-world areas like Seattle.
Slithery D
Back to the original subject of thread, possession makes kidnappings and extractions, willing or not, much easier. Summon task spirit, have it possess your target and make a break for it. You can give it Run skill to evade, Conceal to hide if it has to go to ground, Influence to pursuade one of his guards to help, etc.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Back to the original subject of thread, possession makes kidnappings and extractions, willing or not, much easier. Summon task spirit, have it possess your target and make a break for it. You can give it Run skill to evade, Conceal to hide if it has to go to ground, Influence to pursuade one of his guards to help, etc.

For short durations you can pull similar shenanigans with Control Manipulations, but yes this can be very effective. Note that the threshold to notice that someone is possessed is pretty low if it's a decently powerful spirit. Trained professional bodyguards (Intuition 3 Perception 3) are generally going to notice a takeover by a Force 4 spirit, just as they'd generally notice the casting of a Force 4 Control Thoughts.

Magic is only subtle in that it often doesn't show up on video cameras. Trained observers are going to feel its presence with some regularity. It sort of makes you wonder if possibly everyone has the potential to Awaken.

Regardless, you're still going to want to snag your target when he doesn't have any compatriots around. The keen thing about Possession is that you can drop in Astrally and then go right for the takeover without first materializing and potentially giving them a shot at calling for help (in a quite detailed manner if they have a DNI). So have Shango wait in Astrally in the bathroom, and have your victim turn on Concealment and Movement before leaving the bathroom. Then have him leave the bathroom, past his own guards at a dead run (60+ KPH) while nearly invisibile to normal perception.

That's quality right there.

-Frank
Slithery D
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 11 2006, 01:05 AM)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 11 2006, 12:07 AM)

For short durations you can pull similar shenanigans with Control Manipulations, but yes this can be very effective. Note that the threshold to notice that someone is possessed is pretty low if it's a decently powerful spirit. Trained professional bodyguards (Intuition 3 Perception 3) are generally going to notice a takeover by a Force 4 spirit, just as they'd generally notice the casting of a Force 4 Control Thoughts.

Well, counterspelling or shielding can more easily stop a CM. In any case, they aren't really going to be able to do anything about it once they've noticed. Kill their protectee rather than let him get away? If you can punch through the Immunity to Normal Weapons. Grapple him and hold on until dawn/dusk/a banishing mage shows up? Good luck with that.

Obviously your subtle solution is better; it's just not actually necessary in a lot of instances. Actually, the best protection is still to keep your valuable personnel inside strong wards. Run, run, run...BOINK.

Moving on: It should have been explicitly stated that preparing a living vessel for possession is permanent (the only sensible thing, especially given the cost of reagants and the 1 day extended test interval (which is contradicted by the text example suggesting it's really 1 hour)). Also, one hopes and assumes given that permability of easy possession that the prep is only good for possessions by the preparing magician's spirits. I'd hate to make myself easier to possess by my own spirits and then get easily hijacked while I'm running "empty." Also, magician victims of hostile possession attempts should be able to use their Banishing skill in resisting.

Finally, I think possessing has a pretty clear advantage over materialization. (If you think I'm wrong, let me know why they're balanced.) The only game mechanic downsides are that it takes longer (Complex Action) and has a reasonable, although not big, chance to fail and waste a round entirely when hijacking a living person, and if you go for the easy inanimate object you're passing on mobility and physical fighting/services. I'd counter this by making possession tradition magicians really unpopular. Voodoo was already partway there even before the Shedim; it should be much worse now. Make NPCs magicians and mundanes hostile and prejudiced, and let the player know he's going to be facing it if he chooses such a tradition. Hell, bring back possession victims who survived the experience as crazed lunatics out for suicidal revenge.
Zen Shooter01
Okay, I have the PDF, and it works like this with inanimate vessels:

First, the vessel gains the power of Immunity to Normal Weapons.

Second, the vessel increases its physical stats by the power of the spirit. Pg. 102 sidebar specifically cites a vehicle's Body, Armor, and Speed. It does not mention damage codes that I could find.

Third, the spirit may use its powers through the vessel, meaning that the spirit may communicate with its summoner telepathically, too.

Hang on, more to come...
Zen Shooter01
A possessed vessel is a dual-natured entity, pg. 86.

The vessel may do what it mechanically may do - a possessed pistol can fire itself, eject a clip, chamber a round, turn the safety on and off. But it can't aim itself, see?

Vessels may be prepared through enchanting, but it's a fairly minor process, and it's not even required - it just makes the possession attempt easier.

The spirit has a threshold of the object's resistance to possess it, so knives are easier than matrix routers.

Which means that weapon foci are now largely obsolete. Take any old sword. Prepare it, which takes an Enchanting + Magic (Object resistance x3, 1 day) test and a few hundred nuyen in materials. Summon a Fire spirit and have it possess the sword.

Now you have a sword that talks to you telepathically, has all the fire spirit's powers, and, even though the sword has no moving parts, it can use its Assensing and Perception skills and report what it learns to you.

And the goddamned thing is dual-natured, so you can attack astral targets with it. And it even has its own Astral Combat skill to defend itself.

Bind and repeat.

And the rules could be interpreted that the spirit's Force is added to the damage value.

Compare that to the crippling karma and nuyen cost of a weapon foci, which only buys you an astral weapon with a few extra bonus attack dice.

Please feel free to check my math.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Aug 11 2006, 02:36 AM)
Which means that weapon foci are now largely obsolete. Take any old sword. Prepare it, which takes an Enchanting + Magic (Object resistance x3, 1 day) test and a few hundred nuyen in materials. Summon a Fire spirit and have it possess the sword.

Now you have a sword that talks to you telepathically, has all the fire spirit's powers, and, even though the sword has no moving parts, it can use its Assensing and Perception skills and report what it learns to you.

Well, don't fight any duels right before dawn/dusk. And I'd add a significant dice penalty to any actions by the spirit while you're using it in melee. ("Where am I? Where'd that target go? I think I'm going to barf!") Hope no one banishes it, and you don't have to carry it through a decent ward or other magical barrier. Oh, and you're holding an active flame aura. That's gotta hurt.

But, yeah, there are some minor benefits to putting a non-fire spirit in your sword while fighting. Most of them are just as easily gained by putting one into your sunglasses, though. They can use their powers just fine from their, too.
Synner
QUOTE (Slithery D)
No, REGULAR non-ally spirits get possession instead of materialization. Allies get INHABITATION or materialization. (It's presented as an option unrelated to whether you follow a "normal" or possessory tradition, by the way.) Inhabitation is what insect spirits do to their hosts. Have you ever heard of an insect shaman with channeling putting an insect spirit into his own body? No, because the rules provide that for inhabitation the mind of the host is DESTROYED.
And regeneration is far less worrisome as a defensive power than storm is as an offensive one (look at the area of effect! no drain! as often as you like until services run out!). Although I am still glad to see the nerfing they gave to Hidden Life...

This is correct. The reference in the traditions section is solely with regards to the 5 spirit types a tradition can normally summon. When designing an Ally you have the choice of making it a Materializing spirit or an Inhabiting spirit (this regardless of tradition) - in the latter case you must provide it with a vessel.

Channeling is a metamagic which enhances a Possessed magician's control of the spirit riding him. It does not extend to Inhabitation.
Synner
QUOTE (Slithery D)
This area is going to be a hopeless fudge of inconsistent rules compromises unless you severely restrict possession at all. Mfb is absolutely right about the strength issues involved here. Does the spirit rotate the tires directly for a less than walking speed?

The spirit can animate any mechanical component of its "vessel" to function as it normally does only under the spirit's control. The spirit is not physically pushing anything about so this requires no strength, it just controls anything on a hinge, piston, gear, shift, or pulley by mechanically moving it. The whole vessel, like a Materialized spirit's body simply responds to the spirit's will - it isn't so much a conscious thing. Note that the key ignition is only necessary to start the engine and the spirit can pretty much do the same thing simply by animating the piston in the starter chamber to get the engine running - ie. magical jumpstart.

Or does it turn the key to start the engine and then manipulate the pedals, gear shift, and pedals to drive with a massive skill of 0 and start bouncing off things at normal driving speeds?

One of the reasons Possession of innanimate vessels is self-limiting in a lot of ways. Put the spirit into a car and probably won't have a drive skill (though it might default). Put it in a sword and the sword has no mechanical bits or self-locomotion ability.
James McMurray
QUOTE ("Slithery D")
If you can punch through the Immunity to Normal Weapons. Grapple him and hold on until dawn/dusk/a banishing mage shows up?

QUOTE ("Zen Shooter01")
A possessed vessel is a dual-natured entity, pg. 86.

You don't have to wait long, since an astral mage can be there in seconds.

QUOTE ("Synner")
Put the spirit into a car and probably won't have a drive skill (though it might default).

I would consider spirits unaware in almost every aspect of technology, and not allow it to default to drive.
Lebo77
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I would consider spirits unaware in almost every aspect of technology, and not allow it to default to drive.

But is it "driveing"? One COULD argue that the spirit "is" the car, therefore it's more like running.

Another possibility toconsider is that some spirits might posess more understanding of these things then others. Consider the spirit is a spirit of man (or task) summoned from the the area of a major highway or something. If a Voodoo-mage stood in the middle to route 66 and called of the great spirit of the mother road herself, do you believe that such a creature would be "unaware of almost every aspect of technology"? Sure it may not know how to rewire a comlink, but CARS it would understand.

James McMurray
It's seen what they do, but not how. At least that's how I would rule it. YMMV
Lebo77
QUOTE (James McMurray)
It's seen what they do, but not how. At least that's how I would rule it. YMMV

If it has SEEN them do it then it is not unaware. I have never fired a gun, but I could if you put a loaded one in my hand. I have seen people point the gun and pull the trigger. Given a few minutes I could probobly figure out how to eject the clip and put in a new one, then pull back the slide and chamber a round. I have no fireams skill, but am not unaware becasue I have seen them used.

Unaware woudl be if I had never seen a gun like weapon.

Useing my first argument:

Spirits don't have legs. (at least some don't)

Such a spirit could posess a dead body.

It has SEEN people walking, but has never done so itself.

Can the Zombie walk? Clearly it can.

James McMurray
Like I said, YMMV (your mileage may vary, i.e. "you may disagree, and that's cool.")

The way I see it is that it knows that the wheels on the bus go round and round, but it has no idea about pistons, crank shafts, brake pads, etc. A spirit walking in a corpse has seen people walk, and knows that the legs move alternating between left and right. It'll be jerky movement, because it's not using the (dead or nonexistent) musculature to move.

If for some reason the spirit is one whose power is possess (car) then I'd let it default.

That's just me though. You are of course free to do it however you like in your games, and might even be "right."
Lebo77
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Like I said, YMMV (your mileage may vary, i.e. "you may disagree, and that's cool.")

The way I see it is that it knows that the wheels on the bus go round and round, but it has no idea about pistons, crank shafts, brake pads, etc. A spirit walking in a corpse has seen people walk, and knows that the legs move alternating between left and right. It'll be jerky movement, because it's not using the (dead or nonexistent) musculature to move.

If for some reason the spirit is one whose power is possess (car) then I'd let it default.

That's just me though. You are of course free to do it however you like in your games, and might even be "right."

I just wanted to refer you to the previous post by Syner where it was commented that the spirit can animate any part of the mechanical assembly. Therefore, if the spirit knows the wheels can go round and round, then it can simply make the wheels go round and round. That the axels, transmission and pistons move is a consequence of the motion of the wheels is a reversal of the normal order of things, but no less possible.
James McMurray
Cool. smile.gif
Slithery D
You know, the more I think about it the worse allowing possession of unwilling living people looks. The possession test is far too easy: Force x 2 vs. Will + Int, one net hit to possess. Once it does, you've completely neutralized your target, given him super powers, and put him to work for you. It completely obsoletes Control Body, and is in most respects superior to Control Thoughts.

Worse than the game mechanic effects are the psychological ones. Not only is your friend not fighting on your side anymore and you've got to kill a spirit, but you've got (banishing aside) to kill your friend to kill the spirit! Possession becomes the ultimate terrorist weapon, and astral fly bys with materialized spirit "bombs" were bad enough.

Is there really any in game justification for allowing hostile possession by run of the mill spirits? There are rules for vessel preparation to make possession easier, and rules to make that harder for unwilling subjects who haven't been subdued by drugs or mind control. I'd lean toward ruling that unwilling people can only be possessed if they've been prepared through enchantment, or, maybe, if astrally perceiving or dual natured. (Definitely if you projecting and you leave your body empty.)

Voodoo practiioners can still hijack an enemy, they just have to kidnap him and paint some mystical signs on him first. (Make the extended test interval 1 hour, like in the example, not 1 day like the rule text.) They can also, of course, possess themselves and any followers they have, all consistent with their tradition. Qabbalists and hedge witches will generally restrict their spirit possessions to inanimate objects or themselves, just as they should, but can always find a kinky friend to take one for the team or do a little kidnapping and quick vessel prep for unique circumstances if they really must.

Thoughts? How did hostile possession not become hopelessly broken in play testing? Or is there some rule hidden in an odd place that already restricts possession to willing/prepared/inanimate vessels?
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 11 2006, 12:26 AM)
This area is going to be a hopeless fudge of inconsistent rules compromises unless you severely restrict possession at all. Mfb is absolutely right about the strength issues involved here. Does the spirit rotate the tires directly for a less than walking speed?

The spirit can animate any mechanical component of its "vessel" to function as it normally does only under the spirit's control. The spirit is not physically pushing anything about so this requires no strength, it just controls anything on a hinge, piston, gear, shift, or pulley by mechanically moving it. The whole vessel, like a Materialized spirit's body simply responds to the spirit's will - it isn't so much a conscious thing. Note that the key ignition is only necessary to start the engine and the spirit can pretty much do the same thing simply by animating the piston in the starter chamber to get the engine running - ie. magical jumpstart.

Would it be able to fire the sparkplugs since they are electrical in nature? I don't know enough about cars to know if they fire automatically or need to be timed by electronics.

Or does it turn the key to start the engine and then manipulate the pedals, gear shift, and pedals to drive with a massive skill of 0 and start bouncing off things at normal driving speeds?

One of the reasons Possession of innanimate vessels is self-limiting in a lot of ways. Put the spirit into a car and probably won't have a drive skill (though it might default). Put it in a sword and the sword has no mechanical bits or self-locomotion ability.

If the spirit had Psychokenesis it should be able to self-locomote. Actually, why not do that to the car, who cares if it's wheels turns if it can fly?

[QUOTE=Fangirl]if they really need some kind of standard medium of exchange, they could use common commodities (such as cigarettes or condoms) as their currency. [QUOTE]

Or Bottlecaps biggrin.gif

Seriously though, sorry thread about the ATM derailment earlier.. indifferent.gif
Slithery D
As far as the car stuff goes, people disturbed by it should just make the players start the car for the spirit. Then let it run the steering wheel (or interior linkages), gas, etc. It can drive (poorly) a "friendly" car but not hijack one that is parked on a street. The best use is going to be for Immunity to Normal Weapons and improved body to make your getaway vehicle more survivable, as well as access to conealment/movement or other spirit powers. Actual driving by the spirit as a sort of independent battering ram...not so much a good idea or much value added to the team.
Synner
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Thoughts? How did hostile possession not become hopelessly broken in play testing? Or is there some rule hidden in an odd place that already restricts possession to willing/prepared/inanimate vessels?

There are a number of balancing points for offensive possession (believe me it was throughly discussed). One major one with regards to stuff like Control Body is its cost effectiveness. For offensive possession to be relatively sure to work against an average human you'll be expending a service from a Force 5 or 6 spirit (with the respective risks involved in Drain and the conjuring costs of Binding if relevant). That's not even mentioning all the normal traditions that don't have the Possession option.

Another point is the Complex Action required (and not guaranteed to succeed).

Another is simply comparison with Materialized spirits. For all its enhancements a possessed metahuman is on average statistically weaker than an equivalent Force Materialized spirit.

Finally, there's spirits having problems with technology and such things as cyber and AR.

If you're still having problems with Possession the following are rules tweaks we tried out but didn't run with:
- Modify offensive Possession tests to Force vs. Int + Will.
- Disallow offensive Possession entirely and rule that only prepared vessels may be possessed.
- Only allow offensive Possession of targets in the magician's LOS (magician acts as a spotter on the physical plane).
- Or one of my faves: only allow Bound Spirits to possess vessels present during their initial Binding (effectively limiting offensive Possession to your 1 Summoned spirit).

Is Possession powerful? Yes. Too powerful? Depends on your game style, but I strongly advise people to try it in practice before finding fault.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Synner)
I strongly advise people to try it in practice before finding fault.

You're new to RPG forums, aren't you? wink.gif
Slithery D
QUOTE (Synner)
For offensive possession to be relatively sure to work against an average human you'll be expending a service from a Force 5 or 6 spirit (with the respective risks involved in Drain and the conjuring costs of Binding if relevant).

I'd thought Possession should work like Materialization as far as services expended. I.e., "manifest and attack" is one service; possess and attack should be as well. Is this not true? Does simple possession and nothing else use a service? I guess that does actually make sense: used offensively simple possession and nothing more still neutralizes an enemy, while used on yourself or a friend it provides defensive bonuses. (Although technically a defensive/friendly possesion with no further services or orders neutralizes you, as well - channeling aside, there's no provision for "backseat driving" and just receiving passive bonuses while remaining in charge of your body.)

This would make 1 service spirits quite limited for offensive operations and 2 service spirits necessary for useful friendly possesions. That seems balancing enough, perhaps.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Synner)
Another is simply comparison with Materialized spirits. For all its enhancements a possessed metahuman is on average statistically weaker than an equivalent Force Materialized spirit.

That's not true at all. The average possessed human is going to have F+3 body, agility, reaction, and strength. The only spirits that can beat that materialized with equal force on even one attribute are Earth (Body and Strength) and Plant (Body). But of course you'll possess the ork or troll first, who will have even better physical attributes.

At a strategic level of movement (no astral sprints) it's weaker, but I don't see what else it's missing that a manifested spirit has. A force 4 possessed troll is going to be able to bash an lift things better than a force 4 earth elemental. (Personally, I think you should have taken away Engulf...)
mfb
QUOTE (Slithery D)
But of course you'll possess the ork or troll first, who will have even better physical attributes.

not to mention, lower mental attributes, so it'll be easier to possess 'em.
Slithery D
No penalties/limits to Int/Wil, only Log, which doesn't figure in possession.
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 11 2006, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Synner)

That's not true at all. The average possessed human is going to have F+3 body, agility, reaction, and strength. The only spirits that can beat that materialized with equal force on even one attribute are Earth (Body and Strength) and Plant (Body). But of course you'll possess the ork or troll first, who will have even better physical attributes.

At a strategic level of movement (no astral sprints) it's weaker, but I don't see what else it's missing that a manifested spirit has. A force 4 possessed troll is going to be able to bash an lift things better than a force 4 earth elemental. (Personally, I think you should have taken away Engulf...)

Picking a Force 5 spirit in order to have a reasonably reliable chance of possession againt average mental stats you get the following

F5 Beast Spirit:
Bod 7, Agi 5, Rea 7, Str 7

F5 Earth Sprit:
Bod 9, Agi 3, Rea 7, Str 9

Possessed Human:
Bod 8, Agi 8, Rea 8, Str 8

Possessed Orc:
Bod 11, Agi 8, Rea 8, Str 10

Possessed Troll:
Bod 11, Agi 7, Rea 8, Str 12

I'm assuming that the possessed characters are allowed to use all of the same powers as materialising spirits, e.g. possessed by Beast Spirit, you can have natural weapons, possessed by fire spirit, you can have elemental attack (might dissallow engulf as it makes less sense).

So the possessed version is more powerful on the whole. To balance this consider the following: firstly, there's a roughly 40% that the spirit wont be able to get in on the action straight away because he will fail to possess. That's in addition to the initial complex action that possessing takes. Secondly, and this could be a big one, if the spirit fails in the possession attempt then I would probably consider that to be a service used. The mage says "possess that troll" and the spirit is driven out - service used. Would you allow the player to say "possess an enemy" ? GM judgement call, but it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to say no, in my opinion. If you do allow it, then the player has still definitely opened themselves up to the spirit picking a non-optimum victim.

I would also not allow a spirit to make use of the victim's weapons etc. This isn't a big power-balancer, but it should be noted. That possessed orc is going to throw down his SMG and start running at you with his bare hands.

Also, a possessed character may not have access to the same movement rates and abilities that a materialised spirit has. I'm thinking of flight here, though a water spirit would also risk drowning the possessed victim when trying to dive. Also, there are occasions when a spirit may wish to dematerialise and rematerialise, e.g. to reappear on the other side of a wall. Any attempt to do this with a possessing spirit frees the original victim and requires another attempt on the next one.

Finally, we're all talking about reasonably powerful spirits. A non-possessing tradition has the option of churning out low-force combatters. Sure the Force 6 steals the show, but having a few Force 2-3 Fire Elementals zipping around can be phenomenally useful. The possessor doesn't have this option 'cause the Force 2 isn't likely to possess most people.

And even more finally, what do you do when there isn't an enemy to possess? When you're up against automated systems, or a couple of mages and other spirits?

So really, the big issue is the risk of failing to possess (possibly using service) and also the potential time delay when you really really need that spirit. The second issue is the limited usefulness of low force spirits. The third issue is the lack of possessees. But apart from all of this, you have several minor issues as detailed above. I think taking it all together it balances okay with the slightly more powerful physical forms of a possessed enemy. In fact, if I were playing, I'd probably prefer the reliability of a materialised spirit over the extra point of body (extra four if I'm lucky enough to score a Troll) that I get with a possessing spirit.
Lebo77
QUOTE (knasser)
I would also not allow a spirit to make use of the victims weapons etc. This isn't a big power-balancer, but it should be noted. That possessed orc is going to throw down his SMG and leap at you with his bare hands.

Why would any self-respecting guardian spirit with the automatics skill do that?
Dewar
If whatever is possessed becomes immune to normal weapons, can I get a set of coveralls and possess them? Sure it wouldn't protect you against impact, but knives and bullets wouldn't be able to pierce it right?
knasser
QUOTE (Lebo77)
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 11 2006, 03:56 PM)
I would also not allow a spirit to make use of the victims weapons etc. This isn't a big power-balancer, but it should be noted. That possessed orc is going to throw down his SMG and leap at you with his bare hands.

Why would any self-respecting guardian spirit with the automatics skill do that?

Of my whole post you pick the two lines that included:
QUOTE (knasser)
This isn't a big power-balancer, but it should be noted
?

Yes, if your possessing spirit is a guardian spirit then you could summon one with the automatics skill. Given that you could have a possessing spirit using Elemental Attack instead, it isn't usually a big issue. It was just a minor point that as I said, "should be noted."
Slithery D
Knasser, good points. I guess possession does fall short at the weak end of the power scale and when you'd rather rather have a predictable, safe result rather than take a big risk for a big reward.
Samaels Ghost
If whatever is possessed becomes immune to normal weapons, can I get a set of coveralls and possess them? Sure it wouldn't protect you against impact, but knives and bullets wouldn't be able to pierce it right?

Possessing armor may increase it's effects on encumbrance for the wearer. It's Force is added to the ratings just likepossessing anything else.
Dewar
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)

Possessing armor may increase it's effects on encumbrance for the wearer. It's Force is added to the ratings just likepossessing anything else.

But if it was a pair of coveralls and a force one spirit, the armor rating wouldn't be high enough to cause encumbrance, right?
Samaels Ghost
Depends, what's your Body? And the Hardened armor would be exceeded by 2P,anyway. That's not going to protect you much. Wait, what would your magical coverall's combined armor rating be? 5/1 (4/0 armor clothing + Force 1)?
Zen Shooter01
The point being made is the coveralls and the spirit are one entity, and the spirit/coveralls get Immunity to Normal Weapons at twice the spirit's force.
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Knasser, good points. I guess possession does fall short at the weak end of the power scale and when you'd rather rather have a predictable, safe result rather than take a big risk for a big reward.

Thanks. Possession certainly could give a GM some headaches, though. It is good, but I think in some ways it is simply a more precise tool. A rapier can do more damage than a club, but it requires greater accuracy.

Rules arguments against the possessed pyjamas or whatever you're wearing becoming hardened armour might be a bit meaningless as there isn't really a solid rules case for it becoming hardened armour, either. You'd get some of the same problems as active foci (barriers, astral attacks, obviousness). But perhaps there is a fluff argument against it:

We don't know what Immunity to Normal Weapons represents in fluff terms. For an air spirit it might mean opening to let the bullets pass through you, For a water spirit it might mean the holes simply fill in afterwards. For a possessed item it may actually just be an ability to ignore damage. What does that red corvette care about the bullets through its engine block when the wheels are simply animated on their own, anyway? And a possessed piece of material ( "Oh mighty devil, inhabit thee this bedsheet for it is black and has not been washed in weeks"), may simply not care that a bullet has ripped through it, it could just stitch itself together again which doesn't help the poor shmuck wearing it.
mfb
QUOTE (Slithery D)
No penalties/limits to Int/Wil, only Log, which doesn't figure in possession.

ah. my mistake.
Slithery D
On a barely related tangent, all of this spirit and possession related talk reminds me of my favorite SR relevant novel, a supernatural-spy thriller set in 1963 called Declare. If you want ideas for nonstandard magical traditions and flavor for dealing with and describing spirits there are worse places to start. It's the "true story" about how the early years of the Cold War were really a struggle by the Soviet Union to take control of the fallen angels/djiin (opinions differ) hiding out in the remnant of Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat.

Good, grim spy stuff with a very SR-relevant bit of dabbling in the occult, and you'll be amazed by the weird stuff about Kim Philby which was actually true and how the author spins them into a coherent supernatural explanation. (One example of many: Philby spent two days in a drunken haze when his pet fox "from Saudia Arabia" died; his car was struck by an artillery round in the Spanish Civil War that he survived; he was wearing at the time what he described as coat made from fox fur received from an Arab prince. The book spins this as the fox possessed by some sort of familiar spirit whose power lingered on in the coat. Convert to SR4 ally spirit rules and possession/inhabitation as necessary.)

One could easily adapt themes and background from the book to make up an interesting mini-campaign focused around Middle Eastern free spirits and the Islamic, Christian Theurgist, or Qabbalist traditions in Street Magic, maybe with New Islamic Jihad or leftover Eurowars elements for spice. You can even treat the meteoric iron "bomb" as the infamous recurring Turn Spirit to Guacamole unique focus...
hyzmarca
Have a spirit possess your house spooky old mansion. Invite a few friends unsuspecting over. Hilarity ensues.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Have a spirit possess your house spooky old mansion. Invite a few friends unsuspecting over. Hilarity ensues.

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 12 2006, 05:33 AM)
Have a spirit possess your house spooky old mansion.  Invite a few friends unsuspecting over.  Hilarity ensues.

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

And their dog.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012