Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What can Posession Do?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Lebo77
What would happen if a spirit of... say... Man, posessed a drone which was as the time being jumped into by a hacker/rigger? Who wold be in controll of the drone? Would the spirit know the drone was actively being controlled from elsewhere? Would the rigger detect somethig was wrong?

While a spirit can posess a gun, the rules say that the spirit can fire the gun and eject the clip but not aim or effect any electronic accessories. What if a spirit with Psychokenesis were to posess a gun? Could the spirit use it's psychokenetic power to "pick itself up" and aim?
FrankTrollman
What would happen if a spirit of... say... Man, posessed a drone which was as the time being jumped into by a hacker/rigger?

The spirit and the rigger would both be able to control the drone. The spirit has the final say over the drone's physical motion, but the rigger is still in there and can control any of the purely electronic devices.

The spirit has no control over nor awareness of the Matrix connection of the drone. So the Rigger still gets to use his Drone as a pair of eyes and as a repeater to hack from. The Spirit won't be able to stop him from doing that or even know it's happening.

So the breakdown is the spirit gets full control of the drone's physical motion andhe rigger retains full control of the drone's matrix existence. But you should probably use a Guardian spirit instead of a Spirit of Man. A drone whose physical actions are controlled by a spirit with the Heavy Weapons skill is hilarious.

Would the spirit know the drone was actively being controlled from elsewhere?

Nope. The spirit can't even perceive the Matrix actions the drone is performing under its nose.

Would the rigger detect somethig was wrong?

Absotively, the diagnostics would suggest that the motors were out of control - even a small movement by the spirit would have been outside the parameters ofthe pilot program.

What if a spirit with Psychokenesis were to posess a gun? Could the spirit use it's psychokenetic power to "pick itself up" and aim?

Yes.

Note that many spirits with Psychokinesis can also fly (which is a power), and would be able to simply hover themselves around anyway. Air spirits make pretty decent snipers.

-Frank
Lebo77
Frank: Great answers. That was how I was thinking about it as well.

Another question. Can an air-spirit posessed rug function as a magic carpet? smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Lebo77)
Frank: Great answers. That was how I was thinking about it as well.

Another question. Can an air-spirit posessed rug function as a magic carpet? smile.gif

perhaps for a very light runner, or if the spirit had a very high strength.

keeping in mind that str * 5 kg is how much something can carry around, and iirc air spirits don't have very good strength... (i suppose it could carry more for a shorter period of time maybe, but still not very impressive unless you're already pretty lightweight)...
venenum
Possesion is tuns of fun and good a scaring your players like having a human who they could have killed in one blow before now able to take no damage from an assault cannon unless they score big. How do you do, for only the price of 47 karma, Initiate twice take channeling and ally spirit, using ordeals, to lower the cost. Than use energy aura and whatever cool powers you can think of. only problem is mana spells, becuase you will resist with only 3 plus counter spelling dice. That is why i dont give out a lot of karma, its very bad for your bad guys's health.
LilithTaveril
Okay, this makes me want the book very, very badly... just so I can have a mage with a handgun that kills people on its own.
hobgoblin
and the people around him will wonder if he is using a troded smartlink or not nyahnyah.gif

edit:
forgot about the self-hover bit. alltho i guess he may be using telekinesis to hold it up wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Ride dead horses through the NAN.
James McMurray
Does possession give skills? Presumably an air spirit possessed gun would be really bad at hitting people.
Lagomorph
Have spirits posses your enemies commlinks, or their cyberware.
James McMurray
why not just have them possess your enemies?
Moon-Hawk
Possess a lock, and open.
Lagomorph
Have them posses an ATM and spit out paper money. It doesn't sound like it would be able to transfer funds to a credstick though.

Have a spirit possess your cheeseburger, mush it's self up and then march down your throat.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Have a spirit possess your cheeseburger, mush it's self up and then march down your throat.

Boy it took you guys long enough to actually come up with a decent use...
Synner
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Have them posses an ATM and spit out paper money. It doesn't sound like it would be able to transfer funds to a credstick though.

Actually that's one of the things it probably can't do, since a possessing spirit cannot control electronical or digital elements of equipment - just mechanical ones...
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Ride dead horses through the NAN.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Think of all the crying indians! *tear*
mfb
QUOTE (Synner)
Actually that's one of the things it probably can't do, since a possessing spirit cannot control electronical or digital elements of equipment - just mechanical ones...

you mean it can't spit out the bills, or it can't make electronic transfers?
Synner
Let's see... An ATM requires some form of valid ID or accreditation to allow access (or not) between the dispenser and the safe box, that probably has an electronic locking mechanism controlled by the ATMs computer, then there's an electronic shifting mechanism to count out the necessary money, and then the lock mechanism between safe and dispenser chute/conveyer - any and all these things a GM can rule as beyond the control of a Possessing spirit under the rules.
mfb
that would mean that a spirit basically can't manipulate most modern technology at all, since almost all of it would require some form of electronic verification to work. possessed cars can't drive themselves, etcetera. obviously, that's not going to make me unhappy, but it seems to run counter to what the rules intended.
Synner
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 10 2006, 11:33 PM)
that would mean that a spirit basically can't manipulate most modern technology at all, since almost all of it would require some form of electronic verification to work. possessed cars can't drive themselves, etcetera. obviously, that's not going to make me unhappy, but it seems to run counter to what the rules intended.

That might be from people jumping to conclusions before reading the rules... Possession of innanimate objects was never intended to be an uberpower, in fact it has quite a few built in limitations. How much these actually restrict possession spirits is (you guessed it) up to each group and their GMs.

Under the rules Possession spirits are specifically unable to "interface" with a lot of modern technology including AR, DNI, electronics, etc.

But a spirit should, for instance, be able to control some cars simply by making their mechanical components move (though an electric car wouldn't be able to tap Gridlink for power or access the system). Same for certain drones.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Synner)
Let's see... An ATM requires some form of valid ID or accreditation to allow access (or not) between the dispenser and the safe box, that probably has an electronic locking mechanism controlled by the ATMs computer, then there's an electronic shifting mechanism to count out the necessary money, and then the lock mechanism between safe and dispenser chute/conveyer - any and all these things a GM can rule as beyond the control of a Possessing spirit under the rules.

If the electronic lock has a mechanical stopper to prevent the cash door from opening, couldn't the spirit move the mechanical stopper even if it couldn't understand that it was controlled electronically?

Does that mean also that a spirit couldn't unlock a maglock?

I would imagine that unless there was a purely electronic blockage (as in, the money spitting device needs and doesn't recieve power unless the ID is verified) it could bypass locking mechanisms.

BTW, I haven't gotten the book yet, so I don't actually know the rules, just what's been said in this thread. So I don't mean to be obtuse about the subject.
mfb
QUOTE (Synner)
But a spirit should, for instance, be able to control some cars simply by making their mechanical components move (though an electric car wouldn't be able to tap Gridlink for power or access the system). Same for certain drones.

why doesn't that apply to ATMs? shovelling cash around is merely a matter of routing power to the correct areas--something a possessing spirit can obviously manage, if it's able to control drones at all; it's not like drones have gas and brake pedals to push, or steering wheels to turn. the fact that those power routings are normally controlled by Matrix commands doesn't factor in at all.
Synner
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Aug 10 2006, 11:42 PM)
If the electronic lock has a mechanical stopper to prevent the cash door from opening, couldn't the spirit move the mechanical stopper even if it couldn't understand that it was controlled electronically?

This is correct.

Does that mean also that a spirit couldn't unlock a maglock?
I would imagine that unless there was a purely electronic blockage (as in, the money spitting device needs and doesn't recieve power unless the ID is verified) it could bypass locking mechanisms.

Generally speaking if it has moving mechanical parts the possession spirit can animate them. If, however, a lock uses a magnetic mechanism to move the bolt from locked to unlock, the spirit would be unable to control that.
mfb
...huh? why can't it just animate the bolt itself, the way it animates vehicle controls?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Have spirits posses your enemies commlinks, or their cyberware.

That would be a no-go. The spirit's aforementioned inability to access the computer side of things makes possession of the commlink pretty irrelevant. You'd control what? The snap on the carryng case? The clip that hooked it to your opponent's belt?

Cyberware is just plain impossible, since it's part of your opponent's aura and not separately targettable by magic.

Now, the ATM plan would totally work. It can't give you a valid transaction, nor can it spoof the system to believe that the machine is supposed to be spitting out money. But it can physically open the money cannisters and feed them out. That's probably not what you should be doing with your time, but it would work.

Here's the problem: the spirit can't spoof the camera feed, it can't spoof the autopilot on the money or the tamper-sensors on the device. All of these are going to be going off like crazy. As far as the ATM is concerned, someone is ripping it open and taking money out by hand (which, BTW, also works). And so it's busily sending out a distress call and taking mad pictures and posting them to Lonestar.

So how is this any better than just taking a monofilament chainsaw to the machine and taking the money? Well, it's no more subtle as far as the folks in Zurich Orbital are concerned, but ieverything looks perfectly normal to everyone standing around in the mall. As far as the security people are concerned, everything loks normal. That means that when the money comes out and the security gets pulled in, it takes a relatively easily Charisma + Con check to make them believe that you're a law abiding consumer and the machine is giving a false alarm.

As long as you do this fairly infrequently, you can probably get away with as much as hundreds of nuyen without drawing undue attention to yourself.

-Frank
Synner
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 10 2006, 11:47 PM)
Why doesn't that apply to ATMs? shovelling cash around is merely a matter of routing power to the correct areas--something a possessing spirit can obviously manage, if it's able to control drones at all; it's not like drones have gas and brake pedals to push, or steering wheels to turn. the fact that those power routings are normally controlled by Matrix commands doesn't factor in at all.

You've misunderstood me. The spirit doesn't route power or control electronic subsystems. It has no control over such elements. What it does is animate the mechanical gears, shafts and locks (same way it gets a dead body's arms and legs to move). In a car or drone it could make the wheels or tracks to move by animating the gears and shafts that turn them all the way back to the engine if necessary (though the engine could be dead).

Edit - Frank is right of course. I was assuming an ATM using more than a purely mechanical feed system, something with a magnetic slide lock mechanism.

Of course even if you've pulled it off and ripped a few hundred nuyen from the ATM, you've just spent one of the spirit's services to do it (and we're talking the costs and risks of a Force 6 conjuration to reliably work on an ATM's OR4).
mfb
i'm not sure if that makes sense. the only thing keeping a maglock from opening under a spirit's influence is the resistance against the bolt's movement provided by the magnet. the amount of force you'd have to apply to manage that can't be much more than the total amount of force you'd have to apply to make a gas-powered car drive around without the sparkplug igniting the gasoline.
Demerzel
I would be very sceptical of there being paper money cash ATMs anywhere in 2070. It seems like there has been plenty of fluff that indicates even certified cred to seem barbaric in upper class circles because it does not carry any data trail. Paper money is foor the poor and down todden it seemes, and what bank caters to poor and downtrodden enough to put cash ATMs in the barrens with loads of money in a box that can be ripped into with a monofilament chainsaw...

The argument should be the existance of ATMs rather than their ability to be possessed.
venenum
Using the channeling metamagic and ally spirit, would you be able to give the ally spirit regeneration if you could summon plant spirits or would you have to know the invoking metamagic as well.
Lagomorph
So, a spirit could make the wheels of a drone turn, there by giving a drone motion.

In a maglock which uses magnets to move a physical bolt, it could move the bolt, but in a maglock which only uses magnets to lock a door in place, it couldn't do anything, because there is no mechanical motion in the system.

Could a spirit possess a solid state radio and turn up the volume by pushing the up volume button?

@Frank: rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I would be very sceptical of there being paper money cash ATMs anywhere in 2070.

what other function would an ATM serve? you can do all your other banking online, without the help of an ATM.
Slithery D
So, I'm glad that's all settled.

This area is going to be a hopeless fudge of inconsistent rules compromises unless you severely restrict possession at all. Mfb is absolutely right about the strength issues involved here. Does the spirit rotate the tires directly for a less than walking speed? Or does it turn the key to start the engine and then manipulate the pedals, gear shift, and pedals to drive with a massive skill of 0 and start bouncing off things at normal driving speeds? If it doesn't have drive skill, how does it know to turn the key, anyway? Do 2070 cars have mechanically turned keys? (Probably not.) How does a spirit possessing an ATM know how to use the nine (or whatever) independent mechanical systems necessary to eject money? Do all possessing spirits automatically know the basics of movement of their relevant parts? (It's not like spirits should automatically know how to walk, after all, that's not how they move around the astral plane...) Shouldn't all circa 2070 ATM's be put inside wards, anyway, to avoid not only someone with the Street Magic spell Corrode [ATM] just melting everything but the cash? Shouldn't there not BE very ATMs in the first place? I can see the sneering AR icon now when I try to pay that way...

Slithery D
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I would be very sceptical of there being paper money cash ATMs anywhere in 2070.

what other function would an ATM serve? you can do all your other banking online, without the help of an ATM.

ATMs would be for the very poor without access to their own comlink or other net access. But probably there would be public terminals not associated with banks, so I'd do away with ATMs entirely. They're unnecessary for most people, so the customer convenience vs. security tradeoff makes them uneconomical to support.
mfb
i'm not sure ATMs would be unnecessary, or only for the very poor. the existence of so many shadowrunners points to the existence of a strong, thriving shadow economy, not all of which can be run on black cred. paper money would be used for many transactions.
Demerzel
What I use my ATM for:

Deposit Checks.
Get cash.
Ummm, that's all.

So I'm thinking checks are a thing of the past. If cash is not there generally accepted form of payment anymore who's going to use it? Do the rich kids go slumming often enough to need to spend cash at that mom and pop diner in the middle of the barrens?

I already to any transfers and balance inquiries online, and rarely see the inside of my bank...
venenum
They still have hard currency i mean look at the description of meguil in the SRMs

Oh any could anyone possibly answer my question form a few posts up, i need it for an upcoming game
Lagomorph
I think the non existance of ATM's is pretty established. Though I'm sure one or two are in a museum some where. That could make for an interesting run "Break into a museum, and steal the money from an ATM on display"
mfb
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
I think the non existance of ATM's is pretty established.

where?
Lagomorph
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
I think the non existance of ATM's is pretty established.

where?

Err I meant to say it's been established here in this thread.

And logically, an ATM has no use in a credstick/commlink world, unless you have multiple bank accounts that need transfers and for some reason can't use the matrix. For flavor I could see Automated Trideo Tellers that do all the banky kinds of things that a real teller might, but I don't know if they'd just leave those kinds of things out on street corners.
Slithery D
QUOTE (venenum @ Aug 10 2006, 07:21 PM)
Using the channeling metamagic and ally spirit, would you be able to give the ally spirit regeneration if you could summon plant spirits or would you have to know the invoking metamagic as well.

First, allies can't be put in your body with the power of inhabitation. Channeling is for possession; inhabitation destroys the mind of the vessel without exception.

Second, I think you shouldn't be able to give great form powers to allies at all. You can only give powers "available to spirits the initiate may conjure." Great form powers aren't in the usual sense "available" to a spirit that you've conjured - they have to be given to it. Previous editions didn't allow great form allies, there's no indication they wanted anything like this in SR4, and for simple game balance reasons it shouldn't be allowed unless clearly permitted. Can you imagine an ally with unlimited use of the storm power? Ridiculous.
LilithTaveril
Actually, I was just thinking of something...

You get a museum using simple locked doors. Runner with spirits uses a spirit to unlock the front door, a few more to turn the cameras to facing upward, and one to levitate an old-fashioned gun when a guard is near. Combine with illusions (both audible and visual). Repeat for 2-4 days before putting out an advertisement for a ghost-busters style group that solves hauntings.

Nothing like getting paid to walk into the museum and distract those there from what you're really out to steal.
mfb
i don't see that it's been established, in this thread or anywhere else. and even if it had been established in this thread, that doesn't do anything for establishing it as a fact in SR.

i've already pointed out how ATMs would see a lot of use in SR. SR has a strong shadow economy based on untraceable cash. at the higher levels, that means black credsticks, but not everone has the resources required to use those. cash is a nice low-tech means of accomplishing the same thing.
venenum
QUOTE (Slithery D)

First, you shouldn't be able to have your ally spirit inhabit your own body at all. Channeling is for possession; inhabitiation destroys the mind of the vessel without exception.

Second, I think you shouldn't be able to give great form powers to allies at all. You can only give powers "available to spirits the initiate may conjure." Great form powers aren't in the usual sense "available" to a spirit that you've conjured - they have to be given to it. Can you imagine an ally with unlimited use of the storm power? Ridiculous.

Your ally spirit can posses you in the note about possesion traditions, it says that the possesion power replaces the materialization power so it could possese you. Thank you for answering, oh and storm wasnt the one i was worried about i was worried about regeneration.
Slithery D
QUOTE (venenum)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 10 2006, 07:54 PM)

First, you shouldn't be able to have your ally spirit inhabit your own body at all. Channeling is for possession; inhabitiation destroys the mind of the vessel without exception. 

Second, I think you shouldn't be able to give great form powers to allies at all. You can only give powers "available to spirits the initiate may conjure." Great form powers aren't in the usual sense "available" to a spirit that you've conjured - they have to be given to it. Can you imagine an ally with unlimited use of the storm power? Ridiculous.

Your ally spirit can posses you in the note about possesion traditions, it says that the possesion power replaces the materialization power so it could possese you. Thank you for answering, oh and storm wasnt the one i was worried about i was worried about regeneration.

No, REGULAR non-ally spirits get possession instead of materialization. Allies get INHABITATION or materialization. (It's presented as an option unrelated to whether you follow a "normal" or possessory tradition, by the way.) Inhabitation is what insect spirits do to their hosts. Have you ever heard of an insect shaman with channeling putting an insect spirit into his own body? No, because the rules provide that for inhabitation the mind of the host is DESTROYED. They are different powers. They are different powers. They are different powers. And channeling only effects possession, not inhabitation. Maybe you can make up some hyperexotic and advanced metamagic that allows others to do something like this with inhabitation. But players cannot do it.

And regeneration is far less worrisome as a defensive power than storm is as an offensive one (look at the area of effect! no drain! as often as you like until services run out!). Although I am still glad to see the nerfing they gave to Hidden Life...
hobgoblin
about ATMs, i would guess they are dispensers of certified credsticks now rather then physical cash. and the sticks would be recycled by the ATM in that when its empty its basicly not returned to the holder.

sounds to me like possesion have turned into the SR4's answer to SR2's achoring. hmm, i wonder how anchoring is done in SR4...
Slithery D
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
about ATMs, i would guess they are dispensers of certified credsticks now rather then physical cash. and the sticks would be recycled by the ATM in that when its empty its basicly not returned to the holder.

I don't understand this second sentence, but I possibly agree with the first. If you're going to make certified cred that easy to get, the dispensing machine would probably encode them as they're issued, so if you simply broke in you'd get blank sticks worth nothing.

Cash as an easy to get every day medium of exchange doesn't make sense in SR. Everyone should have a SIN, everyone should have a commlink, everyone should be able to do electronic payments. Sure, cash will exist in less technological places in the Sixth World, but not so much in Seattle. If you can get it, you probably have to go into a bank and do it personally. Maybe they have to report it to the FBI if you get more than a certain amount, too, or exchange too much for certified credit. Hope your fake SIN is up to snuff...

But this is all rather off topic. Even if ATMs exist, there are plenty of grounds to decide that routine security with wards or restricted access and surveilance makes a possession scheme unprofitable in the long run. There are more reasons to do decide a spirit just can't do it at all.
hobgoblin
in SR2 anchoring (the metamagic) was this "horrible" beast with multiple kinds of modifiers for when it triggerd and how long the triggerd spell could last. it could even delay the release of the spell for a set time after it got triggerd.

it all ended up with people trying to create stuff like magic bullets that would release a spell at whoever got hit by said bullet.
Slithery D
Incidentally, I didn't see any straight ban on allowing interesting critters to be inhabited, although the enchanting rules for preparing vessels makes it difficult. If you get a flesh form good merge you keep the "memories and skills" of the body. Critter powers, hey, why not? First player to put his ally in a cerebus/thunderbird/blackberry cat/whatever wins!
mfb
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Cash as an easy to get every day medium of exchange doesn't make sense in SR. Everyone should have a SIN, everyone should have a commlink, everyone should be able to do electronic payments.

that's not true at all. the Barrens are full of SINless people. you think all those go-gangs are full of SINners?
Slithery D
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Cash as an easy to get every day medium of exchange doesn't make sense in SR. Everyone should have a SIN, everyone should have a commlink, everyone should be able to do electronic payments.

that's not true at all. the Barrens are full of SINless people. you think all those go-gangs are full of SINners?

I'm talking about from the perspective of the in world powers that be. They don't use cash. Their customers that make them money don't use a lot of cash. The government and corps don't want it easy to use cash. Yes, the barrens and slums have no SINs. Give them a certified cred economy, temp fake sins through low level ganger hackers or organized crime that charge a hefty fee, a fair amount of barter, and, if you must, and isolated cash economy disconnected from the legal SINner society. Need a gun? Pay cash to the gang on the corner. Need something more legal? Pay cash to the mob or yakuza, they use legal channels to buy it for you, and they charge you a hefty conversion fee for the effort they take to launder your suspect, untraceable cash into legal, clean e-money. It's expensive to be poor!

Or put ATMs where the poor need them and it would make sense for legal businesses to provide - in the Barrens Stuffer Shack, with transaction fees that make today's casino and strip club ATMs look cheap. It's a marginal business for marginal players with more than marginal costs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012