Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PTSD = wired reflexes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wounded Ronin
A few weeks ago I read an article in a Yale medical magazine about how one of the yale staff members was working with people coming back from the war in Iraq with PTSD. The article said that one effect of PTSD is that the combat vet who is still mentally wired for a combat zone may do things like reflexively attack you if your startle him or come out of a bad dream swinging like John Henry.

This is consistient with stories I've heard of Vietnam vets. One person told me the story of his Vietnam vet roomate who had warned everyone living in the house to never startle him. One day the vet was talking on the phone and my friend knocked on the door and entered the room. The door knock "must not have registered" since the vet was on the phone, and the vet spun around with a pistol in his hand which he had apparently always carried on him concealed. The vet claimed that he was very very close to just having blown my friend away.

This sounds a bit like how SR describes wired reflexes as needing a reflex trigger and so on. If a character has wired reflexes that can't be turned off he walks around ready to explode into Init 30 violence very time he's startled.

Therefore, wouldn't it be fun to have an edge that could represent spastic automatic attack PTSD? Here's my open draft:

Spastic Vietnam War PTSD Reflexes

Spastic Vietnam War PTSD Reflexes (SVWPTSDR) mean that a character was never able to mentally rewire himself for peaceful day to day life outside of a combat zone after he'd been living in one for a little too long. This edge adds one dice to the initiative roll of any character who takes it.

The drawback of this edge is that whenever the character is startled by anyone, whenever the character successfully spots someone who is trying to use Stealth to hide, or whenever the character goes to sleep and someone else is also sleeping close enough to be punched, the character must make a Willpower (6) test or else immediately start attacking that person. The character may make a new Willpower (6) test at the end of each combat turn but until he succeeds at this test he will keep blindly attacking his victim even after the victim is dead or incapacitated.

If the character was asleep, is unarmed, or if his Unarmed Combat skill is higher than his Pistols or Edged Weapons skills, he must attack using Unarmed Combat. Otherwise, if the character's Pistols skill is higher than his Edged Weapons Skill or his Unarmed Combat kill, he is required to carry a concealable pistol on his person whenever possible (he should only be unarmed if he was captured and disarmed) and he must attack using that pistol. The same rule applies for Edged Weapons, which requires the character to always carry a concealed blade. If the character does not have any of the skills, this rule applies for whichever type of attack would give him the most defaulting dice to roll, with Edged Weapons taking priority over Unarmed Combat in the event of a tie.

If this edge is combined with Adrenaline Rush then both initiative dice the character will be rolling have the potential to "explode". However, the character is forced to always use Adrenaline Rush whenever possible and furthermore the Willpower test required to not reflexively attack described above is "upgraded" to a Willpower (8) test.

SVWPTSDR may also be combined with Wired Reflexes or other reflex enhancers although obviously this excludes combining SVWPTSDR with Adrenaline Rush. In that case SVWPTSDR provides an additional init dice on top of the bonuses the character already accrues from the other reflex enhancers. Even if the character has a reflex trigger, however, the SVWPTSDR bonus can never be turned off and if the character fails his Willpower test and attacks someone he is required to activate his Wired Reflexes as soon as he can in order to make a better attack.

The cost of this edge is 2 points, what with all the drawbacks and all.
Tziluthi
It's a good idea, but a little heavy on the excecution. Also, this might end up being a) unbalancing, and b) disruptive, as it gives munchkins an excuse to take another dice and be a general ass.

As I said, this is a good idea. It would be better just as a straight flaw, though. In fact, I'd say that most gunbunny/street sam types would end up with it, in reality.
TheNarrator
I don't think requiring them to carry a weapon is appropriate or necessary. The possibility of pulling a gun if they are carrying one (which a shadowrun character often would be) or attacking with their bare hands should be enough of a drawback. And the continuing-until-incapacitated thing is probably overkill: the initial, reflexive burst of violence seems sufficient. I mean, how often does it usually take a PTSD case to realize they're attacking a non-hostile?

I do like this, tho. I'm always on the lookout for ways for non-cybered, non-magic people to up their initiative so they aren't totally ineffectual in combat, and battle-honed PTSD reflexes seems like a good way to do that.

Also, maybe it shouldn't stack with Wired Reflexes/Improved Reflexes, for balance sake.
SL James
Adrenaline Surge...
SuperFly
As an Iraqi War veteran and a sufferer of PTSD I can tell you firsthand that it is:

A: No fun.
B: Absolutely detrimental to most personal relationships and one's social life.
and
C: Has no place in an RPG meant for enjoyment/fun.

Yes, people with PTSD will attack a person when startled, or throw blows when awakened suddenly (i have holes in my drywall to prove that) -- and yes, I believe that Wired Reflexes would indeed have these effects on a shadowrunner -- but as far as making rules for applying the effects of this trauma to your PC's, I would recommend you quit while you're ahead.

PTSD in a game should be treated as a roleplay issue, nothing more.
mfb
eh. i think the rules presented are a bit rules-heavy, but i don't think the concept is bad. a Will test to keep from reacting is pretty reasonable.

some people enjoy RP'ing unhappy people, for whatever reason, and PTSD sufferers certainly fall under the 'unhappy people' category. maybe they enjoy it because it's gritty. maybe they enjoy it because it helps them deal with their own issues. maybe they enjoy it because Rambo had it, and Rambo is teh awesomes.
SuperFly
Also, treating PTSD as an "Edge" is a ridiculous concept. Any 'edge' gained from freaking out is controlled by muscle memory/training the character already possesses.

If a player wants to RP a PTSD suffering shadowrunner, they'd better be willing to have their favorite character turn a gun on him/herself in a fit of depression. If anything, it's a detrimental flaw.
mfb
oh, yeah. my bad. it should definitely be a flaw, not an edge. no bonuses, just badness.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SuperFly @ Aug 14 2006, 04:02 PM)

Do you think the same of rape and advanced substance abuse?

My take: drop the initiative die, add a flat penalty to the test for any reflex enhancements (whether to Reaction or Initiative) and for Lightning Reflexes/Adrenaline Surge, and make it a -4 to -6 flaw.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SuperFly)

Well, don't you think you're being a little extreme when you say "no place"? Given that SR is supposed to be "dystopian" and this giant pit of socioeconomic despair, surely a tragic character with major personal problems shouldn't be off limits?

The reason this particular idea occurred to me to write up is because I've read three Vietnam war memoirs out here in the FSM, and two of them, "Gone Native" and "And A Hard Rain Fell" dealt with the major adjustment difficulties that returning Vietnam vets had when they returned to the US. I didn't think of it in a total vaccum but instead thought that some of the stuff that I read would definitely make engaging role playing material; how could it not?

Yes, people with PTSD will attack a person when startled, or throw blows when awakened suddenly (i have holes in my drywall to prove that) -- and yes, I believe that Wired Reflexes would indeed have these effects on a shadowrunner -- but as far as making rules for applying the effects of this trauma to your PC's, I would recommend you quit while you're ahead.

PTSD in a game should be treated as a roleplay issue, nothing more.

Personally, I like having mechanics to define exactly what does what. The way I see it that's the only way to make a role playing decision like taking an edge or flaw have "bite". If it's entirely up to the player to just role play something like a major psychological problem I feel like that's a little too convienient and not disruptive enough given the nature of the problem.

Of course that's just my personal style. As the GM I don't necessarily expect that the PCs should always "succeed" at everything they do and so therefore it's acceptable to me as both a player or a GM if a well laid plan of some kind ends up getting derailed for some substantive reason.
hyzmarca
It sounds sort of like the Beserk totem disadvantage. Really, mundane characters should hav ea chance to go beserk and attack the first handy target, too.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It sounds sort of like the Beserk totem disadvantage. Really, mundane characters should hav ea chance to go beserk and attack the first handy target, too.

You know, that's true. It always put me off a little bit how my mundanes never had an in-rule excuse to go berzerk. Think about it. If you've got a Bear shaman and he goes berzerk that's okay. But if you want to role play a mundane who goes berzerk everyone calls you a munchkin and hates you just because you weren't technically forced to do so by the rules. It's okay to play all manner of characters but for some reason the berzerker is not an acceptable character type at many gaming tables.
SuperFly
I have to say that the idea of using a 'berserker' type edge/flaw and calling it "Traumatic Flashbacks" or something (alla John Rambo, Brock Sampson, etc.) could be fun and useful in game. However, PTSD itself encompasses a lot more than just the freakouts -- one has to deal with discomfort and edginess in crowded or hectic environments, loss of all real emotions except anger/hatred/sadness, bi-polar type mood swings, complete apathy to otherwise serious personal/emotional situations, suicidal tendencies (and not the emo "my life is so dark" kind), inability to sleep, and many, many, many more.

Sure, it may sound glamorous to somebody wanting to play a "dark, gritty, brooding killer" type with a dark past and a dystopic outlook -- but in the real world, it sucks monkey nuts. Besides, every shadowrunner I've ever run with should be suffering horribly from this affliction after any lengthy amount of time in the shadows -- and sucking on their own hollow tipped bullets left and right. If you want to incorporate something as serious as PTSD into a game, water it down and put a twist on it like the example above.

My whole complaint was in the glorification of this very serious illness as something to milk a few more dice from. While my view may be admittedly biased, I still believe it holds water as a counter argument.
mfb
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
It always put me off a little bit how my mundanes never had an in-rule excuse to go berzerk.

silence, armchair warrior! combat monster flaw.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 14 2006, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
It always put me off a little bit how my mundanes never had an in-rule excuse to go berzerk.

silence, armchair warrior! combat monster flaw.

Combat Monster is not an excuse to go berserk. It is an excuse to remain berserk.

Mechanically, a character with Combat Monster has no greater chance of attacking random people than any other character. This character simply has more difficulty breaking off combat once it has started. One could have a Combat Monster/Total Pacifist without creating a rules contradiction since the Combat Monster doesn't actually have to attack anything. The Total Pacifist Combat Monster simply risks getting beaten up for three combat turns. No mundane Combat Monster ever risks attacking allies and bystanders, like the Bear Shaman does.
Critias
Combat Monster, combined with Impulsive, then. Will check to not just randomly jump into any fight you see, and Will checks to break off a fight before you've murdered the sumbitch.
LilithTaveril
If we're talking beserker rage, then what will we have to simulate the memory lapses that accompany it? If you just want to get close to it, then don't bother with that question.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Critias)
Combat Monster, combined with Impulsive, then. Will check to not just randomly jump into any fight you see, and Will checks to break off a fight before you've murdered the sumbitch.

First off, lol @ mfb's armchair warrior dig. I giggled outloud for an entire minute.

Secondly, personally I don't like the above solution because I would feel more comfortable with a specific rule. Rather than have something that is a little more open to interpretation and massage and not happening at a bad time, I'd rather have a specific written rule that says that the character must make the check in certain precise circumstances. (i.e., whenever the character notices someone who is trying to use Stealth to hide) That way, there'd be no argument in the middle of the session where the player whines, "But PTSD Rambo totally knows that Creeping Death is always crouchwalking in stealth mode, so he shouldn't have to reflexively punch him!". Instead, if the rule is clear, the disadvantage is clear cut, enforcable, and unarguable, and you really get something for your points. That's the way I see it.

Another angle: the more something is open to interpretation and is a GM call the more potential there is for conflict and resentment within the gaming group should something disastrous happen. If something like the PTSD twitch attack is very clearly articulated, though, then there's less room for paranoid imaginings since the rules were very clear from the getgo.

That dosen't mean that the relatively complex and detailed PTSD rules need to on the mind of every GM every time the play, either. It just means that in games where someone wants their PC to have this particular edge/flaw that edge/flaw has teeth and isn't something that people can basically massage out of when they would really like to do so.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SuperFly)

Sure, it may sound glamorous to somebody wanting to play a "dark, gritty, brooding killer" type with a dark past and a dystopic outlook -- but in the real world, it sucks monkey nuts. Besides, every shadowrunner I've ever run with should be suffering horribly from this affliction after any lengthy amount of time in the shadows -- and sucking on their own hollow tipped bullets left and right. If you want to incorporate something as serious as PTSD into a game, water it down and put a twist on it like the example above.

My whole complaint was in the glorification of this very serious illness as something to milk a few more dice from. While my view may be admittedly biased, I still believe it holds water as a counter argument.

Well, it's kind of like if someone wanted to play a character who was also a prostitute. In real life, being a prostitute probably isn't very glamorous and is probably actually all kinds of depression and all kinds of suck, right? In real life a lot of prostitutes aren't pretty and alluring but are actually fat, frumpy, and ugly. But does that mean that someone shouldn't be able to play a glamorous prostitute character? Maybe the concept is a little silly, but surely someone should be able to have a character like that if they want. Certainly, playing such a character wouldn't necessarily be making light of the real world serious issues of prostitution, human traffiking, and so forth.
SuperFly
A: So you're saying there needs to be a "Prostitution" Edge/Flaw? Or are you agreeing that PTSD should be RP'd and not handed out?

B: Last time I checked, prostitution is a profession, not a mental illness derived from traumatic experiences.

mfb
B is why i think PTSD is a viable subject for a flaw. most people who simply RP a PTSD sufferer are not going to actually have their characters attempt to hurt any of their teammates/loved ones/whatever. and the ones that will are probably going to use it as an excuse to create random havoc, rather than as a character development tool. if the choice of when to flip out is taken out of the player's hands, it's more likely that you'll actually get decent RP out of it.

maybe not calling the flaw PTSD would work better. PTSD is a whole complex of maladies, and we're talking about a fairly specific behavior. maybe call it "killer instincts" or something?
LilithTaveril
How about just calling it "berserker rage" and leaving it at that?

Oh, and some would argue that prostitution is a mental illness... typically the same people who argue that sex before marriage is a mental illness...
PoorHobo
It should be a flaw and get rid of the 1d6 to intitiave. Its been said before and bears repeating, PTSD involves pre-existing skills and reflexes. Traumatization does not make you magically better.
LilithTaveril
Except, as anyone who's ever woken up a PSTD sufferer can tell you, it does make them a lot better in some areas at the cost of potentially utterly destroying the rest of their lives.
mfb
sorta, but not really. it's not the PTSD making you better in those areas, it's the stuff you had to go through to get PTSD that makes you better. people who suffer PTSD because of non-combat-related stress--rape victims, hostage survivors, abusive relationship survivors, etcetera--don't turn into combat machines. they just don't react well to being startled.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (SuperFly)
As an Iraqi War veteran and a sufferer of PTSD I can tell you firsthand that it is:

A: No fun.
B: Absolutely detrimental to most personal relationships and one's social life.
and

I think C is entirely up to the gaming group. In any gaming group that you are involved in, I would say that C certainly applies, since it would obviously make things not-fun for you. But I don't think A or B has anything to do with that. In real-life, killing people is neither A nor B (or at least isn't, unless you're already seriously messed up), and yet it leads to a whole lot of fun in a table-top game where everyone knows they're just playing.

On a more personal level, I don't really know what to say to someone suffering from PTSD; somehow, "Get well soon" seems to fall short, but, um, thanks for going to war for me (and everyone else too, of course).
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SuperFly @ Aug 15 2006, 02:08 AM)
A: So you're saying there needs to be a "Prostitution" Edge/Flaw? Or are you agreeing that PTSD should be RP'd and not handed out?

B: Last time I checked, prostitution is a profession, not a mental illness derived from traumatic experiences.

Well, my point was more that something kind of nasty and usually very bad could certainly be part of a RPG, and someone might enjoy having a prostitute character.

That being said, even though "prostitution" would be difficult to write up as a flaw, I suppose someone could write up a flaw called "glamorous compulsive prostitution of fictionality". Much like the edge/flaw that I originally wrote up was not simply called "PTSD", but was rather called something to the effect of Vietnam War style spastic PTSD reflexes.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I suppose I could try and write up a general prostitution flaw although it would be quite a challenge to make it good. But it could be something where every month the GM makes a particular dice roll for a bunch of diseases you can get and you also get a random amount of extra income every month. Also, maybe every X years there'd be a certain chance of losing a point of charisma to represent how your character is getting more and more to resemble a used kleenex. It would be a bit like the Day Job flaw but you'd have these extra negatives attached for a few more points. Unfortunately it would be tough to implement these relatively small probabilities into a d6 engine, but I think that it would be at least possible to write up a prostitution flaw.

Which is something I guess I should clarify. You'll all note that what I called the edge (which I guess would make more sense as a flaw as some people have pointed out) wasn't jsut called PTSD, which is a pretty complex condition. Instead, I was only referring to spastic PTSD reflexes out of a Vietnam war memoir.
LilithTaveril
Actually, there is a real-life item that could concievably force the sufferer into prostitution. It's called nymphomania.

Just write up a nymphomania flaw and combine it with a daytime job flaw.
SuperFly
Whatever happened to good roleplaying?
The Stainless Steel Rat
Ditto Kage - No extra dice, just comine adrenaline surge with the drawback of wired reflexes. 2 pt flaw, incompatible with wired reflexes.
mfb
i'm really not sure giving it a benefit is wise. for one, it's a flaw--it's not supposed to have an upside. for two, it's not realistic. PTSD doesn't make anyone react to stimuli more quickly, it just dictates what their response will be. certain experiences, such as long periods of time spent in combat, can teach a person to react more quickly, and those experiences can also lead to PTSD--but PTSD in and of itself does not make you react more quickly.

as for just making in an rp thing, sure--that's one way to do it. but to me, those reactions are something the character can't easily control; therefore, i think, they should be something the player can't easily mitigate.
hyzmarca
I seem to remember a flaw that gives you pain resistance and unarmed combat bonuses in one very controversial book.
mfb
got it handy? i've got a lighter.
The Stainless Steel Rat
I'd add the surge effect as a flavor thing. It adds an average of 3.5 to init 1/6 of the time - less than a point and barely an appretiable benefit IMHO. It would just add to the flavor of the character being "jumpy".
mfb
that's the average, though, not the most common result. the character will also occasionally roll 21 on his initiative. it's not a great edge; i've never taken it, even on my non-cybered chars. but it is an edge.

regardless of how good it is, though, it's inaccurate, which is the really damning part to me. jumpy people don't necessarily react faster than anyone else, they just react in certain ways. that's true whether they suffer from PTSD or not.
Conskill
QUOTE (SuperFly @ Aug 15 2006, 12:08 AM)

There was a time when prostitutes were considered mentally ill, and a time when the natural Human traumatic reaction to killing other Humans wasn't.

Most disorders are culturally defined, including PTSD. The pathology of it can be seen for centuries, but defining it as a mental disorder only occured after political lobbying post-Vietnam.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SuperFly @ Aug 16 2006, 03:19 AM)
Whatever happened to good roleplaying?

Eh, my role playing sucks. Honestly. I try, really, I do, but I suck. Maybe I'm too uncreative, or maybe I'm too self conscious. I can really only do humor characters like Sho Kosugi. Either way, my style, and the thing I feel more comfortable with, is to write rules to reflect things I want to portray.

The other thing I'm concerned about usually is that if something is entirely "role played" it's probably going to convieniently not manifest at really crucial moments. This is either because the player forgets about it in the tension of the moment or else he is afraid to screw over the whole party at a crucial time by choosing to role play is flaw. If there's a rule that forces there to be a certain % possibility of him doing something disastrous at a key time that firstly keeps the element of risk real and somewhat out of control but it also takes the pressure off the player. It's OK if the player went and sucker punched Richard Villiers because of his PTSD reflexes because the written rules forced him to, whereas if he was only role playing the PTSD reflexes the other players would probably scream, "YOU BITCH BASTARD MUNCHKIN 12 YEAR OLD HACK AND SLASHER, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO PUNCH MAJOR NPCS JUST BECAUSE YOUR CHARACTER HAS MENTAL PROBLEMS AND GET US ALL KILLED! IT'S ONLY APPROPRIATE TO PUNCH NPCS WHO ARE CLEARLY DESIGNATED VILLIANS! BUT SHOULD YOUR CHARACTER BE ERRATIC IN ANY WAY WELL THAT IS JUST CLUE FILE MATERIALS!"
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Aug 16 2006, 04:41 PM)
The other thing I'm concerned about usually is that if something is entirely "role played" it's probably going to convieniently not manifest at really crucial moments.  This is either because the player forgets about it in the tension of the moment or else he is afraid to screw over the whole party at a crucial time by choosing to role play is flaw.

Quoted for truth. I play a number of characters who, in my conception of them, have very significant and deep flaws that can, in certain cases, cause them to be unreliable.

I've tried to play them that way. I really have. Maybe I'm just not a good roleplayer because I can't sit there and say "I do the wrong thing at this critical moment", because I can't bring myself to say "I choose to get everyone else's character screwed over and possibly killed because my character can't get it together right now". The fact remains, though, that I can't, and with very minor exceptions my characters have therefore done the best thing in any given situation (at least as far as I can see it), even when they should have been doing something stupid.

When roleplaying fails, like then, rules come in. With a good, solid set of rules, I don't have the choice to decide between keeping my character concept pure and not screwing over the team—or rather, I only have that choice at chargen. That makes it a lot easier to play the character you've written, rather than Mr./Ms. Flawless.

~J
mfb
same here. i mean, i've said it before: i come to the table to play an interesting character, but i also come to the table to 'win' the game--to beat the opposition i'm presented with using the tools my character has on hand. and when it comes down to taking the (ooc) correct action or (ooc) intentionally screwing up because it fits the character... hell, man, i'm only human.
PoorHobo
because I can't bring myself to say "I choose to get everyone else's character screwed over and possibly killed because my character can't get it together right now"

But if its a flaw that you choose, its the exact same thing. "Sorry guys, failed to get a 10 on my will check, because of my flaw that I chose, now I have to punch the president" You still screwed the group over you just get to pretend you didn't have a choice in the matter.

If you primary intrest is in not screwing the group then you wouldn't have taken the flaw in the first place.
hyzmarca
So, no one here games with the goal of dying in the most Jackassiest way possible. I mean, so long as you accomplish your goal, you win, right. If your goal is an utterly stupid TPK then it isn't easy to lose.

I will admit that I once played a character who did do the "wrong" thing due to mental illness. Of course, this was a D&D character with an absurd amount of GM approved munchiness (The GM really didn't want anyone to ruin his storyline by getting killed off). This particular character, a heavily armed halfling fighter with an addiction to hallucinogenic mushrooms and an elaborate hallucination induced delusion that he was a member of a secret society dedicated to the pursuit of justice and the protection of the innocent.
His attempts to perfect those he perceived to be innocent led to such escapades as attacking a group of castle guards who were fighting off murderous brigands and jumping to the defense of a (evil D&D regenerating) troll who was trying to kill him throughout the encounter.
I must admit, the only reason that character didn't die before the campaign fizzled was a combination of a lenient GM and absurdly low AC. Of course, there was a little bit of metagaming there. I knew that the GM wouldn't smack the character down so I could do some very stupid things without fear of deadly consequences.

But, this wasn't the same as having a PTSD character flip out and attack a team mate. I wasn't intentionally doing stupid things. Rather, I was making the best decisions I could make. I was simply basing those decisions on the hallucinatory fantasy world that only myself and my character were privy to. In essence, I wasn't playing the game badly. I was just playing a completely different game from everyone else (including the GM).
I suspect it would be more difficult for me to pick an opportune time of a PTSD attack because it isn't exactly something an individual can control. Randomly choosing when and where simply doesn't cut it because one can justify using it in situations that don't warrant it and no using it in situations that would. Instead, it should be compulsory and resisted with willpower. It should be something that happens to the character, not something that the player chooses. You can't just say "Rambo is able to use his superior willpower to keep his cool in this situation" without any justification. You need a willpower roll to back you up. If you have a willpower roll, then you need a rule that tells you when to make it.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (PoorHobo)
But if its a flaw that you choose, its the exact same thing.  "Sorry guys, failed to get a 10 on my will check, because of my flaw that I chose, now I have to punch the president"  You still screwed the group over you just get to pretend you didn't have a choice in the matter.

If you primary intrest is in not screwing the group then you wouldn't have taken the flaw in the first place.

Well, as for the character having the flaw in the first place, that can be handled by making it clear to the other players' characters that the flawed character has the flaw while there's still time for them to ditch him. If you make a character that could destroy the group, you have to be prepared for the rest of the group to not work with the character. Shadowrunners usually have control over who they run with.
LilithTaveril
And even if they have no choice but to have the guy in the group, accidents do happen... like them "accidentally" getting in between your AK-97 on full auto and the enemy.
mfb
QUOTE (PoorHobo)
But if its a flaw that you choose, its the exact same thing. "Sorry guys, failed to get a 10 on my will check, because of my flaw that I chose, now I have to punch the president" You still screwed the group over you just get to pretend you didn't have a choice in the matter.

it's not the same thing at all. you only have to pick the flaw once; after that, it's out of your hands. all you can do is deal with the aftermath. if it's just background, every time the opportunity comes up, you're faced with the temptation to not RP it just this once because, this time, it's really important to succeed.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (PoorHobo)
But if its a flaw that you choose, its the exact same thing.

No, it's meaningfully different—if it's a flaw that you chose, it means you made that decision at chargen, and not (for example) in the hallway where the nice corporate secretary just accidentally snuck up behind you. There's some advanced warning there, and because it's on your sheet there's no way people will fall into the trap of thinking "but he/she won't get us all killed"—everyone else (OOC) knows about your condition, knows you don't control it, and can react accordingly.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012