Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gun Safety
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
zeb.hillard
Yes, sue me, I haven't used the search function yet. In my opinion, if it isn't on the first two or three pages it doesn't exist. nyahnyah.gif

The street samurai in the group I am going to run for wants to put a surefire safety on her handgun loaded with ExEx, and only that gun, in the form of a biometric monitor (Much like Judge Dread but without the weird helmets). However, if I recall correctly, the book doesn't give a size, weight, or any in-depth information on the Biometric readers.

Should I just take half-again the price of the reader onto the gun, or does anyone else out there have something formulated for this kind of firearm upgrade?
hobgoblin
heh, go with skinlink and a special (ie, gm handwave) smartlink code for that kinda use for now.
i have a feel that arsenal will have a lot of toys to play around with for this kinda use.

hmm, i wonder if the topic of this thread will summon any of the firearms demons...
zeb.hillard
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
heh, go with skinlink and a special (ie, gm handwave) smartlink code for that kinda use for now.
i have a feel that arsenal will have a lot of toys to play around with for this kinda use.

hmm, i wonder if the topic of this thread will summon any of the firearms demons...

That's actually, probably, the best way to go for it. Thanks for noting my obvious oversight.
Charon
If the weapon's smartlink is subscibed to your commlink, I think you can put on the safety remotely should a thug somehow end up with your weapon. I guess that would the economical option to gun safety.

You can go for a biometric gimmick but it's kind of annoying. You can't use your weapon with glove. Not that it matters much, given that your biometrics info are in the gun anyway.

That's the kind of thing that makes more sense for a police officer than for a professional criminal, IMO.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Charon)
If the weapon's smartlink is subscibed to your commlink, I think you can put on the safety remotely should a thug somehow end up with your weapon. I guess that would the economical option to gun safety.

This would mean leaving the wireless capabilities of your gun turned on all the time though. Think about that.
Kesh
Easiest solution is pretty much given above. For extra security, go for a cyberware commlink, so yours cant be taken from you.
hawklost
I believe I would be more worried about a hacker/TM hacking the link and causing the gun's safety to be turned on/off at inappropreate times. Considering that having your safety turn on and then your clip to be ejected while trying to fire at someone would be a mite inconvenient for some people.

On the other hand, there is nothing stopping yoru own teams Hacker/TM from doing the same thing if the opposition fools keep their link to their gun open. Unless I am mistaken, it can't be too hard to hack/jam a guns wireless signal. (If I am mistaken, then please accept my apologies.)
Conskill
It's not hard if you're hugging them.

A device with signal rating 0 (which I'd imagine a gun possesses) doesn't transmit far enough to safely hack even in a pistol-range battle.
Jaid
according to the BBB, the biometric scanner accessory can work with "any electronic device". in SR4, that includes your gun, and especially if it's a smartgun. simply skinlink them together, and you're good to go.
The Jopp
You dont even need biometric safety, all you need is a Linked passcode (see page 215, passcodes). The streetsam must give a code to the gun and the gun in turn doublechecks with a registry of codes on your smartlink.

If someone else takes the gun they must either hack it or remove the smartlink.
Rotbart van Dainig
Or, if you want to use magic - let a spirit posess the gun and block it if the user has the wrong aura.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012