LOL thats pretty wild!
Kagetenshi
His site's down.

~J
xizor
Hmm. The begining of FFBA...
and the site is up again.
Kagetenshi
Not where I am. Google cache doesn't have anything either--what is it like?

(Just in case, note that I'm talking about Mr. Caballero's site, not the linked article)

~J
LilithTaveril
It's about bullet-proof clothing. As in, the kind of clothing you can wear around the house or to a social function.

Edit: From what I see, he doesn't have a website. I've got nothing. But, I have the flaw of incompetence (search engines).
Fix-it
those thing won't stop much. I garuntee you that.
Samaels Ghost
It's about tricking suckers into buying that crap. Bravo to the company that can sell them.
LilithTaveril
Well, the best part is the fact that you can easily buy a gun that shoots through it. I can imagine some idiot buying those clothes and attempting to rob a bank.
Samaels Ghost
rotfl.gif
FanGirl
How big a gun would it take to pierce this armor? It seems to me that this clothing is primarily intended not to protect one from BFGs, but rather to protect one from pistols and other handguns. Handguns may deal less damage, but they're the most common type of firearm used by criminals according to this report from the U.S. Justice Department. Some of their findings:
According to the Victim Survey (NCVS), 25% of the victims of rape and sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated assault in 1993 faced an offender armed with a handgun.  Of all firearm-related crime reported to the survey, 86% involved handguns.
The FBI's Supplemental Homicide Reports show that 57% of all murders in 1993 were committed with hand-guns, 3% with rifles, 5% with shotguns, and 5% with firearms where the type was unknown.
The 1991 Survey of State Prison Inmates found that violent inmates who used a weapon were more likely to use a handgun than any other weapon; 24% of all violent inmates reported that they used a handgun.
Research by Wright and Rossi in the 1980's found that most criminals prefer guns that are easily concealable....

This suggests to me that, when criminals are picking out their firearms, they tend to go for the smaller-sized ones. Now, I'm far from a weapons expert, so I could very easily be wrong, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that this bulletproof clothing is sufficient to protect one from handgun fire (we know that the coat is at least strong enough to stop a revolver bullet) - and AFAIK, this will be enough to protect today's corporate wageslaves from the kind of gunfire they are likely to encounter. Note that these clothes are being marketed to corporate wageslaves, not to soldiers, gangers, shadowrunners, or other non-white collar types.
Samaels Ghost
Exactly, the suckers biggrin.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Exactly, the suckers biggrin.gif

yeah, because who wants a dental plan and a steady paycheck. also being able to form healthy, stable, long lasting relationships is for lamers am i rite?!?!1

biggrin.gif jk, of course. after all, who has healthy and stable relationships anymore!

frown.gif ever since I broke up with my gf it's hard to look at a woman without seeing the evil frown.gif

on a more relevant note; it's interesting to see the market open up in this direction, though. mainstreaming these sorts of products is a sign of a different mindset on the part of society... these products may not be zomg supar31337, but give time to develope, they may become viable.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (FanGirl)
How big a gun would it take to pierce this armor?

It is most likely NIJ level III-A armor, so any high velocity rounds will do -- FN P90/HK MP7 -like weapons, any rifles, or any sort of armor piercing ammunition will go right through. Or you can just shoot him in the groin, legs, arms or head.
venenum
Or if you know he is wearing bullet proof clothing you could just use a knife, it wont stop that, of corse then you have to get close. But hey, if people want to buy it let them. Fewer fools on earth, wink.gif Just kidding!
Snow_Fox
Or just go right at the stuff with a heavy pistol round and let the kenetic energy break ribs.
Astelaron
You can get versions of the clothes made to stop knives as well. So buy a long coat with level III-A and an undershirt with stab protection and you'll be protected from everything up to an UZI. The undershirt might even decrease the chance of broken ribs.

Here is the clothing website for those that havn't found it already.
LilithTaveril
So, basically, you're still royally fucked when someone pulls out a .45
mfb
eh? no. unless i'm mistaken, any vest that will stop a 9mm (small and fast, ergo more likely to pierce something) is going to stop a .45 (big and slow, ergo less likely to pierce something). broken ribs are another matter--albeit one you're likely to survive, all else being equal.
ShadowDragon8685
And when he thinks he just put you down with one shot, and he comes over to rifle your pocket, you put your .45 colt in his face and send him a couple rounds of hollowpoint loving.

Of course, preferably you would have shot him before he shot you, but as long as you live to see tomorrow's sunrise and he dosen't, s'all good. Failing that, as long as you live to see tomorrow's sunrise....
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (mfb)
eh? no. unless i'm mistaken, any vest that will stop a 9mm (small and fast, ergo more likely to pierce something) is going to stop a .45 (big and slow, ergo less likely to pierce something). broken ribs are another matter--albeit one you're likely to survive, all else being equal.

Actually, no. Type II protects against 9mm, but doesn't stop a .45. Keep in mind that, in the testing they did in the article, the pistol was a .38.

Now, looking at their catalogue, I can say that the clothes will be useful against a .45, and will definitely be useful for robbing a bank with (up until the guys with rifles arrive).
eidolon
Pretty cool.
Fresno Bob
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
It's about tricking suckers into buying that crap. Bravo to the company that can sell them.

Right. It won't stand up to continued assault from every gun firing every type of round known to man, so obviously its completely useless.
Herald of Verjigorm
Some people won't be happy until they get a Hampster Ball of Invincibility™ and can go rolling through town with no care about how many RPGs are fired at them.
LilithTaveril
Well, you can actually do that now. You just need a lot of titanium and a really large hill.
Samaels Ghost
Oh please. If you really need this crap then go all out. Buy an actual armor vest. Or more.
Ed_209a
If I need IIIa protection to get to my white-collar job, I need a different job.

If I remember correctly, IIIa is the "subgun and magnum" class of armor.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Actually, no. Type II protects against 9mm, but doesn't stop a .45. Keep in mind that, in the testing they did in the article, the pistol was a .38.

NIJ level II absolutely does stop .45 ACP FMJs. Hell, II-A does that admirably well -- the 0101.03 version of the Selection and Application Guide to Police Body Armor says "[Level II-A armor] also provides protection against such threats as .45 Auto., .38 Special +P, and some other factory loads in caliber .357 Magnum and 9mm, as well as the Type I threats." They just stopped mentioning .45 ACP in 0101.04 (the latest) and the related SAG. You can get the full 0101.04 (Revision A) here (largeish PDF).

Again, those vests mentioned in the article are most likely III-A, which is by far the most selling level of flexible body armor today, which means it will stop anything up to and including .355" 124gr FMJs at 1400fps (long barrel 9x19mm or .357 Magnum equivalent) and .429" 240gr JHPs at 1400fps (a hefty .44 Magnum load) with little backface deformation, ie. minimal blunt trauma. It will stop loads significantly hotter than that, but those generally cause more than a 1.73" deformation in the backing clay.
LilithTaveril
Austere, thus the problem: When I did the research, it didn't mention anything about any level being able to stop a .45, but it was easy to see that level III-A does.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Aug 19 2006, 03:02 AM)
(we know that the coat is at least strong enough to stop a revolver bullet)

ZOMG 500 magnum revolver KE KE KE KE oh those jokers at smith and wesson...

In the same search I got some random related fear mongering: http://www.vpc.org/press/0406vest.htm

Here is your moment of Zen, from the above link:

"This vest-busting 50-caliber handgun draws a bead on every law enforcement officer in America," said Tom Diaz, VPC senior policy analyst and study author. "It is unfortunately only the latest example of dangerously reckless marketing by America's virtually unregulated gun industry." Diaz further noted that the .500 Magnum handgun, first introduced in February 2003, is already appearing at gun shows, notorious as sources of criminal gun trafficking. In addition, he pointed out, at least one shoulder holster is being sold for the Magnum revolver, thus making it easy for criminals to carry the gun concealed.

Yeah, it's gotta be super concealable because now it has a holster.
Firewall
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Yeah, it's gotta be super concealable because now it has a holster.

Well +2 conceal if you choose the concealable ones...

To be fair, I am just a Brit, so I am not going to get started on US gun laws. As to this gun, it does look a bit like overkill. I mean, what do you want to shoot with it? Like the review said, it is going to appeal to people just because it is new and bigger but people will have to think up a good reason for it later.

In-game, I suppose this is another one of those examples of hand-guns designed for taking down a troll. I mean, it just screams anti-troll... A handgun with a rifle's damage-code.
Smokeskin
I'm not sure I see the big deal about that .500 S&W. It may be big, but it is still a slow bullet. It shouldn't even come near the performance of a rifle bullet. Sure it may carry lots of kinetic energy, but AFAIK kinetic energy is a very poor measure of stopping power.

It also only holds 6 bullets, is hard to conceal, and probably has massive recoil. You could easily make a case that glock 19 9mm semiautomatics are a much larger threat than a .500 revolver. They're easier to conceal, hold 18 bullets so they can shoot more times and potentially kill many more people, and with lower recoil allowing for faster and more precise follow-up shots.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
fear mongering

Well fuck me, that shit is truly idiotic. I hope nobody's told them about these or these.

QUOTE (Firewall)
I mean, what do you want to shoot with it?

Big, tough, dangerous game. Lions, buffalos, hippos, elephants, rhinos. And paper targets, obviously.

QUOTE (Smokeskin)
It may be big, but it is still a slow bullet. It shouldn't even come near the performance of a rifle bullet. Sure it may carry lots of kinetic energy, but AFAIK kinetic energy is a very poor measure of stopping power.

Well that's just it. Kinetic energy doesn't necessarily tell you anything about how well something kills you. The .500 S&W, on the face of it, is much better designed for killing people than many rifle rounds: it's massive, by both size and weight, and thus capable of causing extremely wide wounds as deep as you could ever hope for. It just so happens you can easily get 2500ft-lbs of KE at the muzzle out of a .500 S&W (440 grainer at 1600fps), and that's in .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO territory -- and we all know how insanely nasty those can be against people.

Of course, much depends on exactly what you meant by performance, here. It certainly hasn't got the armor penetration potential, the range or the accuracy.

QUOTE (Smokeskin)
You could easily make a case that glock 19 9mm semiautomatics are a much larger threat than a .500 revolver.

Absolutely. Hence the stupidity of people going on about Barrett M82s, Desert Eagles, etc.
Firewall
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Firewall)

Big, tough, dangerous game. Lions, buffalos, hippos, elephants, rhinos.

Hunting a rhino or a hippo with a handgun? That is going to take some real balls...
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
It may be big, but it is still a slow bullet. It shouldn't even come near the performance of a rifle bullet. Sure it may carry lots of kinetic energy, but AFAIK kinetic energy is a very poor measure of stopping power.

Of course, much depends on exactly what you meant by performance, here. It certainly hasn't got the armor penetration potential, the range or the accuracy.

I meant that I don't think it'll penetrate armor anything like a rifle. The only thing it has going for it seems to be large kinetic energy, and the question is will this cause enough blunt trauma to pose a serious risk?
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Firewall)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Aug 21 2006, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Firewall)

Hunting a rhino or a hippo with a handgun? That is going to take some real balls...

You don't have to be hunting to shoot those. It could be self defense. Hippos are by far the largest man-killer in africa (if you don't count disease-bearing bugs ofc)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Firewall)

AFAIK, the Big Five have all been bagged with the .500 S&W, most of them several times I imagine. Handgun big game hunting isn't a huge sport, but some people do take it rather seriously. In any case, the only thing that makes the .500 S&W less than optimal for hunting these is the fact that it's a revolver and not a rifle. The cartridge itself is as good for big game as anything.

QUOTE (Smokeskin)
I meant that I don't think it'll penetrate armor anything like a rifle. The only thing it has going for it seems to be large kinetic energy, and the question is will this cause enough blunt trauma to pose a serious risk?

Yep, it won't. With 440gr @ 1600fps I imagine it would be able to bash through most level III-A, but with blunt trauma alone it would certainly be a far poorer weapon for engaging armored opponents than, say, the Taurus 30C (.308" 110gr FMJ at 1800fps = ouch). [Edit]The Raging Hornet and Bee might be better examples, with .22"-ish 45/46-grainers in the 2500fps-range. I seriously doubt III-A will have what it takes to stop that.[/Edit]
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
It may be big, but it is still a slow bullet. […] Sure it may carry lots of kinetic energy

You are familiar with the equation for kinetic energy, right? How big it is is nearly irrelevant.

~J
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 21 2006, 04:33 AM)
It may be big, but it is still a slow bullet. […] Sure it may carry lots of kinetic energy

You are familiar with the equation for kinetic energy, right? How big it is is nearly irrelevant.

Yes, I'm aware of the equation. This bullet apparently carries more kinetic energy than a 7.62mm NATO rifle round, which is why I wrote it.

Btw, are you aware that bullet mass is proportional to the square of the caliber? This makes diameter just as "relevant" as velocity regarding kinetic energy. If we assume that bullet length also increases with caliber, caliber even becomes more important than velocity for increasing kinetic energy.
Chrome Shadow
Does that fashionable armor come in shoking pink???
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
This bullet apparently carries more kinetic energy than a 7.62mm NATO rifle round, which is why I wrote it.

Yeah, about 45-50 ft-lbs more at the muzzle than the US standard M80 Ball 7.62x51mm round. smile.gif To be fair, that's comparing the hottest commercially available .500 S&W load to one of the weaker 7.62x51mm loads -- generally speaking, the former is a tad behind the latter in KE.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 21 2006, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 21 2006, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 21 2006, 04:33 AM)

Yes, I'm aware of the equation. This bullet apparently carries more kinetic energy than a 7.62mm NATO rifle round, which is why I wrote it.

Btw, are you aware that bullet mass is proportional to the square of the caliber? This makes diameter just as "relevant" as velocity regarding kinetic energy. If we assume that bullet length also increases with caliber, caliber even becomes more important than velocity for increasing kinetic energy.

Yes. Assuming that the bullet is a perfect cylinder (which is never true but we can assume) the mass of the bullet would be equal to length*pi(radius)^2*average density.

Since calibur is a measure of diameter, increasing the caliber would increase the mass, assuming that nothing else is altered.

However, it is not true that nothing else is altered. It is unlikely that there will be a demand for armor piercing .500 slugs, meaning no tungsten or depleted uranium rounds in that caliber.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It is unlikely that there will be a demand for armor piercing .500 slugs [...]

Rather.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
Btw, are you aware that bullet mass is proportional to the square of the caliber?

Yep! But when you increase the mass without changing the propellant, you decrease the velocity for a net reduction in kinetic energy. If you add propellant, you generally could have gotten more kinetic energy by just doing that in the first place without adding mass.

There are reasons for adding mass, but kinetic energy gains are very rarely among them.

~J
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 21 2006, 08:16 AM)
Btw, are you aware that bullet mass is proportional to the square of the caliber?

Yep! But when you increase the mass without changing the propellant, you decrease the velocity for a net reduction in kinetic energy. If you add propellant, you generally could have gotten more kinetic energy by just doing that in the first place without adding mass.

There are reasons for adding mass, but kinetic energy gains are very rarely among them.

~J

Look mate, you replied this to me:

As pointed out, that bullet carries more KE than some 7.62mm NATO loads. So you got some facts about the weapon at hand wrong and implied I didn't know basic physics.

Why you're retorting with all this about "there's no reason to add massa" I don't know. No one said that. No one thinks KE is that important. It's more like derived property of other factors that are important for wound ballistics and penetration. It's like evaluating sprinters and then talking about how hard they punch. Sure some of the stuff that makes them run fast also makes them able to punch hard, but really who cares.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
QUOTE (Firewall @ Aug 21 2006, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Aug 21 2006, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Firewall)

You don't have to be hunting to shoot those. It could be self defense. Hippos are by far the largest man-killer in africa (if you don't count disease-bearing bugs ofc)

Exactly. Not only is big game hunting with large revolvers a hobby but sometimes people who go camping in areas that have dangerous animals, such as bears, might carry a large caliber revolver with them in case they need to defend themselves from the wildlife. Should you need to shoot a bear or a boar you're going to want a very damaging round because if you don't stop that animal quickly it would be really awful.
hyzmarca
I was watching a news program recently (something on ABC or NBC) which featured a guy who was really into bear conservation. He'd go up to this national park in Alaska to spend time with the bears and he'd video tape the whole thing. He never brought any weapons with him, not even peper spray. He and his girlfriend just happened to be eaten by a bear one day. They left their camera on during the incident but the lens cap was on. So, there was audio of them being eaten but no video. While he was still alive he was screaming for his girlfriend to hit the bear with a frying pan. She did, but it obviously didn't work.

Really, if you have a reason to atack a bear .500 S&W is going to seem like a pea shooter. Quite frankly, a M3 MAAWS would seem a bit underpowered in that situation.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 22 2006, 01:33 AM)
Really, if you have a reason to atack a bear .500 S&W is going to seem like a pea shooter. Quite frankly, a M3 MAAWS would seem a bit underpowered in that situation.

Ehm, that's what laymen would call a rocket launcher (that's what we used it for in the army, to launch 84mm rockets, though you can get other rounds for it AFAIK). http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl10-e.htm. Having carried that thing, and the ammo for it, on several occasions, I would consider it too unwieldy for your average hiking trip. Reloading is also a bit cumbersome.

Critias
There's no need for something as specialized, expensive, expensive to shoot, cumbersome, and unwieldy as a .50 handgun. I figure my 9mm Glock 19 will work just fine for a bear-defense carry piece, if we ever end up hiking in areas where that sort of attack is common...

...not because I think it'll stop a bear, make no mistake. I plan on shooting my wife in the knee with it, and running.

Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.
Raygun
Maybe you two shouldn't come up here after all... wink.gif

And Timothy Treadwell (the guy hyzmarca mentioned) was a full-on nutcase (witness Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man). Don't hug the grizzly bears. They are not your friends. But if you do end up around one that's pissed off, a 440 grain hard cast lead bullet upside the head is likely to change its mind about whatever it was planning on doing. Anything short of that is kind of sketchy.

A few years ago, a hunter up near Dupuyer (about 90ish miles from here) ran across a grizzly sow with three cubs. She charged, so he smacked her right in the noggin with a .270 Winchester at about 10-15 yards. She took a little nap and acted pretty strange for a while after that (according to the FWP biologists), but she and the cubs lived through it. With some help from the Montana FWP, that is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012