Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SmartGun Perspective
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samaels Ghost
My GM last game had a little trouble deciding what visibility modifiers to apply to a PC firing at a target using his SmartGun camera to aim.

The opponent was under a table and the PC was standing. The PC, without dropping low enough to actually see the guy, fired on him. At first we were going to say it was blind-fire, but then we remembered his smartcam. The PC could see him, but the GM said that the angle and perspective of the camera would be so awkward that firing this way would be almost as disorienting as trying to shoot blind.
Should Blind-fire's Intuition rule stay in effect while using SmartGun for indirect fire? What mods apply, according to the rules, to such a situation?

Looking through the book, I'm stumped. frown.gif
bitrate
the presence of the cross hair in your sight i would think would negate the blind fire part, even with any awkward position from not stooping to the target's level. anyone can line a cross hair up on something and pull the trigger. it might be more acceptable to apply penalties to the subsequent shots due to the weapon's kick putting you in a weird position.

i mean, isnt that how the guys in the airforce with the remote planes do things? line em up and take the picture? (course i am in no way a military buff, i only know that remote control planes exist in that branch because a friend of mine is currently serving and that is his job).
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (bitrate)
the presence of the cross hair in your sight i would think would negate the blind fire part, even with any awkward position from not stooping to the target's level. anyone can line a cross hair up on something and pull the trigger. it might be more acceptable to apply penalties to the subsequent shots due to the weapon's kick putting you in a weird position.

i mean, isnt that how the guys in the airforce with the remote planes do things? line em up and take the picture? (course i am in no way a military buff, i only know that remote control planes exist in that branch because a friend of mine is currently serving and that is his job).

That's the take we have on it. If you can assimilate it thinking of it as just "a video game" then it makes sence you wouldn't inherit any other penalties. Maybe using a Free Action to change perspectives or something if you are looking to model that disorientation that might occur.
Samaels Ghost
Our GM explained how he thought the shooting worked. He said that there would be a window in your field of vision that shows the camera feed and that any crosshairs would be shown there. Think of it as Picture in Picture. Off to the side. Shooting in some tiny window in your feild of veiw would be disorienting because you're shooting as if you're the camera.

I thought of it as integrated into what you're veiwing. Like the camera filling in the gaps of what's going on under the table as if you're seeing through the table. The crosshairs would be shown projected onto this hybrid veiw.

Is my interpretation right, or his?
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I thought of it as integrated into what you're veiwing. Like the camera filling in the gaps of what's going on under the table as if you're seeing through the table. The crosshairs would be shown projected onto this hybrid veiw.

This is a neat idea, but I don't think it's what happens since the SGL feed would be a different angle altogether. I suppose you could say the SGL does that sort of thing and hence the +2 dice bonus, but in the case of "Gun-Cam", I think your GM has the more accurate interpretation.
RunnerPaul
The way I'd handle it is to allow a free action mode-change to go from guncam window being a tiny picture-in-picture in the corner of your field of view, to being a large window, preventing you from seeing anything but guncam footage.
cx2
The way I read it was that the smartgun link puts crosshairs on your normal view, along with what it thinks are targets being highlighted. I could imagine the smartlink in the cyber eyes or wherever having some sort of perspective correction system built in, and it's how it sounds in the fluff.

I would imagine three possibilities:
First you are firing at a highlight which is imposed over the table, but not likely
2 you need to close your eyes and let the camera view take over
3 You need to actively pull up the camera view

That's assuming there's enough light under the table to shoot.
Teulisch
hes behind a table? go to the cover rules. if he has full cover, the penalty is as bad as blind-fire.

if you get a gun camera (not just a smartgun link), then that can give you the cameras LOS for visibility- such as shooting under tables. The SGL by itself simply tells you where in your feild of view the gun is pointing at. now whats around a corner or under a table.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Teulisch)
if you get a gun camera (not just a smartgun link)

As SmartGun features a camera as default in SR4.
HullBreach
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Our GM explained how he thought the shooting worked. He said that there would be a window in your field of vision that shows the camera feed and that any crosshairs would be shown there. Think of it as Picture in Picture. Off to the side. Shooting in some tiny window in your feild of veiw would be disorienting because you're shooting as if you're the camera.

Hmmm.....this sounds like an interesting concept for a piece of gear, as sort of vision systems multiplexer.

I'll write up rules and put it on my site tonight. I like this!

Samael's Ghost: If you want credit for this on the site, and a character quote attatched to it, PM me!

2bit
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)

Don't let your GM impose blind fire for that shot. You can definitely use your smartgun cam to make targeted shots around obstacles. I would say the cam feed is a 2D image displayed in a window in your vision though. I don't think the camera feed will fill in gaps in your vision, though it will project a dot or crosshairs where you're currently aiming through the table. I would agree with your GM that it would be a bit disorienting but not on the level of blind fire. You wouldn't get your str bonus for recoil reduction and any uncompensated recoil might be magnified at gm's discretion, depending on how you have to hold the weapon.
Dragonscript
This is how the military currently use cameras mounted on guns: You have a view finder that goes over one of your eyes that gives you the feed from the camera. This way your just swing your rifle around a corner to see what is there. Most camera guns are not used for firing, just t osee what is around the corner.

But then this games takes place 65 years from now and anything is possible.
Aaron
I don't think any special equipment is needed to image real locations of targets. You can tag things in AR pretty much for free, so getting that data and displaying it isn't a problem.

An example that came up was a target hiding behind a wall. A microdrone snuck around and spotted the target, broadcasting the target's location on the team's AR. The target then got the extra protection from the wall, but not blindfire, since he was outlined on everyone's imagelink. Of course, one couldn't cast spells on him.

As for firing around corners, if I was the GM, I'd impose a double recoil penalty on the shooter, and take away recoil compensation for things like shockpads.
Shrike30
A situation like that (a drone spotting a target) would get the -6 blind fire modifier, but a +3 AR modifier. I'd be inclined to do something similar for smartguns fired around corners.

The other option would be that you could simply remove the smartgun bonus if the smartcam is being used to fire, rather than as an aid to normal firing.
Smokeskin
I think we can fairly easily assume that your AR has the ability to present the guncam image big and clear in the center of your vision if that's what you want, and even place it on the gun and contort it so the "image plane" was perpendicular to firing direction if that helps you control it.

As to how awkward this would be, just test it. Take your digital camera or phone camera and try aiming around corners with. It's not really awkward aiming at all. Impose the firing from cover modifier -1, and perhaps another -1 because you can't really get a good firing position. Blind fire, no way IMO.
ethinos
QUOTE (Shrike30)
A situation like that (a drone spotting a target) would get the -6 blind fire modifier, but a +3 AR modifier.  I'd be inclined to do something similar for smartguns fired around corners.

The other option would be that you could simply remove the smartgun bonus if the smartcam is being used to fire, rather than as an aid to normal firing.

I agree with your second idea.

You can see the target, but you are lacking depth perception. Therefore you should be able to fire just fine, but like you said, minus the +2 dice bonus for smartlink.

FutureWeapons on Discovery had something similar. The Israelis are producing articulating weapons with gun cams to enable soldiers to fire around corners. Cool stuff, but no way is using the gun cam as effective as physically firing the gun like normal.

See it here: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/futurewe...o/photo_02.html
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (ethinos)
You can see the target, but you are lacking depth perception.

A smartgun features a range finder, too.
2bit
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (ethinos @ Aug 24 2006, 10:38 PM)
You can see the target, but you are lacking depth perception.

A smartgun features a range finder, too.

I thought of that too, but I think it's meant to be a standard weapon rangefinder, distance to wherever your glowing dot is, as opposed to cone-shaped radar or ultrasound "depth map" that you could overlay your 2D camera image onto. Now THAT would be seeing through walls with AR.
ethinos
But a range finder is simply a number you use to reference a guestimate on how far up or down you tilt the barrel. That is hardly equivelent to the use of your depth perception.

Grab a pistol. Close one eye. Have someone tell you that your target is 20 meters away. Can you use that "20 meters" to adjust for distance as equally well as simply opening up your closed eye? I know I couldn't. Nor 99% of the rest of the population on earth. (Because that other 1% are probably freaks of nature anyways.)

I could consider the use of the range finder and a 2d image as equivelent as normal depth perception. Therefore, no bonus dice from the smartlink. The smartlink would thus simply prevent any further negatives.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (ethinos)
But a range finder is simply a number you use to reference a guestimate on how far up or down you tilt the barrel. That is hardly equivelent to the use of your depth perception.

With that number (and, given the processin possibilities of 2070), it is no real problem to (re)create a 3D-Footage from a camera, especially in a world were trideo is the standard.

[E]s/recrreate/(re)create[/E]
2bit
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (ethinos)

With that number (and, given the processin possibilities of 2070), it is no real problem to recrreate a 3D-Footage from a camera, especially in a world were trideo is the standard.

I think that's definitely possible in shadowrun, I dunno if a smartgun can do it though.
Shrike30
QUOTE (ethinos)
Grab a pistol. Close one eye. Have someone tell you that your target is 20 meters away. Can you use that "20 meters" to adjust for distance as equally well as simply opening up your closed eye? I know I couldn't. Nor 99% of the rest of the population on earth. (Because that other 1% are probably freaks of nature anyways.)

At the vast majority of handgun ranges, you don't need to compensate for range. Travel time and bullet drop at 20 meters are almost nonexistent. Rangefinders are more beneficial when you start talking about shooting at targets over a hundred meters away, when things like deflection shooting (leading a moving target) become an issue.

Honestly, the loss of the smartgun bonus sounds like the best idea. The vast majority of "trigger time," even in a world with guncams, would be spent firing using the normal sights with the smartgun helping out due to the fact that the postures that use the sights also happen to be some of the best postures for controlling the weapon and firing accurately. The minute you start watching a screen and moving a point around rather than lining up your sights, you're doing something different. If you were doing this from behind cover, you'd also get the -1 "shooting from behind cover" mod. Small price to pay, IMO, for being able to shoot someone behind you through a small cut in your jacket, or to stick your gun up over the crate you're behind and not have it considered blind fire.
mfb
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
As to how awkward this would be, just test it. Take your digital camera or phone camera and try aiming around corners with. It's not really awkward aiming at all.

this is completely erroneous. firing a weapon at any range beyond point-blank requires orders of magnitude of orders of magnitude more precision than taking a picture. breathing incorrectly will throw off your aim on otherwise easy shots. firing around a corner, you've got to contort your wrist in ways that make it less than a stable firing platform; your sight picture is going to be wobbling all over the place.

furthermore, most of the training and shooting experience people get is done while firing their weapon the same way, over and over again. firing your weapon in a different way is going to put a real damper on your ability to aim correctly.
eidolon
Lots of discussion on this here:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...737&hl=smartgun
PlainWhiteSocks
QUOTE (ethinos)

I could consider the use of the range finder and a 2d image as equivelent as normal depth perception. Therefore, no bonus dice from the smartlink. The smartlink would thus simply prevent any further negatives.

It's possible I'm wrong. I remember watching a rifle competition where they used open sights. Many of the competitors had glasses that blacked out one eye and had a limiting field of vision for the eye they were using. If I remember correctly they were shooting at 200yds.

I also know that Sammy Davis Jr. was a spectacular shooter.

With this in mind I'm not sure how much negative impact, if any, lack of depth perception has on real shooting. In SR it could be entirely different though.

Demerzel
Consider watching a home move and how shaky it is.

Consider you're holding a rifle, in a way it wasn't designed. It's not about perspective it's about stability. You say recoil should be increased and that's enough to compensate for the difficulty, but in fact stability has as much to do with accuracy as it does countering recoil.

Imagine holding a broomstick by one end, how much will the other end wobble.

Want an experiment? Take your DVD from Saving Private Ryan, Set up a laser pointer so that it is projecting it’s dot in the center of your screen and during one of the very wobbly scenes where there’s combat going on stand there with your DVD remote and try to press pause so that an enemy combatant pauses under your laser dot.
mfb
QUOTE (PlainWhiteSocks)
It's possible I'm wrong. I remember watching a rifle competition where they used open sights. Many of the competitors had glasses that blacked out one eye and had a limiting field of vision for the eye they were using. If I remember correctly they were shooting at 200yds.

it's worth pointing out that they also knew what range they were shooting at, and could therefore adjust for range without needing depth perception.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
As to how awkward this would be, just test it. Take your digital camera or phone camera and try aiming around corners with. It's not really awkward aiming at all.

this is completely erroneous. firing a weapon at any range beyond point-blank requires orders of magnitude of orders of magnitude more precision than taking a picture. breathing incorrectly will throw off your aim on otherwise easy shots. firing around a corner, you've got to contort your wrist in ways that make it less than a stable firing platform; your sight picture is going to be wobbling all over the place.

furthermore, most of the training and shooting experience people get is done while firing their weapon the same way, over and over again. firing your weapon in a different way is going to put a real damper on your ability to aim correctly.

What do you know? You were only a SAW gunner.
HullBreach
QUOTE (HullBreach)
Hmmm.....this sounds like an interesting concept for a piece of gear, as sort of vision systems multiplexer.

I'll write up rules and put it on my site tonight. I like this!

Samael's Ghost: If you want credit for this on the site, and a character quote attatched to it, PM me!

Unfortunately I came home to a desktop that decided it no longer needs a HDD. Luckily, I just spent last sunday backing everything off to DVD.

Needless to say, this new item has been delayed till this weekend, sorry folks!
Cabral
QUOTE (ethinos)

I might not be able to do it, but my smartlink processor can.

It's possible part of the smartlink's processor's function is to build a 3d stereoscopic image using the guncam and rangefinder info.

This would explain why the smartlink gives you the full bonus even in such an odd situation.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Smokeskin)

I agree. That's why, in the part of my post you chose not to quote, I suggested a total -2 modifier. That's equivalent to the penalty you get for shooting with your offhand, or the difference between firing an assault rifle at a target 10 meters away and 300 meters away. I'd call that a "real damper on your ability to aim correctly".

I can only assume you're trolling or desperate to get a comment in or something, quoting the first part of my post, and then saying the exact same thing as I said in the second part.
cx2
Speaking as someone who spent years with little to no use of one eye (as opposed to now, which is no use of either eye) I can say that depth perception is something you can get around. I can't guarantee you could do it on the spur of the moment though, I had a good amount of time to adapt to it.

I spent many years (I was in my early teens at the time) using super soakers and the like, and managed a reasonable amount of accuracy. Certainly no less than anyone else. I also managed to be fairly successful ohn a crossbow shooting range at the Royal Armouries (museum here in the UK) firing weighted bolts at moving targets.

If someone did it enough they could easily deal with the depth perception, but only if they were used to it and which probably wasn't the case.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (cx2 @ Aug 25 2006, 08:48 AM)
Speaking as someone who spent years with little to no use of one eye (as opposed to now, which is no use of either eye) I can say that depth perception is something you can get around.

Yeah. Given the fact that in many situations most shooters close one eye when shooting anyway, claiming that depth perception is a requirement for accurate aiming is pretty non-sensical.

I by far prefer to use both eyes open with a red-dot sight, but that's more a case of situational awareness than accuracy. Point-blank range even with iron sights I never found the need to close the off-eye either. For precision shooting, I can't ignore the off-eye input fully though, and I can aim faster and better with on closed. Range-estimation is really a non-issue - either you're shooting at ranges where it doesn't really matter, or you're shooting at ranges where your stereo vision range estimation is much worse than range estimating by the markers in your sight.

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (PlainWhiteSocks)

it's worth pointing out that they also knew what range they were shooting at, and could therefore adjust for range without needing depth perception.

When you close one eye, your brain misinterprets the lack of visual input as partial darkness and expands your pupils. This actually means you get too much light through the open eye, blinding you slightly. This is why you see competition shooters often shoot with both eyes open, and some of them can't disregard the off-eye, so the wear this headband with a piece of plastic covering the off-eye. The covering is specifically made so it doesn't black out the eye - it allows light to hit the eye, but the cover just means that the eye only sees a bland white surface that doesn't interfere with the image from the aiming eye.
Samaels Ghost
quoted

cone-shaped radar or ultrasound "depth map" that you could overlay your 2D camera image onto. Now THAT would be seeing through walls with AR.

With [a range finder] (and, given the processin possibilities of 2070), it is no real problem to (re)create a 3D-Footage from a camera, especially in a world were trideo is the standard.

This is how I want my smartgun to work! A trid-cam on my gun that interprets data to give me an overlay that is helpful, not just a straight cam feed. A cam feed can be pretty useless sometimes. Overlays are far more helpful.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
This is how I want my smartgun to work! A trid-cam on my gun that interprets data to give me an overlay that is helpful, not just a straight cam feed. A cam feed can be pretty useless sometimes. Overlays are far more helpful.

Overlays are very cool in most cases. If you want to hit something around a corner though, aiming with a guncam feed would be a lot easier than trying to use an overlay.
Samaels Ghost
Really? Even with your pov and reticle moving around all unsteady and such? It would be kinda like using zoom-mag and losing your target, wouldn't it? A little disorienting. Overlays would be less unsteady cam-feed and more highlighting threats and providing shot-to-target info.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 25 2006, 12:48 PM)
Really? Even with your pov and reticle moving around all unsteady and such? It would be kinda like using zoom-mag and losing your target, wouldn't it? A little disorienting. Overlays would be less unsteady cam-feed and more highlighting threats and providing shot-to-target info.

You aim point will move around a lot anyway - the question is, would you rather correct the movement from an offset POV or from the weapon's POV? Having used laser sights (which I consider to be equivalent to an overlay with aimpoint) a fair bit I would certainly prefer the guncam. Laser sights are slow to use and are generally much worse and slower for aiming than regular sights, your eye have to sort of search for the dot and it somehow feels a bit unrelated to the gun - it's a bit hard to describe, but actually it feels a bit like the zoom-in problem you describe, only the other way around.

Red dot or holo sights (and even regular iron sights) beat laser sights by a huge margin imo. The only use for laser sights imo is when you can't get your head in a position to use your regular sights (like shooting over the top of cover, your muzzle clears the cover, and your sights are a fair distance above that, meaning you have to expose a lot more of yourself to get your eye up there to sight, compared to your eyes just clearing the cover and then aiming with the laser sight. Or if you have to remain really close to the cover, you can't get your head back behind the regular sights).
mfb
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
I agree. That's why, in the part of my post you chose not to quote, I suggested a total -2 modifier.

sorry. a lot of people seem to not understand the part where being able to see your target != being able to hit the target, so i quoted the relevant text and went with it. if i were trolling, i'd have called you stupid, or something. i can do that now, if it'd make you feel better?

i think part of the problem is range. some people are picturing poking their gun around a corner and shooting at a target 5-10 meters away. that, honestly, shouldn't be all that hard. others are picturing poking their gun around a corner and shooting at a target that is near the weapon's maximum effective range. that's not so easy.

Smokeskin
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
I agree. That's why, in the part of my post you chose not to quote, I suggested a total -2 modifier.

sorry. a lot of people seem to not understand the part where being able to see your target != being able to hit the target, so i quoted the relevant text and went with it. if i were trolling, i'd have called you stupid, or something. i can do that now, if it'd make you feel better?

i think part of the problem is range. some people are picturing poking their gun around a corner and shooting at a target 5-10 meters away. that, honestly, shouldn't be all that hard. others are picturing poking their gun around a corner and shooting at a target that is near the weapon's maximum effective range. that's not so easy.

It probably wouldn't make me feel better if you called me stupid, no wink.gif

The real problem is that the SR ranged combat system is screwed up. Hitting a target at 300m with an assault rifle while running - we all know that's an impossible shot. Giving a -2 modifier for guncam-around-the-corner gives it the same modifier at the same range, a total of -4. Only problem is that that those shots are very possible by the rules.

Firing from a prone position is so incredibly much more precise than from a standing position, yet this doesn't even carry a modifier. In fact firing from cover, which would often give you a stable firing platform, imposes a negative modifier.
Shrike30
If a person's in an established shooting position (that is, their "cover" consists of something like a bunker, or a sniping nest they've spent time setting up), then I don't apply the "shooting from cover" penalty when they're firing into the primary arc they intended to fire into. They've had enough time to "customize" their position so that it's not hard to shoot in that direction. Now, if you're just leaning out of a doorway occasionally and popping off rounds, that's another story... I figure part of that penalty for firing from cover comes from the small motions of ducking in and out of your cover when you shoot.

Seriously, folks... I don't think range is the issue. I'm okay with making the smartgun intelligent enough to figure out the ballistic arc and to adjust it's projected point of impact based on how far it is to the target. The main reason I'd apply a penalty to using the guncam is because you're not firing from the usual position. Losing the smartgun bonus seems a "logical" way to do this, and imposes as much of a penalty as firing the smartgun from your off-hand would (which makes sense... both involve firing in a nonstandard position).

The primary reason you use depth perception when you shoot is to judge distance for elevation and deflection shooting. Having a rangefinder (and being used to interpreting the numbers it gives you) would serve just as well as having depth perception... it would allow you to lead moving targets by the appropriate amount, and the smartgun would handle the elevation for you. Deflection shooting is important. Let's assume for a second that we're firing a projectile at 900m/s at a crosswise running target 200 meters away. Even ignoring loss of velocity due to wind resistance, the rough math says that the target will have had nearly a quarter of a second to move between the time the bullet is fired and the time it reaches the 200 meter mark. You can't move all that far in 1/4 of a second, but you can move far enough that someone who isn't leading you will miss entirely at that range, despite having had his sights lined up right on your center of mass.

The penalties for firing at range are not severe enough in SR4, IMO.
LilithTaveril
I think a counter argument is if they stop and take the time to aim with the guncam. They can use the aiming move to make up for the problems with how they are aiming before firing.

But, I can see a perfectly good reason for the penalties if they just stick the gun around a corner and open fire.
Shrike30
If they're Aiming (the Simple Action, the same one you'd use to get the bonus from a scope) then I'd probably remove the penalty.

Actually, you could (sort of) build deflection shooting into a smartgun, similar to how they do it on some fighter HUDs. First, indicate to the smartlink (via DNI or a fingertip button near the trigger) that you're going to be firing at a target that is as far away as the rangefinder currently indicates. Then, track the target with the gun. The smartlink calculates how long it'll take for a round to go that far, and then the point-of-impact marker "lags behind" the axis of the gun by that much time. If you move the point of impact onto the target while tracking it, you're leading by the right amount. Then just think fire real hard...
mfb
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Seriously, folks... I don't think range is the issue. I'm okay with making the smartgun intelligent enough to figure out the ballistic arc and to adjust it's projected point of impact based on how far it is to the target. The main reason I'd apply a penalty to using the guncam is because you're not firing from the usual position.

i'm fine with the smartgun being smart, too. the thing is, being able to calculate the ballistic arc of the round isn't going to make actually making the shot any easier, in this case. the problem is a) being able to get and keep your weapon on-target from an abnormal firing posture, and b) being able to do so in a timely manner. the smartlink can't help with either of those issues--and both are issues that are exacerbated by range, for the simple reason that longer range requires more precision and has a smaller margin of error. being off-target by 10 degrees at 3 feet means you hit your target. being off-target by 10 degrees at 300 feet may very well mean you missed.
kigmatzomat
Back on original topic, I think it would require a free action to switch the smart link from "asisted targeting" to "guncam aim window" and that the shooter would lose the smart link bonus. The alternate is to blindfire at a target you can't see but having the +2 smartlink advantage of knowing where you are aiming.

Depending on the shooting position, they might have an additional penalty. However someone with a bag over their head but otherwise in their normal shooting stance would be able to shoot via the guncam-over-imagelink just as well as with iron sights, IMO.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012