Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AZTECHNOLOGY 2063 to 2070 info needed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
smoking-mirror
hello,

Gm-ing since the first SRed hit the collective consciousness i've always been fond of the big A (Aztzechnology) and their shadowy master(s). BUT....SR4 came through the backdoor and BANG shoot the timeline dead !!!

here's my problem /

What happened to the big A after the failure ( was it really à failure) of the Rancho Obrero operation in the Yucatan ?

How did the Aztechnology manage the Yucatan crisis and its aftermath ? you know all the rambling about polluting the earth, toxix spirit war vs nature spirits, crazy ACS shaman....etc.

There is a time warp (2063_2070) absolutely blank about Aztlan, Yucatan and the south/central americas and i need info to fill it.

Does anybody knows something?

yes i know.....wait and sees everything will be revealed in SoLA !! no way i wait until there !!

thanks
SL James
And so begins another series of posts demanding SoLA and bashing Holostreets for not releasing it.
Ancient History
There's some discreet references in Runner Havens, and more in upcoming products, but we don't want to give too much away.
Dog
Why not?
SL James
hahahahaha

There's some references in the German-only Sixth World Almanac (since it incorporates some timeline events from SoLA) such as the info on the Yucatan peace talks, Juan Atzcapotzalco's (yes, that's from memory) assassination during said talks, and the secession of the Yucatan.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Dog)
Why not?

Well, the NDA is still in effect, I believe.
Dog
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that "we" -the writers- didn't want to give too much away in the books, and I was thinking, "Why leave your readers frustrated because they can't get the background info?" I see now that you meant "we" -those of us dumpshockers who are in the loop- don't want to give away what's in the books. Fair enough.
smoking-mirror
great !!!!!:(

so have got no choice but wait until it hit the market!!

so the Yucatan secceded and cool Juan was murdered (how long ago ?) !!! ha bits an pieces....truth is slowly crawling out of its hole !!
Ancient History
Anything relevant to the subject matter will be addressed, like the Nicaragua Canal in Runner Havens.
smoking-mirror
"will be" ?
i just take a look inside "runner havens" and the only info i found about Aztlan is the Dzibalchen execution by Aztlan gov. The Carracas section is really interesting and offers very good insight on this spot !! cool place!!
No background buzz concerning the panama canal and so forth...
SL James
Somehow an EMP bomb damaged a mechanical lock system that would have been about 150 years old when SF occurred.
Synner
Somehow an EMP bomb damaged a mechanical lock system that would have been about 150 years old when SF occurred.

That sounds likely.

Of course the other possibility is that the authors actually did the research and were referring to the EMP damaging something like the new lock machinery controls (which began being replaced in 1998). Or any possible upgrades thereof over the next few decades (already on the drawing board regardless of whether the second canal project is green lit or not). Not to mention that the locks themselves are powered by the hydroelectric dams (designed into the canal itself) whose unhardened components are vulnerable to localized EM pulses, just like any other power generation system's. You know the sort of thing even a cursory search on Wikipedia would reveal...

But it couldn't be that, nah, it wouldn't make sense.
MK Ultra
eek.gif OMG, Synner!! What´s that thick, black liquid dropping off your chin?! rotfl.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 26 2006, 03:23 PM)
Of course the other possibility is that the authors actually did the research

Some of the authors, considering some of the other material in SF makes research seem unlikely at best. Although I've gone into rather lengthy detail about that particular nonsense.
smoking-mirror
thank to you for being so usefull !!
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Not to speak for SL, who is perfectly capable of defending himself (or herself, as we are not personally acquainted, don't want to make a groundless assumption regarding a fellow forum poster), but the EMP putting the canal out of business idea is a bit on the weak side. This is analogous to responding to the EMP destruction of the control center for a rail network by laying new track. The cost/effort to replace whatever it is in the lock system that could possibly be damaged, even if the canal authorities used it as an opportunity to completely replace the locks from scraich, would be orders of magnitude cheaper than digging a new canal some where else. The only real justification for the expense would be either power (AZT wants it's own canal and is willing to just loose the money for the strategic gain), or size (building a new canal capable of handling the size of modern super-cargo and super-tanker ships). The other rather odd assumption that this makes is that even though the other corps took the Panama Canal away from AZT, and it is clearly described as well fortified and protected by troops from the other Mega's, that in that process they did not make any effort to protect canal's matrix and mechanical systems from attack-even though EMP attacks are a standard part of Warfare in the Sixth World (and the dangers presented by the various means of disabling the canal have been present since it was opened).

AFE nuyen.gif
smoking-mirror
could you post here a sumarised timeline of the event concerning the canal or give me the reference (chapter, page numb. ) in System Failure ? assuming that the info is coming from SL
Grinder
Page 101 & 102.
Dog
I think that one could creatively justify an EMP damaging the canal's infrastructure. I'm no engineer, (actually, I'm an engineering school dropout,) but couldn't you just say that the EMP made the the controls of the transferring mechanism die at a particular point, vents stuck open, pumps running while dry, pressure building up behind some barricade while the pressure relief valves won't open, something like that? I always figured these giant structures designed to move around unimaginable quanitities of heavy stuff would have to be monitored and adjusted constantly. Didn't Chernobyl go up because one guage wasn't reading consistently? What about the human factor? Panic, miscalculation, combined with a lack of computer backup. "I'm pretty sure we set this dial to 350. No need to look it up, I'm sure. Really."

I mean, the gates or whatever they're called are designed to withstand massive forces, but like most large structures, I'd guess they only work under specific parameters. Exceed an operating limit and wham. Wall o' water....
Anythingforenoughnuyen
Chernobyl was the result of an ill conceived and unauthorized experiment gone tragically wrong. The plant managers wanted to see how much energy they could pull out of the system while it was shuting down, to see if electricity could still be generated as they were gearing down for routine system maintainance. safeguards that normally would have shut the reactor down when pressure in the system dropped were thus disabled.

As far as the canal, I could foresee catastrophic damage to the mechanical systems, sure. My point is that those are all systems that are engineered to be both replaced and repaired, as natural ware and tare on the system will necessitate both substantial maintainance as well as emergency repairs. A worst case scenario like you mention could cause a major repair headache, however, it could never be anything compared to the effort necessary to build a new canal, which would be one of the great engineering undertakings of all time. Keep in mind that despite the fact that the largest cargo ships, as well as the super oil tankers, are way to big to fit through the canal, the cost of building a larger canal along side the Panama canal is to great to undertake (and that would be cheaper by a large margin than any of the other proposed routes), even though it would mean, literally, billions in revenew for the government of Panama.

AFE nuyen.gif
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Dog)
I think that one could creatively justify an EMP damaging the canal's infrastructure.  I'm no engineer, (actually, I'm an engineering school dropout,) but couldn't you just say that the EMP made the the controls of the transferring mechanism die at a particular point, vents stuck open, pumps running while dry, pressure building up behind some barricade while the pressure relief valves won't open, something like that?

The current Panama Canal lock gates were each operated by weak electric motors (25hp/19kw) until 1998, when they were replaced by hydraulics.

I have no doubt that after an EMP knock-out, the electronics behind the hydraulics could be repaired.

----------------------------------

In any event, by 2050+, the second Panama Canal would surely have been completed by, at that point, approximately 36 years (yes, I know, it is not certain to go as scheduled). Panama Canal Authority: Canal Expansion: Overview.

Even VITAS, Goblinzation, and the '29 Crash would only have delayed it. The need for world shipping to have modern post-panamax container vessels pass through the canal is enormous.

IMO, all tiers of megacorps would have been leaning on Panama to push through its completion.
Dog
I hear you guys. I guess what I'm saying is that the EMP wouldn't do the primary damage, it'd just allow the forces of nature the edge they need (I'm sure I'm not the only person to see first hand the damage of flooding. In a lot of those cases, it is easier to start over than to try to rebuild on weakened foundations and displaced soil.) I'll admit though that I don't know a lot about the canals themselves. Isn't one ocean a lot higher than the other? What if one lock didn't close when it was supposed to? Could the water build up high enough or heavy enough to overcome the next lock downstream?

Likely? Hell no. Possible? I dunno. As possible as move-by-wire cyberware and growing wheat on the ocean floor? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
JongWK
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
In any event, by 2050+, the second Panama Canal would surely have been completed by, at that point, approximately 26 years (yes, I know, it is not certain to go as scheduled). Panama Canal Authority: Canal Expansion: Overview.

Except that according to canon, Panama badly mismanaged the Canal, and a rebel attack shut it down a couple years before Aztlan annexed the country. The Aztlan SB also says big ships can't go through the Canal, so we can rule out an expansion (not that the Azzies would let them go beyond the Zone's borders).

Don't forget that part of the Canal could well be a crater and the Zoners radioactive dust. devil.gif
SL James
... Uh, yeah. And if something like that did happen, then wouldn't SF mention... Ah, to hell with it. God, that whole plotline (and most of SF) was retarded.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (JongWK)

Except that according to canon, Panama badly mismanaged the Canal, and a rebel attack shut it down a couple years before Aztlan annexed the country. The Aztlan SB also says big ships can't go through the Canal, so we can rule out an expansion (not that the Azzies would let them go beyond the Zone's borders).

QUOTE (Aztlan Sourcebook)

[ Spoiler ]

Current plans have the second Panama Canal finished long before any of that happens (est. 2014).

As edited by me above, it could refer to the second Panama Canal. The original version of the first and third entries refers explictly to features of the first Panama Canal.

I suppose some entry could be inserted in there somewhere to explain, retroactively, the fate of the second Panama Canal project and the negative impact on world trade and on Panama that eventually led to the situation described in the second entry above.
JongWK
... Uh, yeah. And if something like that did happen, then wouldn't SF mention...

Pages 101-102, Aztechnology entry. nyahnyah.gif
smoking-mirror
ok thanks everybody for the infos.

What about the aftermath of the yucatan conflict?
Trax
QUOTE (smoking-mirror)

Everybody lived hapily ever after?
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Trax)
QUOTE (smoking-mirror @ Sep 7 2006, 09:54 PM)

Everybody lived hapily ever after?

Ah yes. Or, "How Shadowrun morphed into Pollyanna."
smoking-mirror
indifferent.gif neh???
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (smoking-mirror @ Sep 7 2006, 10:51 PM)
indifferent.gif neh???

Yeah, I guess the Disney movie is forty-six years old and the book is ninety-three years old. (There have been other movies and TV adaptations, but the 1960 movie and the original book are the primary media.)

Shadowrun is dystopian future.

Pollyanna is, "We'll all by happy if we just find the best in everything."

"Everyone lived happily ever-after" from the above post sort of equals "Pollyanna".

Ergo, Shadowrun morphing into Pollyanna.
Demonseed Elite
The resolution of the Yucatan conflict has the Yucatan as a semi-autonomous state within Aztlan, governed by a provincial governor. The initial and current provincial governor is the feathered serpent Pobre.

Revolutionary elements do still exist in the Yucatan, but they were heavily decimated in the war with Aztlan. And with Pobre pulling the rug out from under them by signing on as provincial governor, they've lost a lot of their power.
SL James
Bwah...
Demonseed Elite
No one really knows what pushed Pobre to take his new posting over his revolutionary pride. It could be that he knew he was fighting a losing battle and chose survival. It could be that he was driven a bit nuts by the toxic impact of the Yucatan warfare. It could be that he simply came to the realization that Aztlan was going to be the winning side and he wanted to be on the winning side. Or there might be a layer of feathered serpent politics involved that isn't clearly understood (Pobre did, afterall, hand over Dzitbalchen to Aztlan for the latter dragon's execution).
SL James
Who Wants to Be A Great Dragon.
Dog
Where can I read more about this?
SL James
The Vapor Sourcebook. AKA, SoLA.
Grinder
Runner Havens has a small paragraph about it in the Caracas-chapter.
Witness
*shrug*
Maybe the EMPs didn't wreck the locks? Maybe somebody just used that as an excuse or cover story for the result of a shadowrun?
Admittedly I've not gone and looked up the actual phrasing concerning this event, but isn't the whole point about sourcebooks that they are generally written from the point of view of somebody in the SR universe, precisely to introduce fallability that GMs can exploit to customize things a bit more to their liking?
SL James
QUOTE (Grinder)
Runner Havens has a small paragraph about it in the Caracas-chapter.

Indeed it does.

QUOTE (RH @ 126-27)
Don’t forget that the city is also the best gateway into northern Amazonia and southern Aztlan—if you’re the right kind of suicidal. Since the highly publicized execution of the feathered serpent Dzitbalchén by the Aztlaner government, relations between Aztlan and Amazonia have turned arctic (which says a lot here in the sub-tropics). Guess who’s sitting on the frontline?

> Dzitbalchén was convicted for orchestrating the assassination of the peace delegates at the Yucatan peace summit in 2064, including former Aztechnology CEO Juan Atzcapotzalco. The charge was verified and upheld by one of his own kin, the former feathered serpent rebel leader and current Yucatan Autonomous State Governor Pobre. Some of the greats, if my sources are correct, have taken the execution very personally—Ghostwalker in particular. For creatures that see themselves as being beyond metahuman law, the trial and public sacrifice of Dzitbalchén has been nothing short of outrageous.
> Frosty

> Serves ’em right. If Zacaultipán had successfully rescued her brother during the execution ceremony, he’d have gotten away with it. But Aztlan pulled out all the stops on the mojo that day. She bounced off that astral barrier that surrounded the teocalli like a rubber ball. If anybody wants a copy of the trid, just let me know.
> Kane

OBTW, yes, this means I have RH. It is interesting.
Grinder
I know you love it biggrin.gif
SL James
Yes. That's the verb I was looking for. "Love."
Grinder
rotfl.gif

In your very own way, you love it. biggrin.gif
Critias
The way that some men "love" their Realdolls.
SL James
Actually, I skipped over the Hong Kong chapter. But I like Jay's writing, so I expect that will be appealing.
Dog
So Juan was killed... what's more interesting was that he was part of a peace delegation....
FlakJacket
If both sides have fought themselves to a standstill and there's no real sight of either of them getting the upper hand, I could see Aztechnology granting a degree of autonomy in return for cacking the dragon to salvage some reputation from the whole affair. It's not as though a massively toxic jungle would be all that attractive and the resources they'd of had to have been ploughing into the war effort must have been screwing with their economy as well. Money won out over pride in the end.

On the whole assassination front, I figure Aztechnology offered to step in as a 'neutral arbitrator' to help negotiate a settlement beteen the two sides. Translation, stepped in officially to keep things firmly under their control.

And then you've got all the myriad different factions that could have been behind the hit on Atzcapotzalco - Pobre to get a rival out the way and establish a personal power base, angry rebels that didn't want a settlement because it didn't go far enough and wanted to restart the war, government forces that didn't want to stop fighting until they won and refused to countenance a 'surrender' like that, internal Aztechnology shenanigans that had nothing to do with the Yucatan except a handy suspect to frame. And those are the ones just straight off the top of my head.
SL James
Or it could have been because he was no longer obeying his master's voice after picking up his gift from Dunk.
Dog
James said what I was thinking. O'course, the now-dead "peace delegation" could've been something else, too. Blood mages? Possible....

And speaking of blood magic... ceremoniously executed dragon, huh?
SL James
Ceremonially sacrificed, even.

Gee, I wonder what they did with the energy released from that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012