Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What year does your game take place?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rajaat99
My current game is in late 2061. I was just curious how close people are to current storyline.
My game is now in December 17, 2061, but my players are on their way to DC for a Christmas party.
Kagetenshi
2055. Mmm, bugs.

~J
will_rj
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
2055. Mmm, bugs.

~J

My game is now in July, 25 - 2055 and the party is in Europe, but they should finish their biz there soon and arrive in Chicago in a bit less than a month smile.gif
The Stainless Steel Rat
13 years ago we started a campaign in 2050. Since then all of our games have followed (different aspects of) the same story arc, and we're only up to late 2058.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
13 years ago we started a campaign in 2050. Since then all of our games have followed (different aspects of) the same story arc, and we're only up to late 2058.

I know what you're talking about. I started my game in 2059 and after 5 years of playing, we're almost to 2062. We play once a week!
sinthalix
The majority of my group is new to SR so I started them in 2050. I began them with the good ole SR1 modules and we're now up to Nov 2051. We only play once a month, but training sure does make time fly smile.gif
Kagetenshi
We play once weekly, and started about two and a half years ago. We started in June 2055, and we're now in late August 2055.

~J
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
We play once weekly, and started about two and a half years ago. We started in June 2055, and we're now in late August 2055.

~J

Wow! eek.gif
eidolon
Oops, I null voted before I realized there was an "other". So...other.

It varies. Sometimes I run a specific time, sometimes I run sort of a generic "it's in the time of Shadowrun" type game.
PlainWhiteSocks
We've been playing in 2055 with the hopes of going through Dunky's death and bug city. Between playing other games, just never really got that far.
Ravor
Well the main campaign that I'm running started on 01-01-2071, but every now and again I run a game set in the far future just as my version of the Horrors are starting to invade in full force. (The only knowledge I have of Earthdawn is from these boards and a few Shadowrun Websites, so I imagine that my Horrors are most likely not cannon.)
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

How did you manage that? Our games are spaced, in-game, about a month apart. I can't reason giving them runs any closer together than that.
Backgammon
QUOTE (eidolon)
Oops, I null voted before I realized there was an "other". So...other.

It varies. Sometimes I run a specific time, sometimes I run sort of a generic "it's in the time of Shadowrun" type game.

Yeah, me too. My currect campain has shedim and the seattle Mob War, so go figure.
Homme-qui-rigole
I play since SR1 come out. Each of my campaign started in 2050... So when a new team progresses in time, sometimes they heard about preceding teams of shadowrunners that I GM in the media, street rumors, etc…
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 26 2006, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 26 2006, 11:45 AM)

~J

How did you manage that? Our games are spaced, in-game, about a month apart. I can't reason giving them runs any closer together than that.

I can't speak for Kage, but our games progress at about the same rate so I'll chime in.

We account for pretty much every hour of each day, and when a game session ends, we note the date and time, and pick up from there next game. We play this way to account not only for all of the time needed for designs (spells, spirits, guns, vehicles, programs, etc), healing time, and gear availability, but also to impress upon the team that the world is alive, and to give the PCs the chance to react to events as they happen. The NPCs aren't going to wait politely for the runners to heal or gear up before taking whatever actions they intend - they will operate on their own timetable. The flavor that we go for is that things continue to happen, whether you are a part of them or not is up to you. If you're not ready to take action when action is required, then to paraphrase Rummy : You go with what you have, not what you wish for.

[edit] We also only have one or two actual "Runs" per gametime month, but the rest of the time is spent looking for jobs, researching & legwork, maintaining contacts, buying gear, fencing loot, smaller side jobs, training, downtime role-playing, etc. We play a lot of games where initiative is never rolled, but we walk away happy anyway if the story progressed in a meaningful way. [/edit]
LilithTaveril
2060, 2064, and 2071.

The 2060 is just a game we started when we got bored with the powerhouses we have in 2064. My character in the 2064 game has a reputation for throwing tanks at people. Gotta love illusion plus powerball combos.

The 2071 is trying out the new system.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 26 2006, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 26 2006, 11:45 AM)

~J

I can't speak for Kage, but our games progress at about the same rate so I'll chime in.

We account for pretty much every hour of each day, and when a game session ends, we note the date and time, and pick up from there next game. We play this way to account not only for all of the time needed for designs (spells, spirits, guns, vehicles, programs, etc), healing time, and gear availability, but also to impress upon the team that the world is alive, and to give the PCs the chance to react to events as they happen. The NPCs aren't going to wait politely for the runners to heal or gear up before taking whatever actions they intend - they will operate on their own timetable. The flavor that we go for is that things continue to happen, whether you are a part of them or not is up to you. If you're not ready to take action when action is required, then to paraphrase Rummy : You go with what you have, not what you wish for.
We also only have one or two actual "Runs" per gametime month, but the rest of the time is spent looking for jobs, researching & legwork, maintaining contacts, buying gear, fencing loot, smaller side jobs, training, downtime role-playing, etc. We play a lot of games where initiative is never rolled, but we walk away happy anyway if the story progressed in a meaningful way.

I couldn't have explained it better myself. This is what we do also. I love roleplaying downtime, it's my favorite part of the game. Sometimes time flys when they're all using their B/R skills and their enemies haven't caught up with them, yet. Actually, I can't remember the last time they were actually on a run. That must be why they're so broke. biggrin.gif
Ice Hammer
I started out my group in 2060, and made it all the way until the very start of 2062. Then we switched to a new team when new members joined us (the original team was too powerful by then to accept brand new members, and it would have been too much of a hassle to power the new characters up). The second team of runners only lasted a short time until the end of 2062, when Shadowrun 4 came out, and as a group, we decided to switch and start running brand new characters. I kept the time period roughly the same, and set this new group of runners in early 2063, and have been slowly making our way up to System Failure. And finally, our group has arrived at August 2064... just a few months prior to System Failure, which I am so looking forward to as their GM.
Kyoto Kid
...Rhapsody actually begins in December '62 & goes to August of '63. It then jumps to the September of '64 still; months before Crash 2.0.
Schaeffer
Our current campaign began in 1998. Three of the current characters have survived from the beginning. In game terms, things started up in June 2052, and as of last weekend's game, the current game date is October 2060.
knasser

Will be starting a game in September set in 2055. Basically, there's a lot of good stuff that's happened in the timeline that I want to take new players through.

That said, whilst players can handle an awakening with goblinisation et al, plunging them into a world where a dragon was elected president pushes the fantasy aspect too far too soon. They'd treat everything like D&D with cars.
JongWK
I'm running two campaigns with different groups: SR3 (2055) and SR4 (2070).
NightmareX
We currently have one game in Seattle in 2069, and one in Miami in 2070. Hopefully a flashback game will come about in on the west coast (fun with Saito) in 2061-62 if things work out. smokin.gif
MK Ultra
I voted other, because I have multiple champaigns running (though many are frozen at the moment), that play in different times. The champaigns I a most interested in are in 2049 and in 2070, as well as a 2068 champaign where I´m a player and the 2070 champaigns on this board (well, one at the moment) that I´m participating in.
Wounded Ronin
I dislike the metaplot so I try to keep things as early as possible before things change. Since I usually play SR3 I usually set things in the very beginning of basic SR3.

My favorite setting, though, is the basic beginning SR2 setting, because it still has all the evil Japanese corporations of midwestern autoworker fear. I feel like it has the zeitgeist of the 80s moreso than the later metaplot does. I mean, in SR3, north americans are allowed to be cool and scary too, which is not the 80s zeitgeist.
Shockwave_IIc
Any games that i run tend to be dated in the '59-60 time frame, ending around the 61 time frame. Makes it a bit difficult to get SOTA 63 and 64 in, but i kinda manage...
eidolon
Meh, you can always just change the names to SotA: 2059 and SotA: 2060 if you want. It's not like the RPG Police will pee in your cheerios for it. smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...my Rhapsody Arc takes place between '61 & '62, but makes extensive use of SoTA '64 for the "Games of State" and Adepts sections.

Link
My favorite setting, though, is the basic beginning SR2 setting, because it still has all the evil Japanese corporations of midwestern autoworker fear. I feel like it has the zeitgeist of the 80s moreso than the later metaplot does. I mean, in SR3, north americans are allowed to be cool and scary too, which is not the 80s zeitgeist.

I agree with this but would hark back further still to the 1st edition with the CCCP hanging around until the early 30's. It's 80'ish - fitting with Neuromancer et al. and the 2nd edition effort to keep abreast of history with it's CIS replacing the Warsaw Pact was half-arsed.

My ideas to run a strict timeline with the appropriate gear of the day was not well received so a more homogenous timeframe is the way we play it, as some have mentioned.
SuperFly
The campaign I run, entitled "The Chronicles of the A-Team", is coming up on 4 years now. It takes place between 2063-2067. They are currently celebrating Christmas night of 2064, and approaching the 2065 New Year. The campaign is on it's 15th Chapter, with about 25-27 planned before the end.

I actually wrote the outlines of every campaign chapter from 10 on in a little pocket notebook I carried with me at all times while in Iraq. The first session of chapter 10 is also done right before my deployment, with the remainder of the run being finished after I returned the next year.

The entire game, from the very first session, is logged and summarized on the s-run.com website. I'm pretty proud of this, as I think it's a gas to be able to present the game in it's entirety to anyone interested. There's also a lot of world/media/npc/pc info to help folks get an idea of just what's going on.

Maybe it's obvious that I'm quite proud of my whole group. It's been almost a decade now, and to keep things fun for this long is one hell of an achievement.

Word to my spookies.
warrior_allanon
Is this gonna be a standup fight sir, or another bug hunt
RainOfSteel

(Should I actually ever run my current idea.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012