Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Norse Tradition spirit errata
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wanderer
The spirit list for the Norse tradition gives Beast spirits for Manipulation, however, the text mentions Guardian, Fire, Water, Air, Earth as the spirits that Asatru mystics may summon. Moreover, animal spirits do not play a really significant role in Norse myth, in comparison to elemental, faerie, or warrior spirits. Therefore, I think this is a bug and Earth should be the Manipulation correspondence for Norse magicians.
FrankTrollman
Well, the famous Berserkers get their powers from being possessed by animal spirits, I would call that significant. However... that's not the Asatru tradition and has its own bunch of spirits that it uses.

So yeah, I would say that's a misprint. Good catch.

-Frank
Wanderer
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 3 2006, 01:14 AM)

So yeah, I would say that's a misprint. Good catch.

-Frank

Most likely a partially-edited Copy/Paste from another tradition (Aztecs, probably).
Demonseed Elite
I wrote the Aztec tradition and Synner handled the Norse, so while it might be a copy/paste error, I doubt it's a copy/paste typo between those two. nyahnyah.gif
Wanderer
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
I wrote the Aztec tradition and Synner handled the Norse, so while it might be a copy/paste error, I doubt it's a copy/paste typo between those two. nyahnyah.gif

Acknowledged. It still looks like a typical author copy/paste error, though.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Wanderer)
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Sep 4 2006, 05:16 AM)
I wrote the Aztec tradition and Synner handled the Norse, so while it might be a copy/paste error, I doubt it's a copy/paste typo between those two.  nyahnyah.gif

Acknowledged. It still looks like a typical author copy/paste error, though.

It's definitely an error, but I'm not sure it's a copy/paste error. Something screwy seems to have gone down when the traditions were being coalated. The Path of the Wheel got its spirit assignments inverted - and fixed - at least twice. As far as I can tell, that section is just cursed.

-Frank
Wanderer
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
It's definitely an error, but I'm not sure it's a copy/paste error. Something screwy seems to have gone down when the traditions were being coalated. The Path of the Wheel got its spirit assignments inverted - and fixed - at least twice. As far as I can tell, that section is just cursed.

-Frank

Then it looks like the new spirit categories detailed in Street Magic really don't want to be summoned and did their worst to throw the tradition correspondences into disarray and protect their formulas spin.gif
Cabral
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
As far as I can tell, that section is just cursed.

It's because FanPro skipped over the Tantrist tradition ...
Slithery D
I noticed this mistake when I first read SM, but assumed the mistake was the text, not the spirit correspondences. A similar text problem appears in the Hindu tradition on pg. 38-39:
The elemental association is often a subtle clue to their true nature; a fire spirit may dance in a halo of flames...

Hindu magicians cannot summon fire spirits. They have exactly the same spirits and spell category correspondences as druids on the same page. Which is the mistake, the text or the spirit list? I could see dropping Plant in favor of Fire, but I have no knowledge of Hindu mysticism whatsoever.

For that matter, why do Islamic magicians summon Plant spirits? If they're that obsessed with the oases, why not water spirits instead of date trees? I can imagine a Guardian in the form of djinn, but Plant? Not so much. Maybe Task instead, if one was willing to have them in a non-possessory tradition? (Guidance I can imagine providing a theological problem.)
Slithery D
QUOTE (Cabral)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 4 2006, 09:55 AM)
As far as I can tell, that section is just cursed.

It's because FanPro skipped over the Tantrist tradition ...

SM pg. 36:
The Buddhist magical tradition largely stems from one sect of Buddhism, Vajrayana or Tantric Buddhism.

Other Buddhists follow local cultural magical traditions that are not related to their religion.
Cabral
I was more joking about about what I suppose would be more acurately described as Neotantra. smile.gif

I would actually write up a tantric tradition as a possession based tradition.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Slithery D)
I noticed this mistake when I first read SM, but assumed the mistake was the text, not the spirit correspondences. A similar text problem appears in the Hindu tradition on pg. 38-39:
The elemental association is often a subtle clue to their true nature; a fire spirit may dance in a halo of flames...

Hindu magicians cannot summon fire spirits. They have exactly the same spirits and spell category correspondences as druids on the same page. Which is the mistake, the text or the spirit list? I could see dropping Plant in favor of Fire, but I have no knowledge of Hindu mysticism whatsoever.

For that matter, why do Islamic magicians summon Plant spirits? If they're that obsessed with the oases, why not water spirits instead of date trees? I can imagine a Guardian in the form of djinn, but Plant? Not so much. Maybe Task instead, if one was willing to have them in a non-possessory tradition? (Guidance I can imagine providing a theological problem.)

Hmm, it looks like the Tradition section of SM is going to end up and result buggier than a Microsoft beta release. eek.gif

Lessee... as regards the Islamic tradition, I indeed reckon it as a mistake, too. Arabic mystic tradition has much more affinity with the elements than with animals or plants (they are more akin to hermetics), so Plant should be stricken off from the Health correspondence and substituted with Water.

As regards Hindu, well, it's slightly more difficult to adjudicate: the text, which I reckon to be a more reliable reference than the bare list, where it is far easier to put a mistake, both mentions animal, fire and plant spirits, so it can't be used to decide. From what I know of Hindu mysticism, however, fire plays a rather central part in their mythology (Agni, god of and personification of fire, is one of the most important deities in the Veda), and has surely more importance than plants. Therefore I'd suggest to remove Plants from the Health correspondence and substitute it with Fire.

Some comment from the authors would be welcome, though, as mine as nothing but educated and reasoned guesses.

The need for a Street Magic errata is quickly mounting... frown.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012