Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit Pacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wanderer
So far, I've seen very little discussion about one of the most radical novelties of Street Magic, namely the possibility for all vanilla Awakened characters (not just toxics or Twisted ones, even if you can have the latter, too, as PC option, now) to enter Spirit Pacts. So let's talk about it. Would you allow/buy the quality at character creation ? What kind of pact would you use, from the sample listed ? Would you allow a character to have multiple pacts with the same spirit (a combination that I see as especially enticing would be Formula Pact and Life Pact, maybe coupled with Dream Pact), and in that case would the player have to buy the Quality multiple times ? I have difficulty understanding the sense of tying the price of the Spirit Pact to the spirit's Edge. The latter plays a role in the Drain Pact's effectiveness, but in no other pact. Maybe because a spirit with low Edge is easier to banish ? By the way, what would happen to the pact while the spirit is temporarily banished or disrupted ? Is it suspended ?

Cabral
I believe the Pact stays in effect until the Spirit or Mage dies/is permanently banished.

A low edge spirit is likely easier to nix. however, I would've preferred variable costs based on the pact itself. I particularly like the Life Pact and have thought about making a character with that pact.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Cabral)
I particularly like the Life Pact and have thought about making a character with that pact.

Just like I would like to do with an Awakened character having both the Formula Pact (Leonization ? who needs Leonization ? Finally a mystical option for immortality that does not involve being the antedeluvian elf scion of dragons) and the Life Pact, even if the Dream Pact is cool, too, in concept, but I fail to see what the real benefit to the charcter is. However, would the Quality have to be bought twice for a double pact ? Is it per pact, per spirit, or once-over ? Apparently the rules allow for having more than one (a couple, at least) pact with the same spirit, or multiple pacts with several spirits, but they do not clarify the issue.
Cabral
The spirit pact allows you to have a pact with a spirit. You'd have to take it twice (and likely with different spirits; see the section on spirit pacts) in order to have two spirit pacts.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Cabral)
The spirit pact allows you to have a pact with a spirit. You'd have to take it twice (and likely with different spirits; see the section on spirit pacts) in order to have two spirit pacts.

QUOTE (Street Magic)
Free spirits with the Spirit Pact power can enter into pacts with voluntary sapient creatures, usually magicians, though each individual spirit can usually only offer one or two different varieties of pact.

Spirit Pact
The free spirit gains the ability to enter into one or more spirit pacts

Judging from the relevant information in Street magic, I'd say that in many cases it should be possible to get at least two spirit pacts from the same spirit.
emo samurai
Is it me, or do most of the pacts seem to benefit the spirit more?

And do you ever plan to have any of your characters make a Hidden Life pact? biggrin.gif
Cabral
QUOTE (Wanderer)
QUOTE (Street Magic)
Free spirits with the Spirit Pact power can enter into pacts with voluntary sapient creatures, usually magicians, though each individual spirit can usually only offer one or two different varieties of pact.

Spirit Pact

Judging from the relevant information in Street magic, I'd say that in many cases it should be possible to get at least two spirit pacts from the same spirit.

If it can offer only one or two varieties, then you can only enter into one or two spirit pacts with the spirit. Therefore, if your GM says sorry, that one edge spirit only has one spirit pact available, you'll have to buy the quality with two spirits.

Which may impact your character if you were planning on taking the spirit as a contact and feeding it karma. biggrin.gif
Wanderer
QUOTE (Cabral)
QUOTE (Wanderer @ Sep 3 2006, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (Street Magic)

Spirit Pact

If it can offer only one or two varieties, then you can only enter into one or two spirit pacts with the spirit. Therefore, if your GM says sorry, that one edge spirit only has one spirit pact available, you'll have to buy the quality with two spirits.

Which may impact your character if you were planning on taking the spirit as a contact and feeding it karma. biggrin.gif

Fair price. If Focused Concentration is handed down at 10pts/lvl, I can surely acknowledge two 1-edge spirit pacts at 10 as a rather good bargain, even taking into account periodic karma requests from both spirits. Plus, some pacts (such as Dream and Life) do tend to take care of the karma issue on their own.

I'd rather make some additional legwork and do research until I can dig up 1-edge free spirits that can offer the kind of pacts I want, singularly or in combination, rather than bothering with high-edge spirits. Unless the latter would be in the position to offer say four different spirit pacts or so. Sometimes it's not min-maxing, it's common sense wink.gif

As I said, I see both Formula and Life pacts as something that would be of interest to many Awakened characters. Immortality is a huge IC benefit, which a character cannot find elsewhere unless by leonization, which is likely rather bad to essence. Likewise, the Life pact is a very good ersatz-regeneration last-ditch lifesaver, even if an ally spirit or bound spirit of man with the right healing spells and standing orders might substantially duplicate. The Dream pact I see as potentially rich in RP flavour, but I fail to see the significant IC character benefit why a PC should bother, unless it's asked by the spirit in combination with another pact. Its advantages seem to be all for the spirit. Likewise for the Magic Pact (magic boost once a day, and you can siphon all my Edge whenever you like ? No thanks, I think I'll go enchanting a power focus or summon an ally spirit instead...). If someone can explain me a decent reason why an Awakened character would bother to have them...

The Power Pact isn't something that I see most characters to bother bargaining for in the long term, since almost all powers you can as easily obtain from summoned or bound spirits, but it might be an useful tool to bargain for once in a while in provision of a dangerous or difficult run (e.g. regeneration) or something that a character cannot do on its own (e.g. I can see many mystical adepts striking "freelance" pacts for Astral Gateway, summoning the free spirit and handing him a nice chunk of karma for 24-hour access to metaplanar quests).

Drain Pact: well, if you fall for this, you deserve to be fleeced of all your karma, you drain fiend. It's the addict's way. Go bind a power focus or an ally spirit, ypou lazy bum.
hobgoblin
hmm, sounds like a nice way to recreate constantine nyahnyah.gif
hyzmarca
The dream pact is absolutly the best pact there is. Why? Stun damage.Picture it: A scrawny STR1 BOD1 elf kid walks brazenly through Spikes territory and demands to see Lord Torgo, claiming to have information about a planned attack by the Ancients. Seeing no harm in it (after all the kid is known to be both a whimp and a mundane and he's unarmed) a couple of thugs take him to see their leader. Instead of giving information, however, he proceeds to insult Lord Torgo's mother. It only takes a single punch to knock the kid unconscious.
...But wait, just as Torgo is about to bring his boot down on the hapless kid's skull something happens. His eyes open and flare with fire. His body levitates into an upright position and the Free Blood-Fire spirit possessing him proceeds to engulf all present in chocking crimson flames. Lord Torgo gets off better than most, surviving the immolation, but he merely ends up lending his essence to the double-digit force spirit.

Or, even better, you'r BOD 15 Armor 20 troll takes a few point blant assualt cannon hits, which fill up hi stun moniter. Suddenly, instead of an unconscious troll, he is a conscious Free Spirit.

The police decide to use knock-out gas on you so that the hostages won't be harmed? They'll wish that they hadn't.

Sure, the GM can interperate it so that a full stun track does not count as sleep; but not every GM will do so.

Even if the GM does make this rulling, there is another advantage. The Dream Pact basicly gives the character voudoo style summoner-possession that can be activated at will without drain. All the character has to do is close his eyes. The spirit is in control but sometimes that is a good thing. The the possessed voudoo killing machine was a viable concept in SR3 for a reason. The GM isn't going to make your spirit be be stupid (if he does you should shoot him) and the power of the spirit can turn a no-win scenario into a total victory. The only cost is earned karma, which is certainly a better cost than burning a point of edge just to survive.

Even if the GM interperates it so that the character can't instantly fall asleep (an interpertation which goes against the lpact's description) the character chould always get a sleep regulator and still enjoy instant activation.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The dream pact is absolutly the best pact there is.

Especially if you enter it with your former ally you treated well and finally set free willingly:

Both of you know each other well, how to work together and might even share a similar personality.
Combined with the formula and life pact, this is a very good reason to invest in an ally spirit.
FrankTrollman
The spirit may take over your body, but unless it has a higher Willpower than you, it will be just as incapacitated. But it's nice to have the extra Body when you're unconcious.

-Frank
FanGirl
I would like to have the dream pact, if only so that I could get more done around the house. Of course, that's assuming the spirit really likes to do chores.

Then again, I might have to worry about waking up covered with someone else's blood and not knowing how it got there. That would be disconcerting, to say the least. indifferent.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (FanGirl)
I would like to have the dream pact, if only so that I could get more done around the house. Of course, that's assuming the spirit really likes to do chores.

Then again, I might have to worry about waking up covered with someone else's blood and not knowing how it got there. That would be disconcerting, to say the least. indifferent.gif

obviously, you should get yourself some cybereyes and record constantly =P

in fact, maybe even hardwire it to be impossible to turn them off wink.gif
FanGirl
But then I'd have to have my real eyes scooped out! And I like my real eyes! They're pretty!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Sep 4 2006, 11:40 AM)
But then I'd have to have my real eyes scooped out!  And I like my real eyes!  They're pretty!

You don't need to have your real eyes scooped out. You'd just need to find a nice place to put the extras. I'm sort of fond of the thrid eye on the forehead, myself, it is a classic.

We do need a clarification on the rules for damage. I was aware of the fact that the vessel's wound penalities apply and that physical damage effects both, but I don't believe that the damage taken by one before the possession applies to the spirit during the possession other than for the purpose of calculating penalities.

Things also get kind of wierd when considering dead vessels. Obviously, the vessel having a full physical track and full overflow doesn't hamper the spirit in any way whle just having a partially full track does.
FrankTrollman
Things also get kind of wierd when considering dead vessels. Obviously, the vessel having a full physical track and full overflow doesn't hamper the spirit in any way whle just having a partially full track does.

Once the creature dies, it's not a living vessel anymore. It's considered a whole new object, so if you wanted to have it be a prepared vessel you'd need to start all over again. It's just like ripping a homunculus apart - you've got a pile of plastisteel left over so there's nothing stopping you from putting it back together and making a new homunculus - but the original vessel is "dead" and can't be possessed anymore.

So once your body dies, your dream pact is over, and the spirit can't possess your body at all. There is a pile of meat and bones there, so an enterprising magician could prepare it as a new "undamaged" dead vessel - but all the old work is lost.

If you take a house apart brick by brick - the house is destroyed. But you do have a pile of bricks and you could totally make a new house if you wanted.

-Frank
hobgoblin
hell, number each brick and you may well be able to put the same house back together nyahnyah.gif
hyzmarca
Actually, I was thinking of the spirit possessing the 'dead vessel" without any preperation soon after death, the only difference being a few pints of bood and a soul. Howveer, I just noticed that that would be impossible since a spirit must tough the aura of the obvect and the dead don't have auras.

Of course, there is may be an exception there with shedim. Shedim can explicitly possess unprepared dead vessels but there is no explicit exception to the need to touch the aura of the vessel in the shedim rules. This could be interpertated to mean that preperation of inanimate vessels is never necessary, just helpful. I wouldn't interperate it that way but someone could.

Since shedim can possess unprepared dead vessels or abandoned living vessels this odd situation can present itself. Will a shedim who possesses a severly injured character's living body will suffer severe wound penalties due to the wounds. If so, when the zombie hunters blow his head off and the vessel dies, will spirit will stop suffering those penalties?

And, if the Shedim doesn't suffer the living abandoned vessel's wound penalities then what happens if you make a dream pact with a shedim?
FrankTrollman
Any possession spirit can possess a dead body just like they can possess an unprepared toaster or ny other inanimate thing. Once it's dead, it has an object resistance. Now, the OR of a dead human is pretty low (similar to that of a tree or a rock), but the mechanics are the same as for possessing a combat drone or a refridgerator.

It's kind of difficult, but the potential is there.

-Frank
Cabral
QUOTE (FanGirl)

Just make a pact with a free task spirit.
SL James
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a character make a Spirit Pact... with a Free Mantis Spirit.

Assuming I don't just pick Hidden Life, which is FTW.
Slithery D
Hidden Life is hugely nerfed from SR3. Sure, they absolutely had to take away attribute boosts given the changed mechanics, but Regeneration itself was already substantially weakened, so why lose that? But the really incomprehensible change is the dissappearance of Immunity to Pathogens/Toxins. If I'm a spirit hiding my life force in something living, I'm much more worried about it getting a virus than I am about it being shot or wacked with a sword. I'd add that back at the least.

For the rest, I'm glad vampirism, with all of its costs and penalities, is now actually a better path to immortality and badassedness than Hidden Life.
SL James
True, but vampirism would be the epitome of cliche for the character.
Wanderer
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The dream pact is absolutly the best pact there is. Why? Stun damage.Picture it: A scrawny STR1 BOD1 elf kid walks brazenly through Spikes territory and demands to see Lord Torgo, claiming to have information about a planned attack by the Ancients. Seeing no harm in it (after all the kid is known to be both a whimp and a mundane and he's unarmed) a couple of thugs take him to see their leader. Instead of giving information, however, he proceeds to insult Lord Torgo's mother. It only takes a single punch to knock the kid unconscious.
...But wait, just as Torgo is about to bring his boot down on the hapless kid's skull something happens. His eyes open and flare with fire. His body levitates into an upright position and the Free Blood-Fire spirit possessing him proceeds to engulf all present in chocking crimson flames. Lord Torgo gets off better than most, surviving the immolation, but he merely ends up lending his essence to the double-digit force spirit.

Or, even better, you'r BOD 15 Armor 20 troll takes a few point blant assualt cannon hits, which fill up hi stun moniter. Suddenly, instead of an unconscious troll, he is a conscious Free Spirit.

The police decide to use knock-out gas on you so that the hostages won't be harmed? They'll wish that they hadn't.

Sure, the GM can interperate it so that a full stun track does not count as sleep; but not every GM will do so.

Even if the GM does make this rulling, there is another advantage. The Dream Pact basicly gives the character voudoo style summoner-possession that can be activated at will without drain. All the character has to do is close his eyes. The spirit is in control but sometimes that is a good thing. The the possessed voudoo killing machine was a viable concept in SR3 for a reason. The GM isn't going to make your spirit be  be stupid (if he does you should shoot him) and the power of the spirit can turn a no-win scenario into a total victory. The only cost is earned karma, which is certainly a better cost than burning a point of edge just to survive.

Even if the GM interperates it so that the character can't instantly fall asleep (an interpertation which goes against the lpact's description) the character chould always get a sleep regulator and still enjoy instant activation.

Enlightening and informative post. I recant my previous doubts about the Dream Pact and now acknowledge it as quite useful to have, alongside and/or combination with the Formula and Life Pacts. Finding a trusted free spirit that would grant all three would indeed be a very good karma investment from an Awakened character, on the level of getting an Ally or a Mentor.

What about the Magic Pact ? Do you see any reasons why this Pact should be preferred to other means of boosting one's Magic ?
hyzmarca
Hidden Life + Power Pact:Regeneration works pretty well so long as the spirit agrees to renew the regeneration (and it should unless you've been bad).

However, the spirit may not have Regeneration to give. If not, you could always try Power Pact:Hidden Life, which may be an even better solution which is probably rather useless unless your GM is isn't paying attention.

The only problems are 1)the spirit can survive the death of a hidden life vessel in SR4 (unlike in SR3) meaning that if you are bad there is no good reason why it wouldn't retalliate and 2)relying on the spirit for power not only makes you its bitch, it makes you the bitch of anyone who has the balls, the skill, and the luck to bind the spirit.
The latter problem can be avoided with a formula pact.

Forumla Pact + Power Pact:Regeneration and is also a good combo. The advantage is that the no one else can use the spirit's True Name while you live while you can bind the spirit if it gets out of hand.

Also, don't overlook the usefullness of Life Pact + Power Pact:Energy Drain (karma). You can get the karma necessary to regen by feeding off of your enemies.

Power Pact:Regeneration + Power Pact:Endowment is one of the better combos if you happen to be a team player. You can grant regeneration to your team at your pleasure. And heck, if you wanted to betray them what better time than when their severly wounded and counting on their regeneration to save them.

Likewise, Power Pact: Hidden Life, + Power Pact: Endowment is pretty good. The whole team can make each other their Hidden Life vessels. Assuming that there are an even number of participants everyone will have immunity to normal weapons and potential immortality so long as their partner lives (if you have a gullible GM).

The Best combo for group imortality, if your GM is insane, is Hidden Life, Life Pact, Power Pact: Regeneration, Power Pact: Hidden Life, Power Pact:Energy Drain (karma), Power Pact:Endowment, and Formula Pact. There is an NPC that you do not want to mess with.

Question: Do powers gained through Endowment or Power Pact, which rely on the magic attribute, use the spirit's magic or the character's? Only a magician can make a power pact but anyone could recieve an Edowment. Endowment would be much less useful to mundanes if they had to rely on their nonexistant magic attribute for certain powers.
Samaels Ghost
Aren't only mothers free?
Slithery D
QUOTE (Wanderer)
What about the Magic Pact ? Do you see any reasons why this Pact should be preferred to other means of boosting one's Magic ?

Only for the limited situation where you're trying to avoid physical drain on the margin. Power foci (on the most common reading) now only give you dice, not an actual boost in the rating, so the Magic Pact is the only way to increase your capacity to keep high force magic in the stun category without actually increasing your Magic. If your GM will allow you to bring it in at the very end of a binding ritual it might have some real utility, although if you're trying to bind a spirit with a Force higher than your Magic you've probably got all kinds of other problems already.

For spellcasting, you're probably better off learning the advanced Absorption metamagic and letting a friend/ally/spirit of man feed you energy to knock down your physical DV down to something manageably soakable. Or Sacrifice, of course...
Slithery D
hyzmarca,

I would never allow Endowment as a power that can be granted because I'd never allow a free spirit to be great form and have this power. In my universe, Invoking adds something to a spirit by bolting some magical mumbo jumbo onto the binding itself; when a spirit goes free the binding dissolves and it loses those extra powers. Unlimited Storm strikes available to a spirit is just stupid.

I would also limite Power Pacts to normal spirit powers, not free spirit specific powers. So just as a formerly Great Form Plant spirit can't give its invoked regeneration, I wouldn't let a free spirit give its "free" regeneration any more than it could give you the Personal Domain power. Or the Spirit Pact power itself!

Also, while it's true that a spirit that has hidden its life could kill you if you didn't pay it off with karma, do it favors, or whatever, there is no more fluff about it exerting any direct influence over your personality or actions. The only risk about it being bound would be that it presumably has an astral link to you and could track you that way at the binder's command, but the guy binding it doesn't necessarily know it has a life hidden anywhere.
Wanderer
Hmm, I suspect many GMs would balk at cavalier use of Hidden Life, and maybe of Energy Drain (Karma), too, as they are Greater Powers, plus I suspect free spirits with the latter are probably not of the safest, niceest, and trustiest kind to have around in a long-term relationship. However, Dream pact, Formula Pact, Life Pact and Power Pact: Regeneration would definitely be a quite nice combo pact to have, and one that any sufficiently persistent and talented character could eventually develop. cool.gif

Yep, that's my opinion, too, Centering, Absorption and Sacrifice make for far better Drain-dumping strategies than Magic. Especially now that the door has been opened for Sacrifice to be learned by any sufficiently determined character devil.gif
Wanderer
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Sep 4 2006, 09:53 PM)
hyzmarca,

I would never allow Endowment as a power that can be granted because I'd never allow a free spirit to be great form and have this power. In my universe, Invoking adds something to a spirit by bolting some magical mumbo jumbo onto the binding itself; when a spirit goes free the binding dissolves and it loses those extra powers. Unlimited Storm strikes available to a spirit is just stupid.

I would also limite Power Pacts to normal spirit powers, not free spirit specific powers. So just as a formerly Great Form Plant spirit can't give its invoked regeneration, I wouldn't let a free spirit give its "free" regeneration any more than it could give you the Personal Domain power. Or the Spirit Pact power itself!

While I see the point of your argument about powers that specifically rely on spiritual nature like Astral Projection, Spirit Pact or Mutable Form (which is an expansion of a specifically forbidden power), I utterly fail to see the reason wny a free spirit shouldn't be able to bestow any other free spirit power it has, since I cannot see the difference between say Regeneration, and Confusion, Fear, Noxious Breath, or any other vanilla spirit power. A power is a power. And if a free spirit is willing to renew the Power Pact long enough for the power to work, I can't see the reason why a character couldn't be bestowed with Personal Domain. Regeneration and Personal Domain are no more spirit-specific than Fear, Accident, or Concealment.
hyzmarca
That is a reasonable interpertation. However, isn't exactly the most accurate one.
There are canon Free Spirits with 'Great Form Powers.' Astral Gateway is a common Free Spirit power in fluff but it is a 'Great Form Power' of Guidence Spirits now. Obviously, it doesn' tmake sense for those spirits to lose their powers because the universe shifted left.

Likewise, there are canon free spirits statted in street magic which have 'Great Form Powers.' Shadow Spirits, for example, are all statted as having Compulsion.

One way to look at it is that many free spirits were once ally spirits. A magician may give his ally any power of any spirit that he can summon without restriction. If he has Invoking he can give his ally the 'Great Form Powers' of his tradition's spirit types, if he has Blood Spirit Invoking then he can give any blood spirit powers to his ally and if he is toxic then he can give toxic powers to his ally. Also, since a free spirit can learn any power available to his spirit type a free ally should be able to learn any power available to any spirit in his creator's tradition.

As for the other issue
The text gives explicit limits on the Power Pact (no Materilization, Possession, Inhabitation, or Astral Form). There are no other limits set. Ironicly, Endowment doesn't even have these limits (although I would overlook that fact).

I have changed my mind about Power Pact:Hidden Life's usefulness, however. Hidden Life can be bypassed by fighting the spirit in its home metaplane in SR4. The only problem is that Earth is the PCs' home metaplane. So, hidden life is kind of useless in this aspect. Even if the PC were able to hide out in the spirit's metaplane due to the power it would still be reduced to an astral-only spirit that rapidly loses essence. Its death would be swift.
Power Pact: Hidden Life is probably only useful in relation to the metaplanes if one could hide their life on a metaplane in the same way that spirits hide their life on Earth.
Samaels Ghost
Personal Domain would require you to renew the power A LOT for it to be useful. Kind of a non-issue there. Regen...if it is really useful, a spirit is gonna charge you more karma for renewals. Something less useful/lifesaving like Noxious Breath would cost less Karma to convince your Free buddy to give it to you. Supply and Demand. Up the price if it urks you, don't just make up new rules. Great Form power pacts could get nasty, yes. But be sure that the spirit is gonna charge you an appropriate amount of Karma.
Samaels Ghost
If he has Invoking he can give his ally the 'Great Form Powers' of his tradition's spirit types, if he has Blood Spirit Invoking then he can give any blood spirit powers to his ally and if he is toxic then he can give toxic powers to his ally.

I don't know if I like this. If this is possible, I would require the Ally binding process to be more deadly, just like Invoking. In fact, the whole thing should be like Invoking. Want a Great Form power? Make enough hits AND buy it. THat seems a little more balanced.
Slithery D
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I have changed my mind about Power Pact:Hidden Life's usefulness, however. Hidden Life can be bypassed by fighting the spirit in its home metaplane in SR4. The only problem is that Earth is the PCs' home metaplane. So, hidden life is kind of useless in this aspect. Even if the PC were able to hide out in the spirit's metaplane due to the power it would still be reduced to an astral-only spirit that rapidly loses essence. Its death would be swift.
Power Pact: Hidden Life is probably only useful in relation to the metaplanes if one could hide their life on a metaplane in the same way that spirits hide their life on Earth.

I have no idea what you mean by this. Yes, a spirit that has hidden its life can be destroyed by a metaplanar quest and battle. But that was the case in SR3, as well. It's just that the SR3 dice rolling mechanic to soften you up and make you arrive that battle wounded and stunned has been replaced by GM created hazards. There's even an example provided of having to fight through lesser spirit bodyguards to reach your target spirit if it's particularly powerful.

What any of this has to do with the PC being on Earth is beyond me. The presence of an intact hidden life protects a spirit from the permanent banishment option on SM pg. 109. That's not that big a risk to be avoided of course, but then spirits are generally more resilient in SR4 than they were before, now only being disrupted rather than destroyed in many circumstances.

Rereading the Hidden Life description, it's possible that it's intended to protect even against the astral quest assassination option. "As long as the hiding place remains safe, the spirit cannot be permanently banished or destroyed by any means." The next sentence makes one think maybe it only protects against banishing, but... It would make the power more interesting if it also caused a one year later ressurection for metaplanar assassinations.
venenum
Edit nevermind. Posted in wrong topic... indifferent.gif
emo samurai
How did tests help in SR3?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Slithery D)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 4 2006, 04:38 PM)

I have no idea what you mean by this. Yes, a spirit that has hidden its life can be destroyed by a metaplanar quest and battle. But that was the case in SR3, as well. It's just that the SR3 dice rolling mechanic to soften you up and make you arrive that battle wounded and stunned has been replaced by GM created hazards. There's even an example provided of having to fight through lesser spirit bodyguards to reach your target spirit if it's particularly powerful.

What any of this has to do with the PC being on Earth is beyond me. The presence of an intact hidden life protects a spirit from the permanent banishment option on SM pg. 109. That's not that big a risk to be avoided of course, but then spirits are generally more resilient in SR4 than they were before, now only being disrupted rather than destroyed in many circumstances.

Rereading the Hidden Life description, it's possible that it's intended to protect even against the astral quest assassination option. "As long as the hiding place remains safe, the spirit cannot be permanently banished or destroyed by any means." The next sentence makes one think maybe it only protects against banishing, but... It would make the power more interesting if it also caused a one year later ressurection for metaplanar assassinations.

I was refering to the use of Power Pact: Hidden Life by a PC.

Since the Earth is the home metaplane for a metahuman PC killing the PC on Earth would be equivilant of killing a spirit on its home metaplane. The bolded sentence does make it seem like Hidden Life makes the spirit invulnerable even on its home metaplane which would, in turn,mean that a PC with Hidden Life from a power pact would be just as invulnerable.

One way to look at it, probably the best way, is that a PC with Power Pact: Hidden Life, whose body is killed, is completely screwed because PCs can't learn Possession in SR4. Being disrupted for a year and a day only to find out that your astral body is immortal but your physcial body is dead and you still suffer from hourly essence loss isn't much fun.
Cabral
One reason a Spirit my want to join in a Spirit Pact with a mage is that I believe the link between the spirit and the mage can be hidden via metaplanar quest in a metaplane the free spirit cannot access. However, I'm not sure that Free Spirits are restricted in which metaplanes they can vist.
Slithery D
I was refering to the use of Power Pact: Hidden Life by a PC.

Oh, you were being silly. smile.gif

There's obviously a bit of difference between allowing resurrection of a wholly spirit being and having a new meat bod pop out of the ether after a year and a day.
Samaels Ghost
I think that was his point. That not having a body after you come back is a BIG damper on the idea.
SL James
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Aren't only mothers free?

devil.gif
Samaels Ghost
oh god....
SL James
Ironically, this all because of a plothook at the back of Loose Alliances involving a member of the Desolation Angels captured by an Insect Spirit.

I mean, wow, of all the friggin' books.
Samaels Ghost
rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012