Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What If?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Green Eyed Monster
Imagine you won a lottery. Say $50 million after taxes.

How would it affect your gaming?

Any gaming related dreams like buying or starting a game company or spin-off like comic book, movie, etc.?
Wounded Ronin
Heh, I'd pay a person with b00bi3s to pretend to be interested in gaming.
mfb
i'd probably produce SR5.
Mister Juan
Was it Carlin who said he would buy all the pants in the world and burn them?
Rajaat99
I'd play SR twice a week, instead of just once.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
i'd probably produce SR5.

You're thinking too small. Buy Topps, and they throw in WizKids. Then you're set.
Lindt
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
I'd play SR twice a week, instead of just once.

I think Im going to agree with you on that. Well, that and get a new car big enough to haul my books around in.
Kagetenshi
Try and fail to buy the rights to videogame Shadowrun away from Microsoft, then probably sink a bunch of it into developing better ways to play SR over the net.

~J
FanGirl
If I should ever win the lottery, I plan to tell nobody except for my lawyer and my money managers. I will claim my ticket anonymously, using my banker as a middleman. I will not make any sudden extravagant purchases, but I will use a small portion of my winnings to self-publish a novel. The existence of the published novel will, of course, provide me with a cover story, offering a sufficient explanation as to how I can afford to live so comfortably despite not having a job. I will then live out a quiet life (hopefully with a husband and children) without having to worry about covetous relatives or greedy shysters circling around me, trying to pressure me into giving up my windfall. This will leave me plenty of free time to design highly detailed campaigns.

I may also splurge on some lead figurines and sourcebooks, too. biggrin.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (FanGirl)
If I should ever win the lottery, I plan to tell nobody except for my lawyer and my money managers. I will claim my ticket anonymously, using my banker as a middleman. I will not make any sudden extravagant purchases, but I will use a small portion of my winnings to self-publish a novel. The existence of the published novel will, of course, provide me with a cover story, offering a sufficient explanation as to how I can afford to live so comfortably despite not having a job. I will then live out a quiet life (hopefully with a husband and children) without having to worry about covetous relatives or greedy shysters circling around me, trying to pressure me into giving up my windfall. This will leave me plenty of free time to design highly detailed campaigns.

Sounds like something Heinlein would think of. Smart.
FanGirl
Thank you, Shansu! smile.gif
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Hey, there plently of girl gamers out there! I happen to be one of them.
Morgannah
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Sep 7 2006, 12:42 AM)
Hey, there plently of girl gamers out there!

LIES!!!

grinbig.gif

<Edit: Whoops. embarrassed.gif If I won the lottery .. I'd build (or rent, I suppose) 'dream houses' whenever and wherever I wanted, thus allowing me to travel and host massive gaming extravaganzas whenever the mood struck me. I'd settle down eventually, of course, and likely open a gaming store/haven in a city yet to be named.>
warrior_allanon
pay off all bills in the family, (mine, parents, grandparents, 2 youngest sisters)
put my two youngest sisters through college for whatever they wanted to go to school for
buy all the property through a mediary around my house, basically buying the entire town.

after that i would invest to where i could earn back all that i had already spent and more and arrange to buy out mediacom and topps
krayola red
I would buy the Internet, of course.
Dranem
I like FanGirl's way of thinking.. claim the ticket anonymously.

With the cash I would have, I'd buy all the sourcebooks I've been meaning to - but never got around to getting. I'd go to all the gaming conventions that I've missed, and buy a bunch of nice toys.

Outside of helping immediate family live as comfortably as I do, I'd open a gaming parlour where people could hang out and play games in semi private/private booths. The thing I found in my years of gaming is the work/hassle of figuring out who's place is large/comfortable enough to hold sessions at. With a gaming parlour, everything is at your finger tips, even books for rent/buy as you need them. Money wouldn't necessarily be made off of booth rentals, but off the pizza and drinks everyone would buy.

Couple with an Internet Cafe, and you have the makings of a pretty sustainable business. smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (FanGirl)

That's just really, really boring.
Zolhex
I would buy a house for my mother and a new car as she needs one pay off her bills as well as mine and take care of her the way she has done for me for the last 30 or so years. (I tried it on my own for a few years I just couldn't make it work not smart enough I guess)

50 Million after taxes as a one time payout or over 30 years? (Yes 30 in Florida)

If 50 right now do all I said then open my own hobbie/comic store with rooms for gamers and computer gaming online or networked NO charge for the gaming rooms and a small charge for the computer useage.

If over time wait to do all that for about 5 years so I have excess cash flow.
Cray74
QUOTE (Green Eyed Monster)
Imagine you won a lottery. Say $50 million after taxes.

How would it affect your gaming?

Any gaming related dreams like buying or starting a game company or spin-off like comic book, movie, etc.?

$20 million is taking me to the International Space Station.
$10 million's going to the family.
$18 million's going into investments, enough to live decently off interest while allowing the investments to stay ahead of inflation.
$2 million's play money.

And, yes, I would game more often, because I'd be retired.

As for starting games and such, I'd probably help Classic Battletech with some investments there.

Jrayjoker
Of course I would do everyting FanGirl said, well put m'lady. However, I have the aforementioned spouse and a herd of children, so I would build a bigger house and add a gaming/movie room. Set up colledge/educatioin funds for all of the knee-biters, open a foundation to fund deserving youths through engineering school, and game once a week (still).
Pthgar
The standard stuff:

Tithe to my church.
Pay off bills.
Buy a second car.
Have childeren with my wife (who will probably quit her job).
Pay off my family's bills.

The RPG stuff:

Self-publish the the RPG rules set I've been working on for the last 9 months.
Play more WoW.
Play more SR.
Play the above mentioned home-brew RPG.
Raise my above mentioned childeren to love RPGs, (they will probably become jocks or something in their rebellious teenage years).
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Dranem)
I like FanGirl's way of thinking.. claim the ticket anonymously.

I'd like it too, but unfortunately it just don't work like that. Most places I'm familiar with, one of the requirements to claim the ticket is to allow your name to be added to a media frenzy.

~J
emo samurai
I'd sell my soul to the devil in exchange for magic, I'd sell my soul to his younger brother for eternal youth, and I'd sell my soul to his youngest brother for invulnerability. That way, when I die, they'll have to go to war over my soul and cede the war between heaven and hell to heaven, and to prevent this, they will have to make sure I never die. Like in Hellblazer, except I'd be a shitload more powerful than John Constantine.
Grinder
Awesome!

But beware, the devil may read (and post?) here too.
stevebugge
I would perpetrate a nanosecond buyout biggrin.gif
emo samurai
My soul is too much of a prize for him to pass up. devil.gif
Teulisch
If you win the lottery? first, you have to collect. that takes a bit of time, with powerball they dont know your actual prize amount for about a week. Which is plenty of time to get a good CPA to help you with taxes, and things. You want to donate some to charity (it would help with taxes certainly), and invest your nest egg in long-term growth. If you dont have a house yet, get a nice one.

as for gifts.. anything over a certain amount ($10,000?) is taxed. keep that in mind when giving to friends and relatives.

aside from that.. keep a low profile. you think spam and telemarketers are bad now? add a 'im rich' flag and they will annoy you a lot more.

emo... your soul is worth about $5.74 U.S. dont get yer hopes up. its a buyers market these days. the devils would use it as a poker chip (and maybe an ashtray).
SL James
I'd gladly use him as an ashtray.
Kagetenshi
$11k, and souls went for about a buck twenty-five when I was buying five years back.

~J
MK Ultra
And you´d pay more then $5.74 for it SL?
PBTHHHHT
Dagnabit, I was trying to buy a soul with a cookie on LegendMud 10 years ago, there wasn't any takers. And now they're going for only 5.74?! *grumble*
Lindt
Im sure we could take up a collection to buy Emos off him. Its not like he needs it or anything.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Thank you, Shansu! smile.gif
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Hey, there plently of girl gamers out there! I happen to be one of them.

I'm with Morgannah, everyone knows there are no girls on teh internets.

Warmaster Lah
Well I have a standard deal with the fates. It’s the old “Over 5 million dollars / 40% for good deeds.”

Then there is my rule of “Money Windfalls over $500” were I have to save half of it.

Now with 50 million:

40% Good deeds examples:
Charitable Donations
Starting a Halfway house
Start a College Schoolarship fund.
Hire Mercenaries to kick the drug dealers and criminals out of my old hood. (Why not)

The Other 50%:
Savings
Dream investment

The last 10%:
Splurge
Buy Stripclub and Regular Bar (just on the list)
$400,000 on lotto tickets (again Why not.)
Hire a badass Bodyguard. Preferably Bushido Brown (if you’ve seen Boondocks. He would be forced to wear a Katana at all times though.)

I’d like to put 50% away for investment but I think I’d really like to write full time. Use my money to make more money and then achieve my true dream. Start my own Movie/Anime/Book/Cartoon production company. Hopefully get some of my ideas produced and shown across America.
PlainWhiteSocks
Airline tickets.

I'd play SR at every con I could get info on to get experience playing with different people. Go for something like 25+ cons for the first two years.

Let the finance corp handle most of the money since I don't know squat about it.

venenum
QUOTE (emo samurai)
My soul is too much of a prize for him to pass up. devil.gif

Know emo. They are immortal, so whats sixty years to them. Why would they bargin with you. they wait a little while and they get it for free.
emo samurai
Who knows, I might go to heaven. It would be their only chance.

Of course, I'd bargain with each one separately so they don't know about each other.
Fresno Bob
If I won the lottery, I'd buy a private island, and host Bentley demolition derbies.
Dog
I was thinking I'd offer a few thousand bucks to any person who approached me, on the condition that they never speak to me again. That way, I'd know who my true friends are.

Gamewise: Whatever house I get, I'd install a big-ass gaming room with comfy office chairs, VA's, and snack buffet. And I'd invite everyone over to play. Then I'd do something extravegant to make it up to my wife.

And commission an SR graphic novel, but maintain creative control.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Teulisch)
as for gifts.. anything over a certain amount ($10,000?) is taxed. keep that in mind when giving to friends and relatives.

It's $12,000 currently in the US. It goes up by $1,000 every year or two.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (Dog)
I was thinking I'd offer a few thousand bucks to any person who approached me, on the condition that they never speak to me again.  That way, I'd know who my true friends are.

Gamewise:  Whatever house I get, I'd install a big-ass gaming room with comfy office chairs, VA's, and snack buffet.  And I'd invite everyone over to play.  Then I'd do something extravegant to make it up to my wife.

Smart man.
hyzmarca
I would fake my own death; I would start a new life someplace where no one knows my name and everyone is too afraid to ask it; and I'd have all of my enemies killed.

....We are talking in character, right?

If not then just drop the last one.

ShadowDragon8685
Hyz, we know you'd still have all your enemies killed. nyahnyah.gif

Me? Hmmmmmmmm...

I'd use my money to make my aunt and uncle and mother's lives better... Probably peel out a few thou to a friend of mine...

Mostly I'd invest it, in such a way that if I don't get crazy, I can live very well forever. smile.gif
BookWyrm
#1-- Buy my parents' house. Why? It's an investment. They get retirement money, I get a place to live, & no change of address nor moving insanity.

#2-- Open a line of credit with Compleat Strategist. Make sure I get all the books I need the second they arrive.

#3-- Hire my older brother as my driver. Get a custom stretch Saturn made. Travel in style.

#4-- Invest at least $1 million. Get the commlink developed ASAP.

#5-- A little travel, visit friends, generally have a good time.
Kyoto Kid
After the formalities of hiring a Chartered Accountant to set everything up properly...

1. Pay off remainder of student loans and other debts.

2. Take my two-year long around the world dream sabbatical which involves travelling only via first class trains and ships (after all, a vacation should be relaxing).

3. Be a benefactor of the arts.

4. Buy a "Madden Cruiser" (hybrid) to tailgate at the best sports venues (and of course make the convention circuit).

Living-wise, I'd pretty much stay where I am now (after all, Portland is a really cool city, at least until those fascist jackbooted elves take it over). However, I would move up the road a bit into Laurelhurst - many nice old eccentric homes there.
Kagetenshi
To add to above: found a school, if I'm feeling do-gooderish and masochistic.

~J
Zolhex
Here is a spin on this thread what would you do if you won the world lotto?

It is from what I understand a lotto that you need to pick like 50 numbers and the payout is again from what I understand in the Billions
Kagetenshi
I'd imagine I'd be born to a middle-class family in the Northeast US and end up with a solid education. You?

~J
Critias
I'd start up Professor Critias's School for Gifted Youngstes, in upstate New York. My students would fly around in a jet, and wear lots of black leather, and have super powers. I'd throw money at my dream until it happened.
SL James
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
To add to above: found a school, if I'm feeling do-gooderish and masochistic.

~J

I might do the same, but only because the ninja monkey assassins have proven time and time again to be utterly incompetent.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Critias)
I'd start up Professor Critias's School for Gifted Youngstes, in upstate New York. My students would fly around in a jet, and wear lots of black leather, and have super powers. I'd throw money at my dream until it happened.

Why not yellow spandex?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012