Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building Better Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Wiseman
After running about a dozen games or so, i'm still having problems reconciling TM's in our group.

I've seen a lot of people houseruling the extreme costs of building a technomancer, but I'm having a hard time doing so myself. But as they are, they seem so fragile and one sided, it becomes difficult to integrate them into the game.

Not even considering the background of TM's (which has its own wierd and sometimes difficult to include in the flavor), and ignoring all the unanswered questions that arise when they play. Is it possible to build an effective TM?

Now though similar to mages, they differ in how they purchase the complex forms from how a mage purchases spells. Though it would seem easy to say, it costs 3BP per CF just like mage spells (and ratings are at your resonance), this isn't exactly apples to apples.

Mages learn few spells and pay a price to sustain them. Technomancers learn few forms and sustain them all without penalty, but pay a price to sustain threading of CF's they don't know. So technically TM's "know" every CF, but at the cost of efficiency. Allowing them to spend less BP's to permanently sustain more CF's is like allowing the mage to "Thread" new spells he/she doesn't know.

Hackers with just a little bit of money can learn every program there is at max rating but are required to switch out the currently uploaded or suffer initiative penalties. Rarely do you need to use more than 4-6 programs at once however. And whats more, hackers can benefit from cyber things like control rig which are very useful but heavily penalize TM's (TM riggers in this case) and skillwires (which really make a hacker/cyber character sooooooo much more capable than a non wired individual).

No matter how you make a TM, you tend to run low on BP's and really put bare minimums on a lot of areas to make them at least somewhat effective at what can only be called over-specialization in the matrix. Even then, with the insane karma costs to learn new CF's and submersion and such, your growth potential (though uncapped) is so costly that it takes dozens of runs to catch up with the more versatile and better skilled hacker.

Then coupled with the hackers ability to write his own programs and break copyright, it almost seems too cheap to build and play an effective hacker and too costly to build a very limited TM. Even after numerous game sessions.

The gap between hackers/TM's grows with every new piece of available cyberware or any new programs/agents that they might come out with. And the ratio of nuyen to karma dictates that the hacker will always reach his max potential long long before a TM will even match what the hacker had at creation.

As a GM with both character types in the game, how do I adjust for these large gaps in playability? Do I tell the downtrodden and disheartened techno that he made a bad choice. After looking at his points, there really wasn't much more he could've squeezed out of them and still been considered a hacker at all.

Its beginning to appear that he's more like a mystic adept of the matrix world than a full blown mage. As he can do some things, and some things he can do faster, but mostly he's stuck on the sidelines watching the hacker do everything better, upgrade faster, and ultimately have a lot more fun than he is.

The techno character really likes the flavor of waving his hand at drones and the almost magical feel of how he does things, but is starting to get quieter each game session.

Any advice from other GM's on how to give him his own moments to shine, to show how/where he outstrips the hacker? I know his sprites are powerful, but he feels like his sprites are the ONLY reason to be a TM and he's little more than a summoning shaman with bytes on the brain.

Slithery D
Sprites. They are the only powergaming reason to play a TM until you've earned lots and lots of karma. That and because hacking tests that don't rely upon attributes are the devil and should be avoided by all right thinking players.
Metasigil
I gotta agree with you on that one Slithery D. I'll admit I haven't looked too hard at the matrix section (I gave up once I relized that hacking cyberware was not clearly described. I want more GitS in my Shadowrun, damn it!) but frankly, it seems like the whole computer use system was put togeather a) for hacking first with little to no consideration for everyday use (Is it just me or is shelling out 50 nuyen.gif for the most basic of Edit programs kind of dumb? If my comlink doesn't come with the equivolent of Notepad, somethings gone seriously screwy) and b) just plain kind of weird. Hell, I don't know what you're supose to default to if you have no computer skill, or even if you can.
deek
Honestly, all I can comment on is what I do in my own games...and that is not allow TMs as characters. I want them to be really rare, tucked away in the shadow's shadow and I refer to them in-game from time to time, which scares some of my players, but ultimately, the only TM that will make it into my game will be an NPC.

TMs sound like a cool concept, but from everything I have read, I just don't think they are a viable character type...at least in current form.
deek
QUOTE (Metasigil)
I gotta agree with you on that one Slithery D. I'll admit I haven't looked too hard at the matrix section (I gave up once I relized that hacking cyberware was not clearly described. I want more GitS in my Shadowrun, damn it!) but frankly, it seems like the whole computer use system was put togeather a) for hacking first with little to no consideration for everyday use (Is it just me or is shelling out 50 nuyen.gif for the most basic of Edit programs kind of dumb? If my comlink doesn't come with the equivolent of Notepad, somethings gone seriously screwy) and b) just plain kind of weird. Hell, I don't know what you're supose to default to if you have no computer skill, or even if you can.

Just to quickly reply to this...

I have used Serbitar's option matrix rules and made all matrix actions follow the skill + attribute model. So, matrix perception, which RAW states is Computer + Analyze, actually becomes Computer + Logic, with the Analyze program capping total successes. So, matrix programs start acting similar to a spell's force, which makes things similar and easy to run with. Granted, a Force can be set up to 2 x Magic, whereas I have just begun to give programs a total of Rating + 1 success cap, but it all still works out.

Plus, I have capped successes based on skill rating + 1 as well...it works for our group and seems to fall in line with magic so it is easier for everyone to grasp.

Computer skill default is to Logic, IIRC. So, its just Logic - 1 for defaulting. Granted, the way we play, a defaulted skill can only get a max of one success...
Lagomorph
Having made a TM and massaged the spread of points I can make a few pointers for creation, but not for playing as the game in which I'll be playing the TM hasn't started yet. The best I could come up with was to not make a great hacker, but to minimize the expenditure of karma after the game has started.

The first is that CF's might be expensive in character creation, but they're MUCH more expensive in play. Every TM should max their available CFs in both number (Logic X 2) and in rating (max = resonance). The cost of a CF raised to 5 in play is 16, which is nearly the same cost to raise a skill group from 2 to 3, or raise resonance from 4 to 5. The latter costs add dice to many more areas than just that one CF would do.

Skills groups are more expensive than resonance to raise after creation, and equal during creation. So you want to start with your 3 skill groups Hacking, Electronics and Tasking, as high as you can, 3 or 4. Even if you have to drop your resonance a bit to start out, the 25 points to go from 5 to 6 resonance is worth two and a half ratings in skill groups, but after creation to raise 3 skill groups from 3 to 4 would be 60 karma, but raising Resonance from 5 to 6 would be 18 karma. So by building smart you've saved yourself 42 karma!

While you may not be able to start out great, you can start out in a way which will minimize your karma costs in the long term allowing for faster advancement.
lorechaser
But really, if the best build advice you can get is "Here's a way to not suck up quite as much karma later on down the road" then there might be an issue....

Luckily, Unwired is coming out soon (for SR values of soon).
Lagomorph
QUOTE (lorechaser)
But really, if the best build advice you can get is "Here's a way to not suck up quite as much karma later on down the road" then there might be an issue....

Luckily, Unwired is coming out soon (for SR values of soon).

I agree, in character creation, TM's lose too many points to do what it is they should do, but the rules for creation are layed out. Wiseman was hoping to avoid houseruling, so I gave him what I know about by the book creation since my character the game he'll be in is subject to being by the book as well.

While you can't avoid spending almost all your points on being a TM, you can spend them smartly so you don't have to spend as much karma on it later. That part isn't layed out clearly in the book.

Hopefully Unwired will make a big difference, but I don't think they'll completely rewrite TM character creation, which is basically what TMs need.
Jaid
as has been said, pretty much the only way to be a powerhouse with a technomancer is to use sprites like crazy.

personally, i would say certain cyber/bioware is probably worthwhile to the techno (mainly those that boost mental stats, but a control rig can be worthwhile if you plan on doing a lot of rigging). it's a tough choice though, because resonance actually even adds to your ability to resist fading...

generally speaking though, your best bet (in terms of effectiveness) is probably to make sure you can cover the areas your sprites can't, and cover them as best you can (ie max rating CFs), and try to expand from there as it becomes possible with karma.

and with your money, buy yourself some drone swarms... you can always use more drones wink.gif
Wiseman
The min/maxing BP's to plan for karma later is definitely an option, but one our TM doesn't have at this point.

If I'd had told him that if he didn't carefully min/max his build, he'd be sorry, he probably wouldn't have bothered making a TM.

The rules are what they are, and since i'm not really wanting to house rule, it might seem like this is a post going nowhere.

But the reality is i'm looking for some clever options to breathe the RP life back into him (without making it the all Technomancer show), that makes him feel more unique and special despite his less effectiveness compared to the hacker.

In hindsight, maybe it wasn't best to have both a hacker and a TM in the game. Even though the hacker is more hacker/rigger and the TM is more the system buster, the hacker seems to be just as efficient at both with less risk and more options. Yet, we have an adept ninja guy and a street sam and they both seem to think their way is secretly better (as they should feel).

Perhaps only allowing TM NPC's would have been best to perserve the flavor and mystery without sticking someone with the one-legged mule character. But I find it difficult as the TM is/was sold as being just as capable as the hacker in filling the matrix action role, when in reality he isn't even a close second without massive amounts of karma.

Even worse than the initial imbalance is when giving out the rewards, the hacker only mainly cares about the payoff, while the TM hopes for every point of karma there is. Of the two, money is easily the more available (even with careful limits to ensure they don't all have Beta implants and high lifestyles) than karma, and players can even "pool" there nuyen to buy something the group may want the hacker to have, but no one can help the TM.

The hacker is who they ask to protect their commlinks, after all his agents are customizable, don't give any lip, and aren't limited by tasks or bound limits like sprites are. The hacker can copy and install "IC" agents on all the players commlinks no sweat. I guess the TM can too, but what fun is it playing a TM who uses agents and programs to fill in the gaps.

I don't know what the solution is, but the player of the TM isn't really the type to complain, its just written on his face every time the Hacker takes a turn and does something the TM considers astounding or something that would take the TM a lot of karma to work for.

If the gap wasn't so large, I doubt this particular player would even notice, but its palapable enough that after a good ten runs or so that the hacker has all his persona attributes and most programs at rating 6 while the techno is still working on what he considers basic essential CF's to crack a system and one submersion grade.

Do I increase karma (which really just pushes everyone faster), decrease money (which limits everyone more), or just tell the guy to build something else and i'll spot him back the karma to date (since its not really his fault)?

Should I get more into the submersed parts of the matrix to really make him feel like he's in some secret fraternity or create a bad guy TM that he has to track by matrix resonance signatures?

All in all I want to help him enjoy the game he works hard to be a part of, whatever solution is best. I just don't have any idea what the solution is at this point. I've got 5 players, 4 happy, 1 confused.

Konsaki
The only reason I figure the devs didnt make buying CFs like spells is...
What happens if your TM buys an assload of CFs and then burns all his Karma to up his submersion and res to 6 and 12 respectively? Yeah thats alot of Karma to spend, but you now have a TM with rank 12 CFs, no matter what they are. That right there is TWICE the max for Hackers and in the realm of OMFG!
But I do agree that the cost is a little high, I am playing a TM in one of the games going on right now on DS.
Wiseman
I am playing a TM in one of the games going on right now on DS.

Hows it going for you then? Any tips or tricks I could pass along to the TM? Do you feel your character is balanced during play compared to your other group mates?
Slithery D
I think you're really selling sprites short. They can do things that hackers can never do, no matter how good or numerous his programs. Make up some interesting game challenges that go beyond cybercombat or breaching security can be best performed by sprite using their powers. The badassedness of sprites is the reason CFs cost so much - the hacker needs some reason to play.

Find reasons to use Courier and Data sprites. Encourage Machine sprites for wacky rigging experiences. Pump that Resonance up to 6 first thing so you can get them at Rating 6 without physical fading. Roleplay them as having personalities.

Of course, if he wanted "magical" direct hacking, rather than embracing the real advantage of TMs because he didn't understand them at first, he's kind of screwed.
rangda
I've seen a lot of people houseruling the extreme costs of building a technomancer, but I'm having a hard time doing so myself. But as they are, they seem so fragile and one sided, it becomes difficult to integrate them into the game.

Our team has a technomancer, hacker, and rigger on it. From what I have seen of technomancers, they are unplayable w/o some house rules as their rules as defined in the rulebook are incomplete. Your group will be left filling in the blanks.

Is it possible to build an effective TM?

From what I have seen in our group (I am not intimately familiar with the matrix rules playing a mage) the TM is hyper specialized but is very, very good at what he does.

Case in point, on our last run he threaded his stealth once to 10 and once to 9, as far as I can tell programs can't go higher than 6, this right away gave him a big edge in hacking a network undetected.

I see him doing a lot of stuff with sprites, hackers can't multitask like a technomancer can with his sprites.

Then coupled with the hackers ability to write his own programs and break copyright, it almost seems too cheap to build and play

This I see as a big lie. Some programs (like spells) have a 3 month interval on the extended test; how in the world are you going to spend 12-18 months writing a piece of software? In our game we get a week or two between runs, this would never get done in our game.

I will say that TM's are even bigger karma whores than mages are; a bit too much IMO. They also seem to suffer from a lack of playability w/o a resonance of 6, which really hurts at chargen and eliminates cyber.
Wiseman
I think you're really selling sprites short.

Maybe, though I didn't sell them. But I probably can help the TM focus on this area by making them as colorful and as unusual as they appear. (I.E. roleplay them for him for a bit).

Of course, if he wanted "magical" direct hacking, rather than embracing the real advantage of TMs because he didn't understand them at first, he's kind of screwed.

I do think this is what he intended, but at this point i'm sure he'd be happy just to have an area to move into. Focusing on the relationships of weird AI's tied to the player may be exactly what I was missing the point on. I don't think he has a lot of ranks in Tasking, but least it gives him a solid direction to go that the hacker hasn't already RFID tagged with "been there, done that".

This I see as a big lie. Some programs (like spells) have a 3 month interval on the extended test; how in the world are you going to spend 12-18 months writing a piece of software? In our game we get a week or two between runs, this would never get done in our game.

I hear you, but I used the writing/copying example to point out that if I had two hackers in a group or even a rigger and a hacker, they could "share" programs, where as TM's couldn't. As for the actual writing of programs, a hacker can effectively arm himself with new programs with only time, whereas the TM needs time, karma, instruction, and more.

Its more the question of availability and ease than downtime between games. Also downtime between runs usually follows whatever the plot can take without leaving to much room for abuse than a standard "every two weeks you get a call" mentality.

I mean though no time is given for initiation or submersion, I'd imagine it doesn't just take the two seconds it uses to erase the karma. I mean the mage could be off in the metaplanes for weeks (and if time flowed differently there, could be months or years).

Think of it this way, whether the hacker goes on a run or not, he/she always has the options to get a new program, the TM needs karma, so no house sitting for him and downtime is really a penalty for him when its an advantage for everyone else.
Lagomorph
I think that the sprite angle may help a lot. And like pooling cash, you could also allow them to pool or borrow karma so that the TM could get something he needs.

Alternately, you could do Cash for Karma trades, maybe the TM supports an orphanage or something and gets karma for his good deeds.
rangda
QUOTE (Wiseman)
I hear you, but I used the writing/copying example to point out that if I had two hackers in a group or even a rigger and a hacker, they could "share" programs, where as TM's couldn't. As for the actual writing of programs, a hacker can effectively arm himself with new programs with only time, whereas the TM needs time, karma, instruction, and more.

Oh I agree that the hacker has it much better off than the TM, it's far easier to throw small to moderate amounts of money at the problem than huge chunks of karms (and there are so many things pulling at the TM at one time, all of which require karma).

I just don't think the ability to write your own software is much of an advantage. smile.gif But the ability to grab one off the shelf at the 2070 equivalent of Comp USA certainly is!
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Konsaki)
What happens if your TM buys an assload of CFs and then burns all his Karma to up his submersion and res to 6 and 12 respectively? Yeah thats alot of Karma to spend, but you now have a TM with rank 12 CFs, no matter what they are. That right there is TWICE the max for Hackers and in the realm of OMFG!

It's not like program ratings above 6 don't exist. The book goes out of its way to say that it is not a hard cap, either for program ratings or hardware ratings.

What the book did make clear is that, especially for high-rating Hardware, is that it doesn't have a base cost or an Availability. Basically it's not for sale. If your TM ever does get into that mythical realm where he outclasses the hacker, then on your next run to a high-security R&D lab let the hacker run into a cool new chip that he can adapt into his commlink and get to Response 8, or steal a code fragment that he can use to upgrade his Stealth program to 10.

TMs have brains and an already uncapped expansion, but you have all the resources of being the GM. smile.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Sep 13 2006, 12:04 PM)

It's not like program ratings above 6 don't exist. The book goes out of its way to say that it is not a hard cap, either for program ratings or hardware ratings.

What the book did make clear is that, especially for high-rating Hardware, is that it doesn't have a base cost or an Availability. Basically it's not for sale. If your TM ever does get into that mythical realm where he outclasses the hacker, then on your next run to a high-security R&D lab let the hacker run into a cool new chip that he can adapt into his commlink and get to Response 8, or steal a code fragment that he can use to upgrade his Stealth program to 10.

TMs have brains and an already uncapped expansion, but you have all the resources of being the GM. smile.gif

unless you're talking about the mythical realm of all the TM's CFs being at 8, then i wouldn't start handing out the hacker those higher rating devices. the TM had to spend everything he had getting there... letting the hacker just pick it up (especially considering by this time he's made enough money to turn himself into a street samurai probably) is like a slap in the face.

essentially, the technomancer is a lot like a "matrix adept".

just as the adept is really, really good at the one thing they specialise in (whereas a street samurai can be an incredible generalist) the technomancer can get amazingly powerful in their area of specialty (and it will be very small, i'm afraid) but the hacker will be a much better generalist.

the trick is for the TM to use sprites to handle his non-specialised areas... a crack sprite can make alarms a joke. by the time the alarm goes off, it's got an admin level account, cancelled the alarm, subverted the IC, and targetted the spider (who is now unconcious and drooling in his seat from swarms of black IC turning on him) and has control of the security systems and has gotten you the paydata you needed.

a fault sprite will do horrible, horrible things to people in matrix combat. a courier sprite can actually encrypt stuff for real, not that pretend hacker crap that lasts a few seconds. machine sprites can get any autosoft imaginable (i imagine this includes autosofts that are not core, per se, like the "autosoft" in medkits and autodocs, or various technical skill autosofts in repair/construction drones etc). turning a regular drone into one throwing 12 dice on attack and defense is no small thing! one of the sprites can disguise everything on your teammate's commlinks iirc... which is really nice if a enemy hacker manages to get into their commlinks.

seriously man, look up the special abilities of the sprites. those things are no laughing matter, they make the TM very scary if you use them.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Wiseman)
I am playing a TM in one of the games going on right now on DS.

Hows it going for you then? Any tips or tricks I could pass along to the TM? Do you feel your character is balanced during play compared to your other group mates?

Right now I just got Caittie out of the "Backstory" second of the game "Hitting Bottom". Basicly, I was playing out why my character became a runner, and 11 other people are doing thier backstories too, at the same time.
Since I havent worked right next to a hacker yet in this game, I cant really tell you much other than, "Think outside of the box."
Example - If you can spoof 2 commands to a gun to drop its clip and reload to make it worthless to an enemy, why hack the commlink and go the long route?

Check it out here.
laughingowl
One option is bring back (from previous versions) money -> karma rules.

The easiest (RP wise) is allow the TM to 'study/learn/contemplate' the nature of computers/electronics/etc.

Make them buy expensive(ish) and rarer hardware (and debatably software) and 'meditate' over it. This process irrevocably damages/destroys the hardware/software (microfractures/code degradation, etc) but impoves the TMs understnading.

Adjust ¥ / Ratio / time to fit your gaming needs

The money to karma / karma to money if done right (even if right is on the fly adjusting by gm) is one of the only ways (IMO) to balance karma intensive (TM, Phys Ads, mages) to Money extensive (sammies/hackers)

After all if the 'mage' spens ¥1,000,000 to buy a copy of Harelquin notebook from when he was an apprentice and then spends time studying it he should get 'karma' (well various 'magic' skills should improve).
Valentinew
I'm playing a TM right now in my game...'course we have no hacker, so I'm not feeling inadequate atm.

In addition to sprites, which I'm still working out, threading is also a nice thing. Being able to do ANYTHING at any point is some nice flexibility. Not sure you can make that roll with your current CF? Thread it higher.

I did have a question, as I've never played even a hacker before (we always npc's the hacking & rigging out), what does a control rig do exactly, & why would it be better for a tm to use one?
Konsaki
QUOTE (Valentinew @ Sep 14 2006, 06:44 PM)
I did have a question, as I've never played even a hacker before (we always npc's the hacking & rigging out), what does a control rig do exactly, & why would it be better for a tm to use one?

A Control Rig allows a person to jump into a drone and control it like the drone was thier own body. If the drone is damaged the person takes damage due to the need of a SIM module to manage the flow of sensor data.
As a GM, I would rule that TMs can either do this inherantly, or would be able to have this effect by using machine sprites.

As for the Money -> Karma thing, if one of my players were to do something with their money for a good cause (Donate to a orphanage, homeless shelter, buy 10 homeless guys new cloths during winter, ect) they would get some ammount of Karma to compensate for it. Admittantly, the only classes that would really use this would be Mages, Adepts, and TMs (In increasing usage order).
This way the characters that dont really need alot of cash but need karma would get it if they could figure a way to RP the loss of it for a good deed. (Karma... Good deed... get it?)

As I have yet to GM a group other than some spaztastic chrome blenders, this houserule has never really gone into effect. grinbig.gif
Wiseman
A Control Rig allows a person to jump into a drone and control it like the drone was thier own body. If the drone is damaged the person takes damage due to the need of a SIM module to manage the flow of sensor data.

Actually it just adds +2 to vehicle tests (no small bonus). Anyone in VR can "rig" by jumping into a device/drone/building. But cyber characters get the advantage of +2 vehicle test dice.

Funny though that the TM which has much less points for skills and would benefit by any + dice to rigging, can't get it without lowering their resonance by one.

The hacker/rigger can easily afford a few pilot skills, and then top it off with control rig.

I'm all for the sprites and well aware of their powers. As powerful as they are however, they are limited by tasks available and remote tasks use up all their remaining tasks. Yes they are a strong point, but hardly enough to account for the price TM's pay for it.

See when I look at the TM, a 5BP quality, I see it as they should have a slight advantage over the hacker (thus the 5BP cost). But I don't see it that way at all.

They're less versatile (overall), always exposed to risk (as stun or physical damage), and generally cost so much to build, your lucky if they can shoot a gun and dodge outside the matrix. Their persona is limited by attributes.

So for a 5BP advantage, they cost tons more karma/BP, Take direct damage (all IC is black IC to a TM), lose out on gear/cyberware/bioware, can't share programs, must bind a limited # of sprites just to be as effective, and are worthless in the physical world do to the extreme # of skills needed for the "basics".

How the hell is it really an advantage at all? The more I explore the playability and balance of TM's, I begin to think they should only be NPC's...
mintcar
I've not played with it in game, but my interpretation of the TM rules is that they can only be traced by another TM. As has been said; the rules are not complete and you can do as you wish to fill in the blanks—but there is a special trace that only TM's leave and only TM's can detect. Why should they leave two kinds? I imagine that they leave some kind of unreadable code that looks spooky and wrong to any regular hacker. So they can be painstakingly traced by following the spooky code from node to node, but they can't be identified or easily traced by conventional means. It's things like this—playing up the difference and making tecno- and regular hacking two different realms like with magic and mundane—that I plan to use to make them viable.
twilite
From what I have seen of our TM and another friend playing one:

TM with Stealth of 6 + Rating 6 Sprite using Assist Operation = 12 Stealth (assuming this isn't hit by the cap on Complex Forms of the TM's Resonance- this may be how our GM's have ruled it, and not RAW, but the cap seems to be in the paragraph on p233 about buying the Complex Forms, so it seems reasonable.)
Stealth 12 means that on tests to break in, the system must get 12 successes to detect you- really tough while the Assist lasts. Before they do so, you hopefully have Admin Access and everything is much easier. For the Probing method, you have the Sprite Assist just before you actually go in, and the system gets one shot at 12 successes- not bloody likely. For more madness, you can also Thread and have a Sprite sustain it, bringing Stealth to even higher levels (sustained by a Sprite, of course).

In addition, check out the Diagnostics power on p237. Have a Sprite use that on drones, gun cameras, sensors, coms or what have you, and it's several additional dice for the user.
Lagomorph
Oh, Wiseman, One thing i thought of today that could help out your TM to make it interesting to roleplay more. Have free sprites that only TM's can see, they can offer advice or make their presence known by flickering lights or other ghostly things.
Glayvin34
I tried the TM thing, then politely requested his death from the GM so I could play a normal Hacker. The biggest problem I was running up against was that I was comparing Resonance and Threading to Magic and Sustaining. A mage can pop some Psyche to get a -1 on drain, has Mentor Spirits to improve spells, and foci to add more dice to whatever. And not to mention that even a non-Combat Mage can pick up a few spells to protect his ass in the Valley of Darkness. TMs have to spend even more of their precious Karma/ BP to shoot a gun or something. But that's not a fair comparison, as proved over and over on the boards, here.

We tried coming up with houserules for Mentor Sprites and added in that Psyche also gives TMs a -1 to sustain a threaded CF, but the TM still couldn't do the legwork. Not like my new Orkish Gun Bunny Hacker can, anyway.

In retrospect I could've done a better job at exploiting the few advantages that TMs do have:
-Can't be tracked conventionally
-The couple of sprite powers that aren't easily duplicated by high-rating software (Hash, cookie, Diagnostics, and arguably a few more)
-Unhackable PAN (?) This is an odd one- if your smartlink is subscribed to your Living Persona, can an enemy get a successful Matrix Perception test and spoof? We thought not, but the jury is still out.
-Really high threaded CFs for tests that have program ratings as their threshold. If Stealth is threaded out the wazoo, then it's fairly impossible to be detected on the way into a node. There's another rule or two that goes by the same token, I can't remember which Matrix Actions they are.

Hopefully Unwired will have full "alternative rules" for TM character creation and they can get some playability. In the meantime, a good Houserule is that CFs are 5 karma and are always have a rating equal to Resonance, and that Psyche drops the dice penalty for threading to -1.
Jaid
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
In the meantime, a good Houserule is that CFs are 5 karma and are always have a rating equal to Resonance, and that Psyche drops the dice penalty for threading to -1.

that's fine in the short term, but it can get too crazy in the long term.

perhaps simply reducing the cost of CFs would be better?
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 14 2006, 06:39 PM)

You're right, and it didn't work out in the long term. Not even for the TM. Is there a good logical way to reduce the Karma expenditure to upgrade a CF? They are already the cheapest possible Karma expenditure. Unless you go for a one-for-one rating increase, i.e. 1 Karma to go from CF rating 3 to CF rating 4. But that's not all that different from just having them cost 5 Karma.

Half a karma? lick.gif
Unspent Karma halves can only be spent on CFs? I dunno.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Hopefully Unwired will have full "alternative rules" for TM character creation and they can get some playability. I

Given the look at Street Magic being an extention of Core, I don't think you'll see re-writes but add-on type rules.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Sep 14 2006, 04:07 PM)
Hopefully Unwired will have full "alternative rules" for TM character creation and they can get some playability.  I

Given the look at Street Magic being an extention of Core, I don't think you'll see re-writes but add-on type rules.

Yar, I'm hoping for a "Tweaking the Rules" section like page 31 in Street Magic.
Jaid
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 14 2006, 06:39 PM)

You're right, and it didn't work out in the long term. Not even for the TM. Is there a good logical way to reduce the Karma expenditure to upgrade a CF? They are already the cheapest possible Karma expenditure. Unless you go for a one-for-one rating increase, i.e. 1 Karma to go from CF rating 3 to CF rating 4. But that's not all that different from just having them cost 5 Karma.

Half a karma? lick.gif
Unspent Karma halves can only be spent on CFs? I dunno.

simple enough.

karma for new CF: 1
karma to improve CF by 1: new rating / 2, round up.

thus, the cost to go from 0 to 6 would be 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3 for a total of 12 karma, as compared to 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, for a total of 22 karma.

a little over half, so if you want to reduce it further you could always change the rounding to be round down, which would make it 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3 to get to 6, or 10 karma.

also, of use in the new books, i would expect something similar to ordeals and initiatory groups, which will make it cheaper to submerge, and who knows what new echoes we may see.

personally, some i have considered (but never tested) include:

granting bonus boxes of damage in the form of a matrix condition monitor that takes a beating before the TM does. probably the more balanced version is that you can take it 3 times, each time giving one box, but if you want it to be better you could just make it 1 box per submersion. the condition monitor can be repaired as normal using medic program, but cannot be used to take fading.

either "virtual cyberware" or the ability to ignore some limited amount of cyberware as it relates to your resonance only. that is, your resonance could withstand some minor essence loss without dropping. probably you would want to keep this from getting too insane, but a little would be fine. it would probably be limited to cyber, and would probably be even more limited to cyber that interacts with the matrix and such (datajack, internal commlink for storage, skillwires, control rig, maybe some others). in the event of virtual cyberware, this would be multiple separate echoes (probably one for storage, one for skillwires, one for control rig... datajack is not really needed, although you could always add on skinlinking for free to one of the upgrades (probably storage, as it's the least impressive). assuming you don't already give out free skinlinking to technomancers.

just a couple thoughts, and like i said, i haven't implemented them yet. the virtual skillwires could be pretty crazy when you consider the possibility of threading skillsofts though... eek.gif

another thought, and one that seems kinda interesting... since all attacks on a TM are like black IC, does that mean TMs get to use biofeedback filter *and* armor against all attacks? would go a long way towards making them tougher...
cybertrucker
Heres another bad point that I am gaining from reading the technomancer write up.. It looks like they are always broadcasting they have a broadcast range just like commlink but you can turn a commlink off... The only way a technomancer could be turned off is by geeking him. I dont know I could be wrong in my assumption but it seems like if your trying to run stealth in the meat world having a constant broadcasting technomancer on your team might just give you away in alot of situations.

Let me know if I am wrong on this. Also if a person is hacking a technomancers brain, just like a commlink can be hacked and does a search for data will he be able to read the technomancers thoughts? Just a few things I was curious about. If I can hack a commlink and search it for info stored there shouldnt I also be able to search the technomancers brain there for info as well if I succsessfully hack him?
DireRadiant
What makes you think the TM can't limit his signal range, or turn it down.

And I believe a TM is not able to be tracked except by other TM and sprites, so it isn't as bad as it could be.
Konsaki
IIRC, TMs can choose to turn off thier boradcasting and also have the options of Active, Passive, and Hidden like commlinks do. One thing though, is a TM will probably behave differently if deprived of the Matrix, like a mage would in a magic dead zone or with mageblinders on.

Also, I dont think a TM could be hacked due to the fact that he has no storage space in his brain for any data. Therefor if a hacker got in, he wouldnt be able to do anything due to no space to load his programs to.
A TM has to transfer data from a node to some other storage device like cloths, guns, or whatever.
Glayvin34
I'm pretty sure that TMs have a subscription list, like other nodes. They can choose to ignore the Matrix if they want to, when they "reboot", they physically sever all ties to the Matrix for few hours. I don't get what the hell that's supposed to do, though.
TMs can jack out (pg. 220), they mentally sever the VR stream which causes dumpshock. And I guess the Living Persona evaporates? That's cool, I guess. When a normal Persona's controller jacks out, the Persona remains, unmoving and vulnerable to tracking, hacking and crashing.

Edit: But I bet TM dumpshock is automatically physical. dead.gif
Wiseman
There really has been some good tips here in regards to coloring the game a little more to the TM's uniqueness.

But there are more and more things that thankfully haven't come up yet in gameplay, which I think will end the TM's career by player suicide.

Ok, a hacker busts in a system, switching between cold and hot sim as needed, he takes a little damage and medics up and keeps on going. Worst case it crashes his OS and he has to reboot (a few minutes). Or maybe he just wants to start his MCM over and reboots anyway.

The TM gets a little overzealous and takes some damage fighting off an agent with an attack program. He piles on the stun damage and risks taking physical, He jacks out to a lot of pain. He can't reboot for hours, and even if he did, he'd still be wounded unless he rested up/healed/saw a street doc..etc.

This means that a run gone wrong for the hacker and a few precious seconds he's right back in the game. The TM however his having a tougher time getting back up and running. Even with Stim Patches and drugs, the TM is sorely lacking the edge a the purchase of a quality would imply.

Add the risks above to fading from just using your powers or compiling that sprite and your talking about a very limited amount of flexibility even with all those open ended threaded CF's and sprites.

Its simply not a balanced class for a typical run involving sams, faces, adepts, mages and riggers.

He's sub-par, more a liability with a few nifty effects that at best achieve what a hacker can do with more versatility, safety, and team support.

Are TM's worthless, I don't think so. But they sure as hell aren't on par with almost any other archtype/build available.

I think I'll work my player's TM death into a nice plot line, use it to shake up the other players, and let the TM player rebuild something more playable with a GM apology.

I don't see another choice. I can still RP up the coolness of sprites and TM's as flavor without expecting a player sit there and act like the two sentences he gets for it in description of matrix combat is worth it.

TM's = fragile and overly specialized characters that are expected to survive/succeed for quite awhile before they come anywhere close to as cool as they sound.

Maybe they are more viable in higher powered campaigns. But even at a 500BP, they're still not any prettier on paper.
Konsaki
Quick advice: Ask the player if he wants to kill off his char first before you just up and kill him. He might like his char for RP perposes, you never know.
And if you truly think that the TM class is too weak, use some houserules to bring it up some.

Thinking about one thing you just said about the hacker just rebooting to fix his personna. If you jsut had a virus (IC) rewrite your OS (Personna) it would take more than a reboot to fix the damage. Take that into the game and make the hacker do a couple of programming tests over 1h periods to make his commlink work after a full personna crash.
This will make your hacker think about what he is doing and the danger his commlink is in during Matrix battles. Makes for a more gritty game too.
Suitcase Murphy
One thought I had, and it does really tend towards powergaming, but it's a legal method that might be the way to build the better technomancer. Writes the book: "Technomancers don’t use programs the way hackers do (though nothing prevents them from picking up a commlink and going to town if they want that “retro” experience—but few do)."

So what you do is make a technomancer who excels with sprites, but you don't really bother too much with complex forms. Basically what I'd do in this case is buy Resonance way up, get Tasking skills (or at least Compiling and Registering), and when you need to do something with a Sprite, you can, and you've got good stats for the occasional bit of Threading, too. If you're doing non-Sprite things, use a commlink and the vastly more BP-economical programs you buy. In game terms I think you'd maybe have to play it where if they're doing a commlink connection they can't do any of their technomancer stuff, including control sprites, but the rules on that are completely nonexistent.

The IC justification would be that they were a programmer or a hacker or something and they got changed in the Crash. Essentially what you'd be making is an aspected TM, specific to sprites, and with a commlink and such for regular hacking.

Thoughts?
Moon-Hawk
That would be great, except that they'd need to either double-purchase their Cracking and Electronics group (since techno's use the technomancer version of these skills, which is different from the regular ones) in addition to Tasking, or they'd have to buy regular hacker Cracking and Electronics and have no ability to hack as a techno, except for using sprites.
Kind of suck.
Perhaps a good fix would be to remove the rule that makes the technomancer version of those skills incompatible with the regular versions.
Wiseman
Yea I'll definitely discuss with him first, thats just plain good GM'ing.

I don't mind minor houserules, but when you have to practically re-write the book on TM's just to make them viable, I'd rather not.

I mean, thats why I bought the book rather than sit and make my own game. I don't expect everything to be perfect, but TM's have some huge problems for it being an "advantage".

The concept is extremely cool, it really just is. But beyond that there isn't much to play with from a GM/Player persepective.

I too am holding my breath for Unwired, but I feel even afterwards the gap between hacker and TM will only grow (unless they do some serious tweaking).

And i'm more than a little bothered that because of TM's, some "what should-be programs" were given as exclusive sprite powers as a bad attempt to balance them. (balancing a player by giving him pets cooler than him is always a bad idea).
Take cookie for instance, why the hell is that a power. We all deal with cookies all the time, this isn't some mystical resonance exclusive stuff. The reality is that only a few TM sprite powers really make sense as sprite powers (electron storm, hash, gremlins, stability, watermark), while others could very easily be programs (cookie, diagnostics, sternography, and I think suppression[?]).

Fact is I could remove TM's all together and lose nothing really. Theres already plenty of mysticism without em.

Though as much as i've come to think it was a mistake to let him play one, I got to be honest and say I'd really love them to work. Its just such a neat concept for the background and game type.
Jaid
i dunno, i think it would be cool to be able to thread whatever kind of mind-altering program/software you feel like =P
X-Kalibur
I know it doesn't state any rules for it, those of you saying hackers are so much better than TMs, but I'd imagine just like with decks of yore Comms can get fried from matrix combat. Just a thought for those looking to balance the field a little.
Valentinew
QUOTE (cybertrucker)
Heres another bad point that I am gaining from reading the technomancer write up.. It looks like they are always broadcasting they have a broadcast range just like commlink but you can turn a commlink off... The only way a technomancer could be turned off is by geeking him. I dont know I could be wrong in my assumption but it seems like if your trying to run stealth in the meat world having a constant broadcasting technomancer on your team might just give you away in alot of situations.

Let me know if I am wrong on this. Also if a person is hacking a technomancers brain, just like a commlink can be hacked and does a search for data will he be able to read the technomancers thoughts? Just a few things I was curious about. If I can hack a commlink and search it for info stored there shouldnt I also be able to search the technomancers brain there for info as well if I succsessfully hack him?

TMs don't, imo, broadcast in the same way as a commlink, for the simple reason that they have nothing to broadcast. They have no storage to hold a SIN, or whatever else is usually broadcasted.

The way I see it, TMs always run in stealth mode, which is why they need to carry a comm to broadcast required info to even get into certain neighborhoods and avoid getting poked at by Lone Star....

I thought there was a thread earlier about whether a TMs brain could even be hacked. I also thought the consensus was no, as there's no data there to hack, nor programs to fry. All that could happen is that the TM could be dumped offline rather abruptly.
Valrus
I know doing this would be being kind of mean to one of the players buuuut....

There's a one huge advantage the hacker can't ever hope to match the TM with. His stuff can be taken away.

If a hacker gets counter-hacked and his programs are erased, his commlink fried, he's pretty much screwed for a good while. If his commlink is smashed, he's done. If he's captured and his equipment is damaged/taken away/jammed/erased he's basically another sammie. Also helps with the money problem, the hacker will have to use up some of his funds(if he's got any) to replace stuff.

TM's on the other hand, this can't happen to.

It's the same way with adepts, I'm playing one ina game with a bunch inveszted in mystic armour, I can match a trolls soak easily. The difference is that if we're stripped of our gear, I can still take a hit, he cannot.

Another idea I have is to simply make some tasks easier for the TM. If the threshold for the hacker is 3, make it 2 for the TM, representing the way a technomancer is more "in tune' with the matrix is inherntly better at accessing and manipulating it, therefore things are easier for him. A hacker has to think like a computer and create methods to do stuff, a TM just does it 'cause he IS a computer essentially.
Konsaki
Not bad ideas, Valrus.
If I was GMing this group, I might just break the hacker's commlink if he glitched a dodge or soak roll. Not completely destroy it but damage it to where he will have to make a hardware check to repair it later.
This will make your TM shine while adding a little realism for the hacker. Remember, shit happens when you are being attacked.

The TN lowering also makes a little sense and you can legitamatly do it without houseruling anything. Just dont tell the players the TN to do an aciton and reduce it in your mind.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Wiseman)
Is it possible to build an effective TM?

Absolutely, but their optimal playstyle is different than hackers. I've played both almost exclusively, including a 32 hour shadowrun marathon consisting of 8 'runs in which my own TM made a big difference in every run. We had a hacker in the marathon as well and it took a few games to 'divvy' up roles so we could both enjoy our thing, but in the critical situations the TM had a bit better effectiveness using methods detailed below.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
Now though similar to mages, they differ in how they purchase the complex forms from how a mage purchases spells. Though it would seem easy to say, it costs 3BP per CF just like mage spells (and ratings are at your resonance), this isn't exactly apples to apples.

CF's are one of the weakest points of this archetype. I'll explain more farther down.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
Mages learn few spells and pay a price to sustain them. Technomancers learn few forms and sustain them all without penalty, but pay a price to sustain threading of CF's they don't know.

A dedicated Technomancer really has to have Resonance 6 since ALL their important rolls use it. This means when threading a well made Technomancer will have 4+6 dice for threading. This yields on average 3 extra dice so they can't sub Threading for forms but rather use Threading to get 3 extra dice.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
hackers can benefit from cyber things like control rig which are very useful but heavily penalize TM's (TM riggers in this case) and skillwires (which really make a hacker/cyber character sooooooo much more capable than a non wired individual).

Ok several thoughts on this:
1. Any mage or technomancer character with a DNI [Trodes, Nanopaste Trodes] to connect their innate commlink to the Knowsofts and Linguasofts can use them. Combined with already decent attributes this allows a Technomancer fairly decent rolls even with a Knowsoft-4.

2. Control Rigs with a skill of 4 yield a pre-Reaction total of 4+2+[3] dice. I include [3] because of the -1 threshold on the Control Rig. With a Reaction of 5 this yields an effective 14 dice with essence loss. A rating 7 Machine Sprite can have two autosofts which run at its rating, act with full AI intelligence, and can be communicated with via nigh-unhackable Resonance Link. Its like telepathy via the matrix. If not jammed, its perfect communications even allowing visuals and whatever autosoft you need at potentially superhuman ratings.

So lets compare this again
A hacker with control rig tends to throw about 14 dice. A rating 7 machine sprite throws 14 as well. Lets say you want easy drain on a zero karma TM, thats a .6 hit advantage to the hacker, but the hacker has tio be Jumped In, full VR, and can only do one drone. The TM can have several drones like this and even put multiple machine sprites in a drone! Have 1 with Clearsight and Electronic Warfare causing mayhem and the other with Maneuverability and a weapon based skill. You've got the equivalent of two fully automatic riggers in the drone at a cost of time and possibly Fading [drain]. Since the Fading is done like Binding on a Registering test this means if a TM has enough downtime between runs he can mack out his sprites and have them act like speedracer in his drones.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
No matter how you make a TM, you tend to run low on BP's and really put bare minimums on a lot of areas to make them at least somewhat effective at what can only be called over-specialization in the matrix.

The matrix, drones, and other VR things, yes. Bear in mind their ability to jam and intercept wireless signals makes them useful in combat for shutting down enemies communications while their sprite laden drones do whatever THEY are doing.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
Even then, with the insane karma costs to learn new CF's

Forget it. Resonance gives tons more bang for the buck even with the high cost [no ordeals or group discounts]

QUOTE (Wiseman)
...and submersion and such, your growth potential (though uncapped) is so costly that it takes dozens of runs to catch up with the more versatile and better skilled hacker.

Resonance, when talking about Sprites, is king. to a technomancer sure they grow less but their sprites are so very sick the hacker cant keep up.

Lets say your group has a Street Samurai. You whip up ['register'] a rating 6 Machine Sprite. You tell it to use Diagnostics on the Sam's Smartgun Link, a wireless device. It then adds its hits on a 12 dice [sprite rating x2] on ALL USES OF THAT DEVICE. That means using the smartgun camera [yes the description says they have cameras] for Perception and of course shooting tests. +4 dice. Lets see the hacker duplicate that! The Technomancer may not be directly adding to damage output, but a Sam with +4 dice on every trigger pull and perception test will!

Now lets talk sureveillance... you're a technomancer in the floorboards of the groups van going full VR. You put a machine sprite in an aerial drone to give it, on average, 4 extra dice on perception. You then have the machine sprite access the sensors and watch with you. It has clearsight 6 and uses another service to grant itself 8 hours of the Diagnostic power. thats tons of dice, fistfuls really.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
Then coupled with the hackers ability to write his own programs and break copyright

Arguably the technomancer uses Software more since its used for Threading. I had a technomancer with Software 6 specialized in Operational Utilities and Codeslinger in Threading and he almost always got 6 extra dice for threading. Then it was time to have a sprite sustain it to shed the -2 penalty. Then WABAM! fistfulls of dice.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
it almost seems too cheap to build and play an effective hacker and too costly to build a very limited TM.

Hackers are more multipurpose. Hacker Adepts are astounding, but the sprites sinch the effectiveness curve on the side of the TM.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
The gap between hackers/TM's grows with every new piece of available cyberware or any new programs/agents that they might come out with. And the ratio of nuyen to karma dictates that the hacker will always reach his max potential long long before a TM will even match what the hacker had at creation.

I disagree with this. A TM can use knowsofts [hot sim in his head by default] and any non-geek in shadowrun can load an agent up with programs, give it instructions, and have it do its thing. Heck, a street sam could do it! Now sure, this is a departure from the VR 2.0 when instructions had to be issued and a comprehension test made and all that drek, but in SR4 agents are fire and forget and great for low security things like general searches.

Lets talk about cybercombat... have you ever seen a tricked out starting hacker versus a rating 6 fault sprite? The sprite goes bloody fast, hits the hacker with 2 more cybercombat dice using blackhammer to lock the connection open and via the blackhammer causes the hacker to lose 2 dice... then next pass the sprite uses Electron Storm causing a damage-over-time that doesnt require any further cybercombat rolls and inflicts an additional 2 dice penalty, total 4 dice penalty.

Trumped.

There is one exception where the hacker can for a short while be king... Edge... but even so if the technomancer with his Stealth threaded and sustained by a sprite up to 12 and with the TM getting +2 matrix perception dice, potentially threaded analyze CF of 12 and a usually above average intuition makes the hacker unable to find the TM and unable to hide.

QUOTE (Wiseman)
As a GM with both character types in the game, how do I adjust for these large gaps in playability?

Pity the hacker when it comes to any situation involving commlinks, people talking wirelessles, the matrix, or drones. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Wiseman)
Any advice from other GM's on how to give him his own moments to shine, to show how/where he outstrips the hacker?

QUOTE (Wiseman)
I know his sprites are powerful, but he feels like his sprites are the ONLY reason to be a TM and he's little more than a summoning shaman with bytes on the brain.

Who controls the sprites?! He's a puppetmaster with his own very effective skillset. Here's a rule that should be clarified that could make your TM realize how broken the current ruleset is in FAVOR of him... the Diagnostics power adds dice every time the device is used... have him relay through a maxed out Commlink that one service from a Machine sprite using the Diagnostics power gives, on average, 4 extra dice for an 8 hour period. That will allow the technomancer to get gigantic DOUBLE fistfuls of dice and awe your hacker.

...and don't forget the Agents thing... a rating 6 Agent can do lots of non-critical things and act as free bodyguards to Sprites.

OTHER TRICKS
The Suppression power allows a rating 6 crack sprite to be the ultimate battering ram. They exploit in as an Administrator, add a second account, then inform the awaiting TM through the Resonance Link of his newly made Administrator login. He trapses in for free as an Admin, and the TM reroutes the alarm signal to call 1-900-TIMBUKTU instead of alerting security of the intrusion.

The Cookie power can be implanted with any duration and records connections. Plant one with a 1-pass duration when your Johnson is talking to someone and you'll amost instantly know to whom and be able to start the hacking process to the node their talking to.

Encrypt your commlinks using Steganography. Non TMs cant listen in PERIOD.

A bit more specialized, but.... consider asking for a Shapechange when hacking. As long as the mage can keep you covered you can perch on a rooftop and hack into very high security areas that use a low signal strength. Anti-wireless paint will foil this, of course, as will beign detected. Body tends to increase with net hits and perception thresholds rise making it harder to see the TM. Add Extended Masking on the caster and you get a matrix-based infiltrator that only needs a drone's commlink within his Resonance/2 signal range to store the data. Heck, have it steganographied as its transmitted and also when recorded and you dont even have to fret about it being intercepted very much.

GET CODESLINGER. Threading, Registering, Compiling, and such are Matrix actions. Pick one!

MANAGE FADING. Its the limiting factor that keeps TMs from ruling the world.

Long story short I think TMs are powerful, but they are part puppetmaster and part support character. They can do wonderful things in combat, out of combat, but lack the cyberware options that can color a hacker in a variety of good roles. What the TM does however, is par none the best in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. [barring time to register sprites.]

Hope this helps! smile.gif
[And sorry to be so wordy!]

-Wasabi
Konsaki
Wasabi, you sir are a master at this. I bow to your greatness. cool.gif
Wiseman
Control Rigs with a skill of 4 yield a pre-Reaction total of 4+2+[3] dice. I include [3] because of the -1 threshold on the Control Rig. With a Reaction of 5 this yields an effective 14 dice with essence loss. A rating 7 Machine Sprite can have two autosofts which run at its rating, act with full AI intelligence, and can be communicated with via nigh-unhackable Resonance Link. Its like telepathy via the matrix. If not jammed, its perfect communications even allowing visuals and whatever autosoft you need at potentially superhuman ratings.

I get what your saying, and of course there are always some creative options, but I state again that having a character with nothing but cool pets to do all the work takes some of the fun out of it. Sure he can remote task a register sprite to and fro, but then he traded the versatility in the meat and a lot of other areas for the ability to play den mother to a limited number of uber sprite hackers.

Arguably the technomancer uses Software more since its used for Threading. I had a technomancer with Software 6 specialized in Operational Utilities and Codeslinger in Threading and he almost always got 6 extra dice for threading. Then it was time to have a sprite sustain it to shed the -2 penalty. Then WABAM! fistfulls of dice.

lets not forget fading, and the cumulative wound modifiers it could entail. Sure it MIGHT happen that way, or it could go horribly horribly wrong really fast.

Hackers are more multipurpose. Hacker Adepts are astounding, but the sprites sinch the effectiveness curve on the side of the TM.

So make the sprites playable. I mean at some point as a GM you have to ask if the hacker is commanding drones in the physical and lets not forget that hackers have fully customizable agents (granted not AS powerful per se) but still can do a lot of things your attributing to sprites. And I don't think Diagnostics and Cookies should be resonance "powers". I have both of those on my computer now.

have you ever seen a tricked out starting hacker versus a rating 6 fault sprite?

Yup, but the reverse holds true also. Have you seen a top rating agent program with attack/armor/medic/track against a TM? I mean hell the agent doesn't even need Black IC programs. He can heal himself, but the TM can't. Its the same situation except for a hacker its a minor setback to lose in most cases. For the TM there is much more risk involved by even the "non-lethal" programs. Compare that the average TM has a weaker persona to the agent 6 than a hacker has to a sprite 6 since hackers can more easily upgrade theirs.

Both are tough battles granted. And i'm not saying that TM's are wholly unplayable, or not maybe even occasionally powerful in a players hands. However, the end result of all they accomplish can be done by the more versatile hacker, with less risk, and generally more effectiveness.

A hacker could take aptitude for hacking 7 and specialize in exploit. A TM could too, but really doesn't have the initial BP for things like this. Because of BP cost. Most TM's take far more in negative qualities than positive to get a few extra points. Hackers aren't just more versatile, they're better balanced archtypes. More easily customizable, rather than saying "oh your a TM, better get good with them sprites".

Pity the hacker when it comes to any situation involving commlinks, people talking wirelessles, the matrix, or drones.

Or pity the TM who just tried to compile a badass sprite and threw a bad fading resistance test. Same with CF's.

Long story short I think TMs are powerful, but they are part puppetmaster and part support character. They can do wonderful things in combat, out of combat, but lack the cyberware options that can color a hacker in a variety of good roles.

Look, you have a lot of good points and examples what "could" happen. And I can't disagree with a lot of it. But from the GM seat I can tell you this is NOT what is happening. Its NOT as fun to be a puppetmaster when the Hacker and his agents and rigged drones are just as much so and more.

Sacraficing everything for a few sprites (limited by charisma, tasking, resonance, and fading risk) to let them do all the "computer" stuff doesn't make a for a balanced archtype. Remember in the beginning of the post that it appears to me that my player feels like a matrix summoning shaman with bytes on the brain than any kind of mystic hacker.

Sprites vs Agents = Sprites are better (not even worth trying to refute)

But that in itself and all other things being equal is worth the 5BP. Any other disadvantage to that means that it isn't a "positive" quality anymore.

Hell, Technomancer would make more sense as a -5BP negative quality at this point. (you were horribly changed in the crash and forced to expose yourself to more risk)

If a hacker gets counter-hacked and his programs are erased, his commlink fried, he's pretty much screwed for a good while. If his commlink is smashed, he's done. If he's captured and his equipment is damaged/taken away/jammed/erased he's basically another sammie. Also helps with the money problem, the hacker will have to use up some of his funds(if he's got any) to replace stuff.

Huh, implanted commlinks are cover most of this stuff too. Any decent hacker will have copies of all his programs and maybe even a spare comm. He'd only have to reboot or at worst make a hardware + logic test to repair a fried commlink.

Head jammers are routinely used on any captured and suspected hackers. TM or no. "I think it was him fiddling with the sensors sir, we found him in the bushes with no commlink." "Put a head jammer on him and restrain him for questioning."

Hackers could also hide their commlinks in cyberarms/legs/etc.

But this didn't start as, nor was it my intention to turn this into a hacker vs TM who's better thread.

Its more a question of overall playability and its good buddy FUN. If my TM isn't looking like he's at all happy with them, how far should I go to correct it?

I can compensate with RP and let him run the TM's course (we might both learn something)

I can rule out TM's as player characters, giving him a reason to start anew, and probably conspire with him to work it into the plot and maybe even leave it open enough that he may come back to that character at some later date.

I can set-up a few special scenerios (as someone suggested) that allow him to use his resonance more (track another TM, follow that evil red lightning looking sprite), whatever.

Keep in mind it can't be the TM show, but it can't be the Hacker/Rigger show either (which is where I feel like it is now).

At character creation TM's are difficult to balance, I just don't see the improvement right now in game either.

Maybe I should have made this a poll. I really just don't know anymore, i'm so 6/6 over the whole thing.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012