Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sustaining Penalty
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fygg Nuuton
Does the +2 TN modifier apply to all tests, magic tests, or just casting spells?
Frag-o Delux
Characters sustaining spells have a +2 target modifier per sustained spell applied to all tests, including Drain Resistance Tests (but not normal Damage Resistance Tests).
Quix
So this is a new definition of 'all' is it? rotate.gif Damage resistance not really a test then or is 'all' a set that never includes damage resistance.

]note to self never type on so little sleep>
Frag-o Delux
Is that a poke at humor? The rule in the book was copied and pasted directly. The rule states all but normal damage tests. Would you like them to write down all the tests the +2 would apply? Take up valuable word count and the possiblilty of them missing one test and then having everyone bitch that doesnt make sense.

How much more clear can the rule be before people just accept it?
Domino
So if its a spell cast above magic and does physical damage I dont get the +2, right?
Frag-o Delux
You would get the plus 2 when you make the sorcery test, but for the drain, hmm, looks like a loophole to me. lol
mfb
what? no. taking physical damage from drain is still a drain resistance test.
Frag-o Delux
Who knows, I wrenched my back and Im loaded on pain killers, free Shakespeare for everyone.
Turtle
Why should a TN modifier that is added due to the mental strain of sustaining a magic spell be applied to a Damage Resistance Test, where it is about your body trying to resist the nasty after-effects of getting hit by flying lead? Is not like concentrating harder will make the holes get smaller or anything. biggrin.gif
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Domino)
So if its a spell cast above magic [...]

How does one cast a spell "above magic"?

-------------------------------

The general phrasing of the SR3 rule, "A on all cases of X, except when case Y," is a logical statement.
Critias
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
QUOTE (Domino)
So if its a spell cast above magic [...]

By casting a spell with a force higher than one's magic rating, resulting in physical (rather than stun) Drain.
Turtle
QUOTE (Domino)
So if its a spell cast above magic and does physical damage I dont get the +2, right?

You still get the +2 modifier on your Drain Resistance Test, you simply take Physical damage in contrast to Mental damage. Remember, Drain Resistance =! Damage Resistance. smile.gif
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 16 2006, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (RainOfSteel @ Sep 16 2006, 10:25 AM)

By casting a spell with a force higher than one's magic rating, resulting in physical (rather than stun) Drain.

Oh! Casting a spell with a Force above the Magic Attribute.

Gotcha!
mfb
QUOTE (Turtle)
Why should a TN modifier that is added due to the mental strain of sustaining a magic spell be applied to a Damage Resistance Test, where it is about your body trying to resist the nasty after-effects of getting hit by flying lead? Is not like concentrating harder will make the holes get smaller or anything.

it's not applied to normal damage resistance tests. it's applied to drain resistance tests, whether the drain is stun or physical damage.
Turtle
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Turtle)
Why should a TN modifier that is added due to the mental strain of sustaining a magic spell be applied to a Damage Resistance Test, where it is about your body trying to resist the nasty after-effects of getting hit by flying lead? Is not like concentrating harder will make the holes get smaller or anything.

it's not applied to normal damage resistance tests. it's applied to drain resistance tests, whether the drain is stun or physical damage.

You make it sound as if that should be something new to me...was my post so badly written that it appeared as if I don't know the difference? question.gif
mfb
it sounded like you thought people were saying that the sustaining penalty applied to regular damage resistance tests, yes. i'd missed the post after that, sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012