Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept Centering
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ombre
Stupid question # 489 236

How do you understand the SR4 version of Adept Centering ?

1) My way : Similar to the old rules, the adept rolls (Grade) dice and cancels penalties on a 1 die per hit basis.

2) the other possible interpretation: as a flat reduction of penalties equals to the adept's grade (which seems quite powerful to me...)

Thanks for any metamagic 101 session wink.gif
Slithery D
I read it as directly canceling penalties, no dice rolled. This is consistent with most SR4 metamagic, which avoids extraneous dice rolling as much as it can.

This is actually less powerful than SR3 centering that canceled out much more important target number increases and could be used for other purposes. Some discussion can be found here.
Steak and Spirits
Slithery D has it right on - No rolls are required. It's purely based on initiate grade. If you want to add a twist, you can make them roll their centering skill, and cap successes based on Initiate grade, though.
Slithery D
There are no centering skills anymore, only statless centering methods. Unless you meant the skill you're using centering on to avoid penalties, like a firearms or unarmed combat test with wounds.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Slithery D)
There are no centering skills anymore, only statless centering methods. Unless you meant the skill you're using centering on to avoid penalties, like a firearms or unarmed combat test with wounds.

You're right. Bad phraseology, there.

But when I said:

If you want to add a twist, you can make them roll their centering skill, and cap successes based on Initiate grade, though.

What I meant was:

If you want to add a twist, you can enforce centering skills, much like the previous edition, and force them to roll it, capping successes based on Initiate Grade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012