Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riggers vs. Hackers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Talgian
Hey everyone! So I'm GMing a game with a hacker and rigger (amongst others). The hacker is a troll with a lot of armor and body, as well as great hacking skills, but he has no social skills and is uncouth. Which is why he lives in his armored van.

The rigger, well, we're not sure about the rigger. He has some combat drones, but it always seems like the hacker could just hack them and stop the rigger from using them well.

The rigger is rather hellbent on killing the hacker at some point, and both players are having a lot of fun playing cat and mouse (during chargen nonetheless!). So here are my questions:

1. How, as a GM, should I play up the hacker's complete social inabilty?
2. What does a powerful, combat focused rigger look like?
3. What are some good ways to kill the hacker? He's got 6 body and 12 armor, decent willpower and magic resistance 4. He lives in his customed armored/armed van. (Aside from attacking while he's jacked in)

Thanks!
FrankTrollman
2. Gunnery 6, Cracking and Electronics at 4. Commlink with all 5s and a good pile of programs. And of course, a Control Rig and a Smartlink. And a Steel Lynx or 3 with a ~17 die pool shooting those guns.

3. Call the cops. Seriously, I don't care what your van is armed with, the police of Hong Kong or Seattle can beat it. They can hire sherrifs faster than you can kill them. The lone nut can't win a standup fire fight. You can only hope to survive by fading into the scenery andstriking from darkness. That's just not a compatible strategy with spending your life hemmed into an armored van.

-Frank
Conskill
QUOTE (Talgian)

If a team is lax on magic, you hit them with magic. If a team has poor combat skills, you challange them with combat. If a hacker has terrible social skills, you make him take a few social tests.

There's no shortage of times that you could reasonably call for one -- in fact, if you did one every time you logically should, you'd bog down the game. Every cop that pulls over his illegal van, every security guard he goes past, every confusing club scene, and every sensitive Mr. Johnson meet is a wonderful time for your utterly sociopathic hacker to roll to avoid humping the furniture.
Thanee
QUOTE (Talgian)

I would think that this is the players responsibility. smile.gif

But for you, people will react to him, if they ever come into contact with him, considering, that he will probably want to stay away from them most of the time.

He won't be able to do even routine tasks in a social environment without having people react in some way (laugh, call the police, whatever fits the situation).

3. What are some good ways to kill the hacker? He's got 6 body and 12 armor, decent willpower and magic resistance 4. He lives in his customed armored/armed van. (Aside from attacking while he's jacked in)

Shoot him. A reasonably able shooter (not over-munchy 20+ dice super gun crack, just something normal with 12 dice or so) should be enough to wound him with a decent weapon (i.e. heavy pistol; a submachine gun or assault rifle on burst fire or full automatic should put him in a world of hurt already).

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 20 2006, 09:05 AM)
2. Gunnery 6, Cracking and Electronics at 4.

Do you actually need all those for rigging (Cracking/Electronics), or is it just, because there is enough overlap so it makes no point not to give the Rigger full hacking ability as well?

Additionally, a Pilot skill or three would be useful, I guess (aircraft, anthroform and ground craft mostly).

Bye
Thanee
Suitcase Murphy
QUOTE (Thanee)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 20 2006, 09:05 AM)
2. Gunnery 6, Cracking and Electronics at 4.

Do you actually need all those for rigging (Cracking/Electronics), or is it just, because there is enough overlap so it makes no point not to give the Rigger full hacking ability as well?

You don't need all of those - Cracking, certainly, you can forgo. It's a three skill group, and while you want Hacking and Electronic Warfare, in all likelihood you won't ever really need Cybercombat. You can save 8 BP and get those two at 4 a piece, or you can bump one (I'd go with Elec. Warfare) up to 5 unless you're getting Gunnery 6. Riggers tend to suffer a lot from the skill cap at chargen.
Aaron
QUOTE (Talgian)

As the GM, you simply color the character's perception of the NPCs around him. For example:

To a character without Uncouth
"The waiter approaches your table with a smile, and asks if there is anything else he can get you."

To a character with Uncouth
"The smarmy waiter comes back, a fake smile on his face. He asks about getting something else, like he's pushing you to spend more money. He's also obviously looking for a tip after his terrible service."

"The Lone Star officer approaches your van with one hand on her gun. She asks you why your PAN is in hidden mode."

"The Lone Star officer walks up to your van with one hand on her hip. She asks about your PAN, but you can tell she's just hot for you."

And the like.

QUOTE (Talgian)

Like someone with either a lot of skills or a lot of Pilot programs. And a few very heavy drones. Most of the specifics have already been covered by others.

QUOTE (Talgian)

That particular hacker? I'd start by either blowing out his tires or hitting the vehicle with some electrical damage to shut it down. Then I'd slap a jammer to the side of his van. Then I'd tip the van over, so that it really isn't going anywhere. After that, there are options: open up the van and hit him with Decrease Charisma, roll the van into a lake, drill a hole and fill the interior with Neuro-Stun, drop a set of welding tools and contact a local enclave of ghouls, set the whole thing on fire, open it up and fill the guy so full of lead he dies of Essence loss, whatever.
Talgian
Thanks a lot guys! The game starts on Friday, it should go much smoother now.

-Talgian
Shrike30
Actually, direction jammers are a wonderful anti-hacker or anti-rigger tool. Point it at 'em like a SMG and turn it on, and whammo, no more problems on the matrix or from their drones getting new orders.
FrankTrollman
Yeah, you doon't need Cybercombat, you might never use it. I'd suggest taking the Group anyway simply because it gives you the option of going Hacker if you want to.

From Electronics, you need Hardware and Software. You want Datasearch and Computer. Taking the group is a clear choice.

-Frank
Jaid
i would say cybercombat is worth it just for the same reason minimal unarmed combat skills are almost always worth it... if some hacker gets into the drone you're rigging, you really don't want to be stuck without the ability to defend yourself.
Thanee
What would a rigger (pure rigger, that is) need Hacking skill for?

Bye
Thanee
kzt
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (Talgian)

As the GM, you simply color the character's perception of the NPCs around him. For example:

"The waiter approaches your table with a smile, and asks if there is anything else he can get you."

"The smarmy waiter comes back, a fake smile on his face. He asks about getting something else, like he's pushing you to spend more money. He's also obviously looking for a tip after his terrible service."

"The Lone Star officer approaches your van with one hand on her gun. She asks you why your PAN is in hidden mode."

"The Lone Star officer walks up to your van with one hand on her hip. She asks about your PAN, but you can tell she's just hot for you."

And the like.

I'd never thought of that, but that is so true!!
Jaid
QUOTE (Thanee)

Bye
Thanee

iirc, the rigger programs still require hacking skill in some cases. for example, spoofing another drone to add yourself to it's subscription list or give you an account, you roll hacking + spoof, do you not?

it's probably not quite as important as computer skill (which you would use for analyse, scan, etc) but it's still good for someone who is going to use all the options available to a rigger.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Thanee)

Bye
Thanee

Half the fun of Rigging is using the drones of others against them. And perhaps more importantly the largest risks of rigging are getting cut out of your drones one way or another, or being data tracked back to your commlink. Hacking can be added to:
  • Matrix Defense
  • Spoof Checks
  • Trace Redirection
  • Traffic Interception

You need that stuff. If you don't do it, logs of your wireless traffic will appear on area nodes with your ID and people will be able to trace your commlink down to a city block and set you on fire.

The Hacking skill is the VR "Flexible Signature" and a Rigger needs it to live.

-Frank
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Talgian)

A powerful focused combat rigger will look like a walking metal freak day parade.

Having played one, a rigger will need to be able to transport 3-6 full size arial and ground drones along with some micro drones for recon. With out a vehicle to transport the drones, your rigger will be pretty weak.

As for what equipment and skills? Control rig, Reaction enhancers, cyber eyes w\ Smartlink (if you're really into it, get the occular drone too).

As for skills, piloting skills, Hacking group, Electronics group, gunnery, dodge or athletics, and a really good perception skill, since (IIRC) by rules you won't be using intuition from a drone, only the drone sensor rating + Perception. So if you want to see anything, you'll need a good percep skill. Strangely enough, it appears that you still use agility for gunnery even when you're jumped in.

Be prepared to make a lot of house rules about what riggers can and can't do, riggers are the most rule light archetype in the book, so it's not very clear how spoofing commands should work, or intercepting traffic.

As for way's to kill the hacker, and the hackers social inability:

Um, how did he get 12 armor? It's certainly possible on a troll, with a ballistic shield, but not really any other way. Anyway, use stick'n shock, it resists with 1/2 impact armor, impact is the lower of the two armor ratings usually and with SnS it's halved.

And the hacker can be intimidated by small children, uncouth characters can't default on social skills, so a small child could actually threaten the troll to give back their lollypop and win. Of course the book doesn't say what to do when you have an opposed test and one of the parties in the test can't default and has no skill, but it'd be safe to assume that they fail automatically, or have such a huge dice penalty to their roll that they have no chance anyway, or can only roll if they use edge, or something.
Thanee
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Half the fun of Rigging is using the drones of others against them.

I would think that's more hacking than rigging (or rather a mix between the two), tho.

The Hacking skill is the VR "Flexible Signature" and a Rigger needs it to live.

I see. The two (hacking and rigging) certainly do have some overlap. Thanks!

Bye
Thanee
Shrike30
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
Um, how did he get 12 armor? It's certainly possible on a troll, with a ballistic shield, but not really any other way. Anyway, use stick'n shock, it resists with 1/2 impact armor, impact is the lower of the two armor ratings usually and with SnS it's halved.

Full body armor and a helmet would do it. Or he might have some armor 'ware.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Sep 20 2006, 11:04 AM)

Full body armor and a helmet would do it. Or he might have some armor 'ware.

The game hasn't started yet, they can't have access to availability 14 items.

With a camo suit (8/6), +1/1 for troll-ness, +1/2 for helmet, that leaves them at 10/9, so they'd need either 2 points dermal plating, or 2 points orthoskin. or drop the helmet and go with 3 points orthoskin, for 12/10. It's possible to get that high, but it's pretty expensive.

Either way, the troll will only be rolling 5 armor dice against stick'n shock.
Aaron
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (Talgian)

As the GM, you simply color the character's perception of the NPCs around him.

I wish I could take credit for the idea. I can only take credit for adapting the idea of a fellow named Eric Wujcik.
Thanee
Amber? wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 20 2006, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (Talgian)

As the GM, you simply color the character's perception of the NPCs around him.

I wish I could take credit for the idea. I can only take credit for adapting the idea of a fellow named Eric Wujcik.

Heh. I think the idea predates the release of the books.

But here's kigmatzomat suggesting it in Aug of 2005.

And just for yucks, Here is a thread for October of 2005 talking about pretty much every other portin of the game hat doesn't fall under the Skill + Attribute mechanic and what can be done about it.

-Frank
Aaron
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Aaron @ Sep 20 2006, 03:14 PM)

Heh. I think the idea predates the release of the books.

But here's kigmatzomat suggesting it in Aug of 2005.

And just for yucks, Here is a thread for October of 2005 talking about pretty much every other portin of the game hat doesn't fall under the Skill + Attribute mechanic and what can be done about it.

-Frank

Actually, it does predate the books. In fact, Mr. Wujcik came up with the idea even before that. The book in which I read it was published in 1991 (you got it, Thanee, it was indeed Amber Diceless Role-Playing). I've been using the concept for various role-playing games (including Shadowrun) since around '93, which would be when I read it.

Also ... hey, Frank? I was checking out the links you posted, and while they're great links, I'm not seeing how they're related to what you were quoting. We were talking about the idea of coloring a character's perception of the world around him through narration; the posts you linked seem to be discussing game mechanics. Could you help me out a bit?
Jaid
i'm pretty sure he was actually answering the wrong thread, personally wink.gif

more specifically, i think that post was supposed to go in this thread.

though i could be wrong.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Aaron)
(you got it, Thanee, it was indeed Amber Diceless Role-Playing).

I've actually got that book some where at home.
Smity
QUOTE (Talgian)

You know, Rocket launchers exist for a purpose rotfl.gif

OK OK, seriusly, theres no invulnarable character and as someone mencioned before, putting this one in a social situation will put your misery out ^^

And even if He has magic resistance, a capable mage will toast him in two spells if the group mage insn't back him up. It will just be a little more difficult to the enemy mage that's all.

Another thing is that even with all his body armor and his van, he will had to exit his vehicule for some reason (you know, you still must go to the market for food, or maybe he has to go to some run on foot, etc) and even with good armor and body, a well aimed shoot can frag anyone nyahnyah.gif

If you want a solution with more style, have you think about poison or gas?

And if all of the things mencioned above fail, you still have the rocket biggrin.gif or the C-12 if you preffer something more glorius like to put the big red botton (a love that part ^^)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012