Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need skill wires for this set-up
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Balcon13
I have a PC set up with a Sim Module (Cold), Datajack, and Control Rig. My question is, if I load and activesoft "Pilot Aircraft" Level 4, and "Jump" into the aircraft with Rigger Adaptation and go full VR, do I need Skill wires since its my mind doing the driving and not my body?
Rotbart van Dainig
Yes, you need skillwires.
Balcon13
Thats the think skillwires say, "Skillwires are a system of neuromuscular controllers placed alongside the body's natural nervous system to override muscular movement." Since I don't need muscular movement when I use the cyberwear to drive in full VR then why do I need the wires.
Rotbart van Dainig
Because the rules state that you need skillwires to use activesoft.
The techno-babble explaination is actually crap, as you only need to create an interface to the CNS... but you need that special interface to access the stored motor memories of the activesoft, no matter wheter you actually use muscles or not.
Jaid
besides, you obviously need your muscles to drive with your mind.

after all, you drive using the exact same attribute, whether rigging or not.
Serbitar
My answer would be: No, you do not need skillwires. Matrix-like. Not too unbalanced, as Autosoft actually does the same for drones and you would have paid for the soft (or hacked it).
DireRadiant
Other then the rule you need skillwires to use activesofts, when jumped in p. 239 "Any tests are made using the rigger’s own skill and attributes." Not the drones, so autosofts don't apply. You need skillwires to use activesofts.
Domino
Do what makes sense and using your meat body to control a vehicle you jumped into doesn't make sense.
Jaid
neither does using reaction to drive, or agility to shoot (while rigging, that is).

but, that's how the rules go.
Domino
Agreed use Intelligence for gunnery.
Serbitar
I recommend intuition instead of reaction and agility when jumped in.
Taki
Active soft are designed to help you using your corpse doing a task.

I think you should need a different soft to conduct the plane in VR, even if that seems strange by the rules.
Rotbart van Dainig
Activesoft are stored motor memories. You don't need anything else than those and an interface to access them... and such interface is called skillwires.
Balcon13
So what your saying is that for me to do what I want its nto activesoft programs that I want but knowsoft versions of the pilot skills that way the info is there that I can put through the rigger control while in full VR?
Rotbart van Dainig
No, as you need motor memories to actually do something... be that real or virtual.
Thanee
Another possible answer would be, that you cannot use Activesoft when you go full VR, because Activesoft only works in connection with the neuromuscular connection created by skillwires. wink.gif

If you want to have it the way you are imagining it to work, you would probably need to rewrite parts of the rules, that deal with VR.

Bye
Thanee
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Thanee)
Another possible answer would be, that you cannot use Activesoft when you go full VR, because Activesoft only works in connection with the neuromuscular connection created by skillwires.

Unfortunatly, that would remove any possibility for rigging, as you couldn't even use your own learned motor memories.
Thanee
I don't think those are Activesofts. biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Mahali
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Unfortunatly, that would remove any possibility for rigging, as you couldn't even use your own learned motor memories.

?
Looking at Activesofts that way wouldn't change anything. Your brain is what's learned and controls the bodies actions. "Muscle memory" is just a term used to describe something so ingrained you're not thinking about it ("learned" reflexes). It doesn't remove the brain from the process.

Only thing different would be lack of kinesthetic input which would, presumably, be replaced by drone sensors.

Of course unless the rigger is so familiar with the drones responses that you'd describe them as "motor memories" the rigger won't be as proficient.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Mahali)
?

As there is no difference, if you can't use motor memories stored in activesoft and fed to your CNS via skillwires, you couldn't use your real motor memory, too.

Which would you require to learn a different set of skills for VR alone... possibly knowledge skills, which, subsequently, you can load without skillwires as knowsofts only need a sim module - which is needed for VR anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012