Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advanced lifestyle rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cognitive Resonance
So I love the advanced lifestyle rules presented at the back of Sprawl Survival Guide. Is there an SR4 book that might have these on the hornizion. If not how difficult of a conversion would this section be?
6thDragon
It's extremely easy. I've already done so myself. The only major difference is some of the lifestyle costs have changed. Just recalculate the costs of the lifestyle variations to account for SR4. It's that easy.
SL James
It might be helpful to convert everything to whole numbers, if that's you're thing.
Cognitive Resonance
QUOTE (6thDragon)
It's extremely easy. I've already done so myself. The only major difference is some of the lifestyle costs have changed. Just recalculate the costs of the lifestyle variations to account for SR4. It's that easy.

am I missing something, because it seems to be more than just a matter of scaling from SR3 to SR4
Ferrit
With the price changes to the basic Squatter and Low lifestyles it's pretty easy to redo the beginning of the table in the Sprawl Survival Guide. And here's one I made earlier!

points SR3 SR4 lifestyle
-1 0 0 Street
0 15 50
1 30 125
2 45 200
3 60 275
4 70 350
5 85 425
6 100 500 Squatter
7 250 750
8 400 1000
9 550 1250
10 700 1500
11 850 1750
12 1000 2000 Low
13 1650 2500
14 2350 3000
15 3000 3500
16 3650 4000
17 4350 4500
18 5000 5000 Middle

Gah! The formatting looks rubbish but it works! Part of a spreadsheet I created to do all the hassle of number crunching.
Konsaki
double post
Konsaki
CODE

points SR3     SR4      lifestyle
-1      0       0       Street
0       15     50
1       30     125
2       45     200
3       60     275
4       70     350
5       85     425
6       100    500      Squatter
7       250    750
8       400    1000
9       550    1250
10      700    1500
11      850    1750
12      1000   2000     Low
13      1650   2500
14      2350   3000
15      3000   3500
16      3650   4000
17      4350   4500
18      5000   5000     Middle
Wanderer
Hmm, shouldn't there be some significant changes to the Comforts and Entairtment categories because of the advent of wireless ? On one side, a house stuff can be integrated in one's personal net, on the other, any major fixed equipment is no longer needed for going into the Matrix or experiencing simsense.
And Awakened characters no longer need large spaces for summoning circles, a lodge at most suffices for all their needs.

Moreover, I don't get the reason behind the changes in some lifestyle's prices from SR3 to SR4.

Thanks and good work for the nice conversion table.
FriendoftheDork
Just to be curious, what are the advantages of this system to the current SR4 lifestyle system?
ReallyBored
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Just to be curious, what are the advantages of this system to the current SR4 lifestyle system?

It lets you define your lifestyle in a little more detail. You assign points to 6 categories that determine what your lifestyle is like, and the total number of points determines the cost. So you can have a decent apartment in a bad neighborhood (something between middle and low) and pay a price betwen middle and low for it. Plus, there were edges and flaws available for your home to further customize, so your safehouse could have a nice defensive setup and a secret escape hatch (for an extra cost) or your cheap home might overlook a wall and sewage treatment plant (for a price break).
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (ReallyBored)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

It lets you define your lifestyle in a little more detail. You assign points to 6 categories that determine what your lifestyle is like, and the total number of points determines the cost. So you can have a decent apartment in a bad neighborhood (something between middle and low) and pay a price betwen middle and low for it. Plus, there were edges and flaws available for your home to further customize, so your safehouse could have a nice defensive setup and a secret escape hatch (for an extra cost) or your cheap home might overlook a wall and sewage treatment plant (for a price break).

Cool. Not necessary IMO but it can inspire. Personally I think you can do all that you said without needing rules for it.

Example: Your player wants to live in an abandoned secret undergrown ares tech compund, with no longer electricity, running water or heating. However the complex is fairly large with several rooms and tunnels, well protected at it is undergrown and made of concrete, and the doors (with still operative maglocks) is well camoflagued in the Redmond sewers. The runner is still poor, and can only afford nutrisoy with a few flavors, and his home is otherwise devoid of fuctioning entertainment systems, food processors and other medium-lifestyle utilities.

Although this is basically squatting, I would have the player pay at least low lifestyle, possibly medium if he needed payoffs to the local gangs and bribes to keep any mole-people away. Although if there was something to keep the facility from ever being reused as original (weapons testing) I might keep it at low.

How many points would you use for your system, and what would be the equivalent lifestyle?
ReallyBored
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Cool. Not necessary IMO but it can inspire. Personally I think you can do all that you said without needing rules for it.

Example: Your player wants to live in an abandoned secret undergrown ares tech compund, with no longer electricity, running water or heating. However the complex is fairly large with several rooms and tunnels, well protected at it is undergrown and made of concrete, and the doors (with still operative maglocks) is well camoflagued in the Redmond sewers. The runner is still poor, and can only afford nutrisoy with a few flavors, and his home is otherwise devoid of fuctioning entertainment systems, food processors and other medium-lifestyle utilities.

Although this is basically squatting, I would have the player pay at least low lifestyle, possibly medium if he needed payoffs to the local gangs and bribes to keep any mole-people away. Although if there was something to keep the facility from ever being reused as original (weapons testing) I might keep it at low.

How many points would you use for your system, and what would be the equivalent lifestyle?

It's not exactly my system and I don't have the sprawl survival guide with me at the moment, but I'd eyeball it at:
Area 1 - The area was probably cleared when the complex was built, but it's the Redmond sewers and stuff's probably moving back in
Comforts 1 or 2 - You can steal power, water, etc from somewhere, backups for the maglocks, etc.
Entertainment 0 - As specified, not even a walkman...
Furnishings 0 or 1 - Scavengers haven't taken all the office furniture
Security 4 or 5 - As specified, the basic security still functions
Space 4 or 5 - It was a big complex.

Clocks in at 10-14 points, so right around Low lifestyle. There's probably some edges and flaws that need to be added. Defensive setup, some privacy bonuses, a bunch of negative views, demanding landlord (in this case, the "landlord" is the bribes paid to various groups to stay away), unreliable utilities, maybe a background count. I'd guess it'd end up costing 2000-3000 with all the mods, according to the chart above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012