Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barely even a fight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DarkCrisis
The team is heading off for a run when they encounter a group of ghouls. The ghouls run up and attack.

The Shaman lends his Counterspelling to the group and then Stunball Area Effects everyone (party and ghouls).

Now the Ghouls get 5 whole dice to roll and need success on all of them to not pass out. And yea, I forgot to use Edge dice here but I don;t think it would have mattered much.

Some of the party is put to sleep but ALL of the ghouls are out. The consious runners kill the sleeping ghouls before waking up the members that fell asleep.

Then off they go.

Also, the Shaman likes to call up an Earth Elemental that can pretty much take out one enemy every couple of turns. It's engulfs them which takes them out of the fight and then starts dealing tons of damage to the captured enemy every round. Usually after being engulfed darn near anyone can die after 2 rounds inside. It's brutal.

I guess it's true "Geek the Mage first."... if you get the chance.
James McMurray
Looks about right. Opposition without either magical backup or terrain that hinders the mage is going to be walked over. I do have one question though, how did they "wake up" the party members? Generally stun ball knowcks you out from stun damage and then you have to heal it to be up and about again.
hobgoblin
stim patches?
Balcon13
Sounds like he is trying to turn his team into stim addicts *S*.
Slithery D
Play up the pain (and maxed but one condition monitor when the unconscious ones wake up) experienced by his teammates. Unless there were a lot of ghouls, or they had really dangerous weapons, I'd be pretty pissed at my "buddy" for hitting me with a spell.

"Dude, I could handle it! It's just some blind rotting guy with sharp nails against my monowhip!"

Earth spirits are actually the worst Engulf spirits in the game. Their extra strength doesn't get them extra damage, and their low agility make them the worst at actually getting hits. Fire is better if you really need physical damage, but obviously a Shaman doesn't have that option. Still, if he was smart he'd be using Air spirits. They can generally knock someone out faster than an Earth spirit can kill it, and defend better, too.
lorechaser
Actually, Stim Patches don't even do that in SR4. We assumed they did, but look at the rules.

They allow you to ignore the wound penalties for a number of boxes of stun damage equal to their ratings. They don't heal stun damage at all.
James McMurray
OF course, if you can convince your GM that unconsciousness is a wound penalty you're fine.
Backgammon
IMO:

Your problem was that the Ghouls attacked like retards. I know Ghouls have reduced intelligence and all, but still. Sounds like they all massed up and charged at the PCs in one massive mob, perhaps all neatly lined up.

You should've had the Ghouls come at the runners from differant angles. Since spells are LOS, the mage would only have been able to zap 1 group at a time. Further, you can have the Ghouls come in crawling and jumping around debris and stuff, giving them cover. Remember, cover penalities apply to LOS. Ghouls are probably used to attacking people with guns, while they themselves don't have any. Thus, Ghouls have probably evolved tactics that involve lots of cover and making the targets waste ammo.

Lastly, Ghouls can have shamans amongst them also. If the mage of the group is being "overpowered", time to even it up with your own magic.
ronin3338
QUOTE (James McMurray)
OF course, if you can convince your GM that unconsciousness is a wound penalty you're fine.

GM: OK, what are you doing?
Player: I shoot him.
GM: You're unconscious!
Player: Right, but that should only be a -8 modifier for blind fire, plus I'm stationary so there's no movement penalty. If I need to, I can make it a longshot test...
GM: :bang:
Player: dead.gif
WhiskeyMac
Man, if I was one of the members of that team I would have geeked the mage myself. WTF was he thinking stunballing his own chummers. That's the kinda shit that makes people think you're a corp stooge or an Intelligence 1 player (not character but player). Blasting your own teammates with magic is a good way to come back from astral patrol with no arms, no legs and stuffed in a backpack that is slung over the street samurai's shoulders with your head poking out. There were a lot better ways for the team to clean out those ghouls than letting the team mage pop a stunball on them.

The ghouls definitely should have had at least some tactics to their attack beyond "ZERG RUSH!" Make them jump and use cover next time. Even better, make them use weapons. They are of lower intelligence but that doesn't mean they are zombies. That's what Shedim are for. biggrin.gif
Serbitar
QUOTE (ronin3338)

Player: Right, but that should only be a -8 modifier for blind fire,

JackRipper
Or use the ones that rush up on the PC's as the more feral types that crash in and disrupt while the ghouls with some brain matter still intact exploit the chaos that ensues.
Conskill
QUOTE (DarkCrisis @ Sep 26 2006, 10:09 AM)
Some of the party is put to sleep but ALL of the ghouls are out.  The consious runners kill the sleeping ghouls before waking up the members that fell asleep.

Then off they go.

To emphasise what a few others have said: Stunball is not a "sleep" spell, it's a "I just beat the shit out of you so painfully that you fell unconscious" spell. There's no operative difference between getting slammed with a Stunbolt and getting kicked in the ribs. You don't just wake someone up and go commit fun crimes afterward without at least stims, if not hours to reduce the Stun meter.

Magicians are big guns, they do that sort of thing, but indiscriminate attacks like that right before a run would've (should've?) caused them to abort the entire run.
fistandantilus4.0
We used to have this problem with a mage, but it wasn't stunballs he hit us with "on accident". It was fireballs. He died. We killed him. We never trusted another mage that knew fireball.
Squinky
That would equal a karma penalty in my games, for lack of roleplaying. Nobody wants to get there asses kamikazed for no good reason....
fistandantilus4.0
IF you're refering to my comment, we didn't kill him the first time it happened. We yelled at him. And again the second time. There was some fist shaking the third time. By then we wanted him to play a diff character, but the GM kept him in, and he stuck w/ the character (honestly, because the player wasn't very smart, and managed to get a lot of his characters offed). It was the 6th or so time we had had enough.
Squinky
Nope, I was reffering to the initial post. What you guys did made sense, if someone you are teaming with treats you like that, in the violent world of Shadowrun they get what they deserve.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 27 2006, 12:19 AM)
That would equal a karma penalty in my games, for lack of roleplaying. Nobody wants to get there asses kamikazed for no good reason....

Well to me it depends on the situations.

If there was enough ghouls the shaman had a reasonable belief that they were going to be overrun, then he might even get an extra point for saving the day...

If it was few enough that they should have been easy opposition with perhaps some blood spilt, then rest assured that shaman is NEVER standing behind me.. and I will always be standing behind him... with my alpha keeping him on site... cant stunball me if he is point smile.gif and see how he likes being caught in my area effect!

(edit to fix typo)
Glyph
The shaman was using poor tactics. Ghouls are dual-natured. All that he had to do was astrally percieve, and cast a stunball on the astral plane. He would have still wiped out the ghouls, but his mundane teammates wouldn't have been affected at all.
blakkie
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 26 2006, 07:01 PM)
Nope, I was reffering to the initial post.

Yah, because when faced with duking it out and risking death or becoming a ghoul it is so hard to envision someone that is willing to take good ol' kick to the head in place of that. dead.gif

Not saying he was playing particularly smart, but a roleplaying penalty question.gif ohplease.gif
Squinky
Not a penalty so much, just that any characters that did that kind of silly crap would'nt get the normal point of karma for good roleplaying. I think we can all agree that treating your character like a computer game character isn't good roleplaying.

The initial poster posted in a manner that, to me, meant he thought it wasn't a life or death decision, but a cheesy move.
blakkie
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 26 2006, 09:59 PM)
Not a penalty so much, just that any characters that did that kind of silly crap would'nt get the normal point of karma for good roleplaying. I think we can all agree that treating your character like a computer game character isn't good roleplaying.

I think we can agree that you are working off of some bizzaro definition of good/bad "roleplaying". wobble.gif Further you are then overlaying some bullshit "computer game" judgement on it? question.gif

But really at the heart of it why I wouldn't dick around with karma awards over it is that I've found poor tactics become their own reward.
The initial poster posted in a manner that, to me, meant he thought it wasn't a life or death decision, but a cheesy move.

Cheesy or not, if that's how the game world works then that's how the world works. You know, you could call it cheesy to hide in a closet with ski masks on and then jump out and waste everyone. But hey, apparently it works.
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2006, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 26 2006, 07:01 PM)
Nope, I was reffering to the initial post.

Yah, because when faced with duking it out and risking death or becoming a ghoul it is so hard to envision someone that is willing to take good ol' kick to the head in place of that. dead.gif

Not saying he was playing particularly smart, but a roleplaying penalty question.gif ohplease.gif

Jesus, God.

I agree with blakkie.

It's not like he didn't try to mitigate what happened, or did you all happen to miss the part where he said that, "The Shaman lends his Counterspelling to the group and then Stunball Area Effects everyone?"

What the hell is the point of honor or nobility or any of that shit in this game? The goal of combat is to kill every motherfucker you can, as efficiently as you can, and as fast as you can, with as few casualties as humanly possible.

Oh, noes!!!1!11 Stun damage!!1!

The mage felled the ghouls, and the rest of the team helped clean them up without any risk whatsoever to them because they were either unconscious or already dead.

I don't know what planet you're from, or playing on, but in my book—that's a fucking win. So some teammates got knocked out. They'll live. And the ghouls, however, are still dead. I'd give the Shaman extra karma for creativity, problem-solving, and showing utter ruthlessness in the face of hostiles.

I'd also have the Johnson bitch them out if resting off the Stun damage screwed with the timetable for the run, but if the mission got done, so fucking what?
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Sep 26 2006, 10:42 PM)
Jesus, God.

I agree with blakkie.

Maybe I accidentally ate some smart pills or something?

Nah.
MadDogMaddux
Just on a note, the new Shadowrun novels talk about a spell that "painlessly puts non-magicals to sleep". I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the myth comes from.

I used StunBOLT in my playtest session tonight and EXPECTED it to just be a knockout till I really read the damage code for it.
Jaid
sleep spells would probably be a mental manipulation spell. in fact, i can think of a few that would do the trick... influence probably being one of the best (on account of once permanent, it is no longer resisted until someone else questions what the person is doing).
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 26 2006, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Sep 26 2006, 10:42 PM)
Jesus, God.

I agree with blakkie.

Maybe I accidentally ate some smart pills or something?

Nah.

Can't think of any other explanation.

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Man, if I was one of the members of that team I would have geeked the mage myself. WTF was he thinking stunballing his own chummers. That's the kinda shit that makes people think you're a corp stooge or an Intelligence 1 player (not character but player). Blasting your own teammates with magic is a good way to come back from astral patrol with no arms, no legs and stuffed in a backpack that is slung over the street samurai's shoulders with your head poking out.

That's ... retarded.

I hope you remember that quote, and save it in the back of your mind when, if you are stupid enough to do that, the mage's Player stands by as the GM ass-rapes your PC and your PC's teammates with slow, painful magical death because the only person who could stop it heard what your dumbass PCs did to their team's last mage.

Genius.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 26 2006, 11:05 PM)
sleep spells would probably be a mental manipulation spell. in fact, i can think of a few that would do the trick... influence probably being one of the best (on account of once permanent, it is no longer resisted until someone else questions what the person is doing).

I suspect a Sleep spell that is usuable in typical combat timeframe would be a Sustained spell, not a permanent one, because of the time requirements for permanent spells to take effect. In many ways Turn To Goo is basically a fancy "sleep" spell. smile.gif

EDIT: The spells that decrease the target's mental Attributes I think are even closer to sleep spells if you cast them strong enough. So make it a custom AoE version of Decrease Logic spell and you are cooking.

QUOTE (SL James)
Can't think of any other explanation.

Well there is one other person involved that may have ingested smart pills leading to this rare intersection of opinion.... wink.gif

EDIT: How about we just chalk it up to just being something that painfully obvious. Then we can just enjoy the momment as we smugly look down on Squinky? cool.gif
krayola red
I dunno, it really depends on how many ghouls there were and whether or not the players could've reasonably taken them out without sustaining heavy damage. If so, then the stunball was a pretty stupid tactic, because the shaman's teammates would be sporting some hefty wound penalties for the rest of the run. I'll be pretty damn pissed if the team mage drops a stunball on me every time we encounter any opposition, counterspelling or no counterspelling.

If not, if the team wouldn't have been able to defeat the ghouls otherwise, then yeah, the shaman played it right. Although, as Glyph said, there was a universally better solution to the problem that wasn't applied in this situation.
Jaid
who says you only ever want to put people to sleep when you're in the middle of combat?
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie)
EDIT: How about we just chalk it up to just being something that painfully obvious. Then we can just enjoy the momment as we smugly look down on Squinky? cool.gif

Deal.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 26 2006, 11:35 PM)
who says you only ever want to put people to sleep when you're in the middle of combat?

Because if you take too long to do it then combat tends to happen anyway? biggrin.gif

Really combat is the context we are talking about here. Not that a permanent version wouldn't be an interesting thing in and of itself, just not really applicable to the situation the thread was talking about. Plus a sleep spell that takes a while to bite in is something other that an analogue to the D&D version.
Jaid
QUOTE (blakkie)

Because if you take too long to do it then combat tends to happen anyway? biggrin.gif

Really combat is the context we are talking about here. Not that a permanent version wouldn't be an interesting thing in and of itself, just not really applicable to the situation the thread was talking about. Plus a sleep spell that takes a while to bite in is something other that an analogue to the D&D version.

why would it take time to have an effect? it starts working immediately. you sustain it for X rounds, it becomes permanent, and then it keeps going indefinitely.

there's no delay in it starting. just implant a firm belief that it's more important to just lie down and sleep, right this very instant, then it is to do anything else, and they fall asleep.

of course, for combat situations, you're probably going to want one of the other mind control spells... specifically, the ones that affect an area, and don't risk being broken if their buddy is unaffected, or because they have a hacker on overwatch who contacts them through their commlink =P
laughingowl
GM of the game..

Agree the only real action is:

1) If the stun damage caused a delay in the timetable. (No way to heal stun save an hour of complete rest.... (so if party KNOCKED out, they down for atleast one complete hour, and likely a few more until no modifers) (now as a I am EVIL GM note: Sewers are a VERY VERY bad place to be lying unconcious for a full hour, and the while Stims allow you to ignore the modifers they dont say they awake you from unconcousness!

2) If the below becomes a problem and the GM intervenes in the nature of preseving party harmony...

Now as the other PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there were enough ghouls that I was seriously afraid some of us might be in danger of getting infected.. I MIGHT accept the shamans actions.

However if the shaman paniced / over-reacted / etc and I felt the only danger I was really in was lying unconcous on in the sewers for an hour... then it would be made very simple that me and the shaman are never on the same job again. I WOULD finish the job (took it you finish it until the Johnson screws you), BUT the shaman is INFRONT OF ME, and if I see his eyes turn towards me, its fair game...

As a player unless we were in serous damage (aka willing to pop smoke on yoor location in a good ole 'Nam game) I would be very upset with the shaman if I took an unexpected nap in the middle of the sewers

To me the OP's is a little vague. So I could still see it being each way...

If a desperate move and thought the party was deeply fragged (and the party agrees) then yeah a gamble that paid off...

But like any gamble you dont gamble something you cant afford to lose.... and he was gambling with their lives.

GM: I would just watch the players...

Players: First time, I would generally tell (IC) the shaman, that that had better be a very rare occurence and truly when in deep kimche. If it happened again and/or I felt it might happen again, as above that shaman aint walkin behind me, and I will be waiting to put rounds in his eyes if he looks at me.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 27 2006, 12:40 AM)

why would it take time to have an effect? it starts working immediately. you sustain it for X rounds, it becomes permanent, and then it keeps going indefinitely.

there's no delay in it starting. just implant a firm belief that it's more important to just lie down and sleep, right this very instant, then it is to do anything else, and they fall asleep.

That certainly isn't how Ignite works, or Stablize either. *shrug* The others aren't that well defined as to what the effects are during the window between casting and becoming permanent.
WhiskeyMac
That's ... retarded.

I hope you remember that quote, and save it in the back of your mind when, if you are stupid enough to do that, the mage's Player stands by as the GM ass-rapes your PC and your PC's teammates with slow, painful magical death because the only person who could stop it heard what your dumbass PCs did to their team's last mage.

Genius.

Right back at you. This coming from the guy who wants to reward the stupid fuck who decides it's ok to fire on his own teammates. And then have the Johnson bitch them out because they are healing the wounds from his retarded tactic. Hmm, yeah, guess that makes me the retarded one. sarcastic.gif

Friendly fire kills more often than unfriendly fire. Murphy taught us that. If he had done it in a panic because he has flashbacks from a ghoul attack on his family, then yeah, it makes sense. Otherwise I'd have his ass walking point with my gun to his braincase.

And why the fuck would a GM magic-rape the PCs for killing a guy who attacks his own people. Any magic-user worth his salt wouldn't have done it in the first place, would nod sagely when told the story and say "he got what he deserved." Magic users would still work with the PCs because they wouldn't be dumb enough to fire on their own teammates. eek.gif
laughingowl
Well I have to agree after the fact, stuffing you mage into a backpack might be a little much...

Simply don't associate with him if hes not quality work (and spread the word why).

Now if he looked like he was trying the crap again DURING the run... firmly reminding him to keep his eyes off you wouldn't be out of place.

Then again this all goes to the point of was it overkill...!!!!!!!!!!!

General posts seem to think it was.... and in most cases I could agree.

However if THIS was the scenario:

You are all heading down the sewer (dramatic roll of dice from GM). Suddenly the shadows and the water erupt as 8 ghouls lunge out on top of you.

Bob, Bill,Tammy you all are surprised.

Shaman-man you notice the water ripple and seem them as they are lunging out... roll initiative.

If they ghouls were ONTOP of the party (good chance people were going to get hit, if shaman didnt drop them all before they could act) and most of the party was out (or enough that the ghouls would get several attacks (and cahnce to infect)... Then I would be buying the shaman a new lodge, 10 pounds of orichalcum, and BigD's secrets of the meta-plans with personal notations / and travel notes! smile.gif

All depends on hearing the FULL story.
Critias
Honestly, I'd say the validity of this tactic depends wholly upon the party, and the number/strength of ghouls attacking them.

If the rest of the team hadn't even gone yet, or there were comparatively few ghouls attacking a combat-savvy team, I'd say the sudden stunball might be a bit overkill. It's still not as bad as, for instance, a fireball or powerball or grenade or something -- but it could be seen as excessive, if there was no clear cut need for it.

However -- if the team had already acted and not many ghouls got dropped, if the team was towards the end of a job (low on ammo, maybe already injured, or otherwise unable to fight well), or if there'd been a hugely dangerous number of ghouls (that may or may not have been more offensively-capable than your average ghoul)...well, shit, man. Kudos to him. No one got bit, no one got infected, no one got killed. One gesture KO'ed every bad guy, and that's one rabid pack of man-eaters that ain't gonna fuck with you ever again. Sure, it probably sucked to wake up after your buddy knocked your ass out by flooding your aura with magical "fuck you" power, but when you looked around and saw a parking lot full of dead ghouls, and saw there wasn't a single tooth mark on ya...? Well, shit. Sin forgiven, y'know?

It worked. And that, and that alone, is the final judge as to whether any given tactic is stupid or not.
Oracle
I'd make sure that such tactics don't become a habit of the shaman and then thank him for saving me from the possibility of being turned into a stinking, blind, maneating monstrosity.
toturi
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac @ Sep 27 2006, 02:51 PM)
That's ... retarded.

Genius.

Right back at you. This coming from the guy who wants to reward the stupid fuck who decides it's ok to fire on his own teammates. And then have the Johnson bitch them out because they are healing the wounds from his retarded tactic. Hmm, yeah, guess that makes me the retarded one. sarcastic.gif

Friendly fire kills more often than unfriendly fire. Murphy taught us that. If he had done it in a panic because he has flashbacks from a ghoul attack on his family, then yeah, it makes sense. Otherwise I'd have his ass walking point with my gun to his braincase.

And why the fuck would a GM magic-rape the PCs for killing a guy who attacks his own people. Any magic-user worth his salt wouldn't have done it in the first place, would nod sagely when told the story and say "he got what he deserved." Magic users would still work with the PCs because they wouldn't be dumb enough to fire on their own teammates. eek.gif

Consider:

Team X goes on a run. Team X has a magical asset that cast a combat that hit the rest of the team. Team X comes back with said asset in a backpack. Team X claims that said magical talent kept casting AOE spells that hurt them as well as the enemy. The question then: Does Fixer F who brought the team together for the job believe the team?

Why won't the GM exploit the PC interaction and attack the team with magic? If said team mate was to force mage to walk point, will mage want to provide counterspelling?

Any Awaken asset worth his salt will nod and agree and WILL NOT want to work with you, because he doesn't know if you are telling him the whole truth(apart from using a spell/s on you to find out). All he really would know for sure is that you geeked a teammate that you CLAIM was causing you grief. If said magical team mate DID NOT have a rep for friendly fire, guess what that looks like? To any experienced runner, that looks like you deliberately fragged a team mate and cooked up a story to cover it up. The only way you are going to get a "get what he deserved" response is if you got the Face to do the telling and hope the mage did not have a (relative/friend/etc) that has a better appropriate Social Skill than your Face.

It worked. And that, and that alone, is the final judge as to whether any given tactic is stupid or not.

Quoted for truth. I won't care if a tactic is stupid as long as it gets me the result I want. In fact more stupid tactics may work when smarter ones will not. And just like what Mr Murphy taught you, Keep It Simple, STUPID!
SL James
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 27 2006, 01:43 AM)
It worked.  And that, and that alone, is the final judge as to whether any given tactic is stupid or not.

Damn straight. I don't care if it was overreaction, a mistake, or a ruthless attempt by a munchkin. What he did worked, and damn the insignificant consequences.

QUOTE (toturi)
Any Awaken asset worth his salt will nod and agree and WILL NOT want to work with you, because he doesn't know if you are telling him the whole truth(apart from using a spell/s on you to find out). All he really would know for sure is that you geeked a teammate that you CLAIM was causing you grief. If said magical team mate DID NOT have a rep for friendly fire, guess what that looks like? To any experienced runner, that looks like you deliberately fragged a team mate and cooked up a story to cover it up. The only way you are going to get a "get what he deserved" response is if you got the Face to do the telling and hope the mage did not have a (relative/friend/etc) that has a better appropriate Social Skill than your Face.

QFT.

When it comes to a mage deciding who's telling the truth, the perfectly healthy mundanes or the one dismembered body of their former mage there is no question. Unless, like toturi said, the Face has a sterling silver tongue combined with a horrible rep for the mage. Even then. I'd tell the PCs to fuck themselves sideways with a rusted Buick.

And I'd tell the other Players likewise before I leave to find myself a group not filled with idiots who kill fellow PCs for the smallest thing.

And people wonder why RPG players have reps as being social castoffs.
toturi
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 27 2006, 01:43 AM)
It worked.  And that, and that alone, is the final judge as to whether any given tactic is stupid or not.

Good lord. The world is going to come to an end.

If that works, where can I get a "Good lord"? biggrin.gif
SL James
Gods R Us

Isn't that where you shop for deities and demigods?
Mistwalker
To me it would depend on the situation.

If I didn't think it was merited, I would talk to the shaman about his actions. If it kept happening, as the "last" run, I would either leave the team, or if the rest of the team agreed with me, tell the shaman to leave.

Reputations in the shadows is supposed to be important, so I would not frag over mine, I would be professional about it.

Now, if I was a forever and a day grudge carrying char, I might geek the shaman at a later point, when there is no reference to me.
But since I am not...
kigmatzomat
This isn't really much different from a sammie using stun grenades in close proximity to the party. With the exception that the mage was able to put a layer of armor around everyone thanks to counterspelling. Depending on circumstances it is somewhere between "If its stupid but it worked then it ain't stupid" and "A pyrrhic victory that put the real objective out of reach."

This is a stupid tactic to use on entry but if the party was on the way out with daylight ahead and these ghouls are the last straw then it merely becomes desperate.

I've done desperate multiple times on runs. My sam had a physad grappled while the mage pulled the pin on one of the physad's grenades. A party mage once desperately summoned a force15 spirit to deal with a dragon (yeah, having that go wild was bad but it distracted the dragon). One of my physads charged an AFV with a battleaxe b/c it was closer than cover (I managed to wedge my axe in the AFV's cannon barrel and barely go to the otherside before kablooey).

Desperate is never a good idea. But sometimes it is the right idea.
DarkCrisis
The team was in the Redman Barrens heading to a contact for some info.

They get jumped by ghouls walking down the street.

They were out numbered about 2 to 1. The Shaman is not geared toward combat. He relies on his elemental for damage.

The have one Street Sam who while dishing out damage was also recieving it.

Really it wasn't going well.

The Technomancer dropped from wounds and at that point the Shaman used th eonly offensive spell he knows. He dropped it on everyone and the battle was over.

As for the ghouls, they were originally hiding in an ally. They saw a car go buy and threw a molotov cocktail on it. The car bursts into flames and the driver gets out and tries to flee. The ghouls then leapt out of hiding, tackled him and started having lunch.

This is all about 1 street down fromt he corner the team is standing on. The ghouls see more meat and decide it's thier lucky day and charge at the team.

Honestly, I thought the ghouls would get wiped pretty quickly, but as it turned out the party wasn't doing to well in the combat BUT the Shaman saved the day, though I think it was a tad to powerful. So yea, Geek the Mage first.
Mistwalker
In that case, I would have had no problem with what the shaman did. Would even buy him/her a few drinks.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Oracle)
I'd make sure that such tactics don't become a habit of the shaman and then thank him for saving me from the possibility of being turned into a stinking, blind, maneating monstrosity.

I think that's it right there.

My response would have been. "Damn. That *hurt*." *looks around, see lots of dead ghouls.* "Jesus, Shammy Sam. You saved our ass. Thanks. If you ever do it like that again, I'll put a bullet in your skull."

Then proceed to discuss a few emergency plans. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
A better solution perhaps would have been to come up with some sort of Hellsing-style target exclusion device to avoid hurting comrades. But with a reasonably non-military low-tech shaman, that's probably something they don't have. So that's not an option.

And if you can't use the better option you use the worse option. I don't know why that's even controversial. I don't know why player characters would get angry about it even. Sometimes the only weapon is a canister of tear gas. If the situation calls for it, you use it, and if it hurts you or your friends oh well.

Under the circumstances, the other players should just be glad that wasn't a can of Green Ring 8 or a Power Ball. Because if that was the only weapon then it still would have been deployed.

-Frank
Vaevictis
#1. Getting knocked out is better than getting eaten.
#2. Getting knocked out is better than getting eaten.
#3. GETTING KNOCKED OUT IS BETTER THAN GETTING EATEN.

I'm pretty sure that's all that needs be said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012