Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Wonazer
Please, use this space to argue over dead horse and other topics.
Zach21035
So, how about those called shots ignoring armor? smile.gif
Hida Tsuzua
Can I call a shot with my dikoted Ares Viper Slivergun and ignore armor while having sex with my ally spirit (assuming I paid for dinner)?
sidekick
is the Ally spirit Dikoted also?
RedmondLarry
You are misinterpreting my remarks. I'm sure it is deliberate.
D.Generate
what good would having a gun dikoted do? now a dikoted manifested spirit could be fun to play around with. assuming that the manifest was strong enough to survive being dipped in the plasma hot dikote bath.
Kanada Ten
What about a Dikote Spirit? Would that be the child of a Salamander and a Gnome (Spirit of the Earth Thing?) OR the child of a Fire and Earth Elemental?
Street Wyze
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
What about a Dikote Spirit? Would that be the child of a Salamander and a Gnome (Spirit of the Earth Thing?) OR the child of a Fire and Earth Elemental?

Not quite. How about the offspring of an ally spirit in the form of a furnace and a Gnome (Meta-varient)? grinbig.gif

P.S. Furnace is Dikoted also.
Seville
QUOTE (OurTeam)
You are misinterpreting my remarks. I'm sure it is deliberate.

That's a logical fallacy. I learned that when I studied Eastern Philosophy with my kickboxing instructor
Kagetenshi
Liar. I'm a street punk who can kill any black belt, but then I went to the mystical kung-fu dojo and can cast magic spells.
And if you don't munch your characters, you aren't roleplaying properly and are doing a disservice to your players.
And you used the word canon. Die.

~J

Postscript: where did Wrathful Buddha go, anyway?
Kanada Ten
Where I should be. Back to work.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Aw, man...how about we keep the silliness to a minimum, eh?
BitBasher
You ex post facto'd my ipso facto ying yang [latin phrase here] whangdoodle. stop that.

These thread are only good for the silly because they have no emotional attachment or content like is generated by a legitimate thread. It's a lost cause.
ialdabaoth
PICKLES!!! And also, FROSTY DONUTS!!!
Kagetenshi
So, does anyone else get random phrases stuck in their head? I've been dealing with a few for the past year or so... mostly "7.65 mm rifle" and "buy a shotgun and head for the hills".
On a side note, in Spriggan/Striker Yu Ominae is noted as having a 7.65 mm rifle. Does this caliber actually exist or was it a mistake for 7.62? (Specifically it was in Spriggan/Striker and the Forest of No Return)

~J
sidekick
Man, the rules for combat in this cyberpunk fantasy game bare no bearing to reality!

PS: What if I turned my dikoted Ally spirit into FFBA and stacked it with another dikoted Ally spirit in the form of a Secure Jacket ?
Kanada Ten
You would die from exertion by the encumberance rules.
Modesitt
There are absolutely no problems with the rules in SR because a good GM can make anything work and anyone that believes otherwise is a worthless rollplayer that has sex with munchkins and gay wookies every night.

I've banned the following from my games because they're overpowered.

Artwinkulation
Mnemonic enhancer
Smartlinks
Wired Reflexes
Assault rifles
Datajacks
Cybereyes
Ex-explosive ammo
Elves
Silencers
sidekick
Nu-uh... I could have sworn there was some obscure and misquoted rule that I heard about second hand that says I'm right and you are wrong.
Wonazer
QUOTE (BitBasher)
These thread are only good for the silly because they have no emotional attachment or content like is generated by a legitimate thread. It's a lost cause.

Lost cause? No, I think I acommplished my goal. smile.gif
RedmondLarry
I don't have my books with me right now, but I'm sure you haven't accomplished your goal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I just like to type and make you read what I type even if I respect you so little that I won't take the time to look it up. Sexcuse my spelling, but my time is so important and my words are so important that you should be able to figure it out even if my memory isn't so good and did I say that maybe it's a house rule but I don't remember which is a house rule and which isn't because I can't afford to buy the books or take the time to search previous postings but you know what I mean and can you tell me your best designed spells to cast while in the matrix using our house rules because this is a contest and I'll award a prize to the one who wins the game.
Wonazer
OurTeam, that was great! We should get together for coffee sometime!
Traks
Coffee or watching together newest BTL chips?

And if you sleep with underage spirit, will spirit police come and arrest you?
phelious fogg
yes
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Traks)
And if you sleep with underage spirit, will spirit police come and arrest you?

QUOTE (phelious fogg)
yes

So I have to wait 18 years before I can have sex with my dikoted loa possessed kami ally spirit? That just doesn't seem fair... is that a canon ruling? Because if you can't quote it book and page, it's a house rule. And you know what we do with house rulers around here. Get a rope.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
On a side note, in Spriggan/Striker Yu Ominae is noted as having a 7.65 mm rifle. Does this caliber actually exist or was it a mistake for 7.62? (Specifically it was in Spriggan/Striker and the Forest of No Return)

There is at least one that I know of, used in some late 19th/early 20th century bolt action rifles from South America (like the Argentinian M1909) and was also available as a chambering for the FN-49 semi-auto rifle, in which it was adapted as the Argentinian service weapon.

I don't know what the official name of the caliber is, however, since I saw at least 7.65x53/7.65x54/7.65x57 Argentinian/Mauser. But whatever it's called, it does seem to exist.
Kagetenshi
dudes, can u tell me where 2 get teh books online for free? I dont wanna spend my money on shit like this, but it's a gr8 game and I want 2 play.

~J

Postscript: Damn, it's harder than it looks to properly butcher the English language. By the by, thanks Austere.
Siege
Which makes no sense, considering how often people manage to do it.

And Kage, I know you're being sarcastic. I'm just waiting to see how many people miss the </sarcasm> tag.

-Siege
Wonazer
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Oct 22 2003, 11:24 AM)
dudes, can u tell me where 2 get teh books online for free? I dont wanna spend my money on shit like this, but it's a gr8 game and I want 2 play.

(I know you were joking, but I wanted to address this...)
Kage, I will admit to downloading books from Kazaa. But, I wouldn't suggest doing it. The clarity is horrid! I can read more from my arse on a copy machine than I can from the books I find on Kazaa.

Save your eyes and go buy the book!

(Not to imply that you were doing this...)
Kagetenshi
That's true. Maybe we should flood the 'net with pirated copies of the original version of Rigger 3, made in such a way as to be unsearchable... oh, and missing the table of contents...

~J
Enkeli
QUOTE (Modesitt)

Smartlinks
Assault rifles
Datajacks
Cybereyes
Ex-explosive ammo
Silencers

I would like to hear why these are overpowered?
Wonazer
rotfl.gif

Someone missed the /sarcasm tag...
Enkeli
One can never know when one of these posts are for real. smile.gif
Wonazer
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That's true. Maybe we should flood the 'net with pirated copies of the original version of Rigger 3, made in such a way as to be unsearchable... oh, and missing the table of contents...

~J

I had downloaded the Seattle Sourcebook (I could not find it locally) to see the map of the main Downtown area so that I could find the location of the Renraku arcology. I was stunned that I could not read the street names on the map, the table of contents was blurry near the corners of the pages and those entries near there were illegible.

That's the last time I rely on that source for research. Next time I am going to head to more bookstore/hobby shops...
Wonazer
QUOTE (Enkeli)
One can never know when one of these posts are for real. smile.gif

Heh, this entire thread is a joke.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Enkeli @ Oct 22 2003, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Modesitt @ Oct 22 2003, 06:32 AM)

Smartlinks
Assault rifles
Datajacks
Cybereyes
Ex-explosive ammo
Silencers

I would like to hear why these are overpowered?

Going down the list:

Smartlinks: They give a -2 to TNs when internal, -1 when external! I mean, man! We're talking major increases in lethality here!
Assault Rifles: Assault rifles are military weapons, utterly inappropriate for a GRITTY, STREET-LEVEL game like Shadowrun. Assault rifles are for munchkins.
Datajacks: Don't even get me started. These things let you interact with electronics DIRECTLY. I mean, hell, you can DECK with those things, which aside from being broken also SLOWS DOWN THE GAME because NO ONE KNOWS THE RULES AND THEN THEY SAY IT BOGS DOWN.
Cybereyes... c'mon. .5 essence worth of upgrades for FREE! So broken.
Ex-ex? Man, that stuff has better penetration than FMJ rounds for some WHACKED reason. Wanna break through a door? Load up the EX-EX.
Silencers? Well, if you let people use silencers, they might actually be able to USE A FIREARM without getting COMPLETELY SLAUGHTERED. That's completely against the principle of IF YOU FIRE A SHOT THE RUN IS HOSED.

~J
Wonazer
Damn, for a moment there, you almost had me. That was hilarious!
spotlite
I'm going to hope I'm not a target for this satire, and say that in MY game we have fifty million house rules which are all written down with the skill of a middle ages illuminati monk on authentic parchment, which is for the express purpose of filling up the time of someone who insists on 'canon' whether it makes any sense or not and refuses to play unless pre-breifed on all the 'non-canon' rules as defined by him, and we do this so that the rest of us can GET ON WITH THE DAMN GAME.

Ahem. wink.gif
Wonazer
QUOTE (spotlite)
I'm going to hope I'm not a target for this satire, and say that in MY game we have fifty million house rules which are all written down with the skill of a middle ages illuminati monk on authentic parchment, which is for the express purpose of filling up the time of someone who insists on 'canon' whether it makes any sense or not and refuses to play unless pre-breifed on all the 'non-canon' rules as defined by him, and we do this so that the rest of us can GET ON WITH THE DAMN GAME.

Ahem. wink.gif

Hooah!
Traks
You can always go to run with a couple of baseball bats.
And cars are too overpowered. You should go everywhere with bycicle or legs.
Or else game becomes too fast-paced smile.gif
Grimtooth
Going back to Kage's post about silencers.

Why not user poor man's silencer? The 2 liter bottle. I'm not sure if it really works, but if it did the runners would still leave being plastic with GSR on it right?

whoops Behing not being

oh forget it.
Siege
I've never tried it personally, but according to various second-hand sources it seems to work.

-Siege
Buzzed
Wetwork runs, I will pay you to snipe this guy in the head.

If you fire a shot the run is hosed!

I guess you fail either way.
sidekick
Guys, we're getting off topic, and by that, I mean we're not talking about how awesome my new character is. I mean he is so sweet. He has 15s in every stat, and rolls 50 dice when shooting people at a -27 TN with his dual Ares Cobra Slicerguns (a totally sweet mod I made of the Ares Viper Slivergun that does FA 20D AV shots with no recoil, 300 rounds, and a conceal of 15...it's totally by the book when I used the house rules on this site I found) . oh, and he is a shaman/physad/decker/elf/face/cyberzombie/Mage/drake/troll/free spirit/dikoted/drone rigger. With him, I can totally win the Shadowrun!
Wonazer
With him, I can totally win the Shadowrun!

notworthy.gif Bowdown to he who has won the game...

Can you teach me, oh mighty one?
Kagetenshi
Man, the GM said I fell unconscious when I suffered a Deadly physical wound! Is that railroading or what? I mean, <i>I</i> didn't say my character fell unconscious!

~J
spotlite
that's nothing. Mine said I felt ill when i ate some fugu five. It doesn't say you feel ill, its says nausea! that means throwing up and feeling sick, when I feel ill - and its commonly accepted knowledge that my opinion is right, remember - I get a blocked up nose! It doesn't say that I feel 'ill' by my definition in the book, so I walked out of the game. That showed him. He admitted it to, but then he made some stuff up that it actually only showed him what a PGT I am, but he was obviously using a dubious set of reasoning parameters. It was all because of some stupid railroaded plot as well where all I'd done was opened this can of stuff in a chemists lab and drank it because if random objects could be dangerous I should have been told - and in the book it doesn' t mention them being so they can't be unless the GM is using another stupid house rule without telling me first...

okay, I'll stop now, cos I'm just venting.

But anyway, all that aside, I think you'll find that cars are not at all overpowered. It is in fact skills which are overpowered. I mean, think about it: you have a pistols rating of six and you can actually shoot people with it! If that's not an sneaky GM carte blanche to get players I don't know what is! What next, 'ammunition'?
k1tsune
OMG shadowrun is like so cool its almost better than pokemon but not quite cuz it doeznt have cards and stuff and its not animie enough you know
i wanna play a samurai deker wizard who can sumon big demonz with his sword
a big sword like clouds from final fantasy!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
Shadow
I had players who road to there missions on the city bus. Seattle hasa great Metro system you can get anywhere on the bus.
Hot Wheels
Boy with all the forbidden topics I'm surprised no one mentioned my Vampire ninja CZ. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012